Seniors on Angry Birds Nest Page 2
  • 1086 Comments
  • there many teens here
  • 40 is senior!!! Oh, my! ROFL!!

still chuckling.... the curmudgeon

• Woohoo! Finally got above average scores at all levels (for the Mac) for AB and AB Space! Now, is it sadder that /i had a goal of 'above average' or that I'm so happy about getting there? :) 52 year old AB obsessed
  • Well, you can lump me in with @wanda and @sparty83, as being 47, with 48 looming on the horizon. And @cosmo2503 - while he (or she) hasn't specifically said so I'm willing to bet that "sparty83" derives from a high scool mascot, and a graduation year. That is also my graduation year, so it kinda stands out for me. I could have done something similar and been "SJBBraves83." (And I might just keep that in mind for a other website handle if I need one!). So I'm not old, Ijust feel that way sometimes, especially after a 600 mile run in one day!!
  • "I was in HS when JFK was in Dallas."

Afraid I've got you beat, Twylatime, I was in the hospital having a baby when this happened and this was after I graduated from college.
  • @Barbbjb -- Whoot! You may be the oldest who's willing to give a clue as to their age! WTG!
  • HAHAHA! I know. That's OK, I sure don't feel it, and adore AB, and so far have gotten 3 stars on all levels opened to us.
  • Hi - I'm 61 and love all computer games! My children bought me a gameboy 'cos I kept borrowing theirs! The I bought myself a DS then a Wii which I love but have abandoned recently since I bought my iPad and started playing AB!
  • OK - are you old enough to remember my username? If you don't know what I'm talking about just never you mind!
  • @78prm -- Of course! We've got tons of records, and lots of 78s. I'm not sure that makes you very old.
  • But did you get them when they first came out? :-)

(Ok, I'm 60).

Love me some Angry Birds tho!
  • @78rpm -- Yes "we" still have a couple (lots was an exaggeration), which were bought "used." My husband and I both had 78s when we were growing up; mostly new I would guess, but don't have any of them now. My husband is the audiophile. We do have LOTS of mono. So do you collect 78s, or are you just nostalgic?
  • I am a teenager
  • I'm 52, going on 21. I remember punching out computer cards when we had our first PC at work. Table tennis bats with a square ball was my first computer game. Have helped my daughters out on a couple of ABO levels but they don't play much as it's not too cool to be beaten by dad! I also have some 78s but now nothing to play them on having sold the gramaphone...
  • @twylatime lol....aren't those senior discounts grand? I'm 62 going on 15 (or so the folks on my home board say) so it's fun to see some guys my age that enjoy AB like I do. I didn't even discover AB til this summer - don't have a smartphone. Hate phones! But I have been a gamer since 'Pong' ruined me for life.....many, many.....many moons ago. Glad to have a place where we 'old folks' can creep into once in a while! ; )
  • My wife had some off and on medical problems and I actually downloaded ABO and saved it until she went to the hospital again. That has helped while away many hours and about the time she went back ABS was out.
    I have noticed I'm far from the only one with the cell phone out making slingshot motions...
  • Just turned 40 about a month ago. No issues here. I can get three stars on just about every level, but still have an issue with overall scores. No matter what I try, I always end up on the low side, so, with few exceptions, the only achievements I don't earn are the score-based ones.

@sal9 - I remember getting Combat for the 2600, but we actually had a system prior to it - the Fairchild Video Entertainment System aka Videocart when I was really young:
    http://www.pinkgorillagames.com/retro/channel f console-thumb.jpg
    http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/26/10174-fairchild channel f_super.jpg
  • I loved my Commodore 64!
    Actually, that really was a great system for games. And introduced an awful lot of people to some computer concepts in a more friendly way. It's still up in my attic.
    Now that I think about it, there was a game on there where a gorilla threw bananas over a building at a target that wouldn't be too much of a stretch to be seen as an ancient ancestor to Angry Birds!
  • I'm a 48 year-old grandma and have enjoyed video games my whole life. I love Angry Birds, but still enjoy classics like Mario. I loved video game parlor games like Centipede and Galaga when I was in high school. It's cool I can share these games with my 6 and 8 year old grandkids.
  • @fran
    I will be 60 next week and love playing angry birds.
  • Why should this game be harder for us middle age people? I turn 50 soon and still can beat must of you juniors, lol.
    Well, my problem is my eyes but IPad made it possible for me to play as much as I like. When play IPhone my eyes gets tried too soon.
  • Well, I'm 60 and (not counting some recent updates I haven't gotten to) have 3 stars on all of ABO, Rio and Space except for DZ that I haven't tried yet. I have 3 stars on all of Seasons except for 2 games in Seasons Greedings that I've become convinced cannot be done on an old Galaxy S.
    So I don't think age is much of a barrier to Angry Birds success!
  • Season's Greedings can be done on a Galaxy S, but that episode's a beast, @78.

