Smash Maniac is bugged (Rovio answered my email) Page 2
  • 113 Comments
  • lol maybe rovio got it wrong and it's not 500K but 5M ... sure does look like it. :)
  • 58/59 achievements. Where's my smash maniac!!! Anyone got it recently who's been waiting ages??
  • how is the situation now? from what i´ve heard there is no bug, but how long did u guys play to get it? can i say that when i have all stars, that i should have smashed 500.000 blocks?
    do those blocks count that i smash when it says `level failed´? do the blocks count that the mighty eagle smashes? please help its my last achievement!!
  • Your expectation is not realistic. Getting 3-stars on all levels may put you half way there most users report about 1 year.

Blocks count even if you fail a level, and even if you restart a level we think. Mighty Eagle probably does not count. That's just kinda unfair, just like you can't get a golden egg with the Eagle.

I've been playing for almost a year and it's the only achievement I don't have, but I think I'm still shy of the threshold. On the other hand, Fuji does all our videos and I don't think he has it either. But some newer users have received it.
  • Do you know if there is sthg planed where you can see how many percent you already have, just as it is in some other games? This would be very useful!
    Another question how do you make your videos? I have a jailbroken ipod and there is a program for it, but it doesnt work! Any tips?
  • One more question about this achievement. Do you receive credit for smashed blocks only if you are actively connected to the internet? Or do they get logged when not currently connected as well?
  • @Andreas189 The counter has been tossed around in a few forms (some as a percentage counter within GameCenter such as Fragger; some as an in-game statistics page) but we haven't heard anything from Rovio.

@Bill We would assume it is stored in-house, regardless of your Internet connection, but that has never been confirmed.
  • Has anyone noticed that the picture for Block Smasher in Crystal is not the same as in the Game Centre. The picture for Block Smasher in Game Centre is the same as Smash Maniac in Crystal. What do you think the significance of this is?
  • Yes, I'm still trying to smash 500K blocks... I've been doing some calculations and I think egg-14 is the fastest way to rack up blocks:

egg-14 = 185 blocks/minute (32 games x 58 blocks / 10 minutes)
    egg-16 = 160 blocks/minute (31 games x 52 blocks / 10 minutes)
    egg-18 = 102 blocks/minute (17 games x 60 blocks / 10 minutes)

All values assume waiting until the complete/fail screen to start the next game. I'm not trying to rack up the most blocks per minute, rather simulate what I typically do while watching TV.

So I figure I've got at least 200K blocks from playing the game (120 hours X 30 BpM). That's a really conservative estimate on the number of hours I've played. I've played about 8 hours of egg-18 = 48K; 2 hours of egg-16 = 19K; and 8 hours of egg-14 = 88K. For a grand total of 355K (probably more).

I'll keep posting hours played as I go along.
  • It turns out I was only about 16,000 blocks away from Smash Maniac when I wrote the previous post. It only took another 90 minutes to get it. Apparently I had about 330,000 from normal game play.

So it is achievable. Good luck with your quest.
  • So let me get this straight...with Smash Maniac, even though is says BLOCKS (when I see that, I think of blocks of stone), smashing wood also inclusive? What about the glass?
  • Wood, glass, and stone are all blocks. Smash maniac is indifferent.
  • So ddudley did you get Smash Maniac?
  • If that is the case, wouldn't having a good glass structure with some blue birds get you there faster?
  • Yes, I got Smash Maniac yesterday, finally.
  • I just got the Smash Maniac too. It was just playing Egg-14 for hours. I'm not so sure that there is a glitch or that we just underestimate how big 500,000 really is. By my "guesstimate" I spent about 20 hours (20 very boring, repetitive hours) on Egg-14 to get this, so it seems to be very doable.
  • I know that there are those that have received this achievement, but this HAS to be bugged somehow...I got the 50K achievement within a couple of days, and now that I have gone through and not only got three stars on all levels but played each level EXTENSIVELY trying to maximize my points, plus spent 10 hours watching football doing it over and over on Golden Egg 14, there is no doubt in my mind that I've got WELL more than 500K. If I got 50K in 3-4 days, extrapolation would put 500K in say 40 days or so...I've been playing hours a day on end in my free time for well over 6 months, so 500K should've been achieved many times over by now for me. Can someone who has the ears of the developers try to find out something definitive and under what circumstances the achievement is actually rewarded? TIA
  • OK...this is not exactly the Smash Maniac bug, but I just experienced what may be another bug in and of itself and may demonstrate why the Smash Maniac is not obtained by those that prob feel they should have it by now (myself included) and cause the Smash Maniac achievement to be bugged.

