Buckle up Angry Birds fans! We’re about to make the jump to lightspeed. During our trip we’ll be handing out complimentary refreshments, as well as breaking down Angry Birds Star Wars in as much detail as possible. First things first though, take a deep breath, you must.
Yes, the wait is finally over, Angry Birds Star Wars is now available for iOS, PC, Mac and Android via Google Play with more platforms coming soon (okay okay, so it’s technically not over for everyone…yet)! If you’re eager to know more right away, you’re in luck. Above is our hands-on “zero-hour” first look at this amazing game above. The video isn’t super polished. Rather, it’s meant to give your first glimpse at the gameplay, episodes, characters, Mighty Millennium Falcon, and more.
Without further ado, let’s jump into the details.
The Cargo: What’s Included
This is what we all want to know. What exactly is included in this initial release? Well, in two short words: A LOT!!!
- Two episodes, 80 levels: We begin our journey on Tatooine, then move onward to the Death Star. As a great treat, these include forty levels each!! Yes, Rovio is really beating all expectations. We also see that the next planet to be released is the icy world of Hoth. We have walkthroughs for all levels done and they’re coming online now.
- Golden Explorer Droids! These are absolutely the droids you are looking for. Golden Droids are just like Golden Eggs in that finding and obtaining them unlocks a level in the episode called “Bonus”. There are five Golden Droids in the initial release, numbered D-1 thru D-5. We will be creating a guide for these very soon.
- More bonus levels! Also within the “Bonus” episode, there are six levels, numbered S-1 thru S-6, which are unlocked by obtaining a certain number of stars. The first is unlocked at 10 stars, then 70, 130, 190, 250, 310. Note that these star counts include levels within “Bonus”.
- Path of the Jedi! takes place on Dagobah — which is where Luke Skywalker first meets the Jedi Master Yoda. Path of the Jedi is much like Danger Zone from Angry Birds Space. It contains 40 very challenging levels. It’s available as an in-app purchase for iOS and Google Play for $1.99 USD, and free for PC. (We will update as information comes in about availability on other platforms.) This is a non-sequential episode with levels numbered J-1 thru J-40. If you are not sure whether you are ready to be a Jedi, the first level is available for free.
Update: It has been brought to our attention that, for iOS and Android, “Path of the Jedi” can be unlocked for free. To do so, the user must 3-star all available levels. (In v1.0.0, this means 3-starring all levels of both Tatooine and Death Star.) We are not aware of this will change in the future.
- Mighty Millennium Falcon We’ve covered it in a bit more detail below.
The Who: Meet the Characters
Who will join us on our noble quest to defeat the ruthless Piglactic Porkpire?
- Red Bird = Luke Skywalker
Our humble, original bird has a brand new hairdo and starts off with the same old power: Nothing. But, on level 1-9 of Tatooine, he obtains a lightsaber! At the tap of a finger, he can slice his way through blocks or redirect laser beams. Very important note! All bird abilities can be triggered during flight or shortly after impact. This is a new feature, and very useful.
- Yellow Bird = Han Solo
No speed boost this time around. Instead, he wields a laser gun of his own. Similar to the Lazer bird in Space, point to where you would like Han to fire. Three quick blasts and he continues on his own parabolic path. Remember, lasers bounce off metal objects.
- Blue birds = Pilots of the Rebellion
They still have their classic splitting ability, though I think they pack a bit more a punch in this app (probably due to their awesome helmets).
- Black bird = Obi-Wan Kenobi
No explosion here! Instead, Obi-Wan uses the force to push nearby blocks with significant force and distance. Tap the screen to not only trigger, but also direct this ability. Think of the Lazer bird, though proximity is certainly a factor.
- Big Brother bird = Chewbacca (aka “Chewie”)
Big Brother has put on some extra weight … and hair (exercising is tough in space). Chewie has no special ability besides girth and momentum, but he is extremely powerful. Notice how the whole screen shakes when he hits.
- White bird = C-3PO
Our golden metallic friend will, on your command, explode. The chunks of metal will pepper the level like machine gunfire, detonating any TNT that crosses its path.
- Egg = R2-D2
Beep-Boop! Fling R2 (not to be confused with our favorite Rovio developer) and tap the screen to trigger an electronic blast toward nearby pigs. The blast will typically dislodge most structures in its proximity as well.
- Pink bird = Princess Leia
She does not appear as a playable character yet, but we know from teased gameplay footage that she will have some sort of tractor beam to pull nearby objects. She does appear in the cut-scenes during gameplay, however.
