New League-style. How is everybody doing with it?

Home Forums Angry Birds Friends Forum New League-style. How is everybody doing with it?

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • Replies
  • mm
    @martin-mix-9

Vic, I agree that I don’t think many people are cheating. Honestly, I’d wager most, if not all, “cheats” are scams. That being said, unless a cheat allows you to create your own score or maybe allows you to build some sort of super destructive bird, people are still going to have to be good at the game. I’ve built up a couple hundred wingmen, quakes, potions, and super-slings. I’ve also bought the gold sling and the jungle sling so someone with infinite power ups doesn’t really have much of an advantage over me, I don’t think (other than getting those PUs for free). I assume no matter what the cheat, you’re still going to be limited to the birds you start with (if someone can sub in a bomb bird for a red bird, that would be a pretty big advantage to the cheat), no cheat will give unlimited birds (even if it gives unlimited PUs), and you’ll still be able to only use three PUs on a given level. I can imagine cheats that would allow you to blow up blocks on a touch screen by just touching them or would provide unlimited extra birds so you never use the birds you start with or that cause a constant quake or something weird like that, but I think you’d have to break Rovio’s server for that kind of stuff. Then again, I’m not well-versed on web apps so maybe not. Anyway, I agree the scores I’m aware of seem within the realm of possibility for fair players. I may not be getting them but occasionally I do (last week on the rock stack for instance, I think I got a pretty high score that I wouldn’t have believed if I hadn’t gotten it myself).
    Elle,
    Where did you hear ABF will no longer be available on PC? Do you mean outside of FB or in general it just won’t be able to be played on a PC?
    Thanks Nesters, this is a cool place and I’m still learning my way around (as evidenced by my stupid post about weekly scores, sorry about that), but everyone is so cool and nice.

mm
    @martin-mix-9

Thanks Elle! Yeah not easy to find so I’m glad you pointed me to it. It sounds like ABF will still work through FB as a FB app on PC, just that standalone versions of the AB games won’t be available for PC (and I share the pessimism about Mac as well). I don’t know how many people this will impact but I understand the frustration of the folks who played exclusively on PC and now won’t see future updates.
    Thanks again for the info!
    –mm

stosh
    @stosh

ABF is available on Android and may be the reason extra points were available on mobile devices in the first few weeks of the League Play. Nothing official from Rovio yet. Free versions of all AB titles are also available. I am not sure if I want Facbook on my phone though.

Jkhab69
    @jkhab69

I was doing fine, got first place in the last two leagues. this week not only am I not first place but I am 90,000, not 9000, but NINETY THOUSAND points out of first. Im guessing there are more glitches that favor certain platforms because i dont see any way to get another 90k. Looks like i’m done for the week.

elle
    @elle

I hear you, jkhab – this week I was demoted

to Bronze!!!! After being in first and second places for the first three weeks. I couldn’t get anywhere close to the top scores. I guess as PC users, we’re dispensable – well, it’s been a slice!
    burbman
    @burbman

Still trying to figure out this league system. Despite my less than stellar, non-power up play, I was promoted to Bronze this week. Is Bronze where the generally average, but regular participants are going to be bunched together? I never miss a week, but will settle for pretty much any three star score.

JunkenMetel
    @junkenmetel

Very interesting to read everyone’s reactions to the new leagues; thanks to everyone for sharing your opinions and experiences.

At first, I didn’t really pay any attention to the Leagues, because I’m an average player at best. But now that the leagues have been there a while, at least at the lower levels, things seem to have settled down a bit. It seems like you end up in the league group where you “belong” – with other players who are at roughly your skill level, and therefore fun to compete against.

Somehow – apparently miracles ARE possible – I managed to win first place in the Wood league last week! Yes I know…very low on the totem pole, but I was still quite proud of my achievement…not to mention stunned!

I’m still in the Wood level – there was some display about how many more “points” I needed to move up to the Stone league, along with a nice little progress bar. Except I had no idea what the heck it all meant. Well, probably because I haven’t bothered to read up about it. :)

Like some other members mentioned, I like having an expanded group to play against every week; it’s like a bonus challenge.

