New Arena: problems and suggestions for fixing

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum New Arena: problems and suggestions for fixing

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 204 total)
  • Replies
  • E-Star
    @e-star

@mvnla2 answer to your question about the links turning into pictures… The reason it turns into a picture is because you aren’t using any code, but just the url. This is automatically turned into a picture link by the script. No idea why though, but it just does. Maybe @birdleader knows why ;)

To make it into a text link you need to use the code and a word to link it to. I have edit your post, so now the links should be text links. You know where to find me should you have any more questions :)

Circlerev
    @circlerev

@clovos
    Now I can understand better how the new Arena works. I also agree that the old arena was the weakest point in AB2.

So, there are still many things that need some improvements. I would suggest more balanced matchmaking. I wonder how the star rank will affect this?

Many opponents are so tough to defeat sometimes. Well, I am not perfect player. But watching Angry Birds Toons episodes helps me to cheer up if I fail. :-)

epicbird
    @filipersr

@clovos I’d like to know why Angry Birds 2 China Version have 440 levels already and the international version have 400 now. Why does she have that advantage ?

bobz
    @bobz

I don’t like the new arena and will stop playing it. Thanks for nothing.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@clovos — Since a lot of us think the arena is now pay to win, I did some investigation, and I think our opinion is really correct. The data I collected demonstrates that your opinion that the arena is not pay to win is generally incorrect. You’ve said that you don’t think people who always use 5 spells, which equates to pay to play (and win), doesn’t really give them an advantage in winning in the arena.
    My investigation shows that using spells in the arena does help your score because there are an unlimited number of rooms. In regular levels, because the number of rooms is limited, it does not help increase your score.
    I ran two arena battles using several spells each time. In all cases, except the snow flake, I was able to clear the room only using one spell. I didn’t get that high a score for clearing the room, because of the fact that spells do not have a multiplayer for the score, However I got ~100,000 pts. that I wouldn’t have gotten without the spell. So if you use 4 spells (all except snowflake), you should get about 400,000 more pts. than someone who does not use spells.
    The result is different for the regular levels now that multipliers have been introduced into the scoring system. If you use a spell and clear a room, you might only get 100,000 pts., while you might get several 100K to 1M if you cleared the room using a single bird. Since there are a limited number of rooms, using spells in regular levels does not help your score, although it can help you clear rooms.
    For the record, I have 24 stars, and all my birds are level 6.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@clovos — Here is my current list of changes that are needed for the arena:
    * Opponents should be playing the same series of rooms that you are.
    * There needs to be a way to figure out easily how many birds your opponent has left and how many rooms they have cleared.
    * The opponents score should reflect completion of the same room as you have cleared, or alternatively, flinging the same number of birds/cards. If you know how many cards your opponent has left and how many rooms they have cleared, you will have a much better idea of how you are doing.
    * Record new rounds for opponents every day. That way at least some of the pay to win players will run out of spells, just like the rest of us do.
    * The arena competition should last only one or two days.
    * The prizes should be bumped up considerably, and should extend further down the leaderboard
    * There needs to be some way to get a significant number of feathers. You have removed the one of the best sure ways to get feathers (the arena) and replaced it with prizes that will hardly buy a spell, let alone a chance to get feathers, and it is only a chance.
    Suggestions:
    * There should be some way to reject opponents you feel are over-powered, as there is in AB Epic.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@clovos @all — I will be lurking, not playing, the arena until changes are made to make it worth my time. By lurking I mean that I may play it occasionally to see how things are going, or maybe to get my daily reward, but I won’t spend time trying to win or advance.
    I sat out the first (or was it 2) seasons of the Epic Arena because there were too many cheaters. At the start of a season it was best to wait a couple of weeks to let all the super-aggressive, pay to win types clear the first couple of levels. Maybe this will happen with the AB2 Arena.

Aeshna
    @aeshna

After winning 2 games in the arena out of 10 games today, I too have decided to stop playing in there.

I possibly could have won another 6 by purchasing cards before hand as I lost by very small margins, but I know I haven’t turned into a ‘bad’ player in the last week and that the game now favours my opponents throws.

Today I watched a pig in a bucket drop the full width of my screen (top to bottom) and not burst! It was then blown up a slope by an ice geyser, still didn’t burst, then slid down again and then pushed back up…then down… Then up… Then down…..

I have worked hard to obtain my league status (lvl25), but currently the standing is worthless when I can not beat level 8 players when they use an extra five cards.

