The Bloated Pig - A Place for Weary Flingers Page 1915
  • 159807 Comments
  • That a girl @jlz, I'll even join you! Cheers!
  • Hey everybody, just found out I got 40/45 on my Computing coursework, so that means I got an A* (equivalent of an A+ in America) :D Only person in the 2 classes to get one :D
  • @angermanagement congrats!!! Cheers! :) how have thing been going?
  • @AngerManagement -- Congrats on the A*! What was the missing 5 pts for?
    @Kimmiecv -- Don't feel bad, I've never heard of poppies for Veterans' Day before either. Also found out that the remembrance poppy is red, and I don't think CA poppies come in red. Guess I'lll have to change the color of my poppy as well as make it more visible.
  • Sorry to be such a popper @sunshine I've got very sporadic appointments today. Cheers indeed!! My step-dad makes awesome Irish coffee. Even though I don't like whisky I can't resist one of his :)
    @angermanagement Well done!! I've been thinking about you. Hope everything is going ok? :)
  • @Sunshine -- Beautiful song! Thanks for sharing.
  • @jlz have fun!!!
    @mvnla2 you're welcome! I just love it! I like your poppy as well. I have noticed that when Veterans are collect donation they hand out the red poppy...
  • Turns out there is a red CA poppy! So let's see if this one looks better.
  • @mvnla2 nice and bright!
  • Technically the remembrance poppy is not a CA poppy, but I'm fond of the CA version.
  • Congrats @angermanagement on your "A*"! Thanks for stopping by to tell us the great news.

Your Calif. Red Chief poppy is very bright and pretty, @mvnla2! When I lived in Vista, I had these in my garden, with other colors that were blue/white and yellow. They were so easy to grow, self-seeding and drought tolerant. I'm planning on planting some next spring, just haven't figured out where yet.

Don't know where you live @sunshine, but SOA is aired on Tuesday nights here in Calif. I haven't watched this week's episode yet, and plan to catch up this weekend on a few other shows I've recorded as well. Last week was definitely a shocker! I tell ya, that Tara is one smart cookie!

Well, it's time to get some errands done, and it looks like a beautiful sunny day in the low 80's!