I do use power-ups sparingly. Once the ABN leader board for ABF allowed scores with PUs, my regular weekly tournament friends and I decided that PUs were “legal” in this situation, and we might as well play with our hoards after months and months of sending each other gifts, and accumulating points. I always play w/o PUs first, but there are some levels where I can’t get anywhere near a decent score without using them. Or even 3-star the level, sometimes.

Also as a few people mentioned, I went through my giant stock of PUs and points with alarming speed – but I think that had more to do with the difficulty level in some weeks recently. I won’t actually purchase PUs, so last week’s wins — in my own little group of friends, and in the league level — was a very welcome addition of points.

I don’t know about “cheaters” – there may indeed be some in the higher leagues, but at the level I play…if I can win the league level, then there is definitely no cheating going on. :)

Bottom line: I certainly understand why people have concerns, and the Leagues are probably going to be problematic for high-scorers and non-PU users. Me personally, I find it a surprisingly nice addition, and a way to maybe get some extra points. I suspect it’s most enjoyable for those of us who are only average players, as it gives us a shot at fame and glory – at least within whatever League we happen to play in.

Of course, the tournament scores of one’s own friends are kept separate, so anyone can just ignore the leagues if you don’t like them.

Regardless, I still rely on the ABN Walkthroughs and the generosity of ABN members who share strategies to get me through the levels every week! That will always be true; Leagues or not, it just wouldn’t be any fun playing every week without ABN. :)

Vic the Hun
    @vic-the-hun

Still not quite clear to me, either.

Last week I did not use power ups (we are speaking bronze league now), because there were only TWO players to be promoted to Silver, the first two of course, and I decided i wouldn’t be able to beat their scores even with costly PU-s, so I stayed in bronze.

No, the first FIVE will be promoted (as fourth, I have hopes:). Same league, different rules. How come?

Vic the Hun
    @vic-the-hun

Sorry, a typo. Now, instead of no in the last sentence.

walter white
    @walterwhite

tomason, i can’t really figure out how league section is assigned. i’ve made it to bronze league, but i was in one group and after i scored #1 in two tournaments, (without PUs btw) it switched me to a different set of players (with two days left to play) and now instead of 6 i’m 27!!! it doesn’t make any sense. i know you can get 100 league points for being in the top ten, that’s how i moved up wood/glass/stone/bronze, but once you get to bronze you can actually have points deducted so i’m at a loss. there’s not an FAQ page for levels as far as i can see.

JunkenMetel
    @junkenmetel

@walterwhite,@vic-the-hun: I just did a little poking around based on your comments, because the whole league ranking thing is a mystery to me, also. Looking at my “League Profile”, it shows that I’m in the Stone league, and my “League Rating” is 284.

It just dawned on me that the League Rating is probably cumulative, based on my overall history of league rankings each week. How exactly that is calculated, I don’t know. I think if we knew the algorithm for determining an individual player’s league rating each week, then it might make more sense.

The other thing that confused me is the progress bar at the bottom of your profile that tells you how close to the threshold you are for the next league. In my case, it shows a range between 200 and 300, with my current progress near 300. I thought that meant how many more points I needed to earn to get to the next league, but now I realize it means that I have to increase my League Rating from the current 284 to something over 300. Kind of obvious now…duh.

If our League Ratings are determined by some sort of cumulative rating, compared with every other player’s cumulative rating, that could explain the unexpected results we’re seeing.

Does that make sense? I’m just guessing here…

I absolutely agree with you @walterwhite that some sort of FAQ or at least some kind of outline of how league ratings are determined would make the Leagues much less confusing, and more people would enjoy them. Personally, I’d like to be able to see a history of my League Rating, with enough information to understand why my current rating is what it is. Maybe for each week it could show my ranking for that week’s tournament, my previous league rating, my new rating, and some kind of indication how I earned the rating change, although I don’t know what that would be.

But I do think one of the key concepts is that your League Rating is influenced by your League Ranking each week, but the Rating is based on more than just that week’s tournament results.

