The Bloated Pig - A Place for Weary Flingers Page 2518
  • 159732 Comments
  • @Annifrid -- Your comment about no sunsets before 8pm is geographically impossible. Just saying in case you were somewhat serious. Just checked sunrise / sunset for LA. The latest sunset appears to be about 8:10pm and the earliest sunrise is ~5:45am (not so sure about this). Days around the winter solstice are a lot shorter, but no where near as bad as northern Europe, of course.
    Should really ask what countries / cities you are considering, if you've actually given it a lot of thought.
    Along the bay south of San Francisco is also nice, but remember that Mark Twain (or someone) said "The coldest winter of my life was the summer I spent in San Francisco."
    If you are seriously thinking of moving to the U.S., you should research immigration laws. We aren't to friendly towards people wanting to move here permanently unless they are in a high-tech field. Even then, I don't think it's all that easy. Nothing like moving from country to country in Europe.
  • @mvnla2 I know it isn't possible to never have sunsets before 8pm ... I only wish it was :) Seriously speaking, I just don't want it to be completely dark at 4pm like here in December. That sucks.
  • Thanks for adding your opinion on the issue @catsnbirds i think we need to get more members to say something as it looks like nothing has changed:(
  • @annifrid if you find your weather Utopia let me know. I'm coming!
  • @Annifrid -- In LA the shortest day is ~1:40 min longer than the shortest day in Prague, and sunset at the winter solstice is ~5pm. If you really want long days in the winter, head closer to the equator, but that usually comes with extra heat.
    If it sounds like I'm unsympathetic, I'm not. If you can't keep track of all the negatives, what I mean is that I really do sympathize with your feelings. I lived in Buffalo, N.Y. for several years, and the dark and gloom really did get depressing.
    As far as weather is concerned, I think LA is pretty good. We live close enough to the coast that it doesn't get too hot, and the weather is great for golf most of the year. The biggest downside is the traffic and the cost of living. I put traffic before cost of living, because if you're living here, you've figured out how to deal with it, but traffic is a constant headache, and it's continually getting worse.
  • @Mvnla2 You didn't tell @Annifrid about the shaky ground, drought, fires, and mudslides. Other than that, the traffic, and the cost of living, it's gorgeous.
  • @Annifrid -- Guess @Rat is correct. The seasons in LA are earthquake, fire, and mudslides. I guess there's also summer. Earthquake season can happen any time. The Northridge earthquake of 1994 (?) was the only one that did significant damage to our house, even though it was 20 or more miles away. By significant, I mean >$10K. Fortunately, we don't live in the hills, so aren't directly affected by fires or mudslides.
    Rat did mention the drought, which has been going on for several years now. It might actually get a significant number of people to replace their water-hungry lawns (which need to be watered most of the year) with native California plants that are drought-tolerant.
    If you're really thinking of moving to the U.S. you ought to check prospective locations for hurricanes and tornados. Most places don't have both, and CA has neither, well except for a water-spout or two every decade that comes on land.
    Pretty soon you'll be thinking Europe is a pretty good place to live. : D
  • Ha ha ha ha There's no place like home...there's no place like home.
  • * hands flashlight to OB for safekeeping * nighty night all
    night Pa ♡
  • Have a safe trip home Ma,
    Nite Nite
  • @annifrid To maximize the daylight at the end of the day, live on the western side of a time zone. My sister lives in the same time zone I do, but she is on the eastern edge and I am on the western. Sun sets for her about an hour and fifteen minutes before it does for me. Of course, it is up much earlier for her!
  • @annifrid may I suggest Barbados? One of the best Caribbean islands. Well away from the hurricane path. OK, it rains occasionally, but it's warm rain. The sun sets at 6.30, but the sunsets are amazing.
    Have no idea what jobs are available, other than running a surf school (don't expect you do much surfing in central Europe) But we can all dream...
  • ahhhh Barbados ..yes we can dream
    What about St. Thomas? @hunnybunny is that the U.S one or is it St. Martin ?
    Personally I'm afraid to leave the states :( even in my dreams lol
  • You can't experience the world without leaving home Ma. There's noting to be scared about. Haven't you heard? Most accidents and deaths happen at home. You need to get out of the house. It's dangerous there. ha ha ha
  • Well Pa when i find a Bag full of money somewhere I'll think about traveling lol..until them
    "There's no place like home " hmmm seems I've heard that recently ;)
  • @Annifrid -- If you chose your location well, you can avoid the fires and mudslides (they go together in general). Earthquakes you can't avoid, and there is no warning. Well, I guess there is an early warning system in the works, but they mean a few seconds if you aren't at the epicenter. We bought a map of LA fault lines before we bought our house, but you really can't get that far from one, and they are always discovering new ones. Fortunately, the San Andreas is many miles inland in this part of CA, but the Northridge quake was on an unknown fault, and the biggest quake in LA in the last couple of hundred years was on the Newport / Inglewood fault, which runs basically north-south through the LA basin.
  • @Ma Don't you get that commercial about "The Money Store"? According to their adverts, they're giving it away. he he
  • lol Pa If only they were 'giving it away ' I'd take them up on it in a heartbeat St. Thomas here I come :)
    ahh a girl can dream right? in the meantime OB I'll have a SpacePigKiller...and put some bacon flavored Ice cream in the freezer for @Annifrid on me next time she pops in:)
  • I just want to go on record here:

