Worst Bosses in the Game

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum Worst Bosses in the Game

• I thought it might be fun to air grievances about our least favorite bosses in the game, and maybe share some strategies that have made these bosses easier on some of us. I recently replayed through just the boss levels in the game so far (since I was seeing random ones crop up in the DC and wanted to refresh my memory), so I figured now would be as good a time as any.

I’ll start with some rare tough ones from earlier in the game, then when I have more time I’ll get to more recent levels.

First up, Eggchanted Woods level 50: This is the one with the “fireman pigs” not seen in any other level, who obliterate your birds if you try to go through the portal. Knocking the boss through the portal onto the TNT several times isn’t that hard in theory. In practice, it’s the first of a great many situations where it’s far too easy to get the boss stuck in a nigh-immovable pile of debris each time he bounces back from the last hit. This level just seems clumsily designed, like they invented a whole new type of pig just to patch a puzzle they couldn’t present in more of an elegant fashion.

Eggchanted Woods level 60: Another one where one wrong move gets the boss stuck in a mire of clutter and it takes several birds to dig him back out again. Surgical precision is the key here – destroy the obstacles to the left, right, and above the boss before you try to hit him directly. Of course that takes a lot of birds and it’s quite easy to mess this up. I hate that these two bosses are back-to-back so early in the game.

Chirp Valley level 70: This one’s either really easy or close to impossible. Luck of the draw depending on where the boss lands after you explode the TNT under him. If he rolls to the right against the wood and glass wall you’re about to destroy, it’s a cakewalk. If he rolls against the solid wall to the left, he’s out of reach of most birds and even Bomb, Silver and Matilda can’t really move him away.

Shangham level 110: The first of many situations where you’re out of luck if you don’t have either a specific bird or just a lot of them. Terence is the only reliable bird that get over the construction pigs without getting rerouted. Blues can do it if you’re lucky. And once the boss falls down, he has a really bad habit of getting stuck in the crack instead of blown back up onto the glass platform above the bit – so now you need to send another bird down there and hope you can jostle him loose.

Up next: Greasy Swamp, Greenerville, Steakholm, Misty Mire.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Replies
  • David Martin
    @david-martin

Greasy Swamp level 140: Take my complaints about level 60. Cut, paste, and amplify. That’s this level. I’ve been through so many boss fights that I feel were designed to be a lot trickier than this one, yet whenever I come back to this level, I’m almost guaranteed to fail it multiple times. Doesn’t matter how careful I am. That pig will get stuck on a few pieces of glass or wood and refuse to budge.

Greenerville level 160: Basically level 70 rehashed. Except this time it’s easier to knock the pig further into the corner you’re trying to get him out of. If that TNT blows and he gets stuck on something, you’re doomed.

Steakholm level 200: Great, another “hope the boss doesn’t get stuck on his way through a tunnel you can’t reach scenario. Plus Laser Pigs. Oink those guys.

Surprisingly none of the Misty Mire bosses are that bad. It’s a nice breather before Pigsyland and Snotting Hill.

RedYoshi45
    @smwforever45

The first two bosses of Pigsyland are hell. One is where you have to knock Chef Pig off that elevated position, the other is where you have to free Foreman Pig from his cell. I had a lot of trouble with these.

Rowdypup
    @rowdypup

Even though I forgot most of them, the ones that I can remember the most (because I hate them) are:
    – (Level 254) Annoying (like @smwforever45 said)- where Moustache Pig spawns right under the Birds, but you have to bounce them off the wall on the right so they have a precise shot when it comes to going high over the main structure, but low enough to travel through the tunnel (once Moustache Pig is “released” he dies almost instantly)

– (Level 326) A bit frustrating- Whenever Chef Pig is spit out of the flower (on the bottom-right), he flies up and hits the balloons, causing him to fall onto the lower platform, which is hard to get to with most Birds, and if you do get him, he falls into the flower and is tossed around like a volleyball, making him even harder to hit (I had Terence shoot up out of the flower with such force as Chef pig was coming down that he literally made Chef fly up and over the level, to the cliffs on the right side

– (Level 246) (Again like RedYoshi said)- you have to get Birds up to Chef Pig by bouncing off the floor, then the wall, they if they make it- see if they can get him to fall down into instant death

If I can remember anymore tough boss levels, I will post them- most are easy, so this list may be pretty short

David Martin
    @david-martin

Ugh, I hate 246. Will post details later.

