• 554 Comments
  • @josephine
    Amstelveen/Amsterdam
    The Netherlands
    GMT+2
  • @IceSh4rK
    Jesenice
    Slovenia
  • @josephine @IceSh4rK Thanks for joining. Will add you as soon as I can figure out new Google maps (see comment bottom of page 9). You both will get red dots, unless you say you want to be listed as a piggie, in which case you get green.
  • @mvnla2, I forgot to mention it, but a red dot is excellent. Unfortunately I can't help with your problem; changes like that can be frustrating, but I'am not planning to move :-), so take your time.
  • Members' map is mostly back in business. Updated as of 2 pm today.
    Did I mention that I hate Google? The new Google fusion tables has managed to change all the times relative to UTC to blanks (in table only)! I think I know how to fix it, but will wait till next time.
  • @birdyboo93
    United States
    State of Illinois
    Will County

hope this info is enough. good luck!
  • @birdyboo93 -- Should be enough. Will try to update today or tomorrow.
  • @birdyboo93 -- Updated to add you
    @all -- Table time zones should be fixed
    Let me know if there are any problems
  • @bonneypattycat

Nickname Cat

Puyallup, WA 98372, USA
  • Hope everyone in storm's path is OK today. These are the people on the ABN members' map who are most likely to have had trouble and who haven't been active today:
    @Howie-k -- New Jersey (but inland, I think)
    Sal9 in NYC has been active on site, as have Kathy and Slim in Boston, and Lostgreybird in MA
    I hope @JTB in MA is also OK, but hasn't been active for more than a day.
  • Sorry -- @bonneypattycat -- Somehow missed you. Will add you today. You seem to have 2 different nicknames: BPC in forum and Cat on rest of site. Might want to fix; otherwise pretty confusing.
  • @bonneypattycat -- Map updated. Please let me know if not correct.
  • I didn't like "BPC" nickname, so I changed it to Cat. I don't see a way to change it in the forum. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated :)
  • @bonneypattycat -- The only way you will get a message when people @mention you is if they use your username (bonneypattycat), not to mention spell it correctly (just corrected spelling). You might be able to change your forum nickname: look under about / FAQ on gold bar at top of page, or ask an admin (e.g., @amslimfordy). You can not change your username as far as I know. Birdleader could probably do it for you, but I don't think he normally does, or you could delete your username and start over with a different user name. You would lose all your points and scores on the leaderboards, and any old posts would appear as "deleted user". Best to consult with an admin before doing this; I am not an admin, so some of this may be inaccurate.
  • @BPC Your username cannot be changed.
    @mvnla2 An @ mention in the forum always uses the displayed name. The forum and the main site have little-to-no interaction.
  • @Slim -- So you mean all my care in using real usernames, not nicknames in the forum means that people don't get notification?
  • Add me.
    Bowlerboss
    USA
    Ohio
    Westlake
  • @bbloss You are on the map. You may have to zoom in a bit to see your dot. Let me know if you want to be included in the purple pin for the closest large city (Cleveland, I think?)?
  • @mvnla2 I must say this is fascinating ;) I cant quite take full advantage due to limitations on my phone,but I think it's great and hope it continues to bring ABN members a little closer:)
    Thanks again for a great idea and all your hard work to keep it up :)
  • Yeah, Cleveland is the biggest city, @mvnla2. Can i be included in the purple pin for it?
  • @bboss -- Will do as part of next update.
  • Can half of the dot be red and the other green???
    Just asking,because I'm neutral
  • @Enrico Carl Andrei -- No. Google docs allows a very limited choice of colors. I can't even make the green a real "piggie green."
  • CmdrBond > United Kingdom > Dorset > Bournemouth

(Last 2 letters of Post Code obscured ;) )
    {post code removed by admin}
  • @CmdrBond -- Thanks for joining. I don't need your postal code. Will update later today.
  • The map is so cool! As a new ABN member, it's great to see where everyone lives.

Furfeather
    USA
    California
    San Jose
  • @bboss, @CmdrBond, @Furfeather -- Thanks for joining! Map and table updated. Please let me know if I made any mistakes.
  • I am a piggie fan! Make my dot green I'm @bboss
  • @Bboss Will happen next update.
  • @bboss -- Would be nice if someone else joined map, so I wouldn't have to update just to make you a piggie fan.
    @all -- We still have only 3 or 4 piggie fans, isn't anyone else a piggie fan?
    Also, now that ABSW has been out for a couple of days, there must be lots of users on the site who could join.
  • @NunoM
    Portugal

