How to Detect Cheaters

Home Forums Angry Birds Friends Forum How to Detect Cheaters

• As Nesters, we are on the honor system and responsible for posting honest scores. On occasion, however, you may discover a possible cheater. Here are some techniques and “tests” to single out suspected cheaters:

A person may be posting false scores if:
    –they’re new to the Nest
    –have no picture or icon other than the default
    –have incomplete profile info or none at all
    –have little or no prior history of ABF scores in previous weeks, or no history of having played other AB games on the Nest
    –rarely, if ever, participate in the posts/comments sections under each level
    –rarely, if ever, share strats, pictures, screenshots, or videos
    –exhibit defiance if their scores are ever questioned by another Nester or moderator
    –show no understanding of ABF abbreviations or vocabulary
    –use foul language
    –have lower scoring history in previous weeks, then suddenly jump into the top 10 or top 5
    –may claim lower than top score per level, but when all levels are totaled they suddenly appear #1 for the week, all levels combined
    –at the last minute before a weekly tournament ends, they suddenly post top scores

Another kind a cheater is more sophisticated and probably much more experienced. They are “affectionately” called those of “The Thax Kind.” They are also sometimes referred to as “Thaxers.” Such cheaters are using an add-on extension to the Firefox browser. The hack software is called Leethax. It works like this:

For a monthly fee paid to Leethax in violation of Rovio’s copyright, such cheaters have the ability to use unlimited power-ups. This can result in artificially super-high scores. It is blatant cheating and absolutely forbidden on the Nest. Here are some techniques and “tests” to help determine if a player is using Leethax:

–scores are unreasonably high, often by several k-points above the rest of the honest top players scores
    –if a screenshot, picture, or video is supplied as “proof,” the PUs are blurred out or blocked (masked) altogether
    –no bird-by-bird explanation of strat is posted
    –if more than one Wingman or Power Potion (formerly called Super Seeds) is used in a single level
    –if Birdquake is used more than once in a single level
    –if Sling Scope is used more than once in a single level
    –if more than two power-ups are used in a single level
    –if all these tests and checks are obvious, and, when questioned, they deny using FireFox browser
    –exhibit defiance when questioned by another Nester or moderator
    –repeated attempts to befriend you on the Nest
    –switch user names on the Nest frequently

If you suspect cheaters of any kind, simply flag them. Flagging will alert the moderator to potential cheaters who post fake scores or who are using Leethax hack software. Refrain from contacting any moderator or Bird Leader directly. They’re already too busy with other things. The first line of defense against cheaters is you. Simply report them by flagging the offenders. Do this frequently and you may be nominated for the Leaderboard Guardian badge on the Nest :)

To flag offenders, go to your leaderboard page where you post your scores. Click the link on the left for each level to view the list of players’ scores. Locate the offenders in question and click on the little flag icon on the far right. You will be asked to confirm. Click “yes” or “confirm.” A moderator will review and take action either by contacting the offender directly or simply by deleting the offending scores. Avoid direct confrontation with suspected cheaters.

Feel free to post your own techniques of detecting cheaters here, or feel free to list names of those who you suspect to be cheaters. Alert all of us so we can be on guard, too.

–MB :)

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Replies
  • surfcow
    @surfcow

Dear Mr. Bakin,
    First off, I love your new username and avatar. Very clean and crisp(y) – definitely how I like my pork. As to your comments, I appreciate your effort in putting forth this thoughtful treatise on how we can separate the wheat from the chaff here at ABN. With more than 60,000 registered members from around the globe, this site is sure to have its share of scalawags. The big question is whether it’s worth the time and effort to challenge and identify those suspected of cheating or even “inflating their scores a bit to impress those neighbors across the street they’ve never met in person but wow that BMW in their driveway is super cool.” I don’t know the answer. But here are some suggestions to get the ball rolling:
    1. Ask admins to “auto-flag” all Top Scores that are 10% above the number two score.
    2. Propose a new badge: The Scarlet Letter for any member suspected of cheating, as nominated and voted by peers, in the Badges and Ranks group. Of course, this badge’s icon would be a large, red “C” on a white background. Simple, yet effective, don’t you think?
    3. Ban all Cheaters from the Bloated Pig. They should be given the opportunity to create their own hangout at the site. May I suggest “Bird Brains” or maybe just “Liars, Cheats and Scalawags Only.” I’m sure they will pick a great name; cheaters might not ever prosper but they sure can get creative!
    4. Assume everyone is a cheater until they can prove their innocence. Sure, it may put off a few thousand potential members but once a new member has passed the ABN Official Gauntlet of Integrity Daily Challenge, imagine how relaxed and excited they’ll be to share their strategies with the rest of us honest folk?

I admit that this is a short list of ideas, but I’m hoping others will chime in with their two cents worth (and actually fork over a couple of pennies) because I know there are others eager to contribute and therefore cross off the “rarely replies to forum posts on topics other than contests and bug reports” item that would otherwise flag their aberrant behavior.

