Mastery Points

Home Forums Angry Birds Epic Forum Mastery Points

Viewing 25 replies - 176 through 200 (of 2,264 total)
  • Replies
  • KerrAvon
    @kerravon

@partshade Wizards description says that his stun is also for 2 turns. You will have to try a different stun attack to confirm this – such as Blues egg surprise.

Anonymous

@kerravon You miss understood me. I never used Wizards Energize power on Red. It wasn’t even active. I just used him as a 3rd bird. I did use Rogues Cupcake Trap.

Bubbley
    @bubbley

@kerravon does the 200% effect from the nightmare set apply if you use any of Matilda’s head gear or only if you take Bard?

KerrAvon
    @kerravon

@bubbley The 200% bonus damage from the nightmare set applies for all of Matilda’s classes. Bard just has a better chance of stunning an opponent, and hence inflicting the bonus damage.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

Hi @all — I’ve been away for a couple of days. There seems to be a lot of interesting info to catch up on.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@kerravon et al. — Please don’t highjack threads. It’s really easy to start a new one. Since none of you did, I did”

Maximum Damage Teams

I will try to summarize your comments when I have time, or you could post your current thoughts in that thread.
    Thanks.

KerrAvon
    @kerravon

@mvnla2 Sorry for high jacking the thread. I realized it went off topic and wasn’t sure whether it was worthwhile starting a new forum thread. I’ll add a post in the new forum thread with the important points when I get a chance later tonight.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

Thanks @KerrAvon — It wouldn’t have been so bad if another group hadn’t started posting stuff about mastery in the snoutlings thread! It does help if posts about a subject are in the thread on that subject, not some other thread.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

This post is a summary of the mastery discussion that occurred in the snoutlings thread. It is heavily edited, and the order of some posts have been changed. I hope I gave credit to everyone appropriately, and didn’t distort what you said.

@partshade: Asked if there might another castle that gives more mastery than SRC if your primary objective was mastery rather than snoutlings.

@graugeist
    and @toothgnasher pointed out that King Pig Castle and Desert Pig Castle, which have Prince Porky at the end can’t be won on autoplay.

@greatleo
    : In addition, because of the combinations of ignoring high damage and low damage, you’re limited both on the character classes you can use, but also on which weapon sets they carry.

@toothgnasher
    : Ultimately, however to maximize Mastery (or Snoutlings) you want three things to be true:
1. You can autoplay it so there is less effort on your part. Obviously the longer it can run by itself, the less you have to intervene.
2. You must have a combination that will reliably survive at least to some specific wave.
3. It autoplays quickly. Things that prevent quick autoplay include: lots of piggies who each take a turn, pigs that summon or regenerate, and pigs that heal heavily or shield themselves. KPC and DPC do not have regeneration or summoning, but there are pigs that shield and heal (and reduce the birds damage).
    One of the advantages of only playing a few waves (or only the first wave) before restarting is that you don’t have to have a healer in the group – but you may have to restart every 30 seconds. See my “Automated Mastery and Snoutlings” that I posted earlier.
    IMHO the single most useful power up is the Golden Chili. The autoplay is not smart enough to use the Golden Chili until the second attack, however.

@killerkea
    : The best place to gain mastery was the 9 wave Into the Void event because almost every wave had 6-7 enemies and most of them didn’t do much damage. Hopefully they have a similar event to this later on, but they changed things so you can’t restart events now.

@greatleo
    : On Dec. 1st I measured the mastery increases for Desert Pig Castle and Star Reef Castle in back-to-back attacks using the same characters, and got a surprising result: SRC is much better. I expected them to be the same.
    Here’s the data, showing before and after “Mastery to Next Rank”:
    Desert Pig Castle
Samurai (Mastery 9): 30636 – 30594 = 42
Capt’n (Mastery 8): 10249 – 10207 = 42
Marksmen (Mastery 9): 47980 – 47938 = 42
    Star Reef Castle
Samurai (Mastery 9): 30587 – 30531 = 56
Capt’n (Mastery 8): 10200 – 10144 = 56
Marksmen (Mastery 9): 47931 – 47875 = 56
    I re-measured SRC just now, since it almost seemed to good to be true, and it’s even better than before:
    Samurai (Mastery 9): 29010 – 28947 = 63
Capt’n (Mastery 8): 8605 – 8542 = 63
Marksmen (Mastery 9): 46875 – 46812 = 63

@burbman
    to @greatleo – interesting observation! I wonder if this is a case of small sample size affecting the results. Looks like you only got 6 mastery drops in DPC while SRC gave you 8 and 9 in the two runs respectively (mastery in castles seems to drop in multiples of 7).