The How: Gameplay Tips
While some of the game mechanics of Angry Birds Star Wars are familiar, others take some getting used to. Below are a few tips that might help you along the way.
- As we noted above, abilities can be triggered shortly after impact now. You don’t have a lot of time though, so think — and act — quickly young Jedi.
- Both Luke’s lightsaber and Obi-Wan’s force push can deflect laser beams. Deflected laser beams seem to like to target galactic swine.
- Use laser cannons and blasters to your advantage. Sometimes the best way to 3-star a level is to change their direction with a gentle — or not so gentle — nudge.
- Han Solo’s blasters are quite powerful and can bounce off metal as well (they are lasers after all). He also continues on his current course, so it’s like getting two shots in one.
- Lasers can also give your bird a boost, nudge, or roll. While not used often, it’s definitely helpful in some levels.
The Rebel: Mighty Millennium Falcon
I find it quite fitting that the most memorable ship in Star Wars is named after a bird. The Mighty Millennium Falcon is available as consumable in-app purchases. You can buy 20 for $1.99 USD, 50 for $4.99, 110 for $9.99, or 225 for $19.99. (Please do not use this space to criticize this feature. There are forum threads for that.) You also earn them at periodic intervals, relating to how many stars you have earned.
To summon the Mighty Millennium Falcon, tap the icon and the button will place a Space Egg in the slingshot. Fling it toward the structure and either manually summon the target, or the target will be set automatically a few seconds after initial impact. The falcon will appear and target the cross-hairs with its lasers.
Scoring is identical to the Space Eagle in Angry Birds Space. You must have at least 1 bird in your holster to use a Space Egg. Leftover birds count as bonuses towards your score. It does not guarantee the popping of all pigs. Multiple Falcons can be used per level, as well as using normal birds after Falcons. There is an in-try Total Destruction meter, and reaching 100% earns a medal to pin to your lapel.
The Systems: Platform Availability, Compatibility, & Pricing
* Please be aware that this info may change at anytime.
- iPhone / iPod Touch: The SD app for iOS costs $0.99 USD. It is compatible with iPhone 3GS/4/4S/5 and iPod Touch 3rd/4th/5th generations. You must have iOS 4.3 or higher, and yes, it does include iPhone 5 support!
- iPad: The HD app for iOS costs $2.99 USD. iOS 4.3 or higher is required.
- Android (Google Play): The Android app is available via Google Play. There is an ad-supported free version for mobile devices (includes a $0.99 USD in-app purchase option to remove ads) and $2.99 USD version for tablets. We are not aware of specific device compatibilities, but Android OS 2.2 or higher is required. Please contact Rovio directly with these types of questions.
- Android (Amazon Appstore): Amazon has an ad-supported free version, a $0.99 USD ad-free version, and a $2.99 USD version for Kindle. Again, we are not familiar with specific device compatibilities for Android. Please contact Rovio directly with these types of questions.
- PC: Either head over to download.angrybirds.com for the free demo or to Rovio’s shop to purchase the full version. It costs $4.95 USD. For compatibility requirements, see Rovio’s site.
- Mac: Run to the Mac AppStore to purchase Angry Birds Star Wars for $4.99 USD. Mac’s version requires OS X 10.6 or higher.
- All Angry Birds Star Wars 3-star walkthrough videos
- Compete with the best players in the world by entering your scores on our Angry Birds Star Wars leaderboard. It’s fast, easy, and just makes you feel all warm inside.
Past Angry Birds Star Wars Coverage
- Angry Birds Star Wars Official Gameplay Trailer
- Angry Birds Star Wars Gameplay Videos & Animations showcasing all characters abilities
- All the Angry Birds Star Wars teaser videos released to date
- Check out the Angry Birds Star Wars comic (all parts)
- Angry Birds Star Wars officially announced.
- The first teaser image where we all pondered what the heck this was. I was finally right!
I dled the game, and it opens, but when I try to open a level, the game freezes after the comic. Play says my phone is compatible. Is this a bug, or is my phone just too weak?
You should try restarting your device.
I tried that, and the game let me proceed till the second cutscene, but there, it seems to resolutely freeze. I’ve tried restarting, opening with and without an SD card in, and anything else I could try.
Any further suggestions? Maybe I’m missing something
I’ll be very honest and say I’m not very familiar with Android devices. However, Rovio has a pretty good FAQ section on their website, and an “Android” section. I would encourage you to check there. There are some clauses about whether to install the app on SD or phone, things like that.
