The Bloated Pig - A Place for Weary Flingers Page 3096
  • 159739 Comments
  • Don't think I'll be handing out any Oscars for today's challenge. May slap someone in the face though.
  • I did warn you.
  • We haven’t heard from @kathy since mid-March here in the BP. Anyone hear how she’s doing? @gumby @karen68 @hunnybunny ?
  • @sweetp, I know you are very busy but @sparty83_2 is posting (presumably rounded) scores with multiple trophies and no proof in Han Em High. Also earlier episodes but with less success. I don't know whether this needs to cleaned up depending on what solution you admins guys come up with. In the meantime is it worth asking everyone somehow to hold fire on entering scores? I will withdraw my one new high score on PE 1-1
  • it's official no new leaderbords or walkthroughs
  • Not what @sweetp said yesterday on PE 1-1 @ixan57. Do you have an update on that?
  • @desperateDan info came from admin @bernersenn 13hrs ago
  • @desperatedan @ixan57

It's correct that we don't create new leaderboards and/or walkthroughs. The new levels are exactly the same as in the original version. Only (slight) difference that we noticed is that the old scores can be beaten pretty easy.
  • Ok, thanks @bernersenn. Sounds like the only thing that needs changing is the capability to enter scores not ending in zero. Is that a fair appraisal? As far as the levels being easier goes, it's very mixed. Some have become way harder (Orange Bird is a bit of a wimp). Remi is a bit crazy. And the pigs have got a dodgy timber supplier this time round. All good fun.
  • If there aren't any new walk through videos someone should tell comex. He's knocking them out like one of Santa's little elves.
  • I suspect he is a badger.
  • Sure he already has that badge @desperatedan. Not concerned about Sparty's scores have beaten his top scores already(not disparaging Sparty he's a much better flinger than that, he's obviously just rushing through beating old top score then moving on). Not bigging myself up either, it is what it is.
    I'm more bothered about @ixan57 's wider point ie Rovio's tendency to interfere with levels. It's not in their interests to toughen up the wood(why wood they?)... ahem... But they just can't help themselves. If I was a long term hoarder of scores(no names no pack drill) I' d get me some top scores, take a screenshot as insurance in case they do muck about. Going by past experience these scores will stand and if people miss out tough will be the cry.
  • Nothing to do about nothing. Except a struggling company once they floated on a stock market and greed set in they gave up their bread and butter. Now they are trying to claw back with the games they ditched and charge you for the same. Quick few bucks. The least they could have done would be to create new games based on the old format. I can see this as another flop for rovio as was said before by fans, why go through the same old game. Carrot: a few extra thousand points. Reward for rovio: easy money for little effort, just a few tweaks to the original game and also dump saved data to force you to play the new version.
  • You must tell us what you really think about Rovio sometime @ixan57.
  • @desperatedan
    @Birdleader is working on the scores not ending on 0 of 5. I will give a yell when it’s done
  • Turned my attention to Flock Favourites now @brianN. Just snuck past your score but I still have 25 levels to do so I am hoping to go as far into top 10 as I can. Won't be polluted by ABO Classic scores (yet).
  • Didn't know I had a top score in Flock Favourites must've got it during the challenge sometime. Speaking of which I think meanguy is safe, he must've used a cruise missile to clear up. Second spot might be up for grabs though.
  • Checking in from the lovely Penarth, with our 5g internet thingy ( @BrianN ) our wonderful walks around the Welsh coastal path, and hardly ever played ABO
    So little interest
    And MeanGuy plays on some weird platform that occasionally blows up everything for no reason, whatsoever! Don’t know why ABN let his scores stand…
    So not doing the challenge today
  • No top score @brianN, just a completed episode score which may be unique for you in ABO. You even described playing through it a few months ago.
  • I know the big sand dunes at Ogmore, @hunnybunny. Used to train there. So did Steve Ovett. You'll have heard of him. I once ran a race against Sebastian Coe. I'll let you guess who won.
  • Now now @hunnybunny, if meanguy targets Penarth with one of his cruise missiles you'll be in big trouble. If it was on the map that is.
  • Oh I see @desperatedan you're ahead of me on an episode that took me 2 weeks to compile scores on as opposed to the 100 years it's taken you?

Did put in scores for Red's Feathers, did a little better there. Top 15 I think. Working on Bad Piggies in among chasing scores on new version. See I need to give you something to think about...

I'm guessing Seb Coe won.
  • That was a no brainer…
  • My speciality @hunnybunny.