Maiasatara
    @maiasatara

I’ve come to this forum SPITTING FIRE after playing this new bullsh*t Arena. There is NO WAY that all of a sudden people who only scored 40,000 points higher than I are now scoring more than 1,000,000 points higher EVERY SINGLE TIME? Are you this desperate for money that your talking in circles about more birds to your opponent on and cards back in your hand later to get us to spend money to play more frequently with more spells because you’ve got IMPOSSIBLE SCORES RECORDED and you throw them at us until we want to literally punch someone? I’m on the verge of ripping every reference to Angry Birds games from my entire existence if this is how things are going to go. I regularly score well in the Arena. Some days were better than others but I accepted that because the other scores I saw seemed reasonable to attain. When two people throw a bird at the exact same structure and I clear 90% of that structure and score 250,000 there is NO WAY IN THE UNIVERSE my opponent can earn 750,000 just by clearing 10% more wood and stone. And no way they should get three cards for clearing one screen. I played 8 games in a row and lost 2 by more than double my score, lost 1 by a million, lost 2 by under 100, won 1 by 50 and another by 500,000. For the months up until today, it was rare that the maximum difference between myself and everyone else in a Gold League Room was about 150,000. And I’ve EARNED every feather point by playing every day. I’m Gold with two into Azure. And now you’re threatening to TAKE THEM AWAY????? When until today the only direction was UP???? And a video playing after EVERY level? Come ON. I never thought I would see the day that I would hate Angry Birds. The Arena has done it.

James Peden
    @james-peden

I agree %100 I have been grinding away for months to level up my birds to emerald level and earn a nice supply of spells. And I can’t even get into the emerald league because every week the top 3 people have had 400+stars. Every time I play and I am level 19 I am getting someone level 25 to 27 using 5 spell cards it’s not fun. It’s a cash grab. I have had to use up my stockpile of spells just to not go down to gold level.As far as the premium treasure chest that you can purchase a whole wild 1 by winning a week long tournament just to get 40 gems worth of spells for 80 gems with a small chance to get a whole wild 100 feathers.I think is time for me to move on. Many I will check back if and when you decide to make the game fun again.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@Clovos @all — I brought Peter Vesterbacka into the loop via Twitter. For those that don’t know, Peter is Rovio’s Mighty Eagle.

@MVNLA
    Jan 02
    @pvesterbacka Happy New Year! Sorry to bother, you, but you should read this:
    [Link to this thread]
    AB2 Arena causes people to quit.

Peter Vesterbacka
    @pvesterbacka
    Jan 02

@MVNLA
    @angrybirdsnest I read it, good feedback, I’m sure we’ll improve things as soon as people get back from holidays

AndalayBay
    @andalaybay

@clovos
    — Here is my current list of changes that are needed for the arena:
    * Opponents should be playing the same series of rooms that you are.
    * There needs to be a way to figure out easily how many birds your opponent has left and how many rooms they have cleared.
    * The opponents score should reflect completion of the same room as you have cleared, or alternatively, flinging the same number of birds/cards. If you know how many cards your opponent has left and how many rooms they have cleared, you will have a much better idea of how you are doing.
    * Record new rounds for opponents every day. That way at least some of the pay to win players will run out of spells, just like the rest of us do.
    * The arena competition should last only one or two days.
    * The prizes should be bumped up considerably, and should extend further down the leaderboard
    * There needs to be some way to get a significant number of feathers. You have removed the one of the best sure ways to get feathers (the arena) and replaced it with prizes that will hardly buy a spell, let alone a chance to get feathers, and it is only a chance.
    Suggestions:
    * There should be some way to reject opponents you feel are over-powered, as there is in AB Epic.

@mvnla2
    , I agree 100%. I’m still playing at the moment, but will stop when it gets tedious again. I miss the days where you could buy the game up front and not have any ads or in-game purchases.

tinostar11
    @tinostar11

View post on imgur.com

Just trying to figure out this player on my Leaderboard.
    How do they have 4 Gold Ribbons if the new Arena is only on its 3rd week.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@mighty-red-1 — Does anyone know what a higher star rank does for you?
    Mighty-Red — I’m particularly interested in how you’re doing in the new arena. I don’t think you use spells on regular levels, so you could have quite a few. Are you using them in the arena? Are you still in diamond league?

Mighty Red
    @mighty-red-1

@mvnla2 I’m still in Diamond league in the Arena and so far one or two battles per day are enough to maintain a spot above the bottom 3. I have dozens of spells, but I don’t use them neither in the campaign, nor in the Arena, regardless of whether the opponent is using them or not. Besides, those spells are useless as far as points concerned since they don’t have any score multipliers unlike my birds each of who multiply scores by 8.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@mighty-red-1 — Thanks for reply.
    You didn’t say if you understood what the star rank was good for.
    Turns out that selecting spells in the arena does help because they give you an extra card, but less and less as your birds get to higher rank (see my first post on this page). Being given spells can actually hurt both in the arena and in regular levels, since the spells you are given replace a card. Thus the spell replaces a bird with a multiplier with a spell without.

dmsral
    @dmsral

I dropped back to the Vanilla league for the 2nd tournament but I’m back to Diamond for the new one. Strange.