I know of 78's. My dad has a gramophone that he still plays sometimes :)
  • @78rpm : That Gorilla game was on Microsoft QBasic. (audiophile, C= nerd and ex-banana flinger here :) )
  • @brave1966 -- So do you think records are better than digital?
  • Hinarei - grammaphone huh? Smarty! :-)

Brave 1966 - that's it! I remember now. I knew something was wrong from my memory of the graphics on that.

Mvnla2 - just my opinion, but heck no. CD's and the electronic options are so much better.

• @78RPM -- Well, I'm not the audiophile in our house, but my husband has all kinds of technical reasons why records are still better. Even with recent improvements, CDs don't have high enough sampling; other electronic formats are just weak. But I should offer to have the last word, so this doesn't become an audiophile discussion. : ))
  • Is 63 a senior? Then I qualify. I played Pong in black and white so I've been at it for awhile. I play every Angry Birds game too much. Addicted sums it up.
  • @78rpm : I suppose someone could have ported the source code into CBM Basic (also by Microsoft lol), but I don't recall seeing it as a native app.

@mvnla2 : They each have their own strengths and weaknesses. :)
  • I am 58 and never played video games until I got Angry Birds. Now I love it. I have Angry Birds on my iPhone, so I can kill time when waiting in an airport, etc. I also have all AB games on my PC.

Since many young people are reading this board, allow me to offer some advice.

While you are young, enjoy being young. I always wanted to be older when I was young, but now I wish I could go back to those days of pain-free knee joints, dye-free solid brown hair and parent-paid bills.
  • So how many of you remember (as I do extremely fondly) standing in the long line to get in when Star Wars first came out? And the starship came in over our heads with the music and everything else.
    We all knew we were in for something completely different and it exceeded our wildest expectations!
  • Funny you mention it @78RPM, this weekend i put in the New Hope DVD to watch with my son. He is currently the same age I was when I went with my dad to see the original in the theater. Was very fun to watch the wonder in his eyes, even if some of the special effects are a bit outdated.
  • I'm 15 gonna b 16 in April
  • I am 56. I've been using mainframes and PCs since the dark ages but I never used them much for games except an occasional round of solitaire. Then I got this iPad last July and immediately downloaded ABO. I just had to see what all the fuss was about. Now I know, and am totally hooked. I need to check in on that "anonymous" thread...
  • Sooooooooooo not ready to accept the title of senior ... LOL ... 54, and a great lover of video games, as long as they don't require quick reflexes. Love Angry Birds, only been playing since this past June and have become quite addicted.
  • I'm 53 years old. And I position myself as a devoted gamer since... I don't remember, maybe from 25, when computers were big and only simple console games were available.
  • @BPC and @Furfeather and @thevs
    Welcome! I've only been on ABN since maybe July but have enjoyed it and learned a lot that helps me feed my addiction. Hope you all enjoy it too.

You bunch of crazy youngsters!
  • What's with all these youngsters claiming the title of senior when they're in their early 50s? @BPC, @furfeather, @thevs -- You should be thinking of yourselves as barely middle-aged; there's plenty of time to "enjoy" being a senior.
  • I blame Cosmo2503, AARP and Shari's ;

Oh, and these aching knees and fingers...
  • I'm 37, and sometimes feel old.
    My first video game was Pong on a game console from the 70ies.
    Then Giana Sisters on the C64 of my brother, Solitaire in Win3.0 on the laptop of dad.
    The first game on my very own computer was Tie Fighter.
  • @BPC -- I forgot about Cosmo2503 starting this by saying 40 was a senior. What is Shari's?
  • Shari's is a chain restaurant, a smidgen better than Denny's. Like many restaurants, they offer a "senior" menu to those 55+. They are currently serving a yummy butternut squash soup :)
  • @78rpm, thank you for the warm welcome. I've been here a couple months now and I am quite impressed with this community. So many are generous sharing strategies and tips, while at the same time competing for top scores. And the moderating is excellent, I don't know how @AMslimfordy keeps up with it all.
  • @BPC I am not authorized to reveal that information. *beep boop* Ahem, please pay no attention to the power cord tied around my ankle.
  • lol @AMslimfordy dats a funny joke power cord tied around ur ankle dats funny @BPC i think slim just makes sure the website is going good dats all nice 2 meet u @BPC
  • I think we've all suspected that about Mr. @AMslimfordy and the rest of the bunch. Let's face it, those walkthroughs and videos get up juuust a little bit faster than a real human could do...
    And he's just awfully good at math I hear.
  • Oh good bc I'm horrible at math lol
  • Wow, our esteemed bird and math master does have a sense of humor! (Your secret is safe with us, @AMslimfordy. ;) )
  • @penguinlover -- You obviously don't understand the extent of Slim's superhuman powers. He or another of the admins read every single post to make sure the content is acceptable and relevant. There are 4 admins working on the videos (Slim, BirdLeader, Sal, and FujiToast), but it's still amazing how quickly they get them done. I believe that at least once they got early copies, but not sure that is a regular occurrence.
    BTW -- Slim is working on a PhD in number theory. You could try sending him a PM about your math problems. Would be interesting to find out if he can relate to basic high school math.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!