Angry Birds Anonymous Page 9
  • 562 Comments
  • Welcome @ABcrazy.

We don't pass any judgements here, but I can't help to think that your nic would apply to most of the fingers here.

They say that the first step is admitting you have a problem, so like so many others, I refuse to admit I have a problem
  • @sparty Problem? No problem here. I just thought it might seem a little odd. My son noticed I was doing that and asked about it. He's a gamer... The one who introduced me to this particular franchise way back when it got started.
    No.... No problem here.....
  • Ok, I think I am going to cry. Yesterday, my phone notified me that it had a software update. Without thinking, I ran it. (before I did, I did do a backup of my angry birds data). AFTER the update was done, I was informed that I had just updated the firmware to 4.1.2 aka Jelly Bean. NOOOOOOOO, anything but jelly bean. I think I can back up my scores, but to my knowledge I can not recover them if something happens to my phone! When I got my phone, I intentionally got one that was running Ice Cream Sandwich so I could restore my scores/progress.

Someone really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really needs to come up with a way to save/restore to Jelly Bean.
  • @Sparty83 -- Have you checked with CmdrBond recently. It sounds like he can do it and might be willing to share if you are friends. Good Luck.
  • @mvnla2, even before my update yesterday, I had been following his thread. It would be nice if someone comes up with a way to save/restore on jelly bean. At this point, I don't need his services but was following to see how it progressed. I know there may be many people who might need his help.
  • @sparty May your data transfer properly. At least you did the backup! Sorry I can't help with ice cream or jelly beans.... Not my platform.
    I did finally quit the tally on the level when I realized it was me not doing so good anymore. So much for the pattern thing.
    OTOH, now I've been obsessing over one birding level that's only reportedly been one bird a few times. (Face palm)
  • Hi all, the first time I clicked on Anonymous.
    I need to talk about my addiction. Can we stand together, hold hands, and repeat "We are addicted" I need to know I'm with friends.
    iPad purchased about six months ago, having heard of AB, the first thing i did was to search Google, and the downward spiral spiralled.
    Oh, how Apple and Rovio foresaw my obsessive nature, my desire to win, the addiction that they would feed, nearly free, that little message in the back of my brain "Angry Birds, Angry Birds"
    Real obsession started with the ABS bonus levels. A level playing field, I now had some idea of strategies and tactics, but the time, time, time, needed to get up the leader board.
    And now, the circus is coming to town.
    Help.....
  • @HunnyBunny,

You are safe here, we are all friends!
  • The circus is coming to town. Why can't I think of anything else?
  • @sparty83 , Don't want to go through the hassle of rooting your phone? Or are you afraid to sacrifice OTA Android security updates - it sounds like those kind of bit you in the behind ;-) For me the tradeoff was worth it:

You can backup/ restore your game progress with a file manager (e.g. Total Commander, ES File Explorer… both very good and free).

You can use Titanium Backup (or similar) to backup/ restore different releases of your apps. Switch between AB releases in 30 seconds - optionally preserve your current highscore.lua. Nice if you want to revisit an old version of the game that still has a certain glitch.

Use AdAway (or similar) for a spiffier internet experience. Also nukes ads from a lot of free apps. I personally pay for apps I enjoy using, but occasionally the only thing available is an add-supported version.

Secure your internet traffic at public wi-fi spots with a free VPN service. I use Orbot. I rarely have a PC running that I can VPN to, and I feel that paid-for VPN services (that don’t require) root are a bit of a scam.

Etc. Loads of things that make it an interesting proposition.

Um, that was pretty long... pardon the proselytizing.

P.S. My score in AB Space was just beginner's luck. I hardly spend any time playing and I do not have a problem. I really shouldn't be in this thread ;-)
  • Having been brave enough to admit my addiction, I now have to admit to Extreme-Obessive-Compulsive-Everything-Has-To-Be-Perfect-Disease (try typing that on your iPad, so perfectly, to diagnose if you have it)
    And I'm-So-Competitive-I-Can-Sulk-For-A-Week-If-I-Lose-Syndrome (another sign of my EOCEHTB Disease, yet again typing perfectly on the hateful iPad keyboard)
    But now I seem to have Bird Dyslexia
    The symptoms, best explained on a three bird level:
    The first bird is precise, you just need to hit that sweet spot, kills the required piggies, no debris left. The second is a really tricky one, shooting the moon, perhaps, not much damage, but making the way for the really easy third bird.
    AND what happens next? Bird Dyslexia. That easy shot, the one you can always do. And where does it go? Up in the sky. Straight into a wall. Falls miserably into the ground.
    Help!
  • @burpie,

