Arena Season 5

Home Forums Angry Birds Epic Forum Arena Season 5

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 290 total)
  • Replies
  • Ryogo Kusama
    @ryogokusama

My final leaderboard scored me as 3rd place but I’m sure I was 6th, so I guess that’s what really happened… still, except for the cheater placed in 1st place, I didn’t suspect any other player at all this week, they all seemed like to have legit scores since we all had 4-5k between each other and well, with the holydays and all, everyone not involved in family reunions and such had more time to spend grinding… this was an unexpected surprise and I can’t hide it made me very happy since the week started off in a very awful way.

angryde
    @angryde

@ryogokusama I also finished third on my gold board… so, onto platinum. Hopefully, I can reach diamond in week six.

Pointless
    @pointless

I have to now say that after the new sets have been introduced, the “win a battle and defeat 10 birds” has become my nemesis. This was a go to Venom team, but with Mana set and now Valiant Head (which EVERYBODY is using and is massively OP IMHO), this has become the hardest objective, and a secondary one to boot. Venomous just doesn’t have the chance to be truly effective when the opposition revives a round sooner and using Power teams is dicey as I end up concentrating on KOing birds as the enemy whittles away at my banner. Cost me another 20 LC again today (I am perhaps too stubborn to miss an objective)

Anonymous

@pointless
    Suggest using witch (with sweet set if you have it) as part of a power team. Restores banner VERY quickly.

Anonymous

General questions for the group about arena mechanics:

– i rarely fight bird teams of people in my own league / on my own leaderboard. Any idea how matchups are determined? I would assume something like “all lvl 50 players currently in gold leagues” or something along those lines, but yesterday I “battled” two teams with level 1 birds!

– anyone else suffering from a bug whereby all tops and banners rolled on the GPM show up in inventory with one star, no matter how many stars were actually rolled? I reported to rovio last week (haven’t heard back yet), but wondered if anyone else was experiencing the same issue. Not a problem for emblems, strangely; only banners and tops.

– how does the AI determine which bird classes, weapons, and off-hand items are selected for opposing bird teams?

Pointless
    @pointless

Thanks @poptimus for the suggestion. My witch is currently 9 and am really not willing to spend any more (besides the long dojo grind) to raise her mastery, as she is (at least for me) rather useless in PvE. That being said, she is therefore easy meat for the opposition I am up against in arena (lvl 50 diamond). I guess I should just stop complaining and accept the fact that some people are willing to spend WAY more than I am to have top level everything…now assuming all of the opponents are real, but that is a topic that has already reared its ugly head here

Bubbley
    @bubbley

I have to say I think it is extraordinary that more than 90% of my opponents are using the banner with the supporting pig (don’t know what any new ones are called). Since the start of this week I have seen only 1 new white banner set and 2 yellow. A handful of the of the original banners. I meet many opponents I have played in the previous seasons and some who have also been in my league. I have not suspected that they are not real players but so many of the same banners is a concern.

Jadedbacon
    @jadedbacon

@bubbley I’m running into the same thing. As someone else pointed out (sorry I forget who) the Squire set (I think that’s what it’s called) is going to be the new meta set to go for. Being only down 2 turns is huge. Gets pretty challenging when fighting against someone who’s all 12s, enchanted with Squire set and vengeful/resurrection.

This week has been especially active for me after a really quiet week last week. Have to grind a good bit just to stay near/in the top 3.

Methinks some of this new stuff might need retweaking, but we’ll see how it goes.

