Arena is a big joke

Home Forums Angry Birds Epic Forum Arena is a big joke

• If we forget the fact of mysterious cheaters who have 50%+ of the possible points, I am offended mentally by the fact that I loose 9/10 coin tosses. Once I counted 13 consecutive coin loses. If thats not a big joke then what is?
    And I dont have any bird more that 8 class……….and I compete in the gold league….

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Replies
  • Angry Johnny
    @angryjohnny

I have documented the wins and loses for the coin toss over the last couple of month, I am up to about 1200 and so far I have a Win/Loss result of about 48%/52%.

The point I am trying to make is that 13 tosses is not a statistical safe number to draw a result from, you need at least 2000 tosses for that. I am sure that by the time I get to 2000 the result will be about 50%/50% with maybe a few decimals difference.

That is the truth about chance, sometime it goes your way and sometimes it works against you.

opap
    @opap

NO way it is 48-52% for me. 28-72 maybe…

t_russell
    @tigerussell

Several people have compiled larger (1000 minimum) statistical sets, myself included. They all indicate an ever so slight <2% lean toward a loss. It may indeed be just a tiny bit tilted or our sets are just not large enough yet.

Doesn’t matter, the arena was never meant to be easy. You need to find a way to be productive no matter how things go. You would never always be the strongest team in real life, why expect it in a game. You wouldn’t expect to always go first either. Finding a way to win that works for you is what’s required. 12 weeks is a long time, more than enough to reach any goal you set for yourself if you work at it.

As you move up in the leagues the focus shifts from the daily objectives to good average daily play any way. Finding a way to be better than a 90% winner no matter what gets you there and will keep you there easily.

This forum is full of advice that will move you toward being a strong player, including strategies to help with coin toss losses. PvP isn’t for everyone and is optional for all.

Baconizer
    @korath88

Well, unless the opponent is way more powerful than I am, I usually win even if I lose the coin toss. Revive sets are key. The blessed set also helps.

Leaderboard cheaters, on the other hand, are completely unfair, and only Rovio can deal with them.

Green Whacker
    @dragonofheart73

Well I have quit the Arena. I kept getting matched up with over-powered enemies and loses the toss majority of the time. This is no fun anymore so I will just focus on the gameplay and events. Boycotting Arena until they make it more appealing.

opap
    @opap

I will have to laugh with t_russels reply as I do not keep statistics or 1000 tosses (im not THAT obsessed nor have I played 1000 arena games) but still its sure that with strongest opponents a 13 coin loss streak is at least statistically significant. To win 9 out of 10…well….kind of happens, as I try to confront only not much strongest opponents , or weaker, otherwise I log out and in again, but still it would have to get good points on 3 stars at least half of times. This does NOT happen and I more often get 15, 25 and a nothing than getting 150 or whatever is the maximum for golden league.
    With these terms alltogether, it is simply IMPOSSIBLE to progress and im just lucky not to get demoted yet…

Jamairoqui
    @jamairoqui

My experience was much the same as yours, with a high frustration level. But then I found a combination of banner/birds/hats/equipment that worked “most” of the time and it was better. Then, using that combination I found that as I rose higher it didn’t work so well anymore so I had to shift tactics and banner/birds/hats/equipment. Sometimes, it is as simple as getting the GPM to cough up a set item that completes something useful (for me, in the first Arena league, it was when I completed the Frost Banner/Top and could use Matilda with the Nightmare set).

In my opinion the coin toss is biased just a little, and there is definitely something screwy about how opponents are assigned in that the pool of opponents doesn’t change (I am tired of fighting TokyoNASCAR 10-15 times per day) and you are far more likely to meet stronger teams than weaker or evenly matched teams. But, as has been pointed out above, this is how separation is created in the scores, and you would be as frustrated if there were 13 people in your league fighting for 3rd place, all with scores in the 150,000 +/- 500 range on day 6, with one or two people who had 200,000+ (because they had 20 hrs per day available for grinding), as you are now where it seems absolutely impossible to advance.

It’s just a stupid game, and there really isn’t much skill involved (aside from recognizing strengths and weaknesses of different combinations of birds/banners). The best you can hope for is nobody laughs at you if they see you playing it.

GrauGeist
    @graugeist

Both of my Wood Leagues have 13/15 players who don’t play Arena AT ALL, not even for the gold. 1 other guy plays, and the rest are all ZERO. It’s awesome.

I’m grabbing some gold and will be bumped up to Stone League next week. But that’s OK, because I’ll drop myself right back down again (unless there are 3 others who refuse to play Stone League).

KillerKea
    @killerkea

@korath88 @opap You can’t get the revive emblem until you make it to the Platinum league and even if you make it to that league there is no guarantee you’ll be lucky enough to get it. I think some versions of this game may have an unfair toss. If you are losing nearly all of your coin flips, then it will be harder to win but planning becomes pretty easy. I’d recommend using the Underdog emblem since one of your birds is likely to die and the remaining two birds will get the 40% damage bonus until they die. If your bird revives with 2 or less of your team being alive, the revived bird will get the 40% damage bonus.

GrauGeist
    @graugeist

Yeah, Underdog is arguably the best emblem you get for a very long time.