Good luck @all, and Happy Flinging!
  • @sweetp I'm in Ohio, and record our shows, but it was the newest show.....don't want to spoil anything for our friends!! ;)
  • @mvnla Just a quick note on poppies: I know you love Monet so his Poppy Field picture will be familiar to you - these wild poppies are the ones that grew on the battlefields after WW1. Different from Californian poppies which I have lots of, wow, how they seed themselves! Before weedkillers were extensively used on crops, the red poppies and blue cornflowers were a lovely sight in the fields. .
    'night @all, forgive brevity, back 2moro
  • @TomPuss -- Monet seems to have painted as many poppy fields as water lilies (well, not really, but a lot). Maybe the use of weedkillers explains why, when I was looking for Flanders' Field this morning, none of the pics had many, if any, poppies.
  • Ok I can't keep up with @KimmieCV and @JlZ666 haha so not even going there
    But.... ..KIMMIE !! The poppy is Your State Flower !!! And you did not know the connection! !@
    Oohh brother. . Iol.. and it's a Boston Creme Donut ;)
    Can't believe jlz called you a donut hahahaha!!!!
    Thanks again @Sweetp for the info. Very interesting ;)
  • Congratulations @AngerManagement :) that's awesome. Great work:)
  • @mvnla2 I like your poppy. Much brighter nice pick:)
    OB I'll have a Pigkiller please; )
  • @mvnla, do you mean images of the Flanders Field American cemetery? Flanders Fields refers to the region of Flanders (the northern, Dutch speaking half of Belgium.) The battle that would inspire the poem actually took place about 20 miles to the west. And you can still find poppies in Flanders: http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail.aspx?articleid=BLDLA_20110816_002
  • Wow thanks @burpie ;) very interesting And I just learned my phone can translate from dutch to English swwseeeeet:)
  • @Kathy, I must try that trick :-)
  • @Burpie -- Thanks for the field of poppies! That is what I expected to inspire the poem, well what the author was thinking of before it was covered with dead bodies, etc. Your pic looks more like the Monet paintings @TomPuss referred to.
    I saw the pics of the Flanders Field American cemetery, which had almost no red poppies. I spent a small amount of time looking for pics of WW I sites, but still didn't see many poppies.
  • Anyway, I was just having a quick look before bedtime... it's 1 AM here. Goodnight all, and happy flinging!
    ---
    @mvnla2, I'm glad I could provide some evidence to the contrary then!
  • @Kathy -- Does your phone do it automatically? I was thinking of trying to get my computer to translate.
  • @mvnla2 a pop up came when I clicked on the link asking if I want to translate I just hit yes and it did right away.first time I ever saw it.I'm going to try it now on my tablet:)
  • I've been ok and my family is great too ;) The missing 5 marks are random, my teacher said a couple of days ago that he had marked them rather harshly, and he told me today that I had done really well and pointed out no flaws, so who knows maybe the mark will go up once marked by the professionals :) The poppy on remembrance day is because of a war field in France that was between Britain and Germany (not sure if America etc. were involved) and the fighting caused the poppy seeds in the grass to be sewed, so bright red poppies grew. Not sure if that same field is the current memorial field with all of the soldiers buried in it, but I do my part each year and wear a poppy for a week, donating 50p to the charity for veterans and war/soldiers in the war via my school :)
  • OB - I cannot stay or read back cos I'm all ready for my dream walk - but all drinks are on my tab today! Feeling so proud of my new badges! Thanks to all admins and to all patrons of the BP for your company! Will read back tomorrow as I plan to have a day in my rocker knitting more dusters! ( that's in between getting ready for five of the g kids arriving on Saturday! With any luck, if I don't get to tidy the place, their mothers will say nothing as they may think their children made the mess!)
  • Hee hee @ Mumsie have fun the gkids :-) than you for the drink ! and another Big CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
  • Hi @Angermanagement :) very well in either case:)
  • So we're are all switching or avatars to poppies for the s week will you join us?
  • Hmm did i not see it?
  • Oohhh @Sweetp lol you meant in real life. Lol
    Sorry @AngerManagement .. That's great that you wear one ;)
    I already get one, but must confess don't always wear it, usually pin it to my purse.
  • Avatar should be up in the next minutes, and that's a sign for me to visit the back of my eye-lids, night everyone. Oh, and be sure to read the message on the image of the avatar in my album @kathy and anyone who wants to pay their respects :) Night!
  • Wow 1,915 pages with 50 comments each page
  • I herdit thru da grape vine
  • Le question for the night: Are hashtags being overused? State your opinion
  • Welcome to the Bp @Whovian0 :) feel free to indulge from our menu found on page 1 and read how we came to be; )
    And yes I think #hashtags are overused lol
    Good night @AngerManagement sweet dreams; )
  • And nice avatar also @AngerManagement:)
  • *hangs note on my booth* 'GONE FLINGIN'
  • @all, Just looking at all the pretty flowers.
  • Hi @Whovian0 -- I have a feeling this isn't the first time you've been in the BP, so if so, welcome back. In any case, nice to see you again!
    @all -- I like all the poppies, but it sure is getting hard to recognize people! : D
    @SweetP -- Thanks for your most recent link. There's no better way to learn some history than when you bump into it in real life and realize you want to know more.
  • @angermanagement -- I LOVE your avatar!!! Did you make it yourself? Wish I had another nomination for the avatar contest.
    @rat -- Just took a tour of the avatars on my friends list and noticed that you have a different one for the main site. Gaah! I was beginning to think that maybe I could tell who was who, but now you spring 2 on us. Can't read what is on yours under Veterans' Day.
  • @Whovian0

Hashtags are useful, when used correctly, to garner some more web traffic. As you might be aware, small enthusiast sites normally have difficulty attracting any sort of organic traffic if they don't want to pay for advertising or to generate spam at larger community sites.

But properly managed hashtags can do the trick to get a small community in touch with the world on trending topics.

With the recent integration of hashtags into Facebook, this allows an even easier use of hashtags that can be automatically added to Twitter posts simultaneously.
  • I agree @mvnla2 hee hee hard to see who who but it's suck an Awesome thing; )
    PA Lovve it:)
    Hi @Les Toreadors ;) always matter of fact ..hee hee..
  • @mvnla2 you can read Pa avatar if you zoom in its pretty clear, unlike mine which is impossible to read. .but i like it anyhow
  • @Kathy, @mvnla2, My avatar says Veterans Day, Lest We Forget.
  • I can read it clearly @PA :)
Post in the New Forum!