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@dmsral @karrie-esbenshade-harper — For several days last week, my leaderboard showed Vanilla league, but when I clicked on my avatar, it said Emerald. Right now the arena shows Emerald again.

Mighty Red
    @mighty-red-1

@mvnla2 The star rank is good for acquiring feathers and gems because each rank up gives a reward. I’ve read that every 5th rank up gives greater rewards than the other rank ups. You can constantly increase your star rank since the stars are acquired by completing campaign levels and defeating opponents in the Arena, but the star requirements grow larger every time you rank up.
    In my case, ranking up isn’t beneficial – my birds are maxed out on feathers and I have over 7K gems (and the amount grows every day).

Brandon Davis
    @brandon-davis

As the winner of the Azure tournament that ended yesterday, I have to admit I spent almost $30 to do so and create such a gain on everyone else. The secret is having A BUNCH of gems and just keep paying 12 gems at a time to keep playing. That, and devoting time to it. Luckily I can play a lot at work, home, etc.

This is a major problem as the game CLEARLY is currently pay to win, which I understand the game/company needs money sure, but this all needs to be better balanced.

Also, I rarely used spells to those who think they are so advantageous.

James Peden
    @james-peden

Thanks, for the example $30 to win 1 tournament so to advance to the diamond league that would cost $90 which is ridiculous, as $70 or less in can buy any game for ps4 or xbox1. And let’s face it angry birds 2 is garbage compared to destiny or halo etc. They should go back to buy the game outright even if they charged $20 4 times the cost of the original they would get and keep so many more players. I believe that they would make more money that way as so many more people would be playing that there advertising income would go up and stop gouging the small group of their biggest fans.

Brandon Davis
    @brandon-davis

Love me some Halo lol

@circlerev
    Yes maybe the star rank should have some type of affection in the matchmaking but the bird levels are the most fair way to use at the moment. if the total bird levels are equal or close to each other, then both players have the same or nearly the same score multipliers when they play their session.

Haha yeah I love the Toons. I’m very happy that I’m not alone doing that!

@filipersr

This is because the China version have a different dev team. The Angry Birds 2 China version are more fitted for the China market and therefore are a separate game.

@bobz

Fair enough! Thanks for stopping by at least :P

@mvnla2

Disusing how much the spells affects the score seems like a hot topic. Few people don’t see it as a heavy pay-to-win feature and some does. What we can agree on is that it does not give you a guarantied win. Playing against someone with all spells selected does not mean you will lose.
    I’ve presented my thoughts on the subject. I will present all the different opinions about the spells in the arena to my colleagues.

Thanks for the list, I will copy it to my notebook!

@tinostar11

It’s because the user is a developer probably. I’ve got 4 medals myself on my account. We have had tournaments running in the office to try it out. It might even be my boss! Please try to beat him :-D

@mighty-red-1
    @mvnla2
    The star rank does only unlock the Arena & tournament features at the moment. You do get rewards for leveling up.
    However, the star rank is a good way to introduce a lot of cool “Level requiring” features in the future. Lets see what future updates unfold!

@dmsral

That sounds like a bug of some sort. If so, it is probably already known by our QA and is being fixed. Those types of bugs are usually easy to recognize by our QA team.

@mighty-red-1

I’m really impressed by your Nest! Your name lives up to your actions :-)

@brandon-davis

I managed to get second place with only spending around 80-90 gems and using only my free entry very three hours and sometimes watching an ad when I felt that I had the time! Same league!

Anonymous

Strangely I just came across a fairly new player (Red #50000+) as an opponent in the arena that for some reason didn’t have any birds. His score remained 0 the entire time :D. Even though he had no birds it still showed a deck of cards during the match O.o. Welp, 10 free stars for me!

MVNLA2
    @mvnla2

@Partshade — Boy, would I love to meet that opponent!

@clovos
    — How many of the arena opponents are developers? Does your comment mean that you personally are competing with the rest of us? Who are you on AB2?
    There should not be any that the rest of us meet. I assume that developers have unlimited free gems and unlimited spells. Not exactly a level playing field with the rest of us.
    How about playing AB2 as a real person who has to earn gems and spells.

Home Forums Angry Birds 2 Forum New Arena: problems and suggestions for fixing

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 204 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.