PC/Mac versions may be on the way out.

Home Forums General Discussions Forum PC/Mac versions may be on the way out.

Viewing 15 replies - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Replies
  • burpie
    @burpie

@les-toreadors A great post, as always, and I agree that this would have been a suitable way to handle the PR. On a side note, what they did announce was better than nothing. At least PC/ Mac users know they needn’t expect anything anymore. On mobile platforms fans may still cling to a sliver of hope for new content… along with fans of Amazing Alex and The Croods.

@Waimea
    , I sent you a helpdesk PM :-)

Josm
    @josm

I just played around with some files.
    I never knew it was so easy, i just copied my highscores.lua, settings.lua and bi_data.lua files from my pc to my android device, and replaced it with the files on my android device. Its working, its even synced with my rovio account (angry birds original). even the flock favorite that was on my rovio account (and not on pc) was still there.
    Great!
    Now trying to do it with other apps (will make a backup for those file to be sure not losing anything)

Kelani
    @kelani

Awesome, glad to know it worked well. I’m going to try to make a tutorial this weekend.

Les Toreadors
    @les-toreadors

@burpie – Yeah I guess the ‘corporate policy’ in place @ Community doesn’t allow them to engage with people more directly, or to take a more proactive stance in massed communications. There are just about two styles of MC I notice throughout my working life.

One is about engaging people up front and controlling expectations by quality active initiatives. (aka, for instance by saying thank you to avoid a “dead and silent” ending)

The other involves saying as little as possible to reduce liability.

To be fair Option Two is far easier to manage and doesn’t create issues of occasional drama. But it’s less “professional”, so to speak.

And Option One generally requires a mature playerbase/community to work right. If 99% of comments on Rovio Facebook pages involve asking for updates 2 hours after one has just been released, then that might be the reason why the less risky strategy was chosen. Rovio knows what they’re doing, that much is obvious, and they’re usually months or years ahead of what we know from rumors and filtered down information. I’m just trying to point out it’s not necessary to impose an information embargo when there are people and communities out there (like the good folk at ABN) who manage consumer expectations within their own following. More news is better than no news and then a cover-up semi-automated copy/paste reply.

Desperate Dan
    @desperate-dan

Very disappointed – feels like I’ve wasted my time

Kewpie
    @kewpie

If PC versions are on the way out, so am I.

Angry Birds has been great, but powerups, spinoffs, merchandise and all the rest of the junk leave me cold. Having 3-starred all the ABO, ABS and Rio product, and not being interested in being advertised to, there’s no point in me hanging around any longer. Android’s buried in ads (even after paying to get rid of them) and not worth the effort, wish Mr Google had a “pay for no ads” option.
    Bye folks. I’ve had more than my money’s worth – the whole $25 I paid gave me years of pleasure – and now I’ll go look for some other company who’s producing what I want.

Barbbjb
    @barbbjb

@Kewpie, I’m also looking for another place to land. if you find another game I’d sure like to know whate it is. Please keep us updated.

Barbbjb

TriPolar
    @tripolar

Hi all,
    I just found this thread while looking for something else.
    Because of my addiction and love for these games I ended up buying an android tablet. I would have much preferred to have a windows device instead.

I’ve had a windows phone for the past couple of years. Without a rovio account I got burnt each time I got a new phone.

Currently… In the WP Store (8.1) most of the AB games are there with the exception of Transformer’s. With the exception of today’s update to ABGo it is up to date completely. Correct me if I’m wrong, wasn’t ABGo first released on WP??

I’m presuming that this anti-desktop (or laptop) is just a phase until Win 10. As noted previously by other’s. Win10 will be the same across all devices…Phone, Tablet & Desktop/Laptop. In which case if it’s still available later on, in WPstore, it will be available for all. I think that they will still market it as a mobile game but it would be playable otherwise as well.

Just thinking about the not so far future. If Rovio decides to not work with windows, it will be a big blow to them. It seems like windows tablet are ahead of the competition and growing fast in usership, as are windows phones. Which would then mean the other systems should be strinking.