I went through the Faq, and it looks my device is just too weak :(
Okay, I feel kind of stupid. I finished Path of the Jedi and it showed Luke receiving the green lightsaber. But when I enter a level, it still looks blue, and it doesn’t seem to be any more powerful than before. What am I missing?
I have 3* on all of them, and now my lightsabre is green and longer in all levels. I don’t know if you need to 3* every level in order to get this, because I never move onto a new level until I’ve 3*’d it.
Mine was green after completing J-40.
When i finished level J-40, and go back to the first planet, the first level, from then i had the green laser
Well, whatever the glitch was, it fixed itself after I replayed the “cutscene.” Luke is now armed with the green lightsaber.
@amslimfordy is it possible that Path of the Jedi is advertise as IAP and then after completing first two episodes with three stars it opens without purchasing? I actually purchased episode for phone via Gogle play and right now, after competing level 2-40 on iPad open not only first level in POTJ but complete episode.
This is answered in the post.
@amslimfordy, thanks. I read article when it was first written, but honestly I didn’t read updates. Anyway, as IAP it should be known that POTJ could be free if player get three stars in previous two episodes. It was never said in game description by Rovio in iTunes or Google Play stores.
It is really nice award for three staring, nice surprise from Rovio. I am glad to get it free on iPad and I feel it is fair that I purchased it for phone.
@cosmo2503 I wish I had known that prior to purchasing it. I purchased it immediately upon purchasing ABSW without even playing any levels. I have so far been able to 3 star all the other games and probably will get this one eventually. Unfortunately, the post here had not yet been updated. I don’t mind paying $4 (2 X $1.99), because I get back way more than that in value for the games, but I think it should have been disclosed. I may tweet Rovio, as they are good about replying to me and just ask if some bonus levels for those who paid $1.99 maybe made available or some free MMFs. If answered I will post it here.
There’s a link to a survey on the right side of the pause menu. It’s probably a good idea to fill it out and let them know what is good/bad about the game. The first thing that comes to mind is to let them know not to add power ups to any other games.
I cannot see on my android device, only for ios?
@pjng, i have android also, it was the second advert on the pause screen earlier today. Not sure if it is stil there.
I have iOS, & I have to tap a level MULTIPLE times in order to open up a level.
Is it a bug?
Is it some virus?
PLEASE tell me what you think, @sal9.
You should contact the manufacturer of your device for help.
It sounds like a RAM issue. Try restarting your device.
royal pig guard
Has anyone used the MMF? Any walkthroughs available / going to be available?
Walkthroughs will be posted very soon @mvnla2.
I was thinking of using a MMF to unlock D-1, but finally made it. Will definitely use walkthroughs for MMF, since I don’t want to pay for them.
@amslimfordy I asked Rovio support why galaxy y duos doesn’t support absw even if it has 2.3.6 android. Well i wrote them that i know absw doesnt support it but i wanted to know what reason it was. Funny thing is, they replied what i wrote ”your device doesnt support absw. Please play in pc or mac”
this is the funniest customer service reply i ever got :-D
do u think it has anything to do with RAM or CPU speed?
I’m not a programmer.
@amslimfordy WoW! I didn’t think u can answer like that! Okay then, i’ll ask to one who is a programmer
I downloaded this app but it doesn’t have an updater in it..
Is this some kind of a bug?
I don’t understand. What platform? What device?
Well, my pc version has updater.exe thing. Is that what you mean, Nick?
PC version..got any ideas?
Where did you get the app from, @Nicu4321?
Not sure where you guys would want me to post a bug.. but in the PC version, two levels I’ve ran into so far, all the pigs pop before you even start. This leaves the entire level there, and pts accrued for no birds used. This happened to me on L2 of Tatooine and L27 of Path of the Jedi.
Another bug I just found.. the Windowed button from the main screen.. it works to minimize the window, but will not return to full screen unless you completely exit the game. Once minimized, the button just makes the clicking sound.. no response.
this is indeed a bug, by some levels you start a level, and without doing something the pigs pop, if you try the level again then it is alright, not by a specific level
tht does not happen to mine ..??
Jos is right tho… the bug for the randomly popped pigs really has no specific level.
When I played the golden levels, and refreshed.. it happened there as well.
It seems that I have discovered something interesting. Apparently, Angry Birds Star Wars Free is on the Amazon app store but not the iOS app store yet. Oh what a cruel twist of fate and irony. :-(
Amazon and Google Play’s “Free” apps are not the same as for iOS.
