Help with Arena teams?

Home Forums Angry Birds Epic Forum Help with Arena teams?

• I’ve been doing research but having trouble finding strong Arena teams.

I’ve been running Rainbird, Druid and Rogues with DoT but vs teams that have a power level that’s higher 100+ I get leveled.

Any suggestions?

Knight 7
    Guardian 7
    Samurai 8
    Pali 7
    Avenger 7
    Avenger –

Mage (Elite) 7
    Wizard 8
    Rainbird 8
    Wizard 5
    Thunderbird –
    Illusionist –

Cleric 7
    Druid 8
    Princess 7
    Bard 5
    Priestess 5
    Witch –

Pirate 7
    Cannoneer 7
    Berserker 7
    Capt’n 4
    Sea Dog 1
    Frost Savage –

Tricksters 7
    Rogues 7
    Marksmen 4
    Spies 7
    Treasure Hunters 4
    Skulkers –

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Replies
  • Pointless
    @pointless

It is an interesting, ongoing debate. What Level are you? Do you have Sets for your Birds? Do you have Sets for your Banner? Any Enchantments?
    Forgive me if you have already answered some of these questions elsewhere.

RedYoshi45
    @smwforever45

The setup you’re using is a great team in general. However, when using the Rainbird/Druid/Rogues combo (which we also call the Venomous team because it badly poisons the enemy), make sure to always direct your attacks on the banner! That’s what you need to defeat. The enemy birds are of less importance to you when you go Venomous. Plus Rainbird slowly does damage over time to them anyway.
    Also, always have a look at your enemy team before you start the battle! If you see Chuck with the Mana set equipped, DON’T use Venomous! Because with a 60% chance, the harmful effects will have NO effect (and even remove those you already inflicted)!

Now for some general tips.

You have Paladin – that’s great. Use him. He’s definitely a good class for the Arena. Samurai is playable too.

Wizard is Chuck’s most useful class for PvP. And Rainbird is a must for the Venomous team you’re already using.

People say the only useable class for Mathilda is Witch because of the massive healing she can do. However, Druid is part of the Venomous team, and I’ve had decent experiences with Princess and Bard, too.

Capt’n is a very good class for the Arena, Berserker can do Area-of-Effect (AoE) damage if you don’t have the Golden Chilli yet (which is a must-buy, not only for the Arena).
    It’s good you got Sea Dog! An excellent class for both Arena and PvE. Pretty much useless at mastery rank 1, though. Like with the other good classes, use them in easier PvE battles first to slowly rank them up.

Rogues, again, part of the Venomous team so A-OK. Spies is another good class for the Arena and for PvE, and Treasure Hunters can do quite good against other Venomous teams if you can predict who they’re going to attack next.

There’s more classes that can be used, but most of them only have niche uses or no use at all (e.g. Marksmen can work well together with Samurai and Cannoneer/Priestess, but only then…)

Generally, people prefer to use Red, Chuck and Blues/Bomb in the Arena. Mathilda isn’t so commonly seen, at least on my side, and most Mathildas I face are Witches.

My favourite non-Venomous arena teams right now are Paladin/Wizard/Capt’n, and Paladin/Wizard/Spies. Sometimes I play with Samurai instead of Paladin if the daily objectives tell me not to heal my birds or my banner. Being able to do damage against multiple enemies in one attack, and being able to heal your birds while attacking are two things that come quite handy. And as someone who likes to power through battles, these strategies are pretty much the only good ones for me.
    I’m not sure if I would have different strategies if I was in possession of Sea Dog or Witch. I’m still missing both classes so I don’t have all the options open yet. I am very, very glad I bought Paladin and the Golden Chilli, though.

PS. I use a few set items for the Arena. Red has the Dragon set equipped. Chuck’s got the Reset set. And for my banner I chose the Angry set and the Vengeful emblem. Good set items and the correct emblems are extremely important to win in the Arena too, keep that in mind!