Anonymous

@pointless
    I don’t really get where you’re coming from about Witch. Her healing ability wouldn’t be any better at a higher mastery. The only differences would be her max health and attack power. Attack power doesn’t really matter if you’re primarily using her for banner healing. I guess max health matters, to the extent that the opponent birds might be able to knock her out slightly more quickly.
    Anyway, my point is to use her for banner healing almost exclusively. Assuming your banner is around 20,000 health, that’s 4,000 for the first heal and 4,800 for any subsequent heals (as long as within three turns of the most recent one, since it’s 20% of the new/higher max health). And if you use the Sweet set, these figures are increased by an additional 50%, so we’re talking about 6,000 and 7,200 healing in consecutive turns! If that’s not enough to keep you afloat against even the tougher teams, then I don’t know what to tell you. The only issue is an opponent with a Weakness emblem, as far as I can tell (I typically just Piggy McCool right past those).
    And for the record, I’m level 50 too, and my birds are only mastery level 6, 7, and 8, and using Witch still generally works well for me, regardless of opponent. I should add that I typically also use Rogues, and force my enemies to attack my banner (so I also Piggy McCool away from Chucks with Mana Sets). I rarely even try to knock out the enemy birds, and just focus on the banner. It’s three stars almost every time. I’ll admit I haven’t un into many Sauire sets like you seem to have, but since I don’t try to KO birds in the first place, it wouldn’t matter all that much!

GeMek
    @gemek

I can’t say if my leaderboard (gold) is hard or not… It appears to be the first day for everyone here and I’m on 8th place… with 1k points! 1st place has 6640 points and I can’t rech it because of bad daily objectives, of which I managed to complete only one. In 2 hours new are coming, so I hope these will be easy.

Pointless
    @pointless

@poptimus it seems we are getting off the topic of my original post. My beef is not with Witch per se, rather the usefulness of her accomplishing the arena objective I initially posted as far as MY team is concerned. I will admit my disdain for the class comes mainly from PvE (which still is my primary concern despite much new content) and had failed to give her due merit for PvP where she can be useful. Here are my concerns:
    Being mastery 9 (as opposed to 12 as all my birds are save the newest three) definitely matters not for healing the banner but as you had alluded to, health and arena mechanics as far as AI is concerned. As level 50, you are aware what kind of competition there is in arena, and also what tactics are employed by the enemy AI. Almost always the bird with the lowest health is targeted first, which makes a 9 Witch dead meat in a team otherwise consisting of 12s. If enemy goes first, she will be down, and if I go first, what is the point of banner heal? Not to mention that substituting a weaker member into a Power team is counter to that team moniker. If all members are equal (or somewhat), then I see your point as Witch may be useful. Are you, as lvl 50 with 6-8 mastery facing similar opponents? I can tell you in platinum I am always against stacked teams 1500 or above so this makes Witch (at least for now until I raise her to 12) nonviable.
    My initial post was concerning the defeat 10 birds in a battle objective, so saying you concentrate on the banner exclusively is not an answer to the dilemma I put forth. I am not trying to be argumentative and I hope you don’t take it this way, I just feel we got off topic here.

Anonymous

@pointless
    Wow, my bad, I completely glossed over the fact that you were talking about the KO 10 birds objective! Sorry!
    So, forget about the power team, and use rogues’ cupcake trap to keep enemies off witch, and to knock out opposing birds with their own attacks. And obviously use his venom attack on birds in between cupcake traps (and banner once you’ve made it to ten birds).
    I like to round the trio out with Cap’n, but Wizard or Paladin are good too if you don’t need to dispel anything your opp is doing.
    To answer your other question, no I don’t come across teams that powerful in the leagues I’m in. Tops out around 1100. My Witch/Rogues/Cap’n team (with 19,635 banner) is power level 989. As far as that goes though, I do regularly face birds that are three, four, or even five mastery levels higher than mine, all with sets (and a set banner) and I beat them routinely with that team (and no banner set, though my birds do have slightly enchanted set items of their own).
    Anyway, my Witch slurping has gone far enough! I’ll leave you alone now. Good luck!

Pointless
    @pointless

@poptimus no worries, I value all input. One of the best parts of this game is the customization we as players are able to utilize. To each their own and I honestly do take others input serioulsly, it is more than interesting to try teams/combos suggested here that I haven’t used. Cheers to you and all, best for 2016

Bubbley
    @bubbley

@jadedbacon I’d add time jump to that but to be honest it’s tough no matter what the emblem. I pray I go first.

