If you have been anxiously waiting for the Angry Birds to come flying through your 40-inch flatscreen HD television set — or even that 18-inch, 150-pound set with the rabbit ears on top — your wait may soon be over! Activision and Rovio have confirmed that they are teaming up to bring the Angry Birds Trilogy to gaming consoles! There is a lot that has been confirmed in a recent article by IGN.com, which even contains a nice video with a look at some of the imagery involved. (We took a couple screenshots and included them below, but be sure to check out IGN’s video as well.)
After reading the article and watching the video ourselves, we can confirm, speculate, and question nearly everything that you may want to know about this new game. So, let’s run down some of the highlights.
What we know:
- The so-called “Angry Birds Trilogy” (herein called ABT) will be a single disc/cartridge that contains the first three mobile apps: Angry Birds, Seasons, and Rio.
- ABT will be available for XBox 360, PlayStation 3, and Nintendo 3DS. In addition to controller gameplay, gamers will be able to use Kinect, Move, and StreetPass, respectively, to fling birds at those evil pigs and marmosets. And for all our 3DS gamers, yes, you will be able to play in either 2D or 3D.
- Update: On 12 July, Activision confirmed the pricing information. The discs will sell for $39.99 on Xbox 360 and PS3, and for $29.99 on 3DS.
- Petri Järvilehto (Executive VP of Games, Rovio): “There are new cinematics, extras and other entertaining content.” We aren’t entirely sure what these extra and such will entail, but we do notice a mini-biography about Terence during the video, so it could include that.
- Järvilehto: “The backgrounds have been animated, we’ve added lighting modes, reactive backgrounds, the list goes on and on.” Frankly, the images shown in the video look incredible. Even the Episode Selection Screen looks super slick!
- Individual leaderboards for each level!
What we speculate:
Disclaimer: These speculations are based solely on images seen in the video. During the next few months, Rovio could very well change things, so any or all of these items could be nixed by the time the final product comes around.
- About 18 secs into the video there they show an Episode Selection Screen of Angry Birds Seasons. Based on this it appears that the Mighty Eagle will be in the game! Notice the feather counter.
- Also based on this image, it appears that the Facebook/Twitter levels will be unlocked or unlockable! Notice the feather/star counter is accurate for 18 levels.
What we don’t know:
- When will it be released?
- Will ABT receive updates? I believe this is what IGN means when they asked about the “free level packs iOS and Android players received”, but I’m just speculating about their author’s wording.
- Will the aforementioned “individual level leaderboards” be inter-platform? That is, will XBox scores appear on the leaderboard of a PS3 user?