Is Angry Birds Space is finished?

Home Forums General Discussions Forum Is Angry Birds Space is finished?

• I know Rovio ended Star Wars I because of 2, and I was just wondering- is Space finished too or there are more levels coming soon?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Replies
  • MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@dvir971 — If there are no more Space episodes, there will be a lot of heartbroken AB Sp fanatics.

AMslimfordy
    @amslimfordy

Pretty sure there is more coming soon. Rovio hasn’t announced anything to the contrary.

burpie
    @burpie

The interest in AB Space is tailing off. Look at the stats on ABN: 1,905 of us entered scores for the first episode, down to just 335 for the most recent one. Based on these numbers, Rovio can’t be eager to invest a ton of time in the game anymore. And yet, some time seems called for. Right now we only have 253 levels and that’s less than any other AB game by a huge margin. An extra episode would bring the total up to about 288… the same ballpark as SW 1 (293 levels) and Rio (314). AB Original and Seasons both have over 400 levels! So I’d bet on one more episode, just to keep us happy. But not any time soon (not in the next 3 months).

@mvnla2
    heartbroken fanatics? Not me. After all the time I spent playing Space, long after HappyShake and Goavs4 quit the race, and after any hope of catching up with Rat became laughable, I’m done. Please ignore my quick return today for the extra puppy :-)

Les Toreadors
    @les-toreadors

@burpie sums it up correctly. AB:Space while technically very innovative, is not exactly the most popular topic out there and it’s not the fault of AB:Space.

Let’s take a look at space exploration in general these days. Are kids enthusiastic about space exploration these days, or are they more interested in their favorite pop idols and social media.

With the commercialization of spaceflight and not many manned space programs being planned or well publicized, ironically it is the Chinese and the Indians who get the limelight these days in their frankly very good progress in rocket, satellite and now Moon rover technology.

Like it or not, the topic of Space does not captivate people as powerfully as it did in the days of Apollo, or more recently (in the 80s and 90s) with the Space Shuttle being prominently featured in all sorts of media from Hollywood movies to kids’ cutlery sets. I ate from a plate that was shaped just like the Shuttle with the food in the payload bay. How awesome is that! But that’s retro, and kids these days don’t really care for such things anymore.

So letting Space slip is not that much of an issue when Rovio needs to cater to the likes of the majority of its fans, and deploy both next-gen festive content on a regular basis to keep everyone entertained. And here we see another problem of Space – what sort of festive content can appear in Space?

Most of the ‘fun stuff’ already went into the two Star Wars titles, leaving the relatively ‘boring’ subject of Mars Exploration in AB:Space. I love the Curiosity Rover and its awesome new powered re-entry concept and have built dozens of replicas of it in Bad Piggies, but for anyone who is not a space nerd… they won’t devote much time to the subject.

Ironically, AB:Space ties in perfectly well with Bad Piggies for obvious reasons. It’s the perfect backyard bottle rocket simulator :)

Still I don’t think AB: Space is ‘dead’. Let’s not be too cruel. NASA and other international space agencies need time, and lots of it to get their next-gen space systems developed and ready for the next big thing.

But a lot of the current projects like Orion are literally, reinventing the wheel and not giving the public anything revolutionary to observe. The Orion looks like an upsized modernized Apollo re-entry capsule, and all the cool toys like rockets and big hypersonic spaceplanes have already been shelved a long time ago… for good reason. Look at today’s economy. It can’t support mega projects or “Star Wars” technology unless the economy gets its act together (and stops wasting money on unnecessary weapons… but that’s another subject :) )

So the conclusion is, I don’t think there is a need to ask for more Space development right now. AB: Space caters to a comfortable little niche market with its own unique physics and bird powers. It stands on its own. It may not be popular now, but nothing is stopping Rovio from surprising us with a new episode in future, just like they did with the other feature product, AB: Rio.

Cheawn
    @cheawn

Since Angry Birds Space is not based on existing property, it can go on forever, unlike Angry Birds Rio, which will end eventually. Therefore, Rovio can and most likely will continue it due to the extra revenue given by new buyers.

Home Forums General Discussions Forum Is Angry Birds Space is finished?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.