As a former PC modder, I know a lot of the game makers get upset when we “show them up” by making things better (ex. Graphics) and expanding the scope of the games. There are a few game maker’s that appreciate the work of modders because modders push the boundaries of the the machines and show what the game is actually capable of doing. Modders doing have to worry about the overall acceptance and usability of the masses to generate revenue. We do what we want, when we want, as we want. It also takes the company off the hook for any type of support issues if you’re game is modified. Which also saves them money. With the AB community being as big as it is, Rovio should see this as a plus. Hacking and Cheats on the other hand, is a totally different thing. I’m happy that Rovio has (appeared to) worked on cutting that down.

My main point here is that support and games are still available in the widows phone store and for the most part, they are up-to-date. There are some difference between the versions. I would not say that it’s enough to really make a fuss over. The one thing that I would make noise about is the lack of a Rovio account to backup progress. Then again, that is also something that we can do ourselves (with community help). Whether or not they would be happy about that, would be for them to say.

Barbbjb
    @barbbjb

I need a PC-er’s help. Tomorrow I have to do an OS reinstall but luckiy I have a Dell Tech that will be doing this remotely. Since none of us will be able to get any more AB games or updates I really, really don’t want to lose my old games. I wrote yesterday asking how to back up my games and Slim very kindly replied to “ …. save your existing .exe installation files and backup/transfer your .lua files.”

The Dell tech was on my computer and tried to find these but was couldn’t so he asked me to please come back on the forum and ask for the path to these files especially the .exe. Could someone please tell me so I can tell him tomorrow.

I would be heartsick to lose all these games and would appreciate any help you could give me.

If it makes a difference I’m on a Dell laptop, Windows 7, IE.

Thanks so much,

Barbbjb

Kelani
    @kelani

@barbbjb Don’t worry, it’s pretty easy to save those data files.

On Windows 7, they are located here:

C:\Users\[Your username]\AppData\Roaming\Rovio

Each game you’ve installed creates a subfolder with that game’s title in the Rovio folder. Your data files are in each of those subfolders. Note: Some of those subfolders may also have subfolders inside them. It shouldnt’ matter, but when copying, make sure you get those too, just to be safe.

Now for the game installers, they are here:

C:\Users\[Your username]\AppData\Roaming\Rovio Entertainment Ltd

Again, each game has its own folder, and the installer will be nested a few subfolders down, ex:

C:\Users\[Your username]\AppData\Roaming\Rovio Entertainment Ltd\Angry Birds 4.0.0\installBBDA25\AngryBirdsClassic_4.0.0_PRODUCTIONCLOUD_rovio_DISTRIBUTION.msi

AngryBirdsClassic_4.0.0_PRODUCTIONCLOUD_rovio_DISTRIBUTION.msi is the Angry Birds 4.0.0 installer. You should be able to double-click that to run setup. It may reinstall, or if the game is properly installed, recreate the game icons on your desktop/start menu.

So, just have the tech copy the entire contents of both Rovio and Rovio Entertainment Ltd. folders somewhere safe. The OS reinstall may make your computer “forget” the games are installed, but shouldn’t harm your data files. If it does, just copy both folders into the identical location, and overwrite any existing contents.

let me know if any of that’s confusing. Good luck! :)

Barbbjb
    @barbbjb

Oh Kelani, thank you so much. I’m sure the tech will be able to follow these directions and all will be right with my world again. Needless to say I just didn’t want to say good bye to these wonderful games which would have happened if I don’t get them saved. Loved my time here, and hate to see it all end.

Thanks again for all your help.

Barbbjb

Barbbjb
    @barbbjb

#Kelani,

One more thing and this is embarrassing—–not sure I even know what my “User name” is. I’ve been playing these games for so long without having to enter any info. Is it listed somewhere? I mean I know here it’s Barbbjb, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t use that for the games.

Hanging head in shame,

Barbbjb

Barbbjb
    @barbbjb

Never mind—just getting a little panicked, and not thinking rationally. I thought you were talking about the playing the game and using a name.

Barbbjb

Kelani
    @kelani

@barbbjb No need to hang your head. I just wasn’t clear about it :) Yes, I meant your Windows username. If you go to C:\Users you should see a list of folders, one for each user that has an account on that computer. Mine has:

Administrator
    All Users (shortcut)
    Default User (shortcut)
    Kelani
    Public

So, the folder I’d use is Kelani. :)

Home Forums General Discussions Forum PC/Mac versions may be on the way out.

Viewing 15 replies - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.