254 is super easy if you have Bomb. I posted about this in the Daily Challenge thread recently.

Is 326 the one where the flower shoots him straight up over and over, and you have to hit a moving target? Matilda’s fun to have handy in that situation.

David Martin
    @david-martin

Pigysland level 246: As mentioned yesterday, one of the absolute worst. Just getting to the boss is a huge pain; then once you get him down you have to hope he doesn’t bounce back to safety. There’s no viable strategy here that I can see beyond “have a lot of birds and never mis-aim or mis-time a shot”.

Pigsyland level 267: Another one where it takes several birds and some very precise bouncing to get to the boss, then he might land in a pile of debris and be hard to push to the trampolines in order to bounce him off the screen after that. I kind of hate Pigsyland in general, as it has a super-high ratio of levels that require precise ricochets.

Snotting Hill level 294: Ugh, another uninspired “dig the boss out of the debris” challenge. After the first shot, half the flock is useless here.

Surprisingly, the rest of the Snotting Hill bosses aren’t too bad. For me it was one of the easier level sets.

Tomorrow, on to Fluttering Heights and Mount Evernest!

RedYoshi45
    @smwforever45

Like @rowdypup already said – 326 is terrible. And right now, I’m terribly stuck at that level. First there’s the four waves draining your bird count (sometimes I don’t even make it to the boss!), then the boss which takes 2-3 birds to finally get caught in the endless being-flung-around loop… and when you don’t have Terence in this moment you’re done.

EDIT: Cleared the level with tons of luck. I brought Red, Bomb and Terence into the boss room. Red blew the boss down to the bottom right, Bomb made him go right into the flower. He popped two balloons then fell down onto the middle structure. Fired Terence at the boss but he stayed at the same position unfortunately. Needed to watch the ad for an extra bird. Thankfully, another Terence. Any other bird and I would’ve definitely lost again. He knocked the boss and himself into the flower – Terence first, he flew over and Chef Pig followed a bit after. Just with such a time difference that Terence was spat out again just as Chef Pig came flying down. Direct hit and Terence knocked him all the way up to the cliff, where he miraculously rolled down (he could’ve gotten stuck up there – that would’ve been something for the Bad Luck topic certainly) to the right and into his certain death.
    Probably the unconventional way but it worked. I assume you’d have to knock the boss into the pit at the left, where a few balloons are which seemingly point into the pit (tip by Rovio?). But I never was able to do that.

RedYoshi45
    @smwforever45

I hated 334 too, actually. Unlike 326, the rooms before the boss room weren’t much of a problem – it was the boss itself. The room has a corner where Foreman Pig can easily get stuck (right next to the flower) and then you’re unable to get him out unless you place Silver or Chuck perfectly. Then, when he’s inside the flower, you have him bounce up and down infinitely. Either you clear off all the stuff to the right then knock him to the right while he’s in the air (I still have trouble hitting flying targets in the game) – or you use Silver to sky-uppercut him so he flies off to the top right (which is what I did to win). I didn’t like this boss overall, though.

CaptSternn
    @captsternn

Water levels. Phone is charging right now (been trying to get through new levels) so I don’t remember the specific name of the group or the levels, but I hated those boss levels. The ones like in today’s DC where I first have to knock him down to the water then use the water to eject him off the screen (remember, my birds are hydrophobic).

Second worst are the ones where the boss has to bounce around and die a death of a thousand cuts. But at least those don’t deal with water.

David Martin
    @david-martin

I stand in solidarity with you guys on the following terrible, horrible, no good, very bad boss levels:

Fluttering Heights level 326: The basic concept here is easy to grasp, but a real pain to execute. Ideally, you knock the boss down to the bottom flower on the right, he gets shot back up and over into the bottom flower on the left, and the two “play catch” and you have to knock him out of that loop with your second bird. In practice, there are way too many scenarios in which the boss gets stuck on the way down and it takes multiple birds to dig him out. Whether you’re actually meant to bust through where the “arrow” points and drop him off the screen is debatable; I feel like whenever I’ve defeated this boss, it’s just been by hitting him enough times as he bounces around to finally kill him off. Terence is invaluable here, but even with him handy, it’s far from a guaranteed win.

