Do you want to continue?

Home Forums General Discussions Forum Do you want to continue?

• As of today, Feb 12, 2018, I am replaying Mine & Dine in ABO.  Suddenly, if I do not finish a level, I am asked “Do you want to Continue?” and offered another bird.

I have not seen this before and assume it is like PUs and should NOT be used for high scores.  But wished to confirm as it would certainly allow for much higher scores.

Has anyone else seen this?  What are the rules?

All info appreciated.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Replies
  • SumoBro
    @sumobro

Here it is now.

The new ‘bugs’ update did more than fix bugs.  There are now different leaderboard skins that you can earn randomly (if these were added before this, pardon me).

cjcp
    @cjcp

Yes, that is what I am referring to.  I assume the ‘extra’ bird is not to be used on the traditional leader board.  Do you know if that is correct?

Or who might know?

karen68
    @karen68

@cjcp this is something for @admins to weigh in on.

Personally I agree with you, it is like a powerup & should not be used.

I wonder if it shows as a powerup score if it’s used?

Kathy
    @kathy

@cjcp @Karen68 I agree it shouldn’t be used, In Seasons when it pops up there’s a ‘no thanks’ option , then you fail the level. not being familiar with the ABO version ,I say it is a question for admins as Karen has said.

gumby
    @gumby

I haven’t updated and have not seen this personally, but I assume it comes up after you have used all of your birds and failed to complete the level. In which case for most levels you would not be having anywhere near a top score. Hopefully if used it would indicate that a Power Up was used for any score obtained with it thou.

ixan57
    @ixan57

Also the game is now known as ANGRY BIRDS CLASSIC

SweetP
    @sweetp

Hmm…I’ve never seen this before! I’ll have to consult with the rest of the @admins to see what they say. We may have to change the rules on proving scores, so that means we need to do some flinging to come up with a plan.

Hang tight, everyone. We’ll get this resolved soon!

Bird Leader
    @birdleader

Agree. Definitely not something that should be used for scores going into our leaderboards. Thanks @cjcp, @sweetp and everyone else who chimed in.

SweetP
    @sweetp

@birdleader, how do you think we should approach this dilemma? I am at a loss for ideas on how to prove scores without the extra bird. SQAWK!

cc: @karen68, @kathy, @hallieginsb, @sparty83

Kathy
    @kathy

@Sweetp it’s a tough one for sure!
    Hard to tell if the extra bird has been used because it’s not giving you an extra 10k, just an extra`chance to complete the level., right?
    so it shouldn’t be an issue because if you fail with the birds given, chances are your not going to get a higher score by using that extra bird, it will be very hard to distinguish on the board with no lightening bolt.
    I guess all we can do is put a BOLD(idk how to make bold) heading at the top of the board as with the No PU scores allowed. I think that most of us in the Nest have been here for the duration and recognize regular players, and can also recognize when a score is acheived using an advantage. yes sometimes we’ve been wrong, but most times the situation works out amicably.
    and i believe @bernersenn has determined there is no lightening bolt to indicate the extra bird was used.

sparty83
    @sparty83

@sweetp and @admins,
    I just played a level Poached Eggs 2-3. After I used all birds and completed the level I got the popup like above.
    Screen cap showing score of 91k – Screenshot_2018-02-20-18-23-28.png

I played the vid and was awarded another bird. I completed the level with out the extra so i was awarded 10k for having a bird left. On the tally screen where it showed my final score, it did NOT indicate a power up was used.
    Screen cap of tally score of 101k and no indication that an extra bird was used.

Screenshot_2018-02-20-18-24-27.png

Using a power up – new high score or not, will show a lightening bold indicating a power up was used.

It looks like Angry Birds Original will have to be removed from the challenge since there is no way to verify high scores now.

karen68
    @karen68

@sweetp @birdleader it’s unfortunate that it doesn’t show as a powerup.

I think we’ve been doing a pretty good job judging whether a top score is realistic or not. The leaderboards are still pretty well-policed by us diehard old-school flingers.
    We won’t catch all of them, but this is where knowing when a top score was entered would be useful since this was only introduced last week.

Kathy
    @kathy

yes good point @Karen68 , also i think it would be helpful for All members to have this feature to know when a score was entered, because we do have many other members who regularly help police the boards .

@sparty83
    I think it would be really sad to remove ABO or now as it’s called , thank you @Ixan57 for pointing that out, Angry Birds classic, to be removed from the daily challenge rotation. but i understand what your saying, it will be more difficult, but i think we’ll manage as Karen says, there’s alot of us ‘diehard Flingers’ who do a pretty good job at spotting phony scores.

sparty83
    @sparty83

@karen68, the problem I see, is in the example above, I intentionally played it bad hoping for the extra bird. I did not want to beat my high score. I think I could have used all birds and gotten around 109-110k, given the extra bird, I would have broken my high score and absolutely no indication that I used an extra bird.