@dr_ishmael
    to @greatleo Mastery is random. You always get the same number of points from each drop, but pigs don’t always drop mastery. When a pig dies and the XP stars and snoutlings pop out, you’ll sometimes see a mastery ribbon above them. That means you earned mastery points from that pig.
    “Big” pigs drop double mastery – mustache, wizard, armored, brute, Porky/Wizpig – but it’s still a fixed amount per pig.

@dr_ishmael
    to @burbman Yep, Leo’s 3 runs aren’t enough to draw any firm conclusions. However, his experiences match my statistical projections – Desert and Mountain are the worst castles for farming mastery.
    [MV Edit]: In the table

Mastery Points

the potential is the total mastery points you would get for that wave if every pig in the wave dropped mastery. As I said, pigs don’t drop mastery all the time, so you’ll usually see something less than that number. However, if my assumption that all pigs have the same drop rate is correct, then the amount you actually receive will average out over time to be some percentage of the potential total. Thus, I made the comparisons and projections based on the potential totals since I haven’t taken time to figure out the drop rate yet.
    I ignored the boss waves because not all teams can beat them all the time. Porky appears in every castle except SRC, which is why SRC has the lowest threshold – you just have to deal more damage than Wizpig can heal. If it takes more than 4 rounds for the last wave with Wizpig in SCR or Prince Porky in the others, I’d suggest restarting when you reach the last wave (unless you need the snoutlings) – it should improve your mastery/time ratio.
    These are only statistical projections – obviously different teams will find some castles easier than other teams. Where I’m at (XP level 41 / all classes rank 8+ / level 41 weapon for each bird), only Rainbird and Druid deal less damage than the Ironclad threshold (247), which means I don’t have any trouble with KPC.
    King Pig is statistically the best when considering the full 4 waves before the boss, but the first wave of Cobalt has the highest potential. If you factor in actual time to clear the waves, then Cobalt is probably the best since none of the pigs have any healing, protection, or summoning effects. Star Reef is the clear favorite when you want to farm snoutlings and mastery together.

@toothgnasher
    to @dr_ishmael — I’m setting up a CPC run for an hour, first wave only and I’ll publish the results. Interestingly, I played it three times with different birds each time. The first time I played CPC to the end and got 56 mastery per bird. The second I played to wave 4 and got 35. The third time I played ONLY wave one and got *35*!

@greatleo
    to @dr_ishmael I don’t care for places like King Pig’s Castle, where I have to fight a combination of pigs that ignore greater than X damage, like Prince Porky, and pigs that ignore less than Y damage, like a Guard Captain or Royal Guard. In 3 out of 5 waves, there are birds that can only successfully attack certain pigs. Samurai is the most useable Red character, and Cannoneer is the most useable Bomb character, and even then I have to re-arm them with weak weapons to make them effective across all waves.
    [MV edit]: Additionally, the final waves of KPC and others with Porky don’t lend themselves to automatic play.
    [In my experience] SRC has proven day in and day out to be the best performer. Any bird I pick, with any weapon set, is usable against any pig in every wave. And a lot of combinations lend themselves to automatic play. In my book that’s a huge bonus over King Pig’s Castle.
    Recently I’ve been working to raise my Knight, Cleric and Berserker from level 8 to level 9. Together they are a particularly weak combination since their secondary abilities don’t support each other very well. Despite that, I’m able to easily win wave after wave of SRC (albeit by hand), and finally got my Cleric to level 9. They all deliver damage that Prince Porky would ignore.