Fluttering Heights level 334: One of the absolute worst in terms of the clear gap between the developers’ apparent intent and what actually happens most of the time. The intent seems to be that you push the boss into the flower, and the same flower keeps spitting him straight up, then you have to knock him to the right while he’s in mid-air to get him off the screen. This was another one that I had an easier time with once I realized I could at least guarantee hitting him by firing a bird into the flower instead of aiming for a moving target. That’s still challenging, but it can produce some interesting results (I’ve used Bomb and Matilda’s egg to blow him off the top of the screen here). The big problem here is, once again, random pieces of debris that you have no control over. All it takes is one little misplaced qaure of wood to keep the boss tipped over and stuck in the depression just to the left of the flower, where you have to waste another bird to push him out (and sometimes even that doesn’t work). It’s another one of those things where what’s visually happening on screen doesn’t seem to agree with what the in-game physics determine are the boundaries between objects. As a result, the player can’t predict reasonable outcomes of their actions, and you get another maddening, luck-dependent, bird-wasting level.

Mount Evernest level 366: Don’t be fooled by the snow-covered facade. This level is pure hell, and my hatred for it burns with the fire of a thousand supernovas. And it’s all because of two strategically placed objects – a simple barrel and piece of wood blocking the path where the boss is supposed to slide down and on top of the stone “plug” that already takes at least two birds to explode from below. Unlike other levels where debris getting in the way seems to have been an unintended consequence of poor level design, this was obviously done deliberately just to mess with us. I wouldn’t mind it if not for the fact that merely getting to this screen is a soul-crushing slog through several of Evernest’s most bird-wasting rooms, and it takes one bird (two if you’re unlucky) to knock the boss from his perch up top. I’ve learned to save bomb for this one, fire him through the central crack, and if I do it just right, that’ll destroy the stray plank and detonate the “plug”. Since it’s tough to clear the preceding rooms without Bomb, this requires the patience of a saint. I was not thrilled to see this level in a recent DC, to say the least.

Mount Evernest level 374: Why does it seem like it’s the earliest bosses in most of the newer level sets that turn out to be the hardest? It would be one thing if this was due to the learning curve involved in learning the physics of new game elements, but these bosses are still way harder than the later ones after I’ve been back through the game a few times. This is another one where you can easily see what needs to be done (knock the boss down, then use the geyser to blow him far enough to the right that he slides up over the hill), but a small piece of errant debris or even an errant bird can kill the boss’s momentum and get him stuck where it’s extremely hard to get a bird in there at the right angle to replicate that initial push from the geyser. A lot of these bosses are inherently fun puzzles that I feel the developers overcomplicated simply by putting too much crap in the way. The rooms leading up to this are, just like 366, some of the toughest in the game when presented all in a row, so even getting a solid chance to really experiment with this one is rare.

Mount Evernest level 387: Oh goody, it’s the same basic problem presented in 374, with the added annoyance of pigs throwing snow and stopping you dead in your tracks! There’s a geyser in a fairly obvious spot that I failed to notice at first that admittedly makes this one easier, but it’s still one of those where you’re not likely to have enough birds left to deal with the boss once you get him down from the hard-to-reach spot he starts in. Notably, this is only a 4-room level, so it’s easier overall than the two I noted above, but that isn’t saying much.

I know some of you dislike 394 and 400 because the Boss bounces around a lot and barely gets hurt. The trick there is that you have all the time in the world to wait for him to get his health slowly shaved off by every little glance off of a solid wall, as long as you have another bird you haven’t fired yet. So I do usually pass these; it just eats up a lot of time waiting for something interesting to happen. Only occasionally does the boss come to rest in an annoying spot in these levels where I have to fire another bird to dump him back into the spin cycle (and in 394, after a while he eventually decides he can “ignore” the geyser and just sit there on the bottom waiting for you, which is an obvious bug). Boss levels that depend on flowers or trampolines for this sort of perpetual motion are much more irritating because the boss doesn’t get hurt at all and you have to fire at a moving target, whereas in Mount Evernest, you never want to waste your birds on a boss already in motion.