I too believe it needs some rethinking. Perhaps it was meant to redress the Mana set for those customarily using a venom team.

However I still find it surprising so many have it.

Ryogo Kusama
    @ryogokusama

The new banner OPness is nowhere near the level of Time Jump… Time Jump procs rarely for me, like once every two/three turns or more if I’m really lucky, but the new banner passive is OP as hell… you can’t have all the birds revive time on two rounds instead of three FOREVER, from the start of the battle to the finish, it should have some kind of cooldown or a %chance to proc like everything else… I don’t know what Rovio was thinking when they introduced this.

On a side note, Rovio replied to my last week report, like this (open image in a new tab):

Arena Cheater

So well, kinda the standard answer but still, since everything went ok somehow, I’m not too salty about it.

Jadedbacon
    @jadedbacon

@bubbley I think I saw your team come up last night while I was farming arena points. Was it (going off of memory so I might be a tad off): Paladin with Dragon, Wiz with TLightning, Capt’n with Scissors (maybe Finisher?) and Burning set with 25k health? I forget the emblem, think Time Jump.

Also, I agree that Time Jump might need some retweaking. It’s one of those emblems where if it procs too many times it completely breaks the match.

I think I backed out of that one as I had lost twice already and was fishing for a fight to finish my 3rd objective.

Got another cheater this week, double the top score with me trailing 3rd. If I keep exchanging spots with 2nd place and our scores keep climbing, maybe that will discourage anyone from 4th or lower making a power play for 3rd lol :P

Jadedbacon
    @jadedbacon

@ryogokusama I agree that the static 2 turn revive is a little too powerful, but others have pointed out that if you just go for the banner and use some kind of redirect, you nullify it’s effect.

Quick idea on how to tweak Time Jump/Resurrection/Squire Set:

Resurrection: Just make it 100% chance to happen, but only happens once per match. That’d make Resurrection like an extra Reborn/Save Me for Chuck/Blues. Make em come back with 50% or even 75% health if you want it to be a tad stronger.

Squire Set: Similar to Resurrection, once per battle, but maybe give it a new passive set bonus like 10% Vigor or something like that.

Time Jump: Give the Banner a Support ability (meaning you can drag from the Banner to one of the birds) once per round to give another bird a free turn. Once you do that, the bird gets a buff where they can’t benefit from that effect again for the rest of the match, persists through knockout. That’ll make it a little more strategic and less luck reliant, but still powerful if used right.

Bubbley
    @bubbley

@jadedbacon that sounds like me. I use the vengeance emblem. I tried time jump for a long time but especially now with the new banners I prefer to use something I can rely on 100%. I have enhanced some of my stuff but unfortunately ran out of LC before I could enhance paper so my bomb has a mismatched scissors set. It doesn’t seem too much of a disadvantage and actually I am considering enhancing the weapon side of a Blues set before completing scissors. Just can’t decide between Ballister or the sling.

My board is competitive too. I don’t think there are any cheaters just players with time over the holidays. I’m hanging on to the second spot but I will not play much over the next couple of days.

Good luck and Happy New Year to all.

Bubbley
    @bubbley

@ryogokusama sorry I was talking about the new banner with the little pig. I mentioned time jump in response to @jadedbacon suggestion that it was bad with resurrection and vengeance. I think this new banner needs a complete rethink by Rovio.

GeMek
    @gemek

Update on the board, today’s goals were a little less severe (completed 2). I’m in 4th place with 5530 points, leader hasn’t changed, now he has 18k (He JUST had 12k tho… maybe he’s griding hard). 2nd place has 6k points, so I should be able to pursue them and take the road to promotion.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I fought against an interesting guy…

Screenshot_2015-12-30-19-59-06.png

Angry Johnny
    @angryjohnny

@gemek at 18000 points in arena is where you should be if you only finish all the daily goals.