LondoJowo
    @londojowo

I probably lose more tosses than I win but not by that much of a margin maybe 55% loss/45% win. At this point for me it really doesn’t matter unless I’m having to use a bird that’s easily killed, this is why I use Chuck/Phoenix set and Blues/Save Me set as much as possible. It doesn’t hurt to use Red (Paladin) as his strikes add points to the weakest bird or banner. I also tend to use the Blessed Set as it adds points as soon as the match starts. In the past 2 weeks I’ve only lost 5 battles total and usually stop playing after I’ve gotten 10k to 12k points for the 24 hour period.

opap
    @opap

My underdog banner and my phoenix/save me sets are very weak so they dont help a lot…:(

KillerKea
    @killerkea

My worst underdog emblem is 1519 and my best is 2268 so that is only about a 750 pt difference in banner health which isn’t that significant compared to the 40% damage bonus you get from it. My Sea Dog will do up to an extra 628 damage with a 40% bonus. My Paladin which only has a level 41 weapon does an extra 369 damage and extra 148 healing with the bonus.

If you don’t want to use the Underdog emblem, then I think the Vengence is the next best for you to use if you have it since each bird explodes for 20% of their maximum health in damage and Chuck and Blues can each explode twice if they have the Save Me and Reborn sets.

angryde
    @angryde

@opap I can understand your frustration @opap — however, I think you’re being blinded by fury! I haven’t spent a single cent of real world money on this game… and I’ve none of the ‘lucky coin purchasable classes.’ Yet, somehow, I’m still hanging on in platinum (and pushing for diamond prior to season 2, week 12). Sure, it ain’t no cake-walk, and perhaps I’ve been a tad lucky with my GPM roles here and there, but it’s doable. In the end, I have to agree with @jamairoqui — it really is a stupid game, designed to frustrate, and designed to prompt ‘furious’ real-world spending on ‘insignificant’ micro-transactions. Just enjoy it for what it is, eh… easier said than done, I realize!

opap
    @opap

Ι haven’t spent too, and I don’t have all classes, so I loose some daily objectives but that was not the point of the original message. It was that I only win coin tosses when I play with piggy mc cool –my fb friends do not exist anymore due to fb blocking my account– to refresh next opponent, or when the objective is that mysterious “win 2 arena battles during the enemies turn” , which sometimes I do win, but I haven’t the slightest clue how or why…
    I don’t have many strong set items, I don’t have 9 and 10 classes birds, but I think when the opponent is stronger (or much stronger) than me it is ridiculous that I loose coin toss 3 out of 4 times (at least).

angryde
    @angryde

I understand, mate. The best way to ‘Win 2x Battles During the Enemy’s Turn’ is to use the ‘Poisonous’ Arena Trio of Druid/Rouges/Rainbird — as their damage is applied at the beginning of the enemy’s turn. Give it a try. As to the coin toss win/loss percentage… I’d have to agree with something in the realm of 45% WIN to 55% loss in my anecdotal experience. However, I lucked out… and have both the ‘Reborn’ and ‘Save Me’ sets… so losing the coins toss isn’t as much of a disadvantage. Good luck! (p.s. I wasn’t trying to be annoying in my response!)

opap
    @opap

And what does it have to do if they get damage in the beginning of their turn? You mean their banner must fall before they start ?

angryde
    @angryde

Because when the banner falls – as a result of the primary damage from the Druid/Rouges/Rainbird trio being applied at the beginning of the enemy’s turn – it means that you ‘win’ during the enemy’s turn!

angryde
    @angryde

Druid/Rouges/Rainbird trio have a split damage allocation – the smaller component being applied during your turn – the greater component being applied at the START of the enemy’s turn. Is that making sense!?

angryde
    @angryde

Yes, so the banner must fall BEFORE any enemy bird commences an attack during their turn. This is how I interpreted it… and this is how I always complete this objective. I hope that helps you, mate!

angryde
    @angryde

I’m sure there are other ways of interpreting and/or completing this objective… but this is the strategy that I’ve always used…

Jamairoqui
    @jamairoqui

The “Thorns” emblem also works for “Win during enemy’s turn” objective (in fact there was one objective a few weeks ago where you had to use thorns, the passive damage from druid/rb/rogues wasn’t applicable). But you have to let the banner run way way down for thorns to work. The other one that is good, if you have the Nightmare set for Matilda, is to stun the banner with a Blues rage attack, and then let the double damage from the stun/Nightmare combination take out the banner.

But I understand what @opap is saying, that if every battle you’re in is a struggle to just survive, it’s hard to use complicated strategies to complete objectives. But the thing is, it might be if that is happening a lot, it is telling you that your bird set isn’t strong enough to be competitive at the level you’re playing, and you need to grind some more, and spend more LCs to get better set items. Getting your birds to 45/10 represents a lot of work, I am ashamed of the hours I put in grinding away at Star Reef Castle and remembering 3 hours had passed so I could go back to the dojo and pick out the mastery points available for snoutlings rather than LCs.

I suspect that is one of the things they did in the upgrade for Season 2 of Arena, made it harder so you have to spend some money to get better set items and so forth.

angryde
    @angryde

@jamairoqui I totally agree with what you’re saying – and I have a huge amount of empathy for @opap. I, too, have spent at least 60 minutes a day grinding away on this game since its initial release… and have slowly, oh so slowly, accumulated all the stuff one needs to ‘enjoy it’ post-update, post-Season-II. However, with that said, I only have perhaps 7 complete epic sets, and only two level 45 epic items… and only five 3x star GPM awarded Arena items, none of them sets. I’m not beyond feeling frustration, I can assure you! :-D

opap
    @opap

No chance I will spend a cent for this game (or any other like it) so not having high level items , since they cured that bug with the golden pig…

angryde
    @angryde

@opap I acquired all of my set items through gradually filling up the Golden Pig Machine – and through lucky daily rolls. The GPM exploit was nerfed ages ago… or so I believe… so I assume that everyone with level 40+ Epic Weapons and Sets has either payed for them or saved for them!

Home Forums Angry Birds Epic Forum Arena is a big joke

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.