The water levels – which I’ll cover more in-depth soon – are almost uniformly irritating. Same old B.S. every time – knock the boss into the water, hope you can hit him at the exact right angle to get him out of the water, then there’s usually some sort of a wall or bridge to clear to get him off the edge of the waterfall. And it’s the longest world in the game, so this gets old fast.

RedYoshi45
    @smwforever45

There was this one water boss I found rather easy – was King Pig, I battled him in a DC once. The flowers around the water made it very easy because the flowers shot King Pig right to his death.

Another, involving Chef Pig, was impossible to clear for me.

Right now I’m stuck at Fluttering Heights, level 337… I’ll say more about bosses once I get there.

David Martin
    @david-martin

Ham Francisco level 414: This one was in a challenge just the other day. I felt like it hadn’t been too much trouble before but I just couldn’t get through it this time. No matter what I did the boss would always get stuck on the lower platform, often right at that “step” where the right part of the platform is raised. Having that happen once is a fluke; having it happen nearly every time once again points to (wait for it)… BAD LEVEL DESIGN!

Ham Francisco level 420: “What were they smoking?” seems like an appropriate question here, given the level number. Here you’re forced to make the sadistic choice between breaking parts of the stone structure so that the boss either falls to the left and ends up bouncing around in an infinite loop, or to the right and into a spot where it’s tough to hit him with any accuracy once you’ve already toppled the available structures above and still haven’t killed him off. That’s assuming you can break the stone walls to begin with – Red, Chuck, Blues, and Matilda are all useless here.

The other Ham Francisco bosses aren’t too bad – usually once you get the boss moving he’ll gradually bounce off of enough hard surfaces and knock down enough debris to commit slow suicide. This level set in general was one of the hardest for me to get through, though – fans and trampolines together just obliterate my confidence in my own ability to make anything close to an accurate shot.

David Martin
    @david-martin

Pig Bay level 446: The first of many tedious boss levels in this largely unpleasant level set. Knock the boss into the water. Push the boss back up out of the water. Either spend an extra bird to clear the structures on the right side first, or hope the boss breaks through them instead of just bouncing back into the water. The process takes three birds minimum. This is supposed to be one of the easier examples and it’s still hard.

Pig Bay level 460: This is basically a redo of 326, minus the two flowers playing catch, plus water. I know you’re supposed to push him down into the bottom right flower so he can be fired back up and into the water right below your slignshot, then you can push him to the right and down the waterfall. What almost always happens to me here is that the boss gets stuck on the middle platform on his way down or back up, and it’s almost impossible to push him clear of the structure on that platform without wasting a lot of birds, due to the balloons holding it in place. Occasionally I get lucky and the boss just topples off of that middle platform to the left and down the waterfall, but most of the time I lack the right birds to get him to move off of that platform in either direction.

Pig Bay level 466: Here you’re completely at the mercy of the boss’s momentum when he hits the water. If he hits the right side of the pool and floats back to the left, you’ve got an unwinnable scenario where diving into the water and hitting him from below just knocks him into the ceiling and back down. Plus you’re likely to knock stuff into the water that interferes with yuor birds’ ability to dive at the necessary angle. There are just too many contingencies to plan for here.

Pig Bay level 473: Another one that appeared in a recent Daily Challenge. Here the concept’s not too hard to grasp but the glass and balloons supporting the boss’s platform make it far too easy for your initial strategy to backfire and the boss to fall off to the left where you can’t get him out of the water at all. Even if you knock him off to the right, the pit you have to push him back up out of is so narrow that he often hits the wall and falls right back into the water. Getting him up onto the bridge above the waterfall is a huge pain, despite that flower being there to help you out.

Pig Bay level 480: Nothing new here, just a repetition of several of the annoying elements from previous bosses. By making this set 60 levels instead of the usual 40, they clearly had to pad out the boss screens by recycling the same basic ideas over and over.

Pig Bay level 486: This time the only added difficulty is that the boss’s initial platofmr is hard to reach with most birds. This just means you potentially have to waste more birds so you can get him into the water to start the usual process. No fun at all.

Pig Bay level 493: This one’s at least noticeably different, layout-wise, but clearing the balloon-supported structures and trying to get the Boss into the floer on the bottom left is a really tedious exercise. Then yuo have to hope you have the right birds to break the bridge above the waterfall, which ideally you’d do first, if not for all of the stuff in the way of getting there.

