The Bloated Pig - A Place for Weary Flingers Page 2423
  • 159787 Comments
  • Oohhh @bernersenn I hope not:(
    But maybe they will learn that the original Free games were most popular and now that they keep charging for in -app purchases they are not making money as they hoped.
    The games now are geared to kids who actually can't purchase these things and serious players refuse to pay .
  • And the Princess awakes!
  • Sorry @Jaydee I missed you coming in the door of the BP. I was focused on @BeautifulVVorld at the time. Normally when he comes to the bar, it's to tell me in some cryptic manner that he's taken back the lead in Beak Impact from me. So I immediately went to check my leaderboards and missed your comment. In reference to that young upstarts score on the challenge, I'm not sure he lowered it enough. Every score he has entered, and he's only entered about fifteen in FMTTM, is a last place score. Except for two. The daily challenge level and 3-1. Both of which he sez he got top scores on. Very, very suspicious. Hmmmm??

Hello @bernersenn Glad to hear you have a little more giddy-up today. Btw, I remember someone asking me if I was going to buy stock in Rovio. My answer at the time sounds a lot like that editorial you posted. ha ha

Morning @Princesspagechanger
  • I meant to ask you a question the next time you stopped by @BeautifulVVorld. Did you ever hear back from Rovio about the Game Center debacle? I haven't.
  • @bernersenn -- Glad you are feeling better, and hope you continue to do so.
    As for JTWade -- He/she has been around for quite a while and has a lot of badges. I've seen his/her comments on walkthroughs etc., so I accepted the friends request.
    @Jaydee -- Welcome to the BP. Hope you come back often. Hope you read page 1 for the rules. Also, your first request for food and drink are on the house.
  • Why won't @jtwade enter any scores @Mvnla2. That's such a large part of the nest's reason for existing. I don't understand how someone could get an alumni badge, for example, without any scores. And no profile what-so-ever? And now they want to be friends with every single flinger in the ABN. Well, until I see a little more involvement from @jtwade, I'm going to continue to reject the friendship request. But that's just me.
  • @bernersenn - that was good news today lets hope you continue to improve!
    @rat - sorry to frighten you with my new look! Remind me nearer the time to get ready to cheer!
    OB yes I'll have a milkshake - oh fresh from the cow! She's in the yard at the back until I return the bell - mmm - well looks like she'll be here til at least October 25th!
    Hi @jaydee - welcome to the madhouse! Would you like a milkshake?
  • Hi @all! Back home after super weekend.
    @mumsie No, 'twas Westende on Belgian coast. Great at this time of year!
  • @mumsie please forgive me, forgot to thank you. That is the risk with mentioning names. Yes, let us hope it will be better. Actually it's almost 7:00 pm, still no complaints.
  • Oh looks nice @tompuss - just googled it - did you have a paddle in the sea?
  • Morning @Pa :)
    I sent @jtwade a pm and he (?) replied saying ty and he is trying to get 'out' more in the nest.
  • @bernersenn I think they just tried a lot of different business directions, and are cutting off the ones that aren't profitable. You don't have anything to worry about, but since PC users are well under 1% of their customer base, we definitely do.
  • @kelani business case? How much did we actually pay for AB? 2 or 3 Euro - then another one for unlimited use of the Eagle. That's it. How many episodes did we got for this money, and how many will follow? And yes, I am aware that we Nesters are just a minor little peace of their cake. But unlimited upgrades? All the to me known software companies, Microsoft, Apple, Citrix, etc will have some money paid when you are going to use new versions. Subscribes or whatover. What to think about Adobe, think of Photoshop. Their software you can use on a monthly based subscription
  • Has anyone tried plunder pirates ?
  • @bernersenn -- I think Rovio's mistake was having an outrageously high price on IAPs, up to $100, and that doesn't even get you everything. If you spend a first $50, or $100, you will find yourself spending another. I've seen people make comments in the nest that they spent $200 or more and still wanted more.
    I'd much rather pay a little as I go along, and I think the number of people who would pay $1 or $2 is much, much larger than 200 x the number who are willing to spend $200.
    @Kathy -- I haven't tried Plunder Pirates. Neither it nor Clash of Clans appeals to me. I am actually surprised that Plunder Pirates is considered a success.
  • @Kathy I've been playing it daily. I love it.
  • @mvnla2 why? It's a really good game. The programmers did an amazing job on it. Plus, the developers are very involved in the community. I reported a bug yesterday, and it was fixed within two hours. It is way better than Clash, from what I've heard. I never played it. Still, if you don't like the genre, you wouldn't like this game.

