Screw this, Rovio – Update Progress Bug

Home Forums Angry Birds Transformers Forum Screw this, Rovio – Update Progress Bug

Viewing 24 replies - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Replies
  • Optimus_Pig
    @optimuspig

@jman

“It was so ingrained into my mind that I needed to collect coins every 2 to 3 hours that I’d pick it up with the intention without thinking and remember I uninstalled the game after awhile.”

Yeah – it’s scary – going and launching the app has become a reflexive action. Even when I I’m actually going into my iPad to do something entirely different, sigh.

Of course, in the process of doing so this morning, I discovered another bug – THE DAMN APP CRASHES ON STARTUP NOW.

Seriously, how does this app just keep getting worse and worse?

Optimus_Pig
    @optimuspig

@gradientturtle7

Sorry, but I just don’t buy that. Rovio isn’t the only app developer with products designed for multiple platforms and operating systems.

I’m just wondering why I don’t encounter nearly as many problems when playing other apps, both Rovio and non-Rovio?

Optimus_Pig
    @optimuspig

@sumitarora15

I don’t think I’m experiencing anything unique here. My bugs are no different than what the others are getting:

– “Update Progress” wipes out progress
    – crash-on-startup
    – video bonuses don’t work (I wasn’t doing doublers, but I was doing mission keys)
    – underpowered Grimlock

What amazes me is that I actually stuck with it for this long. I shudder when I estimate how many hours I’ve spent playing this game. It’s astonishing.

jman
    @jman

@optimuspig @wrw01

If you read between the lines of what gradient turtle says it may explain the recent rash of bugs for all of us. Also alludes to what @20qmindreader suspected earlier in this thread.

He seems to suggezt that As a developer they are focusing on Ios9 which hasn’t been released and Android 5.1.1 which unless you have a newer device you aren’t getting. He also somewhat admits they have limited testing and depends on players to “testing” the updates to find problems.

Wonder if I should see how well this works on lollipop vs kitkat since I was having all my problems on kitkat.

jman
    @jman

Kitkat (android 4.4.4) crashes on startup sometimes, crashes while playing nodes sometimes and didn’t have patience to unlock bumblebee to see what else was wrong.

Lollipop (android 5.1.1) no issues. Played maybe 9 nodes and 2 rounds of missions and no bugs like I was having previously. Been collecting coins and started an upgrade on a tf. The one thing that still is irritating is that I’m still having the next node be the ones that is currently upgrading or is on a mission. Haven’t had a gold dome pop up yet. I have also noticed that I haven’t received any coins from missions….is that the way it is now?

Pampeans
    @pampeans

Opened the app this morning and was greeted with the “Updating Progress” bug. Saw that there was an update, so I updated. Re-opened the app and after a prolonged “Downloading Assets” session, the app launched and I was greeted with the “Updating Progress” bug. Again. I closed the app and turned off wifi and the app launched! I harvested coins, collected my missions and then turned on wifi (with the app still open) and collected the additional keys, played a few nodes and used the doubler ads. Happy.

Played a “very easy” forest node with Energon Grimlock and watched in horror as he died while being pulmulled by multiple missiles, falling towers and walking mortar towers — all at the same time. The node ran like Grimlock was still a level 10. He was killed by a lava ball while he was transformed. Huh? Grimlock out ran the mortar tower but the lava followed him (grr ? that pisses me off) and killed him. Not happy.

jman
    @jman

I take that back.

Major issues today. Game crashes alot. During nodes, after nodes (at least I get coins and materials after crash), picking and finishing missions (again all items were recieved), on start up and just while collecting coins. What a bunch of crap. I shouldn’t have to restart the game 5 times just to collect coins and finish missions. And I shouldn’t have to restart like 7 times just to acknowledge upgrade is finish, every restart the animation would get a little further. I did a reboot after 3rd try…..no luck.

And what’s up with the medium nodes being super hard again. Too many walking mortar towers or shotgun pigs or both. Energon tfs die the quickest especially in the desert nodes but have had issue with all tfs on medium nodes. I can win all the hard nodes so far and can win most of very hard, sometimes have to play twice though.

I also noticed the audio isn’t as bright as it used to be and will change while doing different stuff while in app. For instance while finishing missions it will sound dull until your done with picking then will noticeably get brighter during their dance thing.

I don’t see how they can justify having such a high price for gems when you can’t even play half the time and the level of diffuclty isn’t set right.

