What software is being used for making walkthrough videos. Can anyone post them?

Home Forums General Discussions Forum What software is being used for making walkthrough videos. Can anyone post them?

• I just acquired a boatload of seriously pro software and I was hoping I would be able to post a strategy vid from time to time here. Just wondering what those who already post videos are using and perhaps some thoughts about what works best.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Replies
  • Gelfling
    @gelfling

I asked @e-star a similar question. She said that she uses an iPad and so our software wasn’t compatible. But she might know more.

E-Star
    @e-star

@tomason33 As @Gelfling mentioned I only have my iPad setup for recording and only Apple devices in our house, so I can not help you with the PC set up. Sorry!

I think @dseufert started the forum thread

How to Make Videos of Your AB Strats to Share
    . But not sure if that will help.

Maybe on of the other @admins have experience with recording on the PC.

tomason
    @tomason33

Thanks for looking into it… I’m looking into the possibilities with Adobe’s newest “all you can eat” offering called “Creative Cloud” which includes some edgy video/sound editing software, so I’ll see if PC users can use that to real-time screen capture video … I’ll get back to you about what I find out. Thanks again, guys & gals!

Makin Bakin
    @dseufert

@gelfing and @tomason

@e-star
    and I are both iOS/Apple based. If you have questions how to make videos on iOS or Mac, then it’s fairly easy.

Even easier to make videos are PC-based applications that run in the background. That is, you “push” the record button, then play AB as usual. When you achieve the score you want to post on video, then stop recording. Edit as necessary, then save and post on the Nest.

There are many different on-screen video recording software out there for PC. Some, less reliable, are free- or share-ware. Others are paid. You probably won’t need to spend a small fortune on video screen-capture software. There may even be an add-on to Windows Media Player that will suffice.

To start, ask @sumikam @congo @xpogi @bobafett how they video-capture and edit on PC. Hope this info helps!

–MB

Makin Bakin
    @dseufert

@Gelfling and @tomason33
    See previous post in forum.

Kelani
    @kelani

@tomason33 There’s plenty of good, free PC screen/window/region recording software, but a lot of it doesn’t play well with AB, probably because of how the game really wants to pause when it loses focus or isn’t the topmost window.

Awhile back, I saw an admin say they used Screen Recorder. I assume it’s this:
    Rylstim Screen Recorder

It’s free and does work, but is barebones and only records fullscreen, which isn’t great for slower computers unless you reduce the frame rate, which makes videos jerky. Also, recording fullscreen makes for huge videos, so you’ll have to use a separate editor to resize and trim all the fat.

If you google free screen recorder. There are about 8 other free recorders that show up. I’d avoid the Apowersoft one. Judging by the reviews, it’s loaded with malware and annoying limitations.

tomason
    @tomason33

Thank You Kelani! That was extremely useful and helpful. I appreciate your timely and thorough reply because you just saved me as lot of grief. My computer is super fast and I have tinkered with it beefing speed and space so it really comes down to the editing software itaelf… I’ll look at what Adobe’s CC 2014 suite can manage first, as I’m fairly certain that will be studio quality stuff… the question again is do we need it to be that complicated for the sake of recording something like AB strategies, you know? I’ll be back when I have anything to report for our pc users who have an interest in this.

BobaFett
    @bobafett

I play on iOS/MacBook Air Safari Browser and for recording video i installed a free software i downloaded from http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/

For Mac user its easy to record just press Option + P to record or pause the video while you are on Full Screen Mode.

Kelani
    @kelani

@tomason33

I was in the middle of posting about Screencast-o-matic when I saw @bobafett ‘s post. The free version does have a small watermark, but so far it seems to work fine with AB. I like the ability to select a screen region, rather than recording an entire window or fullscreen. On my box, recording 20-30fps fullscreen AB doesn’t work well, and it’s just a lot of wasted video.

http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/

Now I just need to find a good editor that can crop.

Also, if you google screen recorders, rather than video recorders, you’ll find a completely different selection of programs that are streamlined and better suited to the task. S-O-M is one of those.

Les Toreadors
    @les-toreadors

I’ve been using fraps & Windows Movie Maker (various versions) since 2003. With multi-core processors and multiple hard drives it’s a jiffy to record just about anything with the current fraps versions.

While a lot of other PC recording programs cause severe framerate loss, fraps is easy to setup and abovementioned multiple hard drive setup means little in the way of framerate is lost.

The downside to fraps is of course, the resulting video files are uncompressed requiring enormous hard drive space (not really a problem these days with multi TB drives) and the shareware version has a rather cruel limit to recording time and the ever annoying watermark.

Kelani
    @kelani

FWIW, I eventually gave in and started using Bandicam: http://www.bandicam.com Like FRAPS, you can use it for free, but getting rid of the nags and the watermark will cost around $49.

What I like most about it is I can hit F12 to record, do an AB flinging attempt, then hit F12 and the recording and automatically saved. Hit reset on AB, F12, and I can go again. It’s pretty easy to record hundreds of attempts this way.

Depending on the screen size recorded, codec you use (I use XviD), and its quality setting, each 30 second attempt I record can be between 9-60MB.

For converting videos, removing sound and such, I use:
    VSDC Free Video Converter

For combining videos, trim/crop and general editing, I use:
    VSDC Free Video Editor

Both are completely free, and work fine, with no nags or watermarks. But their interfaces are a bit non-intuitive, and there is a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to do things.

Note: When installing either of these, use Custom installation, and be careful to deselect any options you’re given to add browser toolbars, change your search engine, etc. I think both installers have these things, but if you deselect all that stuff, it won’t install any annoying software.

Ian bell
    @ianbell

My Screen Recorder is a better screen recording software. It records your screen and audio from the speakers or your voice from the microphone – or both simultaneously. The recordings are clear and look great when played back on your PC or uploaded to YouTube. It will record directly to standard compressed format that works with any video editor or any tool, no conversion required.

Home Forums General Discussions Forum What software is being used for making walkthrough videos. Can anyone post them?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.