Thank you again, Makin. You’ve always been a solid contributor on the Nest and a true friend to me. And I’m not just saying that to avoid a Scarlet Letter Badge nomination from you in the near future. I really mean it.

Sincerely, your friend and former neighbor in sunny Southern California, Surfcow***

*** For the record, I’ve never changed my screen/username in more than three years on this site. Just saying. In case anyone was wondering. Aloha.

bambenio
    @bambenio

i guess if u have to pay to join that will get
    some cheaters gone
    but if lance armstrong could fool the world
    it will be hard to catch them here
    i think all new players should at least post how they
    got the scores and a pic at least

i dont play as much sny more because of the cheaters
    thats why scores are just ok
    bam

Terribletom
    @terribletom

I have been playing the “Seasons” themes because of that specific reason @bambenio. No P/U’s allowed. Scores seem more realistic. Strategies are shared/commented on, and without Cheats!!

bambenio
    @bambenio

yup i understand p/u
    rovio maiking money
    but like the levels without makes u try harder
    bam

Congo
    @congo

Many of us belong to a FB group where this is systematically checked. How? Very easy! You want to have a crown? Provide a picture or video! It’s dead easy so there is no excuse for not doing it. No need to provide proof if it’s not a high score, so only the top players are expected to do so. Even if it has not been possible to implement here, you easily get a sense of the legitimacy of a score.

burbman
    @burbman

Has there been a recent surge in cheating that I haven’t noticed? Maybe it is just the ABF weekly leaderboards. I usually play straight up, but on occasion will cash in my birdcoins for a batch of power ups, and those weeks my scores and rank will look pretty out of place in comparison to the whole. I don’t think my phone has the ability to record video, so if I ever happen to get a top score by mistake, please do not assume I cheated.

sal9
    @sal9

@burbman You’re a certified nester ;) No worries.

Makin Bakin
    @dseufert

As Congo mentioned, on our FB group of “friends,” the player with highest score per level MUST provide a screenshot, picture, video, or least a screenshot of all six levels scores on the ABF summary page BEFORE the weekly tournament ends. If not, those scores are auto-deleted. Quite simple, really. Many of us veteran Nesters have been doing this anyway on the Nest, or we “friends” know who’s who and rarely question each other’s scores. Besides, their scores show up on our personal list of FB “friends.”

I know that @birdleader and @sal9 and probably others are working on this issue, soon to be released to “certified” Nesters. Stay tuned! –MB :)

Makin Bakin
    @dseufert

@bobafett While you’ve been “away,” there’s been this Pakistani “kid,” a Thaxer, who has been changing names regularly on the Nest in an effort to be one of us in disguise. I wrote you recently about him. At one time, he used a very slight misspelling of your alias, spelled “BobaFeeT.” This may have created some confusion and your genuine scores deleted by mistake. Most of us veterans on both Nest and FB are aware of him. He’s a 15yo kid–maybe–who shares ABF with his big brother–maybe. A Thaxer, for sure. His real name–maybe–is Aamish Majeed, or something similar with Aamish in it. He’s either a very naive kid, not knowing that his “big brother” is a Thaxer and cheat, or he’s a very clever Interpol, FBI, or NSA agent, pretending to be a 15yo, to ferret out the e-perverts. In any case, “Danger, danger! Will Robinson!” Just ignore :)

Terribletom
    @terribletom

@dseufert, This youngster has used many alias. He used a modification of my username, as well as Slim’s. He’s been around awhile!! We know @bobafett scores are legit!! Seen many an amazing video!!

Terribletom
    @terribletom

@dseufert I think this person is back, now as “Bobby WRB”!!! Just my gut feeling. He has requested friends ALL with top scores, and his Country is Canada!! Keep an eye peeled!!

Makin Bakin
    @dseufert

I wrote him a note on FB and addressed him as “Majeed.” Haven’t heard back from him yet :)

Makin Bakin
    @dseufert

Without naming names ;)

Bobby WRB is probably the same as Aamish Majeed or Othie Gurgmani. Aka “@” lovelygomaa

ALYOURPAL is also suspect, as are sami777 and Subrat. FYI…

If any Nester, new or veteran, is that “experienced” and knowledgable to be able to achieve top score on any AB level, with or w/out PUs, then they can surely know how to make/upload a simple screenshot as “first proof.” Quite simple.

PiggySue
    @piggysue

Hey everyone!
    I understand how hard it is to keep this place free of cheaters, but the way things are at the moment, honest players might get affected as well. Here’s my story.
    I somehow managed (nothing to brag about really – no strategy at all, slow week at work + pure luck) to get top scores in 2 levels for last week’s tournament (Week 118), but didn’t bother to post screenshots thinking that, since it’s not my first day here, I’m trustworthy enough. Now I see that my scores from this tournament are wiped out without a single word of warning. My bad, I should’ve taken the screenshots, but I think it woud be nice if, before just going ahead and deleting someone’s scores, some kind of an automated message was sent out saying that, unless you’re one of the well-known nesters’ “elite”, proving that your scores are legit are an absolute must, otherwise they are going to get deleted or smth like that. Or maybe it’s a good idea to put it in the “How to Enter Your Scores” section for naive guys n girls like me, who think that just not cheating is enough.
    (I also wish Rovio could make it possible for us to see our previous tounament results but that’s another story.)

