In the wake of one of the biggest Angry Birds release days ever Rovio has one more surprise up there sleeve. In partnership with Wonderful Pistachios comes an brand new browser based mini-game titled, “Angry Birds Pistachios: The Hunt for the Golden Pistachio“. It’s optimized to run in Google Chrome, but will likely work in other modern non-mobile browsers as well. The direct link to the game is getcrackin.angrybirds.com.
I should add, most stories I’ve read covering this update state that this is the “first” Angry Birds brand mini-game. We all know that to be false, as Angry Birds Volcano was released a couple months back, which laid the ground work for Angry Birds Pistachios.
Our walkthrough videos are up, but we still need to obtain codes to unlock the other levels.
Here’s the lowdown on how Angry Birds Hunt for the Golden Pistachios works:
- Head on over to getcrackin.angrybirds.com to in Google Chrome or other modern browser (Chrome is ideal).
- The first two levels of the game are open to all players. No log-in is required. Once you get to Level 3 you can start winning prizes.
- The prize levels have randomly hidden Golden Pistachios. If you hit them you can enter to win prizes, which vary from free bags of pistachios all the way up to $25,000!
- When you register you get five free plays in the prize levels. For 15 more plays, you have to head out and buy special bags of Wonderful Pistachios to get your unique “Get Crackin’ code”.
- You can also earn extra plays by sharing your score on Facebook and Twitter.
Of course, this is the much-abbreviated details of the game, but to read (far) more, see the official rules. Here are the highlights:
- Promotion and prizes are only available to legal US residents 18 years of age and older
- The promotion runs throughout December.
- Get Crackin’ codes are available on specially marked 8, 10, and 16 oz. bags of Wonderful Pistachios
- Codes expire at 11:59pm EST on 31 December, after which time they are void and attempting to use them is considered tampering and disqualifies you from the contest.
You can also receive codes without purchase by following these directions:
Register for the Game, invite a friend to participate in the Game via Facebook (Note: Your friend must accept your invite in order for you to receive the free Code) or send the provided tweet regarding the Game. In all cases, invite/tweet should only be sent to individuals who are personally known to you, who are eligible to participate in the Promotion and who you believe would be interested in the Promotion and Sponsor’s Wonderful® Pistachios product.
How these codes actually work is still not crystal clear. They stated that the codes are “unique”, so it very possible that they are a one-time-use and, when you enter them online, any further attempt to use the code will fail. At this point, we just don’t know.