I’ve finished running through the first two worlds on Mac, and am eagerly awaiting news of an update that lets me hop in the Eggs Wing for a jaunt to Dagobah. However, PotJ isn’t available for the Mac as yet…
I’ve not really followed Mac release for Angry Birds, being more used to Android. Is it normal that Mac gets some features after other platforms? All right, it’s only been about a week, but I hunger for more :)
I cannot play this game for my Evolio Evotab 2 Tablet.
I’m not familiar with evolio devices, but you should check rovio’s support page for compatibility issues: http://www.rovio.com/en/support/faq&support_category_id=68
It’s a real pity that Rovio has stopped supporting all Android devices with Android 2.3 or less. No more updates for regular, seasons, space and no new games like this one. “Device not compatible”. Well, last episode ran just fine…
Who could have taken that choice at Rovio ? Essentially this must leave out millions of potential customers – and the risk that these customers seek to get the game in other ways.
I know you can’t do anything here. But I hope that someone from Rovio reads here. They do not reply to my mails.
It would seem that the games require more RAM and processing power to run. This is not at all uncommon in gaming.
@amslimfordy exactly! Android version is not main thing. Game depend on processor speed and RAM. I think at least 512mb ram and 1ghz cpu is minimum for this game.
There are significant differences between OS versions in terms of functionality.
My phone is running Android 2.2.2 and I have had no problems installing/updating/running all versions of Angry Birds.
Just updated AB Star wars to 1.0.2 and it runs, a little slow on my old phone, but it does run.
So with the new update today (Android 1.0.2) did they remove that you can unlock “Path of the Jedi” by three-staring the previous levels? I would like to know before I update (there are no news-log about this update).
Should still be fine.
@AngryBirdNerd and @AMslimfordy
For me the update just unlocked Path of the Jedi . I’m only about 1/3 of the way through Death Star but am able to play PoJ.
On android I finshed none of the planets with 3 stars, and i cant play
I updates and restarted my device, nothing really new happen. I’m only 8 stars away from unlocking POJ.
Well, that’s weird. I’ve got three stars on Tatooine but am only partway through Death Star and PoJ is unlocked.
And now the rest of the story!
PoJ opens like any of others, you play the 1st level, you drive yourself crazy getting 3 stars and then hit the next level arrows.
THEN it hits you up for the $1.99 to play the second level…
Very sorry for being misleading! I just didn’t know it was going to work that way.
In the description of the update, it says that PotJ is available as an In App Purchase or by 3 starring all levels. I am assuming they just mean Tatooine and Death Star as that’s how I got mine to unlock.
If PotJ is not available on all platform, how to unlock bonus level that required star
Will have to wait until the Hoth update.
I just paid for path of the jedi but it’s not working, what do I have to do to be able to play the levels?? I hope that I don’t have to unistall and download the game and loose all of my progress
Which device are you playing on?
It may be a good idea to restart your device. If you are still having issues, try using the “IAP Reloader” (the shopping cart button with two arrows around it, seen on the main screen)
I downloaded my game on Google Play and when I play after updating, it works fine. But on the second time I tried, the loading screen appear and I can’t play. Luckily, I completed my whole game before it turned unplayable.
I had downloaded the game from the App Store on my iMac after it came out on November 8. Its missing Path of the Jedi…perhaps that comes when the Hoth update happens?
The game is awesome!
I was going to put this game on my Nexus 7 (along with Angry Birds, Angry Birds seasons and Angry Birds space) but there is no need to since I already have it on the Mac (same with the other 3).
I find it easier to play Angry Birds on my Mac anyways.
Simply not included for Mac at this time. Nothing has been said about the future availability of Jedi.
Gutted, playing this on IOS loving it, bought it for my mac almost through Tatooine and now it wony load – Heeeeelp :)
I bought this game for my iPhone. I haven’t gotten the update for Hoth yet. My app store hasn’t shown it and neither has the game acknowledged that it can now be used if you update it. Is this supposed to happen?
Try restarting your iPhone, or searching for the app manually.
Just purchased 1.99$ version on galaxy ace android and nothing has changed can’t play poj. Help please!!
You purchased the ad-free app. Path of the Jedi is a separate purchase.
Unfortunately not, the add free app is 0,99$. When i try to purchase path of jedi it says i already own it. Payment has been made on my visacard.when i tap details i get google play store ( processcom.android.vending has stopped unexpectedly.please try again. And thats it. I suspect it could be because i’m running an older version of android 2.3.6. I have sent an email to Rovio so hope to get an answer soon.
Ou should probably contact Google Play as well, as they will have a receipt of the purchase.