Makin Bakin
    @dseufert

Good points, @piggysue I’ll pass along your comments to @admins

Last week ABF tourney was unusual with cannons on every level. As you mentioned, more luck was probably involved than skill. Hard to explain any strat via text let alone make sense in a screenshot. Videos were good, but the levels were so random, it was hard to replicate any one particular strat even with a video walkthrough! When the cannons come out, then just as quickly other Nesters score very well, those who are not normally “known” for being in the top 10 or 20 each week, especially those who prefer to play with no power ups.

To my limited knowledge, all scores posted on the Nest are recorded: points and time of entry. I have a hunch your scores may be reinstated upon appeal to the current ABF moderator, @sal9

Also, if you’re interested, many of us “veteran” ABF Nesters are friends on Facebook, too. If you want, look me up on FB, Makin Bakin, and send me a private message telling me who you are (PiggySue) on the Nest. I will send you a friend request on FB. (You cannot send me a friend request directly unless we already share at least one friend in common on FB). Once we’re friends on FB, then there’s little doubt about your scores because we can all see without need for proof via screenshot or video unless you’re claiming top spot, in which case, a simple screenshot of your summary score page may suffice as “proof.” Lemme know :)

Thanks for your comments, Sue. They are sincerely appreciated!

As @estar would say, let’s continue to kick some bacon behind!

sal9
    @sal9

Hmm … strange @piggysue Given the unusual tournament last week, we did not remove any scores.

Let me look into that, sorry for the inconvenience.

cc: @dseufert

edit: I just checked, you haven’t entered any scores last week (118)

PiggySue
    @piggysue

Thank you for your support, @dseufert and @sal9 !
    As long as my post above helps others just in case it happens to them, it’s totally ok that my scores are missing (they don’t reflect my AB skills anyway – I’m a pretty average player), but it’s weird that there’s no record. Some kind of a glitch maybe?

PiggySue
    @piggysue

@sal9 Well, it happened again. 1st place score not saved.
    This time I do have a screenshot though. (Guess I had to take another one after submitting my scores.)
    Week 123

sal9
    @sal9

@piggysue Let me look into this. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hiwaystar
    @enauman

how does one post a screen shot? How are the walkthroughs recorded? I would like to begin recording my games as proof of scores. Thank you

josephine
    @josephine

@dseufert Maybe a little too late, but today I stumbled upon your ‘finding cheaters’ comment.
    I have my own checklist, it pretty much looks like yours. A red flag for me is not sharing the strategy or joy when posting a topscore. An exception for me on this rule is when it’s a well known player. I also check to number of postings on their leaderboards and it is easy if someone has only posted that 1 (or perhaps 2) high score.

What I find difficult is when someone has posted not all but let’s say 50% of the scores throughout several leaderboards. What if they just got lucky but stopped playing? Especially in the older games there are unknown names with (questionable?) scores in the top 50. Sometimes I don’t flag scores like these because I’m not sure if I have flagged them before and if they are already checked and I don’t want to notify the admins if not necessary. So what do you do in situations like that?

goleafsgo
    @ron-ritchie-3152

Honestly I don’t consider it cheating..I had to setup a second fb account.. one to play “normal” and one to play with “Lethax” on fire fox..Here’s the reason behind this..All my frends play what they call hyper and use Leethax. So naturally so do I. I also play “normal” on a seperate account..So depending on who you like to play and actually want to compete with your left with no other choice..This is why I play both..By the way Leethax is free we dont have to pay to use it at all..

mm
    @martin-mix-9

I kind of feel bad here. I meet a lot of Makin’s criteria for a cheater. I’m new here, haven’t posted a lot, don’t have an icon next to my name (I’ll try to change that here momentarily), didn’t even understand the green and red arrows in ABF until a couple days ago and have never posted a screen-shot or video (honestly, I’m probably not savvy enough yet to do this, but I’ll probably learn).
    That all being said, I am not a cheater, just kind of a noob. I did benefit from a glitch on my mobile device yesterday where I kept earning coins every time I went to the main page. Aside from that, I’m pretty clean. I definitely have no interest in a Leethax program. Whether it costs money or not, even if I wanted the advantages, I’d just be scared it’d infect my computer with something I don’t want.
    Seriously, though, the group has been great to me so far and I’m not looking for much beyond good conversation, the occasional advice on gameplay, and maybe eventually some folks to friend on FB to join up with.
    Until then, glad to be a part of the Nest.
    All the best,
    –mm

Home Forums Angry Birds Friends Forum How to Detect Cheaters

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.