So @desperatedan I seem to remember you saying yonks ago that you were away in Europe back in the day representing GB at some sporting event. Can't recall the context of discussion and I don't think you mentioned which sport it was. In an unguarded uncharacteristic moment I may have sarcastically suggested international scrabble. However I now assume that it was athletics. You must've been at a good standard facing off against the Sebmeister. How did that come about?
  • The international standard sport was orienteering and I would have beaten Coe at that (and possibly Scrabble too). I ran against him in a big relay race in Hyde Park back in the day. He was Olympic champion at the time but I think someone did do a faster time if I remember correctly. But there was a kid at my school who did beat him in a school cross county race, and Steve Ovett too. He is the only British person to have beaten them both in the same race. Don't Google, just trust me.
  • Didn't the Jarrow Arrow beat them both in the World Championship one year? Not that I don't trust you of course. Have compass will travel.
  • Having fun beating all of @sparty83_2's high scores in Ham Em High. Except you have beaten already so probably not. One of them was a trophy I had held for just over 10 years so it's a bit personal! Mine and Dine has a few very vulnerable levels as well.
  • No, Coe, Ovett and Cram did all run together in Olympic 1500m final 1984 where Coe won. They also were all in the 1980 final before Cram was really world class. Not sure when else. Coe and Ovett only raced together 7 times. But even so, their rivalry in British sport has never been surpassed.
  • Athletics was never really my thing I just have a recollection of a British 1-2-3 with Cram winning. Suppose I could easily google it. May even have been Commonwealth Games England 1-2-3.Both rare in athletics seems like a strong memory, though obviously not that strong.
  • Yes I think Sparty missed a couple in HEH. Got a couple other HS apart from his.
  • The other person around at that time who could beat any of them was Peter Elliot. He was the hardest of the bunch and would have had world records if he had been around a few years earlier.
    Now...who is the hard man of Angry Birds flinging ( or woman)?
  • God, I hate Space!
    Cleared today’s Challenge, absolutely nothing left: 94k
    Uurgh…
  • I think @hunnybunny is pretty hard @desperatedan.

What did Chris Rock have on his face the morning after the Oscars?
    Fresh prints.
  • Do you feel sick of putting petrol in your car and paying through the odds? Insurance creeping up? Car tax beyond the pale making you queasy? You could be suffering from car owners virus.
  • Must admit haven't given the challenge much attention in last few days but saw your score today @catsnbirds. Nice one.
  • Thanks @briann Sure feels like an alternate universe to be above Asher and Sglouk!
  • Parts of Ham Em High are utter carnage in ABO Classic. Quite cathartic if that's what you are after. But an utter joke if Rovio claim the game is largely unaltered.
  • As you know @desperatedan I'm not big on posting scores, will probably wait till dust settles before considering Classic scores. Two things bug me :
    1. Level doesn't allow you to stay zoomed out which is my usual default position.
    2.Reverse Remi is almost unplayable.
  • I agree with all these points @brianN. I too am refraining from entering scores. It's taking an age to sort out. Have we heard from the good doctor yet? It seems generally very quiet on the Nest but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. I was wondering whether to adopt a second persona just for Classic purposes but not sure how to do it. Remi's behaviour will probably change some strategies considerably, not always for the worse, but he's just one crazy bird now. OB has lost his fizzle, worn out from BP duties no doubt.
  • Having played a fair bit of Classic now, I have come to the conclusion that I will not enter any Classic scores into the leaderboards. I will keep a separate personal record but the new game cannot be said to be comparable and entering new scores on some levels will be farcical. The only exception will be on Challenge levels but I will remove those scores afterwards. I guess not everyone will be so bothered but I prefer to keep my scores "pure".

Anyway, drinks on me as I have finally made Top Ten on ABO.
  • And relax...

Not seen much Classic chatter, surprisingly Dr Y hasn't been pinging off a few questions. Though I noticed Sparty posted on PE 1-1 "Is it ok to post scores from Classic on the leaderboard?"
    Bit late for that mate.
  • I see @steviep147 is entering a load of Classic scores now.
  • Noticed ABO is back working online. How long this time I wonder?
  • I promise I won't say the magic words. However have you noticed the Daily Challenge has been dealing almost exclusively with miracle one birders lately?
  • In The Dandy did Desperate Dan have a nemesis? (Although I recall you weren't allowed to read it as a child). Time for you to adopt his name as a nomme de plume and enter those evil Classic scores. Purity of essence will not win the day!
  • Yes the tumbleweed bugs me as well, though not as bad as the back spasms. Just got over covid and now this. Time for a gaaaaaaahhh!
  • The Dandy's nemesis was of course the Beano. News today Minnie the Minx has been incorporated into the Dundee V&A museum as a feminist icon... WALOOBS...
  • Thunderbirds also in the news today(nothing to do with PU's). Wonder what the V&A would make of Lady Penelope?
Post in the New Forum!