I want my Flock Favorites update, and I want it now!

sigh....
  • Anybody watching the U.S. Open at Chambers Bay? Gorgeous views of my home stomping grounds from the drone :)
  • Happy Fathers Day to all the flingers out there! Hope it's a nice day for everyone :)
    @BPC I saw a bit of the golf yesterday & there are some beautiful views for sure. Love the shots of the mountain in the background.
    OB it's a lovely sunny day here, could you put my coffee on ice please.
    Have a great day all :D
  • @BPC -- Been watching quite a bit. Gorgeous country. I'm surprised the golf course isn't greener. Doesn't it rain a lot there? Anyway, it looks like another course that would be way, way too difficult for me to play, even if it is open to the public. Will have to check the length from the forward tees and a course map. I don't think it's the length that would get me, just the really tough layout.
  • Happy Father's Day to all the dads in the nest.
    Special appreciation to @Birdleader. As I understand the story, we have the fact that he's a father to thank for the creation of ABN.
  • @kathy not sure about St. Thomas, but certainly been to St. Martin. Mr Bunny needs his heart pills, just thinking about it. He had a little money then (I've spent the lot, since) and we went mad. Spend. Spend. Spend.
    Duty Free: Expensive Camera, Chanel sunglasses (for me) RayBans (for him), a very nice Tiffany gold necklace, that come to mind, and goodness knows what else.
    A once in a life time "who gives a damn" experience
    @rat perhaps I am a smuggler, that was way over our duty free allowance!!!

@BPC not seen the golf, as yet, watching Andy Murray win at Queens, and cricket, which I expect you know nothing about, so will have to watch later.

• @HunnyBunny I saw this English nursery rhyme and couldn't help but think of you because of the last line.

Poor Mrs. Bunny, she spent his money,
    And then began to cry;
    Oh! Bunny dear, I sadly fear,
    Our money I have spent.
    What! Spent my money, you naughty bunny!
    Then I shall surely die.
    Spent it, spent it, spent it?
    I smell a Rat close by.

@BPC I missed seeing your old stomping ground. Whaaaa!

@Karen68 Lovely? It's going to take more than a little ice to survive the heat here.
  • @rat I rewrote it
    Mr Bunny, dear, I sadly fear,
    Your money I have spent.
    What! Spent my money, you naughty bunny!
    Justice, I fear, must be dealt
    Oh, Mr Bunny, spare me, please, there's still mine to be spent...

• @mvnla2 looks like a links course to me. Mighty fine @bpc
  • But @hunnybunny yours doesn't rhyme which defeats the purpose of a Limerick..sorry i like @rat9 version lol;)
  • @mvnla2 The Chambers Bay golf course is about the only place in all of western Washington state that is that brown, but yes, even the lawns around homes are beginning to turn unless they are getting a bit of water. Usually this time of year lawn's are still green, even without sprinklers, but we had an exceptionally dry spring. We also have a severely reduced snowpack, so water restrictions are surely coming our way.

At Chamber's Bay, they do have sprinklers, but they use them sparingly. Plus, the type of grass, a drought tolerant fescue, does turn brown, even when watered.

@rat, not too late, they are playing the fourth round today! And I won't be surprised if there is a playoff.
  • @kathy mine neither rhymes or scans. It's just more truthful.
    @bpc watching but the time difference is so great I'll never see the end
  • Don't know what you mean by 'scans' @hunnybunny but i guess if it's more truthful it works lol:)
    Very quiet here in the Nest today. .not just the pub the whole nest..
    *starts singin' * lonley I'm so lonely, I'm so Lonesome I could cry*
    ya so i mixed 2 different songs sue me..
    OB I'll have a SpacePigKiller please and make it 2 since I'm playing mirror world :)
  • *Passes flashlight to OB for safekeeping *
    Night Pa ♡
  • Sorry Ma. That wasn't a limerick. I took liberties with the classic, "Three Little Kittens".
    Night Ma

@BPC I got distracted and didn't see a TV again today. I know, sounds un-American right?

