Has Rovio abandoned PC?

Home Forums General Discussions Forum Has Rovio abandoned PC?

• Over the past 5-6 months multiple platforms have been updated many times yet since Jan 8 PC users have only received 2 RIO updates. Has Rovio decided to abandon the PC platform all together?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Replies
  • AMslimfordy
    @amslimfordy

Absolutely not.

burpie
    @burpie

@thebrown PC is still very much in the picture. You have Blossom River, right? You’re up to date.

Aside, I think it’s amazing that Rovio is still updating Rio at all. That game was launched over three years ago!

DaBoid
    @daboid

Rio is getting updated in a timely fashion because there is a new Rio movie.

Uncle B
    @uncle-b

LONG LIVE the PC !!!

But my hope and wish is that Rovio will issue an entirely new Angry Bird game series to delight AngryBirdNesters of all platform persuasions!

thebrown
    @thebrown

Yeah sure we got the RIO updates but nothing else. No Star Wars II or Seasons updates that were released months ago.

burpie
    @burpie

Ah, sorry @thebrown, I misread your question and thought Rio wasn’t getting enough updates… you meant the other games.

Let’s see what happens with Star Wars ll and Space. Both are scheduled to get a new episode in the next 8 days.

waimea
    @waimea

We PCers haven’t had an SW2 update since January 2. Since then there has been Carbonite and Galactic Giveaway (which I can understand possibly not being compatible with PC) which we haven’t got. And now the Clone wars for iOS and Android. I just don’t think Rovio is that interested in updating SW2 for PC because it doesn’t generate revenue from having to buy characters. I’m with you @thebrown.

AMslimfordy
    @amslimfordy

@thebrown I’m not sure which Seasons update you’re looking for. There hasn’t been any since December for any platform.

SnTrooper
    @sntrooper

The original four new characters update for SW2 didn’t get released on PC until it got the Battle of Naboo update so I never expected to get the Carbonite and GG updates until the Rise of the Clones update is released. The two Rio updates have been released. So that only leaves the one Original {second part of Short Fuse} update that PC hasn’t got yet (everything else is either just a bug fix or for a mobile only game). While it is odd (but no unprecedented) that it has been more than two months without it being updated, it hardly means that Rovio has abandoned the PC.

waimea
    @waimea

I think it seems reasonable then @sntrooper that when we (PC) get Rise of the Clones we will have the Carbonite characters and reward levels included. I’ll keep thinking good thoughts along those lines. Now it’s just a matter of WHEN we get RotC…. (;

tomason
    @tomason33

I just checked the download page… still version 1.2.1

This is odd odd indeed, being that Rovio sent me this:
    promo graphic`

BUT when you click it, same old version 1.2.1… why even send these emails to at all if the update is not ready? reminds me of the obamacare web mess

AMslimfordy
    @amslimfordy

@tomason33 Rovio does not release the “minor” updates to ABSW2 for PC — such as the Carbonite Pack update or the Galactic Giveaway update. These are retroactively applies in major updates.

On that note, the Rise of the Clones update is coming indeed coming soon to PC:

@jtwade It’s not a matter of posting negative comments about Rovio. However, the thread that you reference may have exposed us to serious liability issues. Works of fiction like that thread can easily be taken out of context, or simply be interpreted as slander. AngryBirdsNest provides a free service because we enjoy what we do; by no means are we willing to become involved in a potential lawsuit. The user who created that thread was notified of why it was deleted, and it is my hope that they understand that in the grand scheme of things, such a thread is far more risk than reward.

We have a very good relationship right now with Rovio. We are not willing to jeopardize that over something as silly as a “joke” discrimination case.

waimea
    @waimea

Thanks @amslimfordy for posting the tweets, and the explanation of why we haven’t gotten the 2 previous updates. That’s very hopeful indeed!

tomason
    @tomason33

Note: The views expressed in this posting of mine belong to me and are not necessarily the views of anyone else in the world and are written here for what could be best described as a discussion.

Rovio are going to be just fine and we all love them here, obviously.. and of course no one wants any trouble, LEAST of all the creators of this excellent site who REALLY deserve no negative attention in any way. I get that, I do, and I completely agree… But to the extent that we can’t express ourselves even with a passing question of premature release announcements? Really? I thought my question was a fair one and one I would politely inquire to anyone from Rovio in person, given the opportunity. So the advocated position posited in the above post seems to suggest that we should instead live in fear of retribution and shun all forms of critical thought in exchange for obsequiousness and a sort of fawning willful compliance.. or else.
    If simply posing a question that any reasonable person may ask in a forum that ostensibly exists for the sake of conversation on a variety of topics(all related to video games we all love) is no longer allowed, we have come to an alarming place indeed. Besides, this site could not possibly be held responsible for all of the thoughts and feelings expressed by individuals as we discuss what happens to be on our minds from time to time… and really, occasional non sugar-coated queries may even result in something good. Perhaps the powers that be may glean some valuable marketing data points from those of us who genuinely love their products enough to dedicate so much time to the topics we bring to the table here and the games those topics concern.

