A nice surprise update this morning to see that Angry Birds v2.2.0 now includes the second chapter of Surf and Turf! The update has so far been released on iOS, PC, and Android via the Amazon Appstore and Google Play, with more platforms coming soon. These beach-themed levels are exactly what is needed if you are stuck working, but wanting to be on a nice tropical vacation. If you need help with any of these new levels be sure to check out our 3 star walkthrough videos.
Amazon Users: Many users are reporting that this update deletes their existing progress. Proceed with caution! and possibly turn off automatic updates for right now. Before updating be sure to backup your progress. For help with that you can check out our Ultimate Angry Birds backup tutorial (Android can be a bit trickier to backup, but it is doable). This is the second update to Amazon that features this tragic error, but Rovio has been informed of the issue.
Further Update: As of 9 August, it appears that Rovio and Amazon have solved this issue. We still encourage you to backup your data, just to be safe, but all seems to be well again.
Google Play Users: This update also features the addition of the Mighty Eagle. We have a separate post with all relevant information there.
New “King Pig” Level! (iPad only at this time)
If you go to the second page of the “Golden Eggs” screen, you will see a menacing, grinning King Pig.
(What is required to unlock the King Pig for iPad is still unclear. We initially suspect you must have all Golden Eggs, though this has not been confirmed yet.) Tapping on him will open up a random level with a random twist to completing the level. Note that there is no score logged, but some of the new styles are pretty fun. Also, there seems to be a couple bugs here in terms of the end of the level. Especially in the “King Pig” mode, the end of the level typically shows what I can only assume is a “Fail” screen, despite the system giving the option to end the level after clearing all eggs. While not necessarily all level types, here’s what we’ve seen so far:
- King Pig: Birds turn into Pigs! And vice-versa. You are given several pigs to fling from your slingshot, and your objective is to pop the eggs that are in the level. Note that different pigs have different abilities, just like the birds so. For example, Helmet Pigs act just like the Black birds. Some small pigs have jetpacks to emulate Yellow birds. The smallest pigs split/triple like Blue birds. Et cetera.
- Material Mix Up: Two materials have been swapped! The birds in the level remain the same, but two of the materials (wood, ice/glass, and stone) have been switched, completely changing the approach to the level.
- Bird Frenzy: Beat the level with unlimited birds! While it sounds easy enough, it is actually a little challenging. You only have 40 seconds, the bird choice is random, and you are not told what bird will be available next. For example, being given a bunch of Red birds to combat an all-ice level is extremely difficult.
- Total Destruction: Tap on the level to explode it! You have 10 seconds. Everywhere you tap creates a small explosion. This one is not nearly as challenging, in most cases.
Update: The following is per a DM with Rovio about the availability and unlockability of the King Pig Levels. We are asking them to continue investigating since we have had several reports that 3-stars may not be sufficient. We strongly suspect that you must 3-star all levels (up to and including Birdday Party) and collect-and-star all 27 Golden Eggs.
Just iPad versions. Can be unlocked with a tap of this toy: rov.io/kingpigtoy or with 3 stars on every level :)
Power Ups! (iOS and Google Play only at this time)
Let’s start this by saying that it is a complete surprise. Let us also establish that we would rather you post your personal opinions on the addition of power ups in this designated Forum post. This way, this post will remain as close to purely factual as possible.
Back to business. Yes, power ups have been added to the original Angry Birds app, just like in the Facebook version of the app. The four power ups are just like on Facebook: Super Seeds, King Sling, Sling Scope, and Birdquake. For a detailed outline of how these are used, check out the video at the top of the page, or our Power Ups explanation post which we posted back when the Facebook app was young.
A few notes about how power ups are used. You can only use up to two power ups per try at a level, and the two chosen would have to be distinct. At this time, there is no distinction on whether a score was achieved using power ups or without. You can earn some power ups in-game (the daily visit slot-machine is a neat feature), but in general they would need to be purchased. The pricing information is as follows:
- $1.99 for a bundle containing five uses of each of the four power ups.
- $3.99 for a bundle of 15 each.
- $9.99 for a bundle of 60 each.
- $19.99 for a bundle of 125 each.
- $0.99 for 10 uses of any individual power up.
- $1.99 for 30 uses of any individual power up.
- $4.99 for 80 uses of any individual power up.
- $9.99 for 180 uses of any individual power up.
- Surf & Turf 3 star walkthrough videos
- Enter your scores that were not obtained using power-ups on the Surf & Turf leaderboard (more on this below).
Please do not enter scores on the ABo leaderboard that were obtained using power-ups. One of the key issues is the game does not distinguish between scores obtained using power-ups and those without. Yesterday, we announced a new feature on the leaderboard that allows you to undo your score. This should help those who accidentally entered power-up scores, as they can now be reverted (this could be ones only record of their scores). We are working on additional enhancements and will announce those soon.
Angry Birds Free HD Update
If you go to the third page in the newest version (1.4.1) of Angry Birds Free HD, you will see the addition of the King Pig Levels! Everything said above about the King Pig levels applies equally here: HD only at this time, four styles of competition, levels chosen at random from the app, and you need 3 stars on all levels to unlock it. Nothing new to report otherwise, as the update is primarily behind-the-scenes updates, but this was a nice surprise to say the least.
Nonetheless, we hope you enjoy this update. We will be working on getting all of our goodies online as soon as we can. In the meantime, be sure to check out some screenshots of the new features!