Using Matilda in arena

Home Forums Angry Birds Epic Forum Using Matilda in arena

• Does anyone have any good strategies on using Matilda in arena battles? After tweaking my arena line up to be able to win as efficiently as possible, I find that I no longer use Matilda (and Red) at all unless it is for a specific daily challenge.

Does anyone think that Rovio should do something to buff up Matilda (and Red) to be more inline with the other 3 birds for arena use?

I miss the days when my Witch Matilda smites the huge pig bosses to microscopic sizes. (and I’ll spend the next 5 mins rubbing the screen trying to get my bird’s attacks into the microscopic pig’s hit box)

On a side note, did anyone notice the new loading screen? Red now looks like a bully and it seems like someone had flatten Matilda’s face with a frying pan. New Chuck looks good though but I don’t really dig the new graphics overall.

Happy Playing guys!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Replies
  • GrauGeist
    @graugeist

Witch with Sweet! set is very strongly Arena competitive. She doesn’t need to hit anything. Just heal the banner for 5,000 each turn.

BirdkeeperCharlie
    @sifat-hossain

Matilda’s bard is good too. With sweet or nightmare she’s a good alternative to boomer.

Rovin
    @rovintan

well, at the level where I am playing, I get Valiant TJ/Resurrect opponents 80%-90% of the time. I either win or lose by turn 3 of every battle. There is not enough time to heal at all.

If I win the coin toss, I can usually wipe out all 3 of the opponents birds within turn 1 by using Chuck, Bomb and Blue combos. If I lose the coin toss, more often than not, my 3 birds gets KOed within turn 1 as well.

datguygamer
    @datguygamer

I personally use the Witch for healing effects and occasionally dealing some pain back.

JJAtelier
    @vinnieb00

Witch has pretty much thwarted the rest of Matilda’s classes and is pretty much the de facto go-to pick for Arena.

Before Witch even came out, I’d say Matilda was the worst bird to pick since nobody really valued the sustain by her unless you were playing Venomous. Matilda is fine, the Witch however is a beast of its own that might already be above the power curve considering healing for +4K is outrageously high. I would use her though I’m under the impression the class could get nerfed.

I’m surprised you don’t value Red as much considering how he has the highest health pool and deals a reasonable amount of damage via Dragon Breath while protecting the party with Pally/Samurai.

Rovin
    @rovintan

@vinnieb00
    Well, while Red has the highest health among the 5 birds, his damage output is the lowest among my birds. Chuck, Bomb and Blue all have higher base damage than Red while at the same time they are also able to dish out AOE damage. It just makes no sense for me to put Red in the line up. Even Matilda, primarily a healing bird has higher base damage than Red.

JJAtelier
    @vinnieb00

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Red has to have some form of weakness which is why majorly if not everybody uses the Dragon Set to compensate. If that’s the set your lacking then trust me… Red will be infinitely better in Arena.

Matilda lacks any tools to deal AoE unless paired with the correct banner so by your logic Matilda could arguably be worst.

datguygamer
    @datguygamer

@vinnieb00 I use the Banner Breaker in the Arena instead of Dragon.

Anonymous

@vinnieb00 @datguygamer Yeah Banner Breaker is definitely a nice alternative to Dragon not only because of the considerably high bonus damage but the Might the set gives as well. Very useful for those power teams.

Heck I even use Protecters Aura sometimes because I can tank so many hits while getting some good crits on the birds.

I’m not saying Dragon isn’t the best set through. Stat wise it’s obvious that Dragon wins.

GrauGeist
    @graugeist

The problem with Matilda is that Rovio deliberately nerfed her banner healing. Witch is the first of her classes that doesn’t have a huge nerf to the banner heals. I see this as a correction, rather than being OP. That’s why she’s finally getting played again.

Healing the banner doesn’t win battles. If Rovio nerfs Witch, she’ll be played even less. Which defeats the point of making her.

Dragon and Banner Breaker are *both* competitive sets for Arena.

Ryogo Kusama
    @ryogokusama

I want to add to what has already been said about Red, that his Dragon Set splash damage was nerfed a couple of patches before (Season 3-4 maybe?), but it’s still the set to use in Arena for Red imho.
    Before it was just a no-brainer, he was able to wipe out low health birds (Chuck/Blues) with one or two procs, using Samurai, or atleast heavily damage the enemy time in just one round.

JJAtelier
    @vinnieb00

@graugeist

Do you reckon the other Matilda classes need help? Because the way I see it, this sentence is always looming over my head.

“Is this class better than Witch to justify including into my team?”

GrauGeist
    @graugeist

Yes, I do. But not as much as some might suspect.

The thing is that Witch does that one really useful thing really, really well. You basically can’t screw up when you’re using her, and that’s a big plus if your key strategy is “don’t lose”.

The others are more problematic, for different reasons. It’s kind of hard to rebalance them when Witch is so focused and effective in what she does.

vyse12012
    @vyse12012

I love to use witch when I loose the coin toss against a Valiant / Time jump team.

With her healing ability, I’m able to come back and win most of the time.
    Also, it takes longuer, but it’s easier to get a 3 stars in that case (healing the banner each time)

But, if I want to do a lot of grinding, I switch her for blues
    Ma favorite combo is wizard / sea dog and / skulkers (when there’s no mana set) or Treasure Hunter with beep (if the opponent have the mana set)

Home Forums Angry Birds Epic Forum Using Matilda in arena

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.