Angry Birds CEO: "Piracy May Not Be A Bad Thing"
  • A headline from this consumerist article: http://con.st/10026993

Interesting take on the piracy issue.
  • 3 Comments
  • Can't totally agree. Piracy generally means you are violating someone's copyright. Although copyright laws in the US have morphed to provide an unreasonably long stream of money to the copyright holder, frequently huge corporations, they do still protect the rights of the truly creative "starving artists." It's hard enough being a starving artist without having your creations ripped off by someone.
  • I think there is a degree of truth to the claim. Of course, no software company would survive with full-fledged piracy in place. But his comparison to the music industry is perfectly legitimate. The point being: Fighting piracy is one thing, but SOPA and PIPA are far too extreme.
  • This proves that there are two sides to any argument. From Rovio's perspective I would tend to agree, but if I approach this as a small business owner piracy or copyright infringement without proper attribution is definitely not good. A copyright is only as good as your ability to defend it. When you're a company with deep pockets and vast legal team defending your copyrights is a manageable task (not saying it's easy). We create unique content here on ABN, which in turn gets scraped (copied) onto other sites without our permission. There is little recourse for us, which is frustrating, especially when search engines like Google recognize the scraped content over the original. I'm going to stop myself here, as no one wants to hear my rants about this.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!