Pig Bay level 500: Again, too much stuff in the way of getting the boss where he neesd to go and too high a likelihood of him floating to a spot on the water where it’s really hard to get him back out. Then there’s the added complication of the water surface on the left getting flooded with debris once you break any of the structures there, rendering most of your birds useless if you end up needing to do another dive. This one was in a DC just a day or two ago, and I only passed it due to extreme good luck in the rooms leading up to it.

Wow, all but one of the Pig Bay bosses made my list. I’m not a huge fan of 453 either, but the flowers are a little more helpful there so it’s the easiest of the lot.

David Martin
    @david-martin

Gravity Grove level 506: What a disastrous puzzle to throw at people when they’re still getting the hang of the utterly baffling “localized gravity” of these levels. Just getting through the previous screens in this level was a gauntlet. First time I finally made it here, I had no idea what to do, all I had left was Red, and I fired him in what looked like the right general direction, got lucky, and managed to make the boss roll to the left, fall up into the gravity well and then roll off into the pit on the bottom left of the screen. I just stared in total disbelief, not understanding how I had actually managed to win this one. I’ve gone back through a few times, trying to beat this boss the “right” way by knocking him over to the right where it looks like he’s meant to meet his demise, but he always gets stuck somewhere and I never have enough birds to do it. The only times I’ve ever actually beaten this boss were an accidental repeat of my initial feat that caused him to tumble off to the left. I’m so confused!

Gravity Grove level 513: Oh goody, another infinite loop in which the boss doesn’t collide with anything solid and you have to hit a moving target. Now with altered gravity! No thank you. Firing Terence into the lower portal seems to be your best bet, as he “orbits” differently and will hit the trunk and bounce back before sliding into the portal, letting the boss “catch up” from behind him and take nominal damage as he collides with Terence, but even then you only get a few hits before Terence vanishes, and you have to hope that’s enough to knock the boss permanently off course.

Gravity Grove level 520: Another round of pure hellish nonsense where you’re punished for not having the right birds leftover by the time you reach the final screen. You need someone who can aim straight down, and even Matilda doesn’t really help you because she can break the platform right below the boss but she can’t do anything about the bridge awaiting him below the first portal. Silver or maybe Terence are your best bet here, and with Terence it’s extremely difficult to aim exactly right so that you bounce off of the floating structure above and fall down toward the boss, without being sucked into its reverse gravity. Even when you get the first few shots right and the boss ends up in the “box” on the upper right, there’s so little at your disposal in terms of rocks and other stuff to hurt the boss with, and even that only works well if you don’t end up with something wedged between the boss and the wall (otherwise stuff flies right over the boss’s head and is completely useless). Just about everything else on the screen looks to be a total red herring, only present to disrupt your ability to guide other birds where they need to go to get the boss out of a tight spot. Put this one on my all-time Top 5 Worst Bosses list.

Gravity Grove level 526: Yet another case where the apparent solution is straightforward, but the execution of it gets hung up on minute details of the level design that don’t seem to have been intentional. Much like 506, I’ve never defeated this boss in what appears to be the expected manner. I’ve either gotten lucky and had Terence bounce back after knocking him off his balloon, and it was a hard enough hit to send him off to the left where the slingshot is and off the screen, or else I’ve gotten him stuck right below the top portal and he’s released the two boulders that keep rolling to the left and getting stuck in a mini-loop due to the gravity well pulling them upward to graze the boss who is now stuck in a corner, rolling back down into normal gravity again, and repeating the process. Any slight variation on this scenario will get the boss stuck without anything to repeatedly hurt him, and then getting him out is a huge pain.

533 and 540 aren’t so bad. Once again, the last few bosses of a level set turn out to be way easier to defeat than the first several. The sorting order of difficulty in this game is just all out of whack. If any of the above bosses had been level 540, I’d still hate it, but I’d at least understand that this one was supposed to be a real pain.

David Martin
    @david-martin

Pig Apple level 546: Another infinite loop where the boss bounces back and forth between two trampolines and it’s extremely hard to get the timing right. Like the rest of the Pig Apple level set, it’s disappointing for adding absolutely nothing new or interesting to the established elements of the game.

