The wait is finally over — Angry Birds Stella is out now for iOS and Android via Google Play, NOOK, and Blackberry 10 with Windows Phone coming soon! Download the app now and join Stella and her friends Dahlia, Poppy, Willow and Luca in their battle to defend the Golden Island from Gale and her band of portly pigs.
Let’s jump right into it shall we!
At this time we aren’t exactly sure how many levels there are, but Stella is broken down into two main episodes. In the first episode each batch of levels introduces a new bird and is finished off with a super fun “Wall of Pigs” level. At the end of the first episode there is “Giant Gold Flower” bonus level.
All told, episode one contains sixty normal levels, five Wall of Pigs, and one bonus level — so 66 levels in all. Wow! We will update this as we know more about episode 2, which is Beach Day.
While Stella gameplay is familiar, there are a number of things that take some getting used to. The fact that your highscore is NOT displayed while playing a level is by far the biggest (how do I improve my score or compete against my friends?). I just can’t imagine that was intentional. Anyhow, I digress. The other big difference is that you don’t just tap to trigger a bird’s ability, rather you tap AND hold. While this takes some getting used to — especially with Dahlia and Willow — it’s actually really cool and I find it quite helpful.
It goes without saying, but Angry Birds Stella is story driven, so it follows a more linear path than the other Angry Birds flinger apps. As you progress through episode one each area reveals a new character and their house. Let’s break those down.
Birds + Abilities (in order of appearance)
Now that we have Stella and friends out of the way let’s figure out some ways to master the actual gameplay.
- As I mentioned above, when triggering a bird’s ability you can now tap and HOLD for a certain amount of time. This allows you to aim more precisely and get an idea of the bird’s trajectory and final destination.
- The total number of stars you’ve accumulated is shown in the top left corner. Earning stars is important as the extra birds in your line-up are unlocked when you achieve a certain number. Without these extra birds you don’t get your 10,000 point bonuses.
- You can bounce off large drums and still use the birds’ ability afterwards.
- Look for sparkling flowers and try to destroy them, as they will earn you 3,000 points each.
Other Useful Info
- At this time we are unsure if there are any hidden items to collect (ala, Golden Eggs).
- The scrapbook allows you to access the characters and costumes you’ve unlocked
- There is a hammer Power Up that is first unlocked on level 13. After using it it takes a certain amount of time for it to recharge or you can spend coins and use it immediately.
- As you enter new areas a smoke screen comes up that forces you to either wait a certain amount of time or spend coins to proceed. See screenshot below.
- Certain pigs release floating coins. Either tap them or simply wait for the bubble to pop.
- Your earn bonus coins each time you beat a Wall of Pigs level. The amount varies by level.
- Starting with level 5 the scores required to earn 1, 2, and 3 stars are revealed and the line up of birds is set.
- No Rovio Accounts option … yet.
- You can connect to Facebook and compete against your friends; however, currently your scores are only shown upon completing a level.
- Game Center support with achievements and leaderboards.
- Let us know if you find any other mini-games, such as the one in the credits that we revealed here.
- Compete with players from around the world on our Stella leaderboard (be sure to note your scores and take screenshots for easy retrieval)
- Angry Birds Stella achievements as listed in Game Center
- Stuck on a level? Our walkthroughs are here to help.
- Ask questions, leave feedback, or offer suggestions in the Stella Forum.
- Learn how to backup and restore your Angry Birds Stella progress. ALWAYS make local backups!
So there we have it! Angry Birds Stella definitely doesn’t disappoint. It’s a fun new adventure that offers enjoyable gameplay and an immersive story. My only real gripe is that I want it to be easier to see my scores so I can improve them and compete with others! I’m sure you will all agree.