I would rather not root my phone. I just got it and with the work Rovio is doing on their sync system, I'm hoping they get it figured out before I need a new phone. (they have about 1 1/2 years left on my contract)

You also stated " I hardly spend any time playing and I do not have a problem. I really shouldn't be in this thread ;-)", Denile isn't just a river in Egypt. I'll just put you down as Step 1
  • @Bowzerbird -- Check out the forum on Jelly Bean backup. I think @CmdrBond has figured it out. He would probably be willing to tell you, even if he hasn't posted it yet. I think he is waiting for approval from the admins. If you buy an iPone, it will run IOSxxx, which can be backed up, and has the added advantage of getting updates more quickly than some other platforms. Of course, you may have to give up the Mac and Cheese in the pot for Fettucini Al'Freda prepared table-side and served on fine china with a glass of wine.
  • @Hummybunny I've read your posts, welcome to ABA. Yes, we're all friends here. Another forum where you'll find peeps to chat with and a safe place to discuss your EOCEHTB. I've dropped in for a therapy session myself tonight. But first I want to let you know that our resident doctor, Dr. Feelgood is here to help. I'm sure he can hook you up with the right meds to keep that dreaded EOCEHTB under control. @Kimmiecv, @Kathy, myself and others get our meds from him. (I recommend you ask him for the tropical shaped and flavored meds) He may even be able to help you with Bird Dyslexia. If he can, please let me know as I often suffer from that. A word of warning: you'll find that not only are the birds terribly addicting but so too is the nest. It seems that as time goes by the nest becomes more and more addicting as you discover the many portals of pleasure. Then, (slowly at first), you begin staying up later and later each night until you find yourself like me and @Kimmiecv - insomniacs! Kimmie has worse than me, but there are nights like tonight when sleeps eludes me. It's only been (poofs to check date) Oh goodness it's been over a year for me now! My 1yr anniversary with ABN was on April 6th. *happy anniversary Bird Addict* uhuum...Anyway as I was saying, it's only been a year and yet, looking back I can't recall what life was like without ABN! Well I'd best go now, I dropped in for the therapy (thanks for helping me with that) but now I must go locate Dr. Feelgood and see what he suggest for the insomnia. *poof*
  • Yep and here I am it's after 3am with no sleep in sight!!!! Thought I'd drop in and welcome @hunnybunny as well!! :)
    My goodness it's been FOREVER since I've been here!! I've been so caught up in SW I haven't done much else in my free time, well ummm that's a lie!! Actually I'm here in the Nest every day and night but when I'm Not here in the Nest I'm flinging my finger raw!! Finally got my green saber and addict badge and now I've got the POWAH!! So while it feels like old times I've really got to run!! Gotta go back through all of SW again using my new POWAH to get my scores up to par on the leaderboards!! So it's been nice visiting!!
    Bye bye :)
  • Hi, my name is Firebombbird and i think I'm addicted to Angry Birds too
    I'm always get lucky when on the first try on a level, but when I try on the second try and the others try, the lucky won't come and I just think "just try one more time and let's see is the lucky will come" so I try forever until I go to the Nest and watch the walkthrough videos, after that I can beat the levels ( just beat the levels, not get 3 stars ). So I made two steps: first- finish all the level, second- get 3 stars in all levels. I'm currently finish all the levels
  • @ fire bomb bird my addiction started exactly the same way: finish the level, then three star each level, then it gets worse. Over the average for each level. Now trying to get into the top hundred for each episode. Then climbing the leader board...
    @bird addict, wonderful name, may just have to check in with the Doc, although I think I'm past help
  • I've just realize I'm the Nest addict too. Can't imagine one day without Angry Birds and the Nest
  • I know exactly what you mean, @firebombbird;D
  • You would think that after all this time that my dog would recognize that there's a new set of AB games out and be patient on when breakfast was going to be served. BUT NO!
    Dang stupid lack of thumbs anyway...
    Really inconsiderate if you ask me.
  • @78RPM I understand your frustration with he who has no thumbs, but keep in mind he also doesn't have the capacity to play AB and doesn't that make ya wanna go awwwwww poor stupid puppy dog with no thumbs? Just leave the bag of food open on the floor and he'll drown his loneliness in the bag and gain a few pounds. Or you could just take him to the pound for a few days...
    Just checking in, doing the requisite therapy. I'll be lost in the circus for awhile so don't expect me back anytime soon. Oh there's my portal now! Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Portal thrust me here!
  • I thought I'd finished with this addiction when I got all the levels out. Then I discovered this site and started all over, doing 3 stars for every game. Then I deleted all my highscores files and did it all over again. That had to be the end of it, right? Wrong. Now it's the *!?@#(|* leaderboard averages. And I suspect that won't be the end of it, after all there's still a list of top scores somewhere ....
  • i think i have a bit of a addiction to the nest and Angry Birds. :)
  • @firebombbird i defiantly agree with that :)
  • Newly confessed AB / ABN addicts -- Look at the bright side, it's a harmless addiction as long as you don't neglect your real life and loved ones.
    We're all in this together, helping each other. Well at least we help each other spend as little time as possible getting through levels, getting 3*, getting above average, etc.
  • I agree with @mvnla2. AB and ABN it's a harmless addiction and this addiction it's totally better than you addict to the violent games
  • Sorry to every one here, but I haven't had much time to check out this post. I have had time to visit the Nest every day (actually several times a day) so I also may have an ABN addiction to go along with my AB addiction.