Agree 100% on the too-high IAP policy. 99.99 for anything is ridiculous.
  • @Kelani -- Interesting list. However, I can't believe that ToonsTV is only worth $200! Is this the Toons we see on every game, and that has trailers (ads) for lots of movies and games?
  • @mvnla2 what are IAP's? Sorry I'm not at home in this business.
    @kelani you can't pay your bills with current worth. It's like our own little shop, with the stock I can't pay anything.
  • @Kelani -- I don't know if my marriage can survive my playing another game. But you are tempting me, since I respect your opinions.
  • @bernersenn IAP = In App Purchases I thi k ?

• @bernersenn -- IAP = in-app-purchases. You can buy power-ups for the classic AB games, but with the newer games it becomes more and more difficult to progress or win without them. So far I've been able to set it as an additional challenge to progress without them, but I did have to set up a facebook account for AB Epic so I could progress without IAPs.
  • @bernersenn I agree with you, but I was talking about the non-game experimental projects they've tried. Sodas, Theme parks, animated series, movies? They put a lot of money towards trying creative new projects, in hopes one of them would pay off like AB. Those that didn't, I suspect are what will be cancelled.

btw, I think some of the layoffs will be Rovio dumping PC, except for (hopefully) updates of existing games. All of their newest games (Epic, Go, Stella, Transformers) won't ever be released on PC.
  • @kathy @mvnla2 now I understand. My wife plays mostly that Candy Crush. Once in a while she buys some extra moves.
    For the AB games: this old guy is still happy with the old games. Seasons, Rio, ABO, and Space. The SWI when I have lots of time (happens never), SWII: never looked at it
  • Luckily you got you iPad now @Kenobi :)
  • @mvnla2 I don't know how they arrive at that figure, or what time slice it's for. but I agree. ToonsTV makes way more than just from ad sales. Maybe they weigh app store sales too heavily, or just don't have enough data.

I'm flattered you respect my opinions. :) But if you don't like the Clash genre, you probably won't like PP. It is largely the same thing, but better. I like it because there's no ads and the IAPs aren't required to do well, they just make the waits shorter. Also, past a certain level, the delays for exploration and builds are so long, you can just check in for 5-10 minutes a day to catch up, or spend all day invading people.

I'm just amazed at how hands-on the developers are being. They openly asked for feature requests after the launch, and got so many, they delayed the first update a week so they could add more of them.

If I had a question about the game, I could go to the forum, ask an admin, and he'd reply in minutes. I dunno how he does it, but it's still impressive.
  • @Kathy yeah, that will make life easier. Sharing was no fun at all. Plus, an ingredient in my cousin's nail polish was starting to scratch the screen protector :)
  • Really @kelani hmm ..I don't wear polish but maybe acetone? @Jlz666 would know. But no matter your not getting that one back:)
    I forget did your case come yet? Mine is due to arrive on Wednesday unless @fenikus gets his hands on it , last tracking point was Stratford Ct. :/
  • @Kathy Acetone is in some nail polish removers,but it wouldn't be good for a screen, either. :) Nail polish has additives that make it harder. Sometimes it's acrylic resin, or aluminum oxide (used in sandpaper, and in the gorilla glass screen coating) they can cause very fine scratches that you can't see, but over time, swiping in the same place (like flinging) blurry spots will start to form.