Serpa
  • @NunoM -- Hurray! Portugal! I love it when someone joins from an unrepresented country. Still have plenty of those left: hint, hint @all.
    Will try to update later today.
  • Awesome! @sunshine @dorito and I are all in Cleveland! :D
  • @nunoM -- You're on the map!
    @bboss -- You should now have a green pin.
    Please let me know if there are any mistakes. Sorry for the delay.
  • Whoot! The leader of each game (like AA, AB, or ABSW) should get a special dot that is like orange or something
  • Interesting idea, but the leader sometimes changes. Should I give everyone who at one time was a leader a special color? I'm not sure everyone who is tops on the leaderboard is on the map.
  • Nah I think that would confuse things @mvnla2 the way it's set up seems perfect don't you think? Why mess with perfection I say. I have a question though, if I bookmark the time zone maps do you think every time I pull it up it will show the updates you've entered? Don't know if you've done it but I was just wondering. Thanks @mvnla2 for all your work on the maps it's a great feature of ABN.
  • The links to the actual map and table change everytime I update them, so if you bookmark the actual link, you won't get the updates. One of these days I will figure out how to do it without changing link. I like keeping the master file on my computer, and that seems to be one of the issues.
  • Ok thanks for the info @mvnla2, it's not that big a deal its just nice to have my fav stuff in the nest bookmarked. I can certainally live without it though! :)
  • Ok, so if China now has the largest number of AB users per day, why haven't a single one of them joined the ABN members' map? I was trying to reach Chinese players through twitter, but never had any success. Anyone have any special links / contacts?
    We also don't have any Japanese; not to mention a lot of other countries : ((
  • @mvnla... not sure, but the chinese addicts are probably locked out of this site by their government... I know they have lots of restrictions and Google is one of them... so is YouTube, therefor making this website a forbidden place also maybe?
  • @mvnla2 I believe e-star is correct, they are very restricted and I'm very sure ABN would Not be allowed. It's very sad to think about if you ask me, but I'm betting that's why you don't have any on the map. :(
  • @kimmie @e-star I think someone told me that Chinese could access ABN, but not sure if correct. I suppose even if they can, it's not that interesting if you can't see videos on YouTube. I'm trying again to reach Chinese and Japanese, but don't know if it will be successful -- AB is becoming HUGE in China.
  • Just can't believe I, a not-so-keen member in ABN, would become the first Hongkonger who gets in this!!

Username: @bullet
    Nickname: bullets0000
    Region (or should it be city?): Hong Kong

@mvnla2 As far as I know, people in the southeast countries (ie China, Japan and South Korea) have all made social websites exclusively among themselves. For instance, while we watch videos on YouTube, the Chinese prefers Tudou and Youku, and the Japanese almost always goes to NicoNico. They seldom explore the outside world (due to their bad English perhaps?), so I bet there are actually less than a hundred people in the southeast countries who have heard of ABN, not to mention BEING here. That said, I think your search for Chinese/Japanese/South Koreans here would be really tough, if not in vain.

PS: The fellow in Bangladesh caught me off gaurd. LOL
  • @Bullet -- Whoot! Time to celebrate! Our first Chinese (well geographically, at least). So is your heritage Chinese or something else? I guess kids in Hong Kong must grow up (have grown up?) learning English. Your English is as good or maybe better than people for whom it is the first and only language. Hope you become a more active member. Why "not-so-keen?"
    Oh yeah, will try to update map later today.
  • @Bullet -- You're on! Let me know if I made any mistakes. Do you know any other Chinese who might be interested in joining? Also, do you have any suggestions for recruiting Chinese / Japanese / Korean members? I'll try the video sites you suggested above, but not clear I'll be able to make any sense of them.
  • @mvnla2
    I suspect that "non-English speakers use English better than English speakers do" is a global phenomenon - foreign people tend to have a better grasp on a language than those who uses that language as the mother tongue. You may be surprised that the Westerners are able to speak much more standard Cantonese than I am as soon as they get around to it!

I'd love to help you out a bit, but the university study always gets in my way. Not to mention this is my final year (so I've got to find a job - arrrgh!). I think I'll have even less time on the Net by 2013.

Sorry, I don't know Japanese nor Korean. As for the mainlanders, I doubt if the mainland government would welcome me. :/ You know, the infamous restrictions.
  • @bullet -- Thanks for the reply. Hope you do well in your studies and your job search. What is your major and what kind of job are you looking for?
    You didn't say why you weren't "so keen a member" of ABN.
    Just curious. You don't need to answer if you think I am being too nosy.
  • @mvnla2
    I would love to be keen if I could - it's the studies that take away my spare times, and so the only possible time that I come here is after an update is freshly released. I only have time to 3-star everything, but going above average is too much for me.

I'm a Mathematics student. Unfortunately in HK, the whole society is hyped up with finance and real estates, and so industries outside these two are all screwed. That makes finding a decent job difficult for fresh graduates-to-be like me.
    And the thing I loathe is that this society has always been persuading me to become a Maths teacher, as "(apart from research) this is the only way out". However, all the ridiculous stories about the "monster parents", who always lodge pointless complaints every other day, have made teachers one of the dirtiest jobs in HK. I don't wanna do that.

I think that's enough for me - going further would inevitably introduce that filthy stuff called politics.
  • @Bullet --Did you know that @AMSlimfordy is a graduate student in number theory? I think there are several other math majors who are members also. You all share one thing in common -- you justifiably give your studies a higher priority than AB. Good Luck.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!