Well now I must, umm, well, should do house work, but

MUST

KILL

PIGGIES!!!!!!!!!
  • What does an addict do when his supplier disappears? He goes back hunting through all the empty packets looking for crumbs. So many leaderboards to fill in, while we wait for PC updates ...
  • After you fill in all the leaderboards, then you will want to have 3*, and then above average on all levels (if you don't already). Then there is the real serious stuff, like getting to the top 100 or 50 on all levels, an entire episode, an entire game. Maybe event top 10, or even first? I don't think anyone has come close to being first on more than 1 game. Anyway -- for mere mortals AB will never end.
    Have fun!
  • I think I'm overdoing it, I'm starting to find my eyes aren't up to it. And I have the big screen, I don't know how people with small screens get on. My leaderboards are going in one by one as I get the above-average (I've only missed one, and it's about 100 short), so sometimes it's several hours' worth of screen-staring to get just one number.
  • @Kewpie -- It's really worthwhile to get all your scores in that you have, at least on one episode. It helps you figure out what to work on first. You can sort by "off-average", rank, or "off-high". It helps to switch levels after a while, several hours is probably too long, although I've been guilty of that.
    I agree on the big screen, I started out on an iPhone, and realized it was just too small. Not sure which big screen you're using, but I use a stylus with an iPad.
  • I have a 26" monitor for daytime, and a 10" android tablet for the evening. My vision is blurring seriously, and my current glasses are only a few weeks old, so I'm doing myself damage with this stuff. 3-starred everything on PC, so I'm making the step-up from 3-star to average while filling in the numbers. Android is 3-star only, that's quite difficult enough for small-screen for me, and the ads drive me nuts there too.
  • Actually, @mvnla2, @manumalin was leader of both the original and Rio leaderboards until @bastiereoxxor overtook him by a couple of thousand in the original a few weeks ago:) Top brand of flingers;)
  • Responding to your post from a month ago @hunnybunny (sorry, Ive been ignoring this forum to favor my guilty pleasure - NOT addiction) regarding the 3 perfect shot levels. I feel your pain. I think the third shot gets flubbed because you don't get a chance to practice it enough until you perfect the first 2. Then when you get into the rhythm of the first 2, its dinner time, or bed time, or some other silly inconvenience like.... I dont know.... You can't focus on the screen anymore. It's not you hunnybunny, its the rest of the world infringing on your playtime. Ignore them, go play! ;-)
  • @sparty83 You have me on step 1 on page 1. Is there some minuscule fraction that qualifies me? I mean, just cause I'm developing pointer-like callouses on certain fingers doesn't mean anything. Really?
  • Howdy there everybody, is this the place for hardcore Angry birds fanatics?
  • @BullFrog read page one. You only have to show the tiniest sympton and Sparty will have you strtaight onto the list, not many of us have made it past step one.
    you may also like to check out the Bloated Pig - all addicts, but more light hearted - or the seniors page - over 40s - which doesn't sound too old to some of us!
  • @BullFrog -- Welcome to the Nest! Glad to see you're already playing the challenge. Yes, there are lots of top-notch players on this site, but we all help each other, so your scores will improve if you hang around. (I'm not a top-notch player, BTW.) As for the Mango trophy, see Xebic's strat and Crazy Riders video. Not sure if all the high scores used that, but I think a lot of them did. It's hard to get the "perfect" first shot, and then takes lots of patience to get the rest to fall. But then it's not nearly as bad as getting the anchor badge or total self-destruction on DZ-4.
    Whoot! -- Just got 151K on the Mango trophy and only took 15 min of constant flinging to get the right length of chain, and only 10 min waiting for the rest to fall. Previous attempt was 25 min, and then needed a second bird.
  • @ABCrazy, the fact that you posted something here qualifies you for Step 1. If you feel like you have made progress, I will be more than happy to move you to the Step you feel you have achieved. It's based on the honor system, I don't ask for nor require proof.