@toothgnasher
    : I just ran for 1/2 an hour in Cobalt Pig Castle with:
    Thunderbird9, Pirate9 (Golden Gun/Bullet Set), Spies9 (Robot Beep) only running the first wave for 22 cycles and got… gulp… 4706 mastery per hour (1570 each per hour) equivalent. I can drive that higher, too, because it was fully automated and twice it floundered into waves 2 and 3. Nice thing about CPC is that I’ve seen the wealthy rogue show up a few times here.
    Now the next experiment. Fully automated “manual” battle (no autoplay). I’ll use Lightning9, Skulkers9 and Pirate9. Skulkers on himself to increase everyone’s damage, rage chili on Pirate, and Lightning on Pirate to kill the strongest pig left then restart. I let it run for nearly an hour and it racked up 1540 mph per bird! Yowza. It also gained a quite respectable 710 snoutlings per hour.

@greatleo
    to @dr_ishmael @toothgnasher If it is the case that all (or perhaps most) pigs have the potential to give the same # of mastery points (perhaps with the exception of bosses?), it seems then that a simple strategy would be to do as @toothgnasher managed to figure out: wipe out a bunch of pigs in a small amount of time, and play the odds for mastery.

In less than a half hour I got 882 mastery points for my Knight, Priestess and Berserker in Cobalt Pig Castle.
The first wave has a Big Boss, a Bird Catcher, and 4 Stick Pigs. For the first several tries, I took out the entire wave. Bomb’s Explode took out the weaker 4 pigs, but Big Boss always needed two or three more hits before losing. At that point I had to wait for the next wave to load.
It then occurred to me that since it’s more or less an issue of probabilities, then quickly restarting after the Explode might give faster mastery increase. This seems to bear it out.
Again, thanks Ishmael for your patience.

@dr_ishmael
    to 

@greatleo Most pigs drop the same amount that increases with pig level (7 at level 41). Some pigs drop double that amount. I haven’t compiled a complete listing yet, but I’m fairly certain that all variants of these pigs are included.
    Brute
    Knight
    Mustache
    Shaman
    Wizard (white mustache)
    “Big” versions of basic pig types also drop double mastery, including Corporal and Banshee, as well as all “boss” pigs like Porky and Wizpig. (I haven’t done much research outside of the castles.)
As for your new farming strategy, good job! If you’ve got the time and the patience to sit there repeatedly restarting that wave, it’s definitely the most efficient for just farming mastery. I usually just let my birds loose on auto-play while I do other stuff and restart whenever I notice that they’re on the final wave

Anonymous

@mvnla2 My question was already answered. Cobalt Pig Castle is the best for Mastery.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@partshade — So do you play all waves at CPC on autoplay? Does it work for all birds, if not for all combinations?

Anonymous

@mvnla2 Actually I really don’t Mastery farm because I get nice chunks from the Dojo. @dr_ishmael confirmed this is the best castle. Really it should work for most birds because of none of the pigs have any special effects.

dr_ishmael
    @dr_ishmael

@partshade I was actually wrong about “no specials” in CPC – the Corporal on wave 4 has a healing skill. But he only uses it after about 3 turns, and it has a 2-turn charge, so he should never get a chance to use it unless your team is really weak on damage.

@mvnla2
    Yes, you should be able to run any team you want in CPC, as long as you don’t care about defeating Prince Porky, which you probably don’t if you’re farming mastery anyway. The only thing I’d recommend is a bit of healing (Hocus Pocus weapons are enough) for low-level/low-rank birds since the first couple waves have so many pigs.

Anonymous

@dr_ishmael Actually when I said that the pigs don’t have special effects I meant stuff like Dodge Ironclad etc.

dr_ishmael
    @dr_ishmael

@partshade Someone else in that discussion had mentioned healing as one of the effects that made auto-play inefficient for some team setups – they must have been thinking of SRC wave 3 or KPC wave 4. Anyway, I was thinking of any special effects and had been meaning to clarify that point about the Corporal anyway.

Anonymous

@dr_ishmael In that case people should just use hard hitters then. I bet the right combo will finish him in time on auto play. The effects of other pigs shouldn’t be TOO big of a problem though.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

I made major revisions to the 1st page main post. Please let me know if additional changes / corrections are needed.