OK..let me set this up for you. I recently completed Angry Birds original. I first went through every level (except 17, as it was not released yet) and was simply happy complete it. Once completing levels 1 through 16, I got the bug (competitive bug from family members) and decided to three star every level. I Just completed all 17 levels (having to go back and redo every level previously) and doing every level NUMEROUS times to achieve the highest score that I could. Along the way, I grabbed all the Golden Eggs and got all of the achievements (with the exception of the Smash Maniac). So here I stand at 58/59 achievements. I am now going back through the Golden Eggs to maximize my scores on ones that apply (to beat my friends and family on them).

While going through and replaying these Golden Egg levels, I am inundated with pop-ups that I have now qualified to certain achievements, including completing a certain world (don't remember which one), three starring a certain episode, and even backward compatibility, although I have LONG since achieved each and every one of those, and in the case of backward compatibility, I haven't thrown a bird backwards since completing a level in Angry Birds that requires you to throw the boomerang bird backwards (don't remember the level number).

It's as if all of my achievements have been wiped out or not recognized. My hunch is that looking into this may resolve what appears to be called by some as the SMASH MANIAC NOT BEING RECOGNIZED bug, since it is the one that takes quite a while to establish.
  • Just FYI for everyone who hasn't gotten it yet...

If you figure an average of 30 blocks per minute, it will take around 280 hours of normal game play to smash 500,000 blocks.
  • Just got this today after ~30 hours of Golden Egg-14 (that is on top of every other achievement in the game and countless hours trying to better my scores). I honestly thought I should have had this eons ago. I think an over-estimation of just how many blocks one has smashed coupled with an under-appreciation for how many blocks 500,000 actually is leads most people throwing their arms up in the air and yelling "FARK THIS STUPID ACHIEVEMENT MUST BE BUGGED!".

I think the fact that game center was only introduced with patch 1.4.2 at the end of September last year (along with world 10 I think it was) also leads some of the original angry birds players to think they have broken way more blacks than they needed to, probably because they have. It would be interesting to know if their were direct equivalents in crystal (or whatever other achievement tracker was around pre game center) before it was ported over to game center? It is also possible that it was bugged before the transfer, that the transfer reset progress or that it was bugged for a while after conversion. This is merely speculation though. There seems to be mixed confirmation and denial that this achievement is possible with every single patch that comes out. What I seem to be able to garner from all the responses from Rovio is that it indeed did seem to be bugged for a while there but in more recent times it has been confirmed, or at the very least not denied, that there isn't a problem with the achievement and that I think a lot of people have just lost heart when it comes to this one. Also I appreciated that pouring a couple of days of constant play time into one achievement isn't everyone's cup of tea. The motivation levels are even lower when there is the prospect of not actually getting the damn achievement after all of your hard work.

Anyways I was playing on an iOS device, iPhone to be precise. I know for a fact that it is, at the very least, possible on that device at the present moment in time (normal AB not HD).
  • Here's my take on the issue. I firmly believe that the SMASH MANIAC in and of itself is NOT bugged. However, what is bugged is that there are times and circumstances where the counter for this (and many other items) is lost/reset/wiped out, such as during a program crash. This would explain those loosing access to Golden Eggs, Facebook levels, Mooncakes, Mighty Eagle, and other items of achievement (all of the above has happened to me, some several times, and has happened many times to other users to varying degrees. Just search the Internet for such, and you'll find several instances, not just on this board). It would also explain why I am getting awarded achievements AGAIN after having achieved them LONG ago playing the same game on the same device, and not uninstalling and reinstalling. Since 500K is such a large number, this is the one where even an occasional crash can extend the awarding of this achievement to near impossibility, and why it appears "bugged".
  • @heathen While it is possible that app crashes will corrupt your settings.lua and/or highscores.lua files, Smash Maniac is indeed bugged in some sort of way. I have said that exactly how is unclear.

The leading example of that is FujiToast. He makes all the videos here (both 3-stars and feathers), has been playing since Dec. '09 when the game launched (before GameCenter existed), and has not received the achievement.

I believe the achievement is NOT bugged for users who started post-GameCenter inception -- rather, 500k is just a lot more than people think. But for the pre-GameCenter players, I think there is definitely an issue.
  • I know you said it was bugged, but unclear how. However, there is conflicting reports from people receiving word from Rovio if it's bugged vs not, so it's hard to pinpoint if it is actually bugged or not. Like I said, I don't think SMASH MANIAC is bugged in and of itself. I do think that it's simply a byproduct of another issue which causes a corrupt highscores.lua file, or possibly missing or deleted info from the same file. [See my above posting.]