@BullFrog, Welcome, you are safe here. We all know the, for a lack of a better word, problems you are having. Thanks for stopping by. (also, if you feel that you have progressed beyond Step 1, just let us know.

And as an update for myself, yes, I am still on Step 1 and shall remain there as long as Rovio pushes updates for Angry Birds (Original), Angry Birds Seasons, Angry Birds Rio, Angry Birds Space, Angry Birds Star Wars, Angry Birds Facebook Friends and Angry Birds Star Wars Facebook version.
  • @sparty83 I hadn't realized that I had made it to step 1 yet. I sure haven't moved beyond it yet! ;-)
  • I've been thinking of some tips that may be of help to others here:

1. Remove any aiming assist markers, such as post-it flags from your screen prior to using your device in public. This will avoid the awkward moment of having to explain to the curious onlooker why you have a sticky in the middle of your screen. You'll find that perfect aiming point again, you found it the first time, didn't you?

2. Select only the longest red lights to get a few flings in while driving, and only those levels where precise aim and timing is not required. The other drivers will appreciate you actually looking up to see if the light has changed between flings.

3. When working on a fling & pray level, particularly those that require patience to let it play out, find another activity such as watching a movie, enduring the day long class you have to take, house chores, whatever allows you to keep playing, but not have to actually watch how it unfolds for the umpteenth time.

More to come if there is interest. Please join in & add any you might have.

Disclaimer: I present these tips for entertainment value only. In no way do I endorse, nor admit to doing any of these activities myself. Flinging while driving is dangerous. Don't do this at home.
  • @ABCrazy --#2 is dangerous only if you actually fling while driving, in which case it's more dangerous than texting while driving. Please don't. At a red light, you only have to contend with irate other drivers, and I suppose that in Texas, that could be more dangerous than texting while driving.
    I totally agree with #3, I would add playing the piano to the list -- totally takes your mind off AB. Playing golf also works, but is really only useful for those levels that take many hours, 'cause no way can you play AB on the golf course, at least not if you ever want to play in the same foursome again.
  • @mvnla2 thanks for commenting. I would never fling & drive while in motion. I can't even handle phone talking & driving. Most of the time I drive a stick (manual transmission, meaning you hand/foot shift gears yourself for those who haven't seen one), so I don't have enough hands for anything other than vehicle control. Traffic here can be almost, but not quite as bad as it is in LA, and when a particular level beckons.... The stop lights that take several cycles to get through fits the bill. Erhmm.... Not that I've actually done that myself. I saw it on the Internet. Yeah.... That's it. ;-)
  • @ABCrazy -- Yeah, I've had lots of manual transmission cars, and my husband had one until a few years ago, when he decided it was just not worth it driving in LA traffic. I switched long ago, after too many drives home at a max of 5 miles/hr -- my left leg got sore from working the clutch.
  • @mvnla2 I thought you would understand, I was explaining more for the general audience. I used to have a very short commute for a very long time, so the traffic just didn't matter to me. But working the clutch in stop n go traffic can be a workout. For one leg. Depending on the clutch spring tension.
  • Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh, my ABN addict is getting worse, I can stop flinging for few days but I can't stop go to the Nest for 1 day because there is always something new on this site everyday
  • Following on from ABCrazy, tips to convince He Who Does Not Fling that I haven't been playing all day when he gets home from work

1. Always have some washing on the line. Yesterday's will do, he won't know
    2. Internet food shopping. Looks like you've been to the supermarket
    3. Buy a nice pie or tart that looks homemade. Remove all packaging and place on a plate in the fridge. He always looks in there
    4. Spray a little bit of furniture polish about. Not onto the furniture, you understand, as then you'd have to polish, taking up valuable flinging time. Just into the air
    5. Have an extensive, but fictitious 'Things to do List' cross lots off and leave lying around

Of course, like ABCrazy, I don't actually do any of those things, I'm a real domestic goddess!
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!