@HunnyBunny Let's hope the next poem doesn't start,
    Poor Mr. Bunny, he spent her money....ha ha ha
  • @kathy
    Rhyming is easy, peasy, lemon squeezy! They rhyme. Taken from a very old advert in the UK for lemon juice in a lemon shaped plastic squeezy thingy.
    Scan is more difficult
    But perhaps when you read ( what rat understands to be ) a limerick, you'll get the scan, it just trips off your tongue:

There was a young man from Nantucket
    Whose foot got stuck in a bucket
    What went through his head
    Can never be said
    That expletive deleted Nantucket

@rat a limerick is traditionally an amusing poem, but the AABBA rhyme has now become the standard. I think taking a standard nursery rhyme and setting your own words to it still counts.

Sorry, Mrs Bunny is creeping back into her literary hole, so not to bore the patrons to death, and Ham Dunk...

OB drinks on me for everyone who managed to read my boring post!

• Oh, @Rat, we have a plan: we spend every penny, together!
  • Oh yeah @hunnybunny Im sorry it was Me who called your poem a Limerick. and I used to be an A+ English and literary student, How i could have forgotten the AABBA rule I should be ashamed :(
    Still don't get what you mean by a 'scan' though must be a UK thing.
    Thanks for the Drink :) OB make it Long Island Iced tea please; )
  • @kathy I have no idea whether you are serious or taking the mick over the AABBA rhyme. Have another Long Island Iced Tea on me

Goodnight, happy flinging xx

• No @hunnybunny I'm serious The AABBA is the rule for a limerick
    Thanks for the drink again;)
    A limerick is a humorous poem consisting of five lines. The first, second, and fifth lines must have seven to ten syllables while rhyming and having the same verbal rhythm. The third and fourth lines only have to have five to seven syllables, and have to rhyme with each other and have the same rhythm.
  • Oh my gosh! What have I done? I just took what @Hunnybunny had just said and parroted it back in what I thought would be a humorous fashion. All in fun. Never was I trying to offend or hold English class. Please let it go.
  • No biggie Pa..all in good fun:)
    have a drink on hunnybunny :)
  • Well Its close enough til Tuesday soo before i forget Again..
    *Places baskets of earplugs on the bar, and on the table by the door. and on all the booth tables,also on the tables in the patio and what the heck might as well go all out and put a couple in the Aviary viewing area,those birds can be noisy; )
    Welcome to Wwwwwwihhhhhiiiiinnneee Tuesday. .
    I'll start as usual Space Mirror levels in general. ..Whiinnneee! !
  • @Annifrid -- Are we now in the same Epic league? As of this afternoon, there is an Annifrid in mine. Until today I was in a league by myself, which is a lot better than suddenly finding myself in 4th behind 3 grinders (or maybe just 3 who completed all of every days objectives). Since I was by myself, I didn't fell pressed to complete the 1st day's when I was having a hard time with one of them.
  • OB I'll have a Sparkling W(h)ine and some cheese to go with it please.
    Wwwwwwihhhhhiiiiinnneee
  • sorry @mvnla2 Didn't see you there, hope you got some earplugs in :/
  • @jlz666 @estar @Anyone who plays Seasons. I've found another level that has, really seriously, got easier.
    Do I start a Discussion, listing them? Do I keep everyone I find to myself? Do I share with friends only?
    We all know that little group of Seasons flingers who share strats between themselves but don't post.
    And one really annoying guy, who seems to be taking over Seasons without ever posting a strat, a screenshot, and just makes supercilious comments when questioned on his alleged top score.
    Any suggestions?
    My heart says share, head (and competitive Bunny) says NO!
  • @HunnyBunny !!! Of course you should Share !! Thats what the Nest is all about and created for!
    I'm ashamed of you for even thinking of Not!! Jeez Where would we all Be if @Estar never decided to share her awesome Videos! !
    Just cuz there are a few stick in the muds , doesn't mean we need a Swamp!
    Hrmppph!
  • OK @kathy new Forum discussion tomorrow! Although no one will notice anyway, all the discussions these days are about Epic, which I have no desire to investigate.

In my defence, I did earlier post my findings on the walkthrough of Winter Wonderland Bonus Level 4, possibly hoping no one would notice my new top score

If only my old brain could remember the two levels me and JLZ found before...
  • Oops meant Winter Wonderham
Post in the New Forum!