Kathy
    @kathy

But i wonder @sparty83 if you had beaten the 119k shown as high score would it have showed as aPU? i know in doing seasons quests, if you get a lower score with a pu , than your ‘real’ high score, and then best that lower PU score but still not beat your ‘real high score’ it doesn’t show a lightning bolt but you get credit for the Quest.

karen68
    @karen68

@sparty83 I see your point. I was thinking more of top scores that are out of line.
    But with other scores you’re right, it would be impossible to tell.

Kathy
    @kathy

But @karen68 @sparty83 you need to fail the level before getting the extra bird, so in order to complete the level, you have to fling the extra bird, unless your buying time as in your example sparty, so you load up the extra bird and hope a pig rolls and dies you get 10k for the extra bird, but what are the chances that That will beat a high score? pretty slim i think, you’d have to come within 10k+of the existing high score, fail, get the extra bird option , load up the bird, and hope the level ends before you have to use the extra bird (else it would just fail) And hope to beat the existing high score!
    does that makes sense? kinda?
    and we don’t really Question any other scores but the top 2 or 3 at most right? we are just interested in protecting the Trophy and making sure the top score existing is acheiveable .

@sweetp
    @birdleader
    sorry i think we keep forgetting to include you guys 😮

sparty83
    @sparty83

@kathy, in my example i did not fail the level. The level was complete when the extra bird showed up.

HallieGinSB
    @hallieginsb

@karen68 @sparty83 @sweetp @birdleader

Another annoying ABO, now ABC, update with unintended consequences. I have not done any experimenting with the extra bird option, since I always reset immediately if my score is low or I don’t complete the level with the initial birds provided. My guess, however, in reading the above comments, is that Rovio added this as a tool to help new players who are having trouble completing a level or obtaining three stars. (Kind of like cigarette manufacturers adding a filter to cigarettes so that they are easier to get addicted to ;) ), and not as a tool like power ups to achieve a higher score.

Assuming that the option is available only when needed to complete or three star a level, I think the threat to the daily challenge is minimal. I would suggest in the short run we avoid levels where only one or two birds initially are provided, or where all birds provided have to be used to get a top score. Those would be the levels that, if an extra bird were used, might have the potential to earn a top score. Since the top scores for most levels are earned with an unused bird or birds at the end, I think those can safely be played without worrying about improper scores being entered. We can re-evaluate if we find out the threat to legitimate top scores is more than this.

HallieGinSB
    @hallieginsb

@karen68 @sparty83 @sweetp @birdleader

Aack! Now I have to eat crow. Been playing some ABC tonight. It seems like the extra bird offer is just coming up automatically about every 5 minutes or so. Playing a 4-bird Short Fuse level that I already had a good score 3 star score on, I cleared the level with 3 birds, and with the fourth unused bird I would have a higher score. Instead of going straight to the tally screen, I got the extra bird offer! Didn’t accept it as I wanted the legitimate higher score – so I don’t know if I had accepted if I would have had two unused birds. Now I don’t know what to do about the Challenge or the leaderboards. Sorry!

SweetP
    @sweetp

This is infuriating! I don’t know why Rovio has to change the original formats. It takes the real fun out of flinging, since I like to challenge my own scores from time to time.

I’d hate it if we have to take away the Daily Challenge. There must be a better way to legitimize scores! Still thinking…

Kathy
    @kathy

@Sweetp @Birdleader and everyone concerned, I say we leave it alone for now, Well, Make a heading In Bold telling Flingers NOT to enter scores using the extra bird. then just see if we run into issues. I believe most who compete in the daily challenge are ‘ regular old time honest Flingers’ and are honestly just Flinging to improve. If and When we come across a questionable score we will handle per usual, if it becomes too much of an issue we will revisit.

karen68
    @karen68

I agree with @kathy. The challenge players are mostly old-timers who are trustworthy.
    Definitely add it to the top disclaimer on the leaderboards & challenge page, and if a score seems suspicious we deal with it then.

SweetP
    @sweetp

Thanks @karen68, we’ll see how it goes and hope for the best.

@birdleader
    , could you please add a disclaimer to the leaderboards? I’ll add one on the challenge page and FAQ. Thank you.

cc: @admins, @hallieginsb, @kathy, @karen68, @sparty83

Home Forums General Discussions Forum Do you want to continue?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.