I actually got my case Friday. It wasn't supposed to come in til Weds, but I guess there's an Amazon distro center near Charlotte, because that's where the tracking started, and mail from there takes one day to get here.
  • @mumsie No paddling. . . weekend was devoted mostly to gastronomy, music and general chilling out. Had great view of beach and sea from high-rise apartment, in all weathers including one spectacular sunset. . And a little time to spare for Ham Dunk -:)
  • Plunder Pirates only for Apple ? @mvnla2 @Kelani
  • Oohh ya lol I knew that @Kelani.. back in the day when i Did wear polish (occasionally ) I worked with aacetone and it did mess up my nails. Also good for cleaning jewelry:)
  • @Kathy yeah, PP comes out for Android in 2015.

Acetone is my #3 favorite solvent. I use it for most of my projects, especially if I'm using fiberglass resin or epoxy. I just hate how quickly it evaporates. Good for doing your nails, not so good for when you need it to stay around.
  • @Kathy now you know how PC users feel. of course, I just posted on the forums, I think Rovio's done releasing PC/Mac versions for new games. They may still update the old ones, though.

btw, it'll be 2015 in 2-1/2 months :D I know why they did that, they're trying to get it working great first, then worry about porting it to another platform.
  • I still think I'm going to win that court case @Kelani. The money will come in handy so SWDNF can retire.
  • @Kelani -- I hope you're really careful with all solvents, even acetone. When I was in college, acetone was used like water, more or less (although not for drinking). You should read the MSDS (material safety data sheet), and use only the minimum necessary in a well ventilated area.
  • @kelani @karen68 he's gone (you two know who I mean) Admitted to using power ups. Great job by the admins (again)

Acetone. The only chemical I know about, nail polish remover! I'm always painted!

@kathy gin is good for cleaning jewellery. Leave it to soak overnight, nail brush on the bigger bits, a pin or needle in the little clasps. Works a treat....
  • Oh, and, @TomPuss that's my kind of weekend :-))))
  • Thanks @hunnybunny I hadn't heard that I'll give it a try
    Also toothpaste works ;)
    A plane in Logan is being quarantined 5 on board with flu like symptoms:/
  • @kathy I've never tried / heard of "toothpaste" method
    I expect any good stuff resist the onslaught of acid, abrasion, whatever

There's an article somewhere on gold I'll check out
  • Ya toothpaste works good on diamonds @hunnybunny gives them a nice shine
    Let me know what you find; )
    In the meantime OB I'll have a PigKiller And a side of Crispy pig ears
    Wonder where @theanonymoussomone has been hiding, I ran across a funny post by him the other day in space very excitedly explaining a strat lol.
  • And planes

There was a marvellous piece on the radio this morning. A guy being flown from Asia to the UK on his medical insurance, after having broken his leg in many place, found his plane diverted to the Middle East due to engine failure. All the passengers and crew were taken off, other than him and his medical carer, too much trouble to take him off. And one flight steward stayed on to ensure the pair of them were looked after. A maintenance crew came on.
    The steward and carer carried him him up to first class and the three of them drank all the good stuff dry!
  • I found the interesting "Why go we value gold so much" article
    It's BBC news, so can't post here. BBC won't let you read unless you live in the UK. Goodness knows why they're so precious (pun intended)
  • Really @hunnybunny You can't post something from the BBC ? Interesting but i can listen to BBC radio and read it also:/
  • @kathy you get BBC world service, the stuff we get here is different, I think

I'll post the link, I bet it doesn't work

Well I tried, don't know whether
    1. I messed up
    2. IOS8 failed me again
    3. BBC just wouldn't let me

Never mind I'm off to bed. #1 in puppy challenge today, unfortunately the original top scorer is @rat so no new doggie for me :-(
Post in the New Forum!