After much anticipation, Tiny Thief is now out for iOS and Android! This is the second game from Rovio’s publishing initiative, Rovio Stars, originally developed by a company called 5ants. This is a universal app that runs $2.99 USD.
The general gameplay is pretty straightforward, and the app itself does a fantastic job of introducing you to how it should go. Your scrawny hooded thief must navigate the level searching for a target item(s). The majority of the level is interactive, allowing him to climb ropes and ladders, open doors, hide behind bushes, and much much more. Work your way around the level, and avoid being seen by guards and the general public — you’re a wanted criminal, after all!
- The initial release features 30 pocket-stuffing levels in six different episodes! They unlock chronologically, though you must at least 1-star a level to move forward. (We will talk more about the stars below.)
- Over 30 interactive characters! Some are friends, some are foes. Some try to kidnap the princess! WHAT?!
- Hidden treasures! Collecting these can help you earn additional stars, though they can be very tricky at times.
- Book of Hints gives you step-by-step instructions on how to 3-star a given level. This feature, however, can only be used once every four hours. So either prepare yourself for a long wait or check out our walkthroughs — those have no time limits and they’re ALREADY LIVE! ;)
In any given level (except for the first episode), there are 3 stars, and thus 3 objectives. To get a better idea, see our video at the top of this page. It’s a quick walkthrough for the first five levels and summarizes these tasks quite clearly.
- Primary Objective: This is the middle star, but you must earn this star to move forward. At the opening of the level, an item is circled in white chalk. Occasionally, there are actually multiple things to obtain (such as 3 cakes instead of just 1). Obtaining these items and making your way safely to the exit will earn you the right to move on to the next level.
- Ferret Objective: This is the right star, but is a secondary objective. In each level, a curious sneaky ferret is poking around. When you see him poke is head out, tap on him (several times may be best) to set him free!
- Treasure Objective: There are hidden items in each level, between 1 and 4. How many you need to find is indicated by the number of silhouetted question marks above the left star. You can obtain them in any order you’d like in general, but some of them are pretty tricky to find! You can click on the treasure chest in the top-right corner of the episode selection screen to see what you’ve acquired.
We have decided to cover Tiny Thief right here on AngryBirdsNest.com. We seriously considered covering it on RocketPond.com; however, Rovio Stars games are part of the Rovio ecosystem, so it makes sense to cover them right here. Tiny Thief is actually really entertaining, really cute, and gets really challenging in the last few episodes. The hidden treasure items can drive you nuts, so our walkthroughs are available to help you out!
Suggestions, Bugs, and Miscellany
- The Book of Hints does a bit too much. Telling you exactly, step-by-step how to 3-star the level sort of takes away from the game. True, we essentially do exactly that, but the difference is that we aren’t available within the game itself. The time limit makes it better, but I think when you use the Book of Hints, you should only be able to ask about 1 of the 3 stars.
- A very minor thing: I’d like to see the level name without having to open the level. Maybe I’m being a bit nit-picky but I think there’s room.
- We’d love to hear your thoughts as well!