Rovio have announced the next event: Christmas

Home Forums Angry Birds Epic Forum Rovio have announced the next event: Christmas

Viewing 24 replies - 126 through 149 (of 149 total)
  • Replies
  • Pointless
    @pointless

@mvnla2 are you talking about the event? I find that crazy that someone would spend FE and Stamina to do that. What position did they gain? If they are an active player obviously the resources would be better spent later and elsewhere

Napoleongl
    @napoleongl

@pointless
    What better way to spend stamina than an event?!?
    I have the extremely annoying situation that we are four players currently within 500 pts. Position five is some 20k behind us. Gonna have to flush all my stam the last half hour of the event I think…

angryde
    @angryde

@pointless hey, @mvnla2 is simply observing the extremes some folks’ll go to… to secure 3x stars in a longish event. I was seriously considering doing the same thing… as SD and FE are ‘event resources.’ But, after doing the math, like @mvnla2, I decided it was ultimately too wasteful… + my competitors would be prompted to burn through their stockpiles. I just left my run too late, unfortunately.

Jadedbacon
    @jadedbacon

@jadedbacon good game so far, this is the first event I’ve actually had some decent competition.

-Ninja

@ni-nja
    agreed. I’ve been spending some time with family and farming mastery (if it works I’ll have all of Matilda/Chucks classes except Witch/Illusionist at level 12 with the event wheel). So I’ve mostly been playing to keep the two behind us from catching up. This has been the most competitive event I’ve been in in awhile.

KerrAvon
    @kerravon

The leader on my board has got 98,000 points, and I am sitting in second on 90,000 points. There were 4 of us fighting it out for the top 3 positions, but 2 have fallen behind.

I have a ton of stamina drinks, but little FE. I have been pushing the leader and do wonder whether this person was burning stamina drinks and FE – or whether they had a LC cheat and were simply buying stamina as needed.

I just play the 7 stamina battles and have used over 300 stamina drinks to stay in touch. But I imagine that for those with FE, it is better value to play the 3 stamina battles and re-spin the wheel. I really want to use a heap more stamina drinks, just to keep them honest. I would quite happily spend another 200 stamina drinks.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@pointless — I agree with those who said that FE and SD are event resources. It is definitely worth it to finish in the top 3, because you have a better chance of getting the top award, and you will get 3 awards no matter what. It is certainly worth spending FE (at 10 FE per re-spin) to get the top award.
    The person I was talking about went from 5th to 1st. They hadn’t played for at least a day, but is now going strong and still in 1st. I don’t care about 1st, but I definitely don’t want to be 4th, and 4th is only 14K behind me.

JH2
    @jeh2

This has been the most competitive event I ever participated in. Rovio I think has done a better job matching up opponents. There are only level 50 players in my group and number 1 is over 100,000 points.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@kerravon — Unless the rewards are different for the 7 stamina battles near the end of the map, the 3 stamina battles give higher payout per stamina both in terms of average award/stamina and max award/stamina. This does assume you always get 3 stars.
    @all — I think playing the GP dungeon is a waste unless you really want snoutlings, and even then, a dungeon is nearly as good. I did get 44 LC yesterday, but only 6 today.

Pointless
    @pointless

I was merely wondering why someone would burn their whole stockpile going from fifth to first, as there is little reward difference between third and first, but some people have unlimited resources in this game I guess.

Laxietoo
    @laxietoo

Has anyone else noticed that there’s something off on the leaderboards? I got a very late start due to travel and inconsistent internet availability. Right now I’m in 8th place. On the main info page with the event portal, rewards and leader timeline, it shows I have one star. If I check the Leaderboards page, it shows me as receiving 2 stars. Which one is correct?

Looks like another Christmas event with issues. :-(

KerrAvon
    @kerravon

@laxietoo It has been like that for ages. I don’t know which is correct. On my second game (for my low level arena team) I always try for position 7.

@mvnla2
    The medal rewards wheel is different for the 3, 5 and 7 stamina battles. For the 7 stamina battle, there are 2 positions with 450 points, and the other values are higher. Since I don’t respin the result, I get a better chance at getting 450, plus the higher values for the other positions. I could probably get a better return if I played the 3 stamina battles and could respin the result with FE.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@pointless — The reason to try to be in the top 3 is that in the end you will get 3 rewards (3 stars) on the final event wheel. Less than 3rd place you get 2 or 1 or none, depending on your rank. It’s the mastery from the final event wheel, not the snoutlings that’s important.

@kerravon
    — I may not have been clear. I know that there are two 450 slots on the 7 stamina battle. I calculated the average award per stamina, and the max award per stamina for all 3 battles. The 3 stamina battle comes out to be the most efficient in terms of stamina whether or not you re-roll.
    I did check to make sure that the awards once you had collected all the items were the same for the different sections of the map, but only for the first 2 or 3 sections. If all the awards are increased for the last segment, for example, then my calculations don’t apply.

Pointless
    @pointless

@mvnla2 I believe we are both talking about the same subject and are in agreement, not at odds. While obviously Stamina is an event only resource (poorly stated in my first post), I think FE is extremely valuable in most aspects of the game, not just events. This is why I wouldn’t use it simply to ensure a first because as you say (and I implied), the reward for first is only a few hundred snouts more (a few autoruns at SRC). Why burn FE unnecessarily like this? Top three will get you the three stars that are most important and hopefully limit the 10 cost of a reroll to get the max reward. If someone is paying and has unlimited resources to do this, then they probably have paid for all 12s and top level, fully enchanted gear, which makes the proposition even more baffling to win first by a wide margin.