Sorry if this is already obvious to everyone else. Would love to know if any other members have insight into how the League Ratings are determined each week.

Maiasatara
    @maiasatara

Wow, @junkenmetal I’m shocked that yours was the last comment. In the last month and a half no documentation describing how one earns or loses ranking points. I wasn’t all that invested in my placement so as I advanced I assumed there were points awarded based on my placement that week but I didn’t calculate. Then I got DEMOTED out of Gold back to Silver. Wtf? So I played for two weeks before getting back to gold but noticed NO ONE got demoted from Silver back down to Bronze in that time. Then today, first day back in Gold and before there are even walkthroughs available in ABN, the bottom three in the league already have a red arrow. Curious, too, that I’m back up in time for a particularly difficult week. I would really appreciate knowing how these things are calculated so I’m not waiting for the E-Bay style last minute sniper at five minutes before deadline beating my score and getting me demoted again. (I went to bed on demotion week solidly in the middle so people trying to save themselves did just that right before the deadline.) At what point do league points get taken away? I assumed if I was earning coins then I must also be earning league advancement. Why would they award one and subtract another for the exact same weekly score/placement? The only benefit to keeping people in the dark is hoping it will drive those with a competitive nature to spend money on coins – which I will never do despite being EXTREMELY competitive thanks to decades as a musician. This “frustrate you into spending money to make it stop” should stay with King (candy crush, bubble witch) – Rovio is better than that. Or they should be!

Lamia
    @lamia

I am sick of diamond league…. top 10 are cheaters clearly… took two screenshots and gonna send to rovio for inspection. I play honestly and This cheaters totally damages my urge to play

Dixi 60
    @dixi-60

Keep alerting Rovio to the cheats and hacks!

If we all do it we’ll make a difference in the end. I write to Rovio from time to time and so far have had replies and assurances they are taking steps to make things good for regular and not so regular legit fair players.

They have an awesome idea which should pan out in a few days or sooner and make things better. Won’t say what it is – the hacks and cheaters don’t need to know!

Bill
    @dollarbill2208

Awww, come on! Don’t ruin my game. I like my free unlimited power ups! It’s the only way I’ll play any more. I already tried to play legit, and then they changed the game on me, and I had to start all over with my scores. At least with my way, I don’t have to worry about that crap.

stosh
    @stosh

@maiasatara Those red arrows are how YOU can go back down to the previous level if you finish that low. The green arrows at the top are how YOU can move up to the next level. finish in between and you remain in the same level. Track YOUR finish rank and YOUR
    accumulated points on your league page to track YOUR PROGRESS.

MJ
    @mjdur

They didn’t weed out the cheaters again in diamond league this week no more coins from me lol

MJ
    @mjdur

They didn’t weed out cheaters this week in diamond no more coins from me lol

MJ
    @mjdur

Yeah in diamond they don’t like to weed out the cheats why is that

mm
    @martin-mix-9

For what it’s worth, I agree totally. Right now, first place in level 1 (week of 2/23) in my diamond league is over 200k and the same guy has 132k on level 2. Unless he got on and took advantage of some screwed up points, I don’t know how he could have landed those points.

Bill
    @dollarbill2208

Martin, the scores you are referring to were obtained using the same techniques I use. It represents Total Destruction with no birds used.

Bill
    @dollarbill2208

by the way, I have 7 friends alone over 133k in level 2 this week

mm
    @martin-mix-9

Over 200k in level 1 and over 133k in level 2? Any chance you’d be willing to share how you got there? I’ve destroyed every object in level one and even if I used zero birds (assuming a birdquake destroyed everything in one pop) and I still think I’d be at about 195k.
    These scores are considerably (20k or so) better than the best scores posted here on the leaderboard and the total score is still about 80k better than the best combined score on here.

mm
    @martin-mix-9

Incidentally, the guy with those crazy scores is no longer on the League board in my league. I don’t know if he somehow zapped himself or was zapped or moved by Rovio.

Home Forums Angry Birds Friends Forum New League-style. How is everybody doing with it?

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.