Optimus_Pig
    @optimuspig

@jman

“If you read between the lines ….

He seems to suggezt that As a developer they are focusing on Ios9 which hasn’t been released and Android 5.1.1 which unless you have a newer device you aren’t getting. He also somewhat admits they have limited testing and depends on players to “testing” the updates to find problems.”

What I understand is that they’re using this as a rationale to excuse the all the ClusterFUBARs (my new favorite made-up word) that we’ve been experiencing.

Except of course, that the game has been out for close to a year now, and we’ve had massive bugginess since the beginning. Surely they can’t have been devoting most of their resources towards iOS 9 and Lollipop this entire time?

Why aren’t we experiencing the same magnitude and quantity of issues with other Rovio apps?

Why aren’t other app developers experiencing the same magnitude and quantity of issues as Rovio?

What’s more, using the player-base as their primary means to test the app is just poor business practice. If I relied upon my clients to find the errors in the work I do for them, I’d be shit-canned so fast I’d never stop spinning.

I’m not sure how in any universe this can possibly be considered an acceptable way of doing business.

jman
    @jman

@20qmindreader

@optimuspig

If I did “buisness” the way they do it I’d not only be fired but lose my state license and probably face jail time for endangering the health and general welfare of the people I serve (water treatment operator).

At least for now it seems some of the bugs have been taken care of and have only had crash on startup once. I’ve played alot of nodes without issue today……but they’ll probably tweek something and there will be new ones.

Just the fact that the game is almost a year old and there isn’t a endgame yet revealed says alot about how they work.

Collect gems while you can

wrw01
    @wrw01

@pampeans

Please go to the Forum titled “Update 1.6.28 for iOS”. I had the same problem as you and Rovio provided a solution that seems to have worked for the past day. I have not had the “Updating” bug since.

Optimus_Pig
    @optimuspig

@jman wrote:

“Just the fact that the game is almost a year old and there isn’t a endgame yet revealed says alot about how they work.”

There will never be an endgame, that much is apparent.

They’ll continue to add new nodes and additional TFs and increase the level cap to 20, then 25, etc. etc. and like sheep the player-base will just go along with it.

jman
    @jman

@optimuspig

I’ve been wondering what the next update would bring and wouldn’t be surprised if you are correct in your thinking. At some point I’ll have to find a different addictive game to bypass my time if they keep this up.

At least for now I can play nodes and not even worry about playing missions as the nodes give enough materials to keep the upgrade process going, eventually that will not be the case as my TFS get higher in rank but the process takes so long it’ll be awile.

jman
    @jman

I give up, just when you think it’s working something changes. Funny since gradient turtle said all the people are home this weekend in a different thread. Everything was working fine and now it crashes all the time.

Optimus_Pig
    @optimuspig

@jman

Ironically, Rovio is damn lucky they went to a free-to-download model.

No one would ever actually pay to downnload this app if they knew how buggy it was.

Then again, the F-T-D model is probably as much to blame for the bugginess as anything, as they no longer have a reason to release a complete quality product from the start – they can just fix and add things as they go.

wrw01
    @wrw01

@avip2u @mighty-red-1 @20qmindreader @jmam @optimuspig @sumitarora15 @gradientturtle7 @rumblebee

Well the “Updating” bug has hit me at least three times since the “fix” was presented in the note sent to me from Rovio Support. It does not work to eliminate the “Updating bug” problem as it was stated in their note. With the latest hit I lost 1,250 Pigs, 908,172 Coins, 1,203 Gems and, for the first time I noticed, 8 Rollout Miles in the Achievement Section. This fourth bug hit just adds to the previous three loses of items. So…enough of not having fun anymore.

The ABT game use to be fun to play but for the last 1.5 months it has been everything but fun and enjoyable with its bugs, flaws, and game play being halted by defects and this “Updating” bug. It is time to move away from this negativity that takes away one’s pigs, coins, gems, etc. I know I will miss playing this game each day. It was a great game! I hope they get it corrected in the right way so end players will not be defeated and discouraged.

Thanks to all above who helped make this game enjoyable, fun and interesting. I may have missed a bunch of folks to mention and I’m sorry.

Optimus_Pig
    @optimuspig

@wrw01

Take care, man.

I can definitely understand why you’re bailing, though.

I’m taking the cautious approach – haven’t played for over a week, but I’m “monitoring” the situation before deciding whether to start playing again or not.