@graugeist
    , @pointless, @datguygamer and many others can give you more tips for the Arena. I’m in the Silver league – they’re Diamond. ;)

RedYoshi45
    @smwforever45

@pointless
    He’s at level 50, has no complete sets for his birds. He said that in the Mastery thread; that’s all I know though.

GrauGeist
    @graugeist

As I play it (50/12 Diamond):

DOT Venomous is a bad strategy, only good against weak teams. DPS Aggro needs Valiant Banner to be fixed. Current balanced team works best, starting with the auto-includes:

Sweet Witch is clutch for defense and will prevent you from losing fights against tougher opponents.

Gladiator Sea Dog is similarly clutch for attack, and will flat out win games that you were otherwise losing.

That leaves the 3rd Bird.

Lighting Wizard has the best Rage effect with excellent overall damage. Chuck often clears the board when you go first, for a huge advantage in tempo.

Honorable mentions

Beep / Artillery Spies was good as part of an Aggro strategy, but feels obsolete now.

Dragon / Banner Breaker Samurai triggers the Set more often than Paladin, but doesn’t quite make the cut.

Mana Wizard is a good, situational player that passively auto-wins against Venomous and curse teams – good to have in your back pocket.

That isn’t to say you can’t / won’t win with other builds. For how I play, this is what works best for me. Hope this helps!

metztli013
    @metztli013

I used to use a venomous set up a lot, with Druid and Rogues, but used Paladin as my 3rd. I started using Witch though, because she’s awesome sauce, so now my favorite combo is Paladin, Witch, Rogues. I like that Rogues can still get some damage in even if he’s knocked out. Witch keeps the banner alive and does decent damage. And Paladin does his tanky healy stuff with decent damage.

Pointless
    @pointless

I see a lot of modified Venmous reappearing since the demise of Valiant, but I am not convinced. I second all that @smwforever45 and @graugeist have suggested, but Teams are really built around the Banner. Case in point, I am back to using Blessed and have reverted to Mana Shell for Wizard due to the added healing, and have *gasp* finally veered away from TJ and am now using Resurrect, simply due to its benefit with Blessed

GrauGeist
    @graugeist

Those semi-Venomous teams are easy to beat. I get scared against a strong Gladiator team, because a bad RNG can turn bad really fast.

Resurrect Blessed, Sweet Witch & Mana Wizard & Paladin, I assume?

Pointless
    @pointless

Close…I am using Capt’n/Scissors in lieu of Paladin as a Dispell component as the battles aren’t quite as quick without Valiant

GrauGeist
    @graugeist

That would an annoying team to come up against, but I don’t see it as a common opponent. I think your fights go slower than mine, but more consistent.

datguygamer
    @datguygamer

@joe-wolf

As @smwforever45 said, it’s basically about how you play. Since I pour shards into set items than most others do, I often switch between arena set items (except for Linked Set) according to players I encounter. I usually see what they are equipped with and then change my gear based on that to counter them.

Also, as far as normal classes are concerned, I use these:
    For Red: Samurai, Paladin, Avenger
    For Matilda: Witch, Bard, Druid
    For Chuck: Elite Mage, Wizard, Rainbird, Thunderbird
    For Bomb: Sea Dog, Berserker, Cannoneer, Capt’n
    For Blues: Treasure Hunters, Rogues, Tricksters, Spies

Note: I am at Mastery 12 for all classes but I am currently at Level 42. I usually keep myself from leveling up, but if you are at Level 50, then keep grinding for Mastery.

angryde
    @angryde

@joe-wolf I’m a ‘Venomous’ variation guy and I second @metztli013 @pointless and @graugeist comments. IMHO you need a super-enchanted, max-level ‘Blessed’ top/bottom to even keep-up at the highest level arena-wise. I’ve recently moved away from ‘pure Venomous’ Rainbird-Druid-Rogues to Wizard-Witch-Rogues… and I find that I’m playing both at about 50%/50% now, depending on my opponent’s line-up. @graugeist is totally correct, you CAN keep up and advance, as I do, with this approach, but it’s MUCH more time consuming than a 100% aggro strategy. If your ultimate goal is fast-clearances, and max- trophy gain in minimum time (at the diamond level) then start evolving a sound aggro team NOW… TRUST ME!