Pig Apple level 553: This one is aesthetically very pleasing to look at, but apparently it was rushed through playtesting, because there are so many ways that the boss can stop rolling and/or get stuck somewhere on the bottom ramp after being blown back by the TNT exploding, that you’re unable to drop the rocks onto him from above like you’re clearly supposed to. So you’re stuck trying to jostle him out of place with other birds in a situation where you can’t even directly aim at him and you just have to hope the fans and trampolines cooperate.

Huh, turns out Pig Apple wasn’t so bad, just kinda boring. Once again they put the hardest bosses in the first few slots. This can’t be a coincidence.

I’ll do Hamalayas after they post the rest of the levels and I’ve fought my way through them.

Angry Beaver
    @sambeaver

#446: Shoot Silver over the tower and hit the boss straight to head, it falls into the water, then shoot Mathilda also over the tower and drop the egg to the boss’s head,
    then Bomb with high trajectory and Terence in the same way. Done
    However you need lot of luck having those birds in final room. I personally was successful in about 25th attempt.

David Martin
    @david-martin

Yeah, just having three birds left at all is hard enough on that level, let alone the exact right ones. I’m usually pretty good about saving up a particular bird when I know it’ll make a certain boss a lot easier, but that’s a luxury I can only afford when I have other useful birds to spare on the previous screens.

Angry Beaver
    @sambeaver

If talk about birds, Silver is best against bosses, straight hit with her usually decreases boss’s life about 50%.

David Martin
    @david-martin

Hamalayas level 586: Visually, this doesn’t look that hard. It’s even kinda fun when things go right, due to how easy it is to slightly bump a few bricks and create a slow slide of exploding doom for the Boss. But the joy of playing this screen is usually murdered by the complete failure of a bird to break through the wooden platform right below the slingshot, or enough of the stone platform blocking the TNT at the bottom.

Hamalayas level 593: Ugh, more “get the boss stuck in a corner with too much rubble to dig him out” nonsense. This time you can’t even aim at him properly when he’s stuck there due to how your birds interact with the ice.

Hamalayas level 613: The Magician Pigs aren’t even a problem here. Neither is all the glass. It’s the geysers not doing their freakin’ jobs. If the Boss doesn’t fall to the bottom of the screen with enough momentum, or if a single geyser in the chain doesn’t get popped open (which is usually up to nothing but chance), the boss will either get stuck at the bottom and require a bird to dig him out, only for him to likely fall back down there again, or else he’ll slide up around the loop so hard that he can actually end up to the left of your slingshot and be literally impossible to hit. Another almost fun level rendered un-fun by an apparent lack of thorough playtesting.

Hamalayas level 620: This one keeps popping up at the end of Daily Challenges for some reason. Even when I can properly set this up by clearing out the obstacles blocking the exit (which usually requires Terence or Bomb), I seem to foul up my attempts to actually get the boss up there. That flimsy-looking structure between you and him is surprisingly durable; the best bet is to pop the balloons underneath, but then you usually need another bird after that to move the boss. Last time I played this one I somehow ended up with Terence on top of the boss, on top of a geyser that wouldn’t break open. *double facepalm*

Madagooscar level 626: This one was deceptively easy when it popped up in a DC before the Madagooscar levels were offically released. Guess I got lucky and the boss was somehow prevented from ending up on the top platform where the slime dead-ends. He’s like a cat in a tree up there, and you’ve got no Fire Department to call. Thanks for making me hate my own area code, you jagweeds.

Madagooscar level 633: “Boss goes through the slime loop and gets stuck on a solid platform” is an annoyingly repetitive theme in Madagooscar. Here you would think you could easily dig him out after a Silver swoop takes out the TNT-laden structure right below you. But you would be wrong.

Madagooscar level 640: This time the annoying platform he gets stuck on is in the middle of the room! How’s that for variety?

Madagooscar level 646: I was stuck on this one for what felt like an eternity. It doesn’t help that the rooms leading up to it are some of the most punishing in the entire game. That jerkoff with the screwdriver really pours salt in the wound when the puzzle is already tough enough on its own. The first two times I played this one, he somehow managed to knock Matilda into her own egg.

Chefy
    @rhman

Worst bosses according to me are 90,200,220,240,286,294,307(new),326,334,366,414,466,513,520,540,600,613.

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum Worst Bosses in the Game

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.