Cheers.

wrw01
    @wrw01

Thanks @optimuspig @20qmindreader for the understanding. I will follow-up with this page and a few others for ABT but there will have to be a miracle from “above” to get me to play again.

What is sad is that I leave 203,387 pigs, 24,604,380 coins and 55,034 gems on the table. All my TF were level 15 and obtained 85/85 Achievements with 2536 rollout miles travelled. All these totals were even more with what I lost this morning and on the previous 3 hits. Oh well, it is what it is and we need not say anymore.

Loved playing the game! Will miss it tremendously! Wish the best to all the players who are stronger than I who can withstand these negative bugs and events and can endure to play more.

Maybe see you two flingers in another Forum or game.

Optimus_Pig
    @optimuspig

Holy smokes, that’s a lot of pigs/coins/gems.

I know it sucks to lose them to random bugs, but at least you didn’t actually need any since you’re already maxed-out at Rank 435.

It’s too bad there’s no way to share!

jman
    @jman

@wrw01

Totally get it. Each day it seems they change something. I can’t play nodes without crashing today if it has an intro video. I also unwillingly installed the latest update today to see if it fixed it……nope. I’m tired of the roller-coaster, one day it’s fine the next it isn’t.

Fyi I’ve been stuck at 1475 miles for the roll out achievement for a while. I also believe it was much higher at one point. I probably lost some during one of the times I had to play the tutorial to get my stuff back. Just don’t know when.

I’ve given up on support, no need for any snarky remarks from Joonas.

“Wish the best to all the players who are stronger than I who can withstand these negative bugs and events and can endure to play more.”

I’ve quit twice and came back….who’s the strong one.

Pampeans
    @pampeans

After getting the “downloading assets” screen on Friday, I have been unable to play the game because of the “updating progress” screen. Of course, after posting the technique on how to get around the screen, that process no longer works. I’m struck by how Rovio can arbitrarily and capriciously change the game to benefit themselves, so much so their support people don’t know how to play, yet they callously ignore the bugs and features that negatively affect user experience make the game unplayable for the fans.

wrw01
    @wrw01

@pampeans

I have encountered the same fate. The “Updating Progress…” bug hit my ABT last week and just got worse as the days went by. Now when I open the game, this “Updating Progress…” screen immediately comes up and I cannot get it to go away. I have tapped on the “check mark” over 50 times and it appears to be some sort of loop. I basically cannot get into the game to play even if I wanted too. I as well as a few others have lost coins, pigs, gems and miles (a new deletion as mentioned above) with the “Updating Progress…” bug.

I also agree that the solution Rovio Support-Joonas offered, does not work. I tried it last week twice and after the second time this “Updating Progress…” screen parked itself at the entrance of the game and will not let me in. So it resulted in the exact opposite fix from what it was intended.

I too had a full materials area-15 of 100 and 75 units and now they have been reduced to 15 units. Maybe preparation for an update.

I exited the game and will not go back to it until it is fixed. You are not alone in your frustration.

I as well as many others loved playing this game. It worked great for the first year or so. Had a few hiccups but overall it was great to play. Now I am in withdrawal and miss it.

@gradientturtle7

Optimus_Pig
    @optimuspig

I hadn’t encountered this in over a week, so I assumed that Rovio somehow fixed it.

Well I can say now that it’s baaaaaaaack!

Pampeans
    @pampeans

Nothing new here, nor did I expect there to be, so just an opportunity to vent. For the record there was no previous “point in time” where the numbers of coins, gems, pigs, miles, materials & turkeys that were subtracted would have made sense (i.e., 400 turkeys = hours ago, 200 gems = days ago, 2 million coins = weeks ago, empty silo = wth?!). Just sayin’…

Joonas (Rovio Entertainment Ltd)
    Dec 8, 09:52

Hello again,

My sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this issue has caused to you and to your gaming experience. We are currently working hard in order to get to the bottom of this issue and finally fix these nagging glitches that have been bothering you for quite some time now. I assure you that this is not intended behavior, our main motive is to make enjoyable games to our customers and not take away their hard-earned progress. This bug is one of our top priorities at the moment and we’ll do everything we can to fix this issue once and for all. Unfortunately I can’t give you an exact timetable for how long it’s going to take, but would it suit you that we contact you once the issue has been fixed?

Once again, my apologies for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Sincerely,

Joonas
    Rovio Support Team

Pampeans

Dec 4, 23:59

Joonas,

Please carefully reread my responses and you will note that I already told you I do not use Facebook, so again you are not actually offering me any help.