AMslimfordy
    @amslimfordy

@tomason33 We have no issue with people expressing their opinions. And I think your question is perfectly reasonable and I thought I gave an appropriate answer. That’s our primary purpose: Helping you guys!

My threshold for tolerance is allowing users to express themselves without damaging our relationship with Rovio or posting things that are completely and knowingly false. While perhaps some people thought the deleted post was funny and obviously satirical, context is a dangerous thing. Taken out of context, such a satire can be construed as a slanderous claim. You also run the risk of non-English speakers trying to translate the post using a generic online program, which may rid it of this “obvious” joke. To be fair, I don’t think this is an unreasonable line to toe.

AMslimfordy
    @amslimfordy

@jtwade It sounds like the Android update was ready same-day as iOS, but had a technical issue:

As for PC, I certainly admit the those updates come with delays that are … let’s say a bit longer than ideal? Rovio has stated a few times that development for PC/Mac is more taxing on their dev team to account for the wider variety of actual devices, operating systems, hardware components, screen sizes, etc. etc. I do hope that they are trying to dedicate more resources to minimizing this gap, but I don’t have anything concrete to justify this.

tomason
    @tomason33

AMslimfordy, I deeply apologize if you ended up with my reply in a place where it seemed a reply to you. It was actually meant for the other chap that was in this thread (who is also a competent communicator and by all signs, perfectly reasonable as well) that was suggesting special care to be taken wilst saying anything negative (or seemingly negative) about Rovio..
    I have ONLY seen you practice the best of conduct and candor in these forums, and I am horrified that you thought I was addressing your input with my even slight acidity. In all honesty, I find your demeanor here more than appropriate at all times and the team there is lucky to have a patient and articulate person to field what must be a constant barrage of questions, comments, and complaints. From here forward I’ll respond by name, specifically.

AMslimfordy
    @amslimfordy

No problem-o! Thanks for the kind words.

tomason
    @tomason33

jtwade, I see now that I have overreacted to your post. I do react that way about this topic, but I see now that you were actually just trying to help. I do stand behind what I said, but now seen in full context, it will have to be to a reply to a post that only really ever existed to an imaginary philosophical foe which you are not.

AMslimfordy
    @amslimfordy

I don’t have this information.

Les Toreadors
    @les-toreadors

My 2c –

As a fan of Bad Piggies (and infamously, exclusively Bad Piggies) I have noticed several times where PC updates had been delayed for a few weeks.

But I don’t think this is a case of “anti PC” bias or that somehow the PC version of the game is lower priority.

Rather, different platforms have different development challenges and different teams of people work on the different platforms.

If anything, we have to remember that Rovio is primarily a mobile games developer, and that having a PC version of anything at all is a bonus and not an entitlement.

In certain new titles, such as Angry Birds Go!, there is no PC version at all and this is probably due to game design goals and future plans for this title. I have also proposed in past conversations with Rovio SocMed that PC should be given priority for Rovio’s future lineup for a niche ‘simulation’ and modder-friendly market because the PC is generally where gamers get involved with the game close-up. And PC gamers with the right Developer support can make wonderful quality mods in time, lending a great boost to longevity for a title.

Long story short, I use the PC version exclusively for all my Pigineering creations and Bad Piggies on a big monitor plays out very differently than on a mobile device. There are things which a fast mouse hand can easily do on the PC (like individual component control, or operating highly unstable aircraft) that I can’t emulate on a mobile device unless the screen were unrealistically huge.

It’s up to Rovio to allocate “the right” level of resources to each platform and it’s up to Rovio to decide if they want to create PC-exclusive titles with enhanced detail/simulation qualities in future, and I am generally fine with it either way.

Mass appeal after all is important for Rovio’s future and these days ‘simulation’ enthusiasts (like serious Bad Piggies players! :) ) are typically a minority.

Kelani
    @kelani

Does anyone know if Rovio uses a discrete team for each title, or just a large pool of devstaff who work on whatever’s highest priority that week?

I ask because while I now understand the reason for PC delays, Blossom River’s relatively-fast release makes me think they bumped an already overdue project (ABo Short Fuse) to push BR out faster. BR’s quick release tells us exactly how fast Rovio can release a PC update when they have an incentive to do so.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@kelani — So what was the incentive to release BR for PC so quickly?

Kelani
    @kelani

@mvnla2 To quote @daboid “Rio is getting updated in a timely fashion because there is a new Rio movie.”

A many-months-later PC update for Rio would negate its usefulness as a marketing tool. Unless they delayed it even longer to coincide with the DV/Blu Ray release.

There is no such incentive for ABo Short Fuse. It could be released next week, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it took another 3-6 months.

DaBoid
    @daboid

In case you haven’t noticed, AB Space Beak Impact is now available for the PC.

Home Forums General Discussions Forum Has Rovio abandoned PC?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.