Bubbley
    @bubbley

@mvnla2 as promised results from GP. I beat him in 1 round every day. His health was always 9499. I gained 14 mastery points for 5 days and 0 for 2 days. The chest revealed 15 snoutlings and 5 piles of sand whenever I got it. I don’t re roll.

Nytmair
    @nytmair

Currently auto-playing the first 4 waves of CPC to farm for mastery. Hopefully this will help me level up so I can get past cave 12-10.

aquadude
    @aquadude

I don’t track the points per hour or anything, but I feel like I’ve had pretty good success going for mastery only, on auto-play, in Cave 9-5, pig lair. Does anybody else level in the caves? I know you can only get two birds at a time, but I feel like I’m getting 150 mastery points for my two birds each run through.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@aquadude — I think it has been mentioned previously in this thread Would be nice if you would do everyone a favor and time how long it takes for you to get 150 mastery. Would also be interesting to know what level you are and what level your birds are, not to mention which ones with which weapons.

aquadude
    @aquadude

@mvnla2 – okay just did one. took 8 mins. I’m lvl 41. did it with (1) my paladin, 8 mastery, dragon scale set maybe lvl 29-ish, (2) my wizard, 8 mastery, chronos set probably around lvl 39, (3) borrowed druid, 8 mastery, no set.

150 mastery for my two birds, i used the rage chili on wizard to start, hit auto, didn’t touch it after that.

some bird combos work well, some are bad, the key is to get a combo that doesn’t have the paladin using his stupid “devotion” skill (if you’re trying to increase his mastery), which, depending on your other two birds, he will or won’t use.

i’ve been running through this at work, just glance over every 10 mins or so, my druid got to mastery 9 pretty quickly. I’ve found druid + wizard or rainbird + paladin work well for avoiding “devotion” – also works well with spies if they are strong, as well as a strong sea dog or a strong thunderbird, which i don’t have but will borrow if I see it and combo it with druid and paladin, and i think that goes fastest, probably under 8 mins.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@aquadude — Thanks! Have you looked for comparable stats for Star Reef Castle? I don’t think you get as much mastery, but it also doesn’t take as long (I think).

ToothGnasher
    @toothgnasher

In case anyone is wondering what “mastery” looks like, here it is:

Mastery Ribbons - Cobalt Pig Castle - 1st Wave

This is from Cobalt Pig Castle where you start with 6 pigs all but one are weak, and frequently Wealthy Rogue shows up. My strategy is now very simple and surprisingly effective. Just play the first three attacks on CPC wave one and restart. Of course I do this automatically via an emulator. Here is what it looks like:

Much thanks to @dr_ishmael who pointed out that even weak birds drop mastery points in this castle.

greatleo
    @greatleo

@mvnla2 @dr_ishmael I haven’t seen anyone post the chances of a pig dropping mastery, so I decided to run a test myself.

Cutting to the chase, I believe the chances are 5/16.

I ran the test on CPC (Cobalt Pig Castle). At the beginning of the first wave I exploded a level 41/9 Berserker to take out the Bird Catcher and 4 Stick Pigs, then restarted. Repeat 200 times for 1000 total kills.

Total mastery increase was 2191. Each pig potentially drops 7 mastery points. 2191/7 = 313.

So out of 1000 opportunities for a pig to drop mastery, 313 actually did, for a 0.313 probability. Note that 5/16 = 0.3125.

Further details: I run two games, Regater Leo and Gerta Leo, linked to two separate Rovio accounts and Facebook accounts. One runs on my phone, the other on my tablet. I ran the two simultaneously for 100 tries (200 total), which saved real (clock) time by overlapping operations on one while the other was reloading. Regater Leo’s birds gained 1022 mastery, while Gerta’s gained 1169, for the total of 2191

The total test time was 31:56, averaging about 69 (68.6) mastery/minute. The average user running one game would get a somewhat more than half that, so let’s guess 36/minute or 2160/hour, non-automated.

Home Forums Angry Birds Epic Forum Mastery Points

Viewing 25 replies - 176 through 200 (of 2,264 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.