For the record, this is per one of the fan forums:

“Rovio’s logic for the cloud back-up of your game, includes a comparison of MATERIALS levels on your device vs. the cloud. This is a major flaw that causes many players to experience the “Updating Your Progress” bug, more affectionately known as “UYP yours”. This causes your game to be “reset back in time” and takes away intervening progress in gems, coins and pigs.”

A design flaw is not the same thing as a bug. Rovio is perfectly aware of what the code is doing and why it’s doing it. This code totally negates the whole reason for Cloud backup. If this was an actual bug, what does that say about Rovio allowing a bug to continue to exist for 8 months now after countless numbers of people have documented it’s occurrence?

If your mission is truly “user enjoyment of the gaming experience” then any circumstance (regardless of what you choose to call it be it design flaw or bug), that randomly steals a user’s achievements and has no solution for restoration defeats “your mission”. Further, you add insult to injury by continuing to roll out additional changes/updates while asking for users to spend money (despite this game having been advertised as free-to-play) without addressing this so-called “bug” that wastes a user’s time and resources.

Just my opinion and while I appreciate the opportunity to express my feelings, this is now a moot point as I no longer play the game.

Nov 27, 05:02

Hello again,

I’m terribly sorry that I missed the part about the ”updating progress’, my apologies! However, I’m very sorry to hear that you would think that we would insert some sort of a bug into our game on purpose. It is utmost important that our users are able to enjoy the gaming experience and we want to make it as smooth as possible and inserting a bug to the game on purpose would not help us to achieve our mission.

If you’d be willing to let us help you with this issue, we could try to do in order to fix your game is to restore your progress from a previous save point before your Transformers were affected by the progress loss. This will work if you have connected your game to your Facebook account prior to this incident. If you indeed have connected your game to your FB account, please get back to us with the email address associated with your Facebook account and we’ll see what we can do to restore your game.

My apologies for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

Sincerely,

Joonas
    Rovio Support Team

Pampeans

Nov 26, 23:59

Joonas,

If you read my note carefully, you will see that I did not get the “updating process” screen. However, it appears by your line of questioning that this is what has happened. I have to tell you that I believe Rovio has deliberately inserted the “updating process” code and this charade you continue to put on suggesting it’s some weird bug is dishonest, lacks integrity and is offensive. Therefore, I see no point in continuing to pursue this issue.

Nov 25, 14:27

Hello there,

we are terribly sorry to hear that you lost your turkeys like that! Unfortunately without a Facebook connection we are unable to restore your progress from a date when your progress was still intact, my apologies. We are currently looking into this problem and in order to dig into this issue completely, we would appreciate if you can provide us as much info from your game as possible. Please try to answer the majority of the following questions:

1) Is your device rooted/jailbroken?
    2) Have you used the pig’s lab recently to farm resources?
    3) Have you bought any accessories for your transformers?
    4) If this is possible, could we have a few screenshots showing the issue clearly? (screenshots from before and after your turkey amount decreased)
    5) What is the level of your silo?
    6) In what rank are you currently in the game?
    7) Were any of your characters upgrading when this “updating your progress” pop-up suddenly came up?

My apologies for any inconvenience this issue has caused. We really appreciate it if you can take the time and answer all these questions.

Best regards,

Joonas
    Rovio Support Team

Pampeans

Nov 24, 12:34

I do not use Facebook, however I was logged into Game Center.

Salla (Rovio Entertainment Ltd)
    Nov 24, 03:21

Hello there,

we are terribly sorry to hear that you have experienced such a major rollback in the game! Have you connected your game to Facebook? We might be able to restore your game progress from the backups but for that, we would need the email address you use to log into Facebook in order to track down your progress. Please get back to us with this address and we will do the best we can to restore your game.

Best regards,

Salla
    Rovio Support Team

Pampeans

Nov 23, 12:29

Launched ABT iOS 1.8.14.1 and the game progressed to the map, but then froze. The screen jumped and then reset the game (without the Updating Progress screen popping-up) emptying my silo, subtracting 2 million coins, 200 gems and over 400 turkeys. The contest shows me has having just achieved the hat, despite the fact that it took the gems. I can not tell you how frustrated I am. Please respond.

Home Forums Angry Birds Transformers Forum Screw this, Rovio – Update Progress Bug

Viewing 24 replies - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.