Ideas For This Website (Moved to the "New Forum"!) Page 19
  • 991 Comments
  • I agree with @JunkenMetel. And I want to add one more thing: I never get a notification when someone mention me in the forum, they have tried " @minh, @firebombbird, @fire_bomb_bird" and didn't work (but after all is my fault, I shouldn't have used space in my nickname and should have typed the username same with the nickname when register)
  • @firebombbird, have you considered removing the spaces from your name and then getting someone to test out '@firebombbird' ?
  • Regarding the Activity portion of the site, this is something on the to-do list.

FBB's username can't be changed and @ mentions in the forum do not allow for punctuation. It's not our system so we can't change that. The new forum will (already does?) allow for punctuation. In the new forum, you will be mentionable via @minh.
  • I never get notifications if someone mentions me in the forum, and until now I didn't even know the others do get them! What's really weird about this - my nickname is the same as my username and I've never changed it.
  • @Annifrid - You could check your notification settings under your profile. I had the same problem, but then someone told me to check that my settings are allowing notifications when my name is mentioned. When you go on your username (in the right upper corner) it gives you a dropbox and when you click "Notifications" it opens up a menu where you can manage your settings :)
  • @Lisko @Annifrid
    L's comment will direct you to the main site's notification settings. These are very useful as well, but I don't think it will help with A's problem.

For forum notifications, click on your own username in any forum comment. On the right side, you should see the option to "Edit Forum Preferences", by your avatar.
  • @AMslimfordy - Haha, you're always one step ahead! But When I had the same problem with notifications It was only because I didn't have that "A member mentions you in an update using nickname X" crossed but when I changed that it startes to work :D So that's why I told @Annifrid to check the settings :D
  • I have one more problem : when I click on @AngerManagement's forum profile (sorry for making you an example) it said he joined February 10th but when I click on his main profile it said he joined October 24th, this happens to other members
  • @Lisko Interesting. Valuable info! (Can't wait to nix this forum.)

FBB: You don't necessarily join the forum at the same time that you join the main site. No error there.
  • OK, thanks for explaining
  • This may have been mentioned before, so forgive me if it has been, buts its my favourite rant at present.
    Many nesters never leave strategies in the walkthroughs, even if they hit a really high score, but I suspect many of them use the tips posted by others to achieve those high scores. Selfish behaviour, indeed.
    Is it possible when somebody posts a high score (say in the top ten percent) they get a "message" asking them to post their strategy. They may, of course, ignore it, but it may prick somebody's conscience.
  • @Hunnybunny I like that idea, but how about just for a new top-5 score?

With popular levels (2000 players), asking the top 10% to submit their strategy could result in a lot of redundant posts. Usually the top 100 scores are all based on the same 1 or 2 ideas and better than average luck.
  • @Hunnybunny @burpie We do have a few ideas in mind. Mostly they are text prompts like the ones you describe, but as you said there is no way to actually force the user to obey the prompt.

This system is actively on the To-Do List, but ranks a little behind some bigger items. A major hurdle standing in our way is doing this on mobile devices, since they're a bit pickier about what's allowable.
  • Good point, I agree
  • @AngerManagement
    It wouldn't eliminate trolls and fake scores. We could never REQUIRE users to upload their scores via Rovio Account. Therefore manual entry would still allow trolls.

Next, I don't know whether our server would be able to handle such a dynamic and large load of data.

Stepping aside from these issues, one thing we would LOVE to have would be a LUA file uploader. You would manually need to obtain the LUA file and load it, but it would be something. Even here there are many issues. The biggest is encryption: We don't have the key, and the key changes between versions I believe. Also an issue would be Power Up scores in apps without distinction (Rio, e.g.). More issues include double-bonus glitches (Rio) and swapped levels (Seasons Moon Festival GEs).

All that said, we could try to create some logic checks to avoid these issues and in general it would be beneficial to the site. However I would imagine Rovio is hesitant to sent decryption keys to anyone, even if they like us :)

@BirdLeader Anything you'd like to add?
  • @amslimfordy, those were the same types of issues I was thinking of, but I just wanted to hear yours and BL's opinions. If you feel like the benefits would outweigh the negatives (or those negatives could easily by avoided by logic checks) then I would think that Rovio would give you the go ahead, unless they have specific reasons against it, which I doubt.
  • Like any company, I would understand Rovio wanting to keep private things private.