Bubbley
    @bubbley

@pointless I guess some people just can’t help playing! I stopped playing apart from the dungeon as soon as I had the bomb so I have about 30k. Quite a few others also stopped but first place is approaching 100k.

Green Whacker
    @dragonofheart73

Well finished the event in 2nd place which I have worked hard on it.. this was my first close competition and there was only 5K separating from 1st to 9th place….too close for my blood.

Spinned on first try to hit 6,000 all, 6,000 Chuck, and 6,000 Matilda.. Not bad :-)

Jadedbacon
    @jadedbacon

Finally! This event was fun, but long. Top 3 were all pretty close ranging from 96k to 110k, with 4th place having given up sometime yesterday.

Got 6k Matilda, 6k Chuck, 2k All – Not exactly what I was going for, but close enough. Because of that I only got Illusionist, Cleric (with 187 Mastery left), Witch, Capt’n, Sea Dog and Frost Savage to go!

Napoleongl
    @napoleongl

@mvnla2
    I’m not entirely sure that it is correct that three star battles are the best per stam as the wheel don’t seem to be fair. If it was then you’d hit max 3/8 of the spins and although I haven’t been keeping exact track (som spontaneous noting down only) it seems to be closer to 1/4 (or2/8) chance to hit max score. As such I have only played the five star battles as the lowest score there is far above that of the three star battle.
    For the next big event I’m thinking of actually keeping full track of the wheel result and apply som statistical methods to it to see what the chance actually is. Anyone care to loose a couple of hours of their life (on top of what the event itself requires) and join in?

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@napoleongl — My calculations do assume a fair awards wheel. I might join you in the statistics. I have some I collected during a previous event, and they certainly did not show an unfair wheel, but you need a lot of data to make any statistically significant conclusions.

Dahnlor
    @dahnlor

I was a bit surprised on Sunday when it didn’t end. I wasn’t paying attention to the time remaining, but these things always end on Sundays, so of course it would end on Sunday. But it didn’t.

Fortunately, I did the GP dungeon early enough that I could avoid losing a day on it. And @mvnla2 what’s this about the GP dungeon not being worth it? I’m confused by what you said. Doesn’t it always give 10 LCs on the last boss? That’s how it always was before. If it changed, I didn’t notice, but again, I wasn’t paying close enough attention. Even if it’s changed to a different or random amount, getting LCs is still better than not getting LCs, isn’t it? Maybe I’m misunderstanding something.

My board didn’t really get competitive until the last few days, by which time I had managed to extend a lead of more than 10K over 2nd place that I managed to maintain by only playing 7-stamina battles without burning any stamina potions or FEs (in spite of the game freezing on nearly 10 of those). There was quite a struggle for the last two 3-star positions, and the guy that was in 2nd last night ended up getting pushed to 4th in the last few minutes.

In the end, I got exactly what I wanted on my first spin of the final wheel: 6k all, 6k Bomb, 6k Blues, taking me from only 2 classes with 11 mastery to 8. Overall, only spent about 25 stamina potions (to get to the GP dungeon as early as possible on the day it opened) and 30 or so FEs (because I became impatient getting items for the new glass).

Napoleongl
    @napoleongl

@mvnla2
    Yeah i know… That’s the shitty part about trying to prove something’s wrong, we would need some 1000 spins to even get close to saying its significant…
    With 960 free stamina we would need to be at least four players that woke up twice a night to play to get that number of spins, not counting we would need to do five and seven stam battles to progress.
    I’m actually gonna check this with my statistics teacher at the university (who happens to be both a games nerd and a bit on the conspiratorial side) and see what numbers and methods he’d use…

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@napoleongl — No way am I getting up twice a night to collect statistics. : D
    Also, most of the events aren’t as long as this one, although some do have free stamina either on the award wheel or in presents scattered about the island.

@dahnlor
    — I only kept track of the the GP dungeon gave twice. The first time I got 11 LC, and the second time I got 6. My board was very competitive at the top, so I decided I should concentrate on battle medals rather than the GP dungeon. I didn’t figure out that you might get so few LCs until yesterday, so I only missed one GP dungeon. Also, I have a fair number of LC, and have all the classes.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@dahnlor — I only got 30 LC in four plays of the GP dungeon. I think I played once before starting to keep track, and didn’t play this morning. So I think I had 6 chances to play it, and I started pretty much as soon as it was available given my time zone, etc.
    [Edit]: BTW — When I said I got 44 LC one day, I mistakenly counted 30 LC from the calendar and a couple from the calendar FB award.

Dahnlor
    @dahnlor

@mvnla2
    Ah, I get it. It’s not worth it if you need the stamina to stay in the top 3. Store price for potions is 25 for 45 LC, so in a sense it costs 18 LC for each GP dungeon run if you go by store value. Only worth doing if you’re using the stamina that accrues for free, especially now that the average reward appears to have been reduced.

I have over 800 stamina potions saved up (mostly from the glitchy Christmas event last year), so spending them to ensure an extra run wasn’t a big deal, but this will definitely be something to consider before doing that again in the future.

GrauGeist
    @graugeist

I got 5th, after stopping playing for points when it was obvious that 1st-3rd were burning potions like crazy.

I did run the max number of GCs at 10 LCs each.

I spun up a 6k ALL on my first try, so that was that.

Home Forums Angry Birds Epic Forum Rovio have announced the next event: Christmas

Viewing 24 replies - 126 through 149 (of 149 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.