With regards to your assertion that 500K is a lot more than people think, I disagree. I think it's LESS than you think it is, not more. I base this upon getting 5000 achievement in 3-4 days starting from level 1-1, when the number of blocks per level is minimal when compared to the higher levels. Like I said, I do each level NUMEROUS times (my scores beating FujiToast can attest to that), so I was able to get 5000 in no time with those levels with just those few blocks per level in the beginning (I would complete prob 2-3 levels in a day, so that would put me at 5000 around level 10-12 on average). With the much higher block count per level on higher levels, coupled with the vast number of levels compared to the first 10 or so in Poached Eggs which got me my 5000 achievement, and the actual number of times I would repeatedly redo a level, the time difference between the two achievements should not be that great for me, especially when you throw in two Sundays of 8 hours a piece of doing Golden Egg 14 over and over and over again while watching football.
  • I just had a correspondence with a member of the Rovio team and they are looking into things. They are looking into the problem and it is entirely possible that corrupt lua files could cause a counter to restart. I think that is entirely possible for the long-time players, including myself. I also got some questions answered about a few game mechanics!

1. It's now OFFICIALLY confirmed that blocks in golden egg levels DO count towards smash maniac.
    2. Blocks are counted imediately and the level does NOT have to finish first
    3. Blocks smashed AFTER the release of the Mighty Eagle sardine can do not count but those before do.
    4. Only regular block-type objects count as blocks (all sizes and shapes of wood, rock, ice/glass). Other things, for example pigs, balloons, rubber ducks, TNT crates, etc. don't.

Also on a different note, It looks like Rovio is also undecided on the glass vs ice debate, as the employee I was in contact with specifically wrote "ice/glass".
  • Well, they have two of my files...before and after a crash. I would hope that they would look at those, as I have detailed specifically what the deal is and what I can see was lost (can't tell achievements since they are not revealed outright).
  • Just read your update, which you posted after my last post. Looks like my two files can be of great use to them with regards to resetting counters for achievements, which personally I think is happening based upon observations of what I am experiencing. I hope that they are able to find them useful and fix this issue.
  • What was your original ticket number? Will see if someone can individually investigate that.

I think we can conclude that there isn't really anything (in general) that needs to be fixed. At least with the app itself. It sounds like your settings file is badly corrupted. I think you will continue to experience loss of data while you use these files. In general, settings files can be corrupted whenever an app closes unexpectedly.
  • My original ticket is 61938. However, I disagree with your assessment that there really isn't anything wrong that needs to be fixed. I think that the file becomes corrupt or gets data deleted (in preparation of re-writing it with new info) when the program experiences an unexpected close (i.e. crash) that you pointed out that it does and it is that constant crashing of the program that is a major contributor to the issue. However, aside from that, if indeed the constant crashing causes problems, then perhaps they need to re-think how the manipulate the settings and highscores files. That is one reason I can not WAIT for the Bird Sync to finally come to fruition and I would be SO welcome to beta test it ASAP.

As an added measure, both ABo and ABS crash very frequently with me (or unexpectedly quit...however you want to call it). However, ABR never crashes on me, and it is the lone version between the three that I have never had any problems with with respect to losing scores and achievements. On a side note though, I sure hope that I don't lose the fruits on ABR...it's more of a pain to lose those than Golden Eggs.
  • Is there a way to read out the counter for this achievement? That way you can see how many blocks are destroyed and how many are left. If it is not possible maybe it's a good reason to incorporate a counter in the next update.
  • The files are encrypted so you cannot see that information. The idea of a counter has been passed to Rovio several times. They seem interested but it is likely non-trivial to include such an interface.
  • I thought for sure that smash maniac was bugged for the number of hours I had put in this game (played for just under a year) and the number of times I have played egg 14, but today I finally got it!
  • Well I never thought I'd see it happen but a minute ago I FINALLY got 'smash maniac' in AB!!!!! I have played this game daily since spring 2010, should've had the achievement long ago and it popped up while trying to get the feather in Happy Birdday 18-15!!! Wooohoooo!!!
  • OMG....I just earned this elusive achievement. Been playing like mad since April...and then wasting hours upon hours watching football just tossing birds on Golden Egg 14 and Golden Egg 17. Wouldn't you know it? After wasting a couple of hours watching DVDs of Big Bang Theory, I decided to just randomly select a level to just play to waste time on (I was not worried about "adding to my total", although doing so would do just that). After selecting 8-11 as my totally random level and after just replaying it about 4 times, I earned my achievement. Needless to say that I *IMMEDIATELY* backed up my settings file (although I know that the GameCenter achievements are not reset or lost). I think there is an appropriate saying right now: It's Miller Time! :)
  • Maybe there is an extra 0 and it's measuring 5,000,000 blocks smashed instead of 500,000. Is that possible? Downloaded Angry Birds in Jun 2011 (and Seasons & Rio) and have achieved every egg, fruit, 3 stars, plus every achievement except that one.
  • No, there is no extra 0.