Oh, while we're on the topic. One major fear of mine is that Rovio Accounts could be hackable, similar to GameCenter. Obviously the system is young and I can't confirm it, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it ends up being true.
  • Are the current ABN Leaderboards not hackable? If not, good job:] I would imagine the Rovio accounts are hackable, so I suppose that is a major downside, unless Rovio had made them unhackable?
  • I hate hackers, what do they think they will gain from cheating to get a score that is ridiculous just to be caught and have no friends because of the matter? Good to know that ABN is hacker-safe:]
  • OK @AMslimfordy I'll try the Edit forum preferences :)
  • @amslimfordy, @birdleader, how about creating a custom notification that notifies people that they could get the Jedi Addict Badge, if they post a screenshot, once they have reached the magic 3,250,000 on their Leaderboards. Most people do not know about this and the Danger Addict Badge, when it was open, so this will increase the amount deserving people that aren't left in the dark, and they get their reward?
  • how about a simple TOP 10 LEVELS for each user based on their rank in that level..... (maybe on their profile page) in other words the 10 levels that you destroyed the hardcore-est.... i think almost every member of angry birds nest would get a kick outta that, and although i am not a programmer, it seems like it would be easy enuf to do?
  • What a great idea @crash! Since I'm usually pretty low (well, OK, near the bottom) just about everywhere, but have a few decent scores here and there, I would really enjoy seeing my Top 10 in one place, just so I can see that I'm not totally worthless. It would be a great encouragement for all of us who are not super-flingers to keep working on our scores (and to enter our scores in the first place).
  • When will we see the new forum? I'm very excited for it!
  • The Rovio Account integration is not a bad idea, but that is subject to Rovio allowing access to developers to their data. But concerning the load on the server issue, it could be implemented so that you would have to manually log in to the site and click "update my scores" to actually have your up to date scores downloaded and updated from your Rovio Account to ABN.

I also agree that users who wish not to join Rovio Account should have the option to enter their scores in Manually and that should be kept.
  • A lot of people have been having trouble with lack of notifications when they are mentioned in the forum because their name has a space or dash in it. Would it be possible to include a message when they sign up for either site that warns them not to use spaces or dashes for the forum, and points out that it is easier to get messages if you username and nickname are the same?
  • @mvnla2, there is currently no point in doing this, as the new forums are being unveiled in the near future, and I have heard that the notification system works just as in the main site;)
  • @angermanagement -- The new forums have been coming in the near future for at least a year (I think), so I am not holding my breath. @admins -- Sorry if I insulted you, but it has been quite a while, and I do know you are busy, so I'm not really complaining. Just thought it might be a fairly easy fix, and help a lot of people.
  • It's been a few months, but the previous version was not compatible with our version of WordPress. The one we are working with now seems stable and we have been playing around with it behind the screens for a few weeks now. We are splitting our time between that, some Leaderboard improvements, server issues (gone? Knock on wood), etc.

More than anything, there's no reason for us to work on a system that we are working on eliminating ;)
  • Would it be possible to separate the comments for each level in regards to game play issues vs. strategies?

When you click on the star for seeing the walk-through then scroll down to the comments, it could be set for right after that. Kind of annoying to have to read through sometimes 20-30 complaints before finding an alternate strategy for a level.
  • The strategy comments are usually have a blue background, so don't need to separate it
  • I can't see any difference in the backround colors o.O
  • Additionally, clicking on the small "+" under those comments will filter so that only alternative strategies are shown.
  • @Aman - I meant that I can't see any difference in the backround color :) That example @fbb gave, shows the backround is white as all the other comments are :P
  • @Lisko - Sorry, I misunderstood.
    And yes, It's difficult to find any difference because background color of strategy comments is light blue, similar to white :)
  • @Lisko As someone who is color blind, I agree that it's very very hard to see. Compare FBB's linked comment to the thread above it to notice the slight difference.

Alternatively, you should also see a small + next to the Reply button on an Alt Strat comment.
  • @amslimfordy, so clicking the '+' will make it so only strategies are shown? If so, then is it possible to give some sort of indication of this, such as a little message when the user hovers over the button?
  • Will filter to show only designated "Alternative Strategies". In general, I think this is less productive than it could be, since not everyone uses the AltStrat button when posting.
  • I agree, I always forget to press that button, so do most people, so I guess it would restrict people from seeing great strategies.
  • Can let when click a link within main site and forum open in new tab? Not to open link in current windows.
  • @pjng the feature to open a link in a new window is already on @birdleader list, I asked him this a couple of days ago, because I read this request on the main site a couple of times before. So it is coming, but in the meantime, just right click or on the tablet or phone press and hold on a link and select open in new window/tab.
  • A little thing, and maybe it would clutter the page too much, or perhaps too time consuming to implement: A direct link on a walkthrough page to the leaderboard for that level. Would be handy at times, but certainly not essential. Just a thought!
  • @bonneypattycat click on the top score on the walkthrough page, it takes you to the leaderboard for that level.
  • @bpc, there already is, although not visible at first, just click on the name of the leader for each given level and it will take you to the leaderboard for that level.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!