Joe Wolf
    @joe-wolf

@angryde

What is your suggestion for a strong aggro team?

metztli013
    @metztli013

@angryde Wizard-Witch-Rogues sounds nice =) I’d love to throw Wizard in the mix, I love him dearly too. But, I can’t get past my excessive need for a tank… it’s the oldskool RPG’er in me, I guess =P I’ve always been some form of physically weak blaster type, especially DoT stuff (hence my love of the Rogues).. so I like a big strong tank to hide behind =P I feel like my birds feel the same way lol. Yeahh…. I’m a nerd.

Pointless
    @pointless

@joe-wolf by definition, your Aggro (Power) Team should contain your strongest Birds, in either Health or Damage (ideally both). Looking at your current Mastery levels, the most common ones used are fairly weak, with the exception of Samurai. You probably want to use him, Spies and maybe Beserker until you get Wizard (I assume he is 5, your list contains a duplicate) and SeaDog up. Make those your priority right now if you want to field a competitive Power Team.

RedYoshi45
    @smwforever45

@pointless
    Random question… If you choose weaker classes your power rating goes down too since your attack and health go down.
    If you were to McCool your current strong opponent away wouldn’t you get a weaker team since you chose a weaker bird? Wouldn’t that allow him to choose Sea Dog over Berserker despite the huge mastery difference?

Pointless
    @pointless

You certainly might get weaker opponents, yet if your SeaDog is M1 in a Team of 7-8s, he will assuredly be the weak link

Jim151
    @jim151

OK. I officially abdicate any pretense of knowledge about how the arena works. I just went up against a team made up of Wizard with mana, Paladin with dragon, and Cleric with sweet. Banner was blessed with rage protection. My team was wizard with mana, witch with sweet, and cap’n with gladiator, banner with blessed and TJ. Both teams roughly equal in power. I’ve never lost so badly. I survived about 6 turns. When my banner finally fell, all enemy birds were at full strength, never once having been knocked out, and the banner about 80%. So I thought, “Wow, this is a hell of a team.” So I equipped my team identically. The next draw was a gimmie, 250 power points less, and not all with full sets. I figured it wasn’t going to be a fair test, but what the hell. I’ve only once lost as badly, that being the previous go.

Granted, I lost the toss both times, but still. I’ve never lost to a team so far below my power rating, and I rarely lose to a team approximately equal my rating.

I just don’t get it.

GrauGeist
    @graugeist

I’m assuming you got crushed by TJ in the first fight? That happens.

But you lost to the other, weaker team? That shouldn’t happen, even if they get the drop on you.

Strange.

Jim151
    @jim151

No. The other team had rage protection. I just could not deal any lasting damage. With the might from blessed, the healing from all three birds, and the healing shield buff from cleric, I couldn’t break throughout. That’s what made it an attractive team to try. And when I did, against a markedly inferior team, I got crushed. And the weaker team I lost to had something silly like protection from red or some such.

Pointless
    @pointless

Faced with Teams loaded with healing, hit the Banner and hit it hard. This makes the AI compensate with healing over and over again. Yes, this makes for a longer battle, but keeps your Birds up and able to mete out damage. Use the predictability of the AI to your advantage.

GrauGeist
    @graugeist

Oh, sorry, I misread which had TJ. Protection Red is annoying when it’s tied to something like EK, because it triggers far more than you’d expect, and he can take some big hits.

angryde
    @angryde

@joe-wolf People far more experienced than myself – with 100% aggro teams – have already made some excellent suggestions… I suggest you heed their advice. I’m more of an ‘expert’ on Venomous and Venomous-variations, at this stage. And that’s only through sheer force of necessity! :-P

Home Forums Angry Birds Epic Forum Help with Arena teams?

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.