To be honest, you have not been playing nearly long enough to get Smash Maniac. Will take several more months.
  • Based on the previous comments, I sort of figured that. You'd think they would at least make the achievement makeable as your going through the levels and actually achieving milestones, 3-stars, golden eggs, feathers, and fruit, and not just playing 7-1 over and over again for no gain. But it makes sense what you said. I'll be patient.
  • @AMslimfordy - Does necessarily have to take several more months...I got it 2-3 weeks ago and only started in April, so on average, that's about 6 more weeks. However, a) I don't know how much LTCStanley plays (and I knew that I played QUITE a bit), and b) I firmly believe that I would've had it within the 6 month time frame but fell victim at least twice to a corrupt settings.lua file (due to other achievements being re-earned a few times, and the fact that I lost access to golden eggs that I had previously had). I am just VERY grateful that I was able to not have the constant corruption like I have seen (and experienced) with Seasons, which happens on a regular basis (usually with game updates).
  • Still working on smash maniac. Achievement page (on iphone) says at the top that I have "57 of 60", but I only counted 58 total achievements (I do have 57, however). Do all of yours say 60 as well, when there are actually 58 total?
    Second, I started counting today, even though I have been playing a long time, though not as long as many of you. But I'll assume I'm starting fresh today at 0 . I'll use egg-14. I figure launching the big red bird will smash at least 50 of the 60 total blocks each time. I plan on doing this in groups of 100. 100 launches times 50 blocks equals a minimum 5000 blocks. I'm logging this each time. If I do this 100 times, I'm there at 500,000. Again, that assumes I started fresh today at 0 and I know I'm way ahead of 0. So should get this well before I do this 100 times. I'll keep you informed of my progress. Did 3 groups of 100 today during football. That's 15,000.
  • Some achievements are hidden, but all 60 are attainable. See our list:
    http://www.angrybirdsnest.com/achievements/
  • Okay, 2 achievements were secret as you said, and I just got those. Thanks. So it's now 59 out of 60. Back to smash maniac.
  • Jan 14, 2012. I just achieved smash maniac working Egg 14. Since Jan 8, smashed approximately 75,000 blocks. Guess I was at the 425,000 smashed block level when I started counting. I can confirm, it is possible.
  • I gave up hope on getting Smash Maniac several months ago. I've owned this game since May 2010 and am ranked in the top 10,000 of 20+ million. Maybe I'm so efficient at getting 3 stars and high scores that I haven't smashed the 500,000 blocks required for the achievement, but I really doubt it! I even considered not working on the Episode 6 Score Addict achievement because I'd still be one achievement short of perfection! I submitted a support ticket to Rovio last summer, but only received the "we'll look into it" response. So frustrating... :(
  • Sorry to hear that @muzikool, but like we have said, there is nothing wrong with the registration of the achievement in GameCenter.
  • Is it still bugged or doesn't the counter restart anymore?
  • Wow. Now I have re-read this thread In detail it's back to flinging red bird at ge14
  • FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!! I have been playing since Spring 2010 - have all the achievements now - went back and have been replaying all the levels trying to improve my scores. I was half way thru the Birdday level when I got it.
  • On GE 14 there appears to be 63 blocks-60 wooden and 3 concrete. It takes about 15 seconds to fly the big red bird to complete the level what ever the outcome. That equates to 252 blocks per minute and 15,120 blocks per hour. It will take at least 33.06878306 hours to obtain all 500,000 blocks if perfection is obtained in eliminating all 63 blocks. If one assumes that 250,000 blocks were smashed during the completion of AB then at least 16.53439153 hours needs to be devoted to obtaining the remainder. In reality it is probably closer to 18-20 hours due to the fact that at least 4-6 wooden blocks usually remain with scores of 103000 to 105000.
  • Today is my birthday and as a gift i finally got smash maniac on the level 6 of surf and turf
  • Happy Birthday and congrats!
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!