(5500 for all goals per day + whatever points you get from the reward wheel) × 3 days = about 18000 points so far.

Also that guy in your picture shows up from time to time in the arena. He is probably an opponent Rovio put in as a “the lowest power opponent you can get” easter egg thing or something like that ;-)

Pointless
    @pointless

Valiant Head (squire set) is completely OP which is why we are seeing it used everywhere. I am running in to it approx 2/3 of the time (lvl 50, m12 and in platinum). The advantage is huge which explains the significant shift away from other sets. This needs to be tamed a bit, perhaps have the squire only fill only ONE of the three KO spots to a random KOd bird per turn? Maybe this set needs a detrimental side effect such as all birds take 10% more damage?

@jadedbacon
    this is what makes this particular set so powerful, that is 100% effective in its ability whereas Resurrection and Time Jump are iffy. Yes, they can be extremely annoying when they trigger multiple times in a battle against, but I personally use Time Jump and can say it often happens where I don’t receive a bonus turn the whole battle (which makes the odd time where it does happen twice in the first round somewhat exhilarating). Giving control of this to a player would IMHO make it just as OP, as if I could guarantee a free turn on my first round to a bird of my choosing I could and usually would obliterate an opponent with my power team (Pal DB, Wiz TL, SeaDog Sc).

Jadedbacon
    @jadedbacon

@pointless I agree that it would be powerful, but once you remove it being random, it’s easier to tweak and balance. If you leave it as a chance, you run into those times where it does nothing (0 Time Jumps(TJs)/0 Resurrections(Rez)) to where it’s too powerful (3 TJs/3 Rez). I’ve had matches where I’ve had 3 TJs on the first turn and won by turn 1-2. On the flipside I had a match where I was winning and all 3 enemy birds came back, got 3 TJs and I had lost from a substantial lead and there was nothing I could do about it.

Giving 1 bird a free turn and making it so it could not longer benefit from that for the rest of the match? Much more manageable. Yeah, you could obliterate the enemy on the first turn, but with banners now having 20-25k, it’s rare that you could do that much damage in 2-3 turns. You might not be able to get them down if they have Save Me/Reborn, or if they have the Rez emblem as I described it or the Valiant Set.

The thought behind my ideas was controlled > uncontrolled. We already have uncontrolled stuff with Bedtime/Chain Attack/Crits/Dispel + Dragon/TLightning/Scissors/Beep/etc. Adding another layer of uncontrolled power makes it harder to predict and to fight against, leaving players frustrated if they lost because their opponent got a string of lucky procs whereas the player got nothing.

Edit: Removed the video I linked, it wasn’t what I meant. When I find it I’ll link it.

Dallasreds
    @dallasreds

@gemek
    This lone red team has been around for several seasons but his name changes. Lately it’s been Christin if I remember right. I played a lot the last few days and have encountered him 3 times. It’s such a relief if he helps you complete an objective. I have fought him at least 20 times by playing McCool to reset the opponent. One of the older threads reported numerous encounters against him from several players. You gotta feel sorry for him when shows up!

@bubbley
    @jadedbacon
    95 % of my opponents the last few days have PIG SQIURE BANNER SET. What are the odds of so many teams having the complete set? Something funny going on in the arena.

angryde
    @angryde

Damn… I missed twenty-four hours of play due to holiday commitments… there goes my best chance of reaching the diamond league at the start of week six. Drat! Bloody Festivus!

Anyway, in contrast to many posters, I’ve only encountered ‘Valiant Head/Tapestry’ three times since it was released… but I’m only M-11 (all) with an APR of 1021 using ‘Venomous’ + ‘Blessed Idol/Blanket’ and ‘Resilience.’

I’d say I’m facing toughish though not massively overpowered opponents… progression is still definitely ‘doable,’ even with my sturdy but unimpressive line-up.

I’d love to understand the mechanics here…

Home Forums Angry Birds Epic Forum Arena Season 5

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 290 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.