When the latest v1.2.2 Angry Birds Rio Mac update landed we were all scratching our heads as to why the “Redeem Code” option required to unlock the secret Golden Beachball episode was missing. Unfortunately, we still don’t know why it wasn’t in the update, but if you are on a Mac there is now a way for you to access these levels (yes, you still need to buy Rio on DVD or Blu-ray).
Let me start by saying how you go about accessing the Golden Beachball episode is NOT through an update via the Mac AppStore. Rovio has actually created what they are calling the, “Angry Birds Rio Bonus Version”, which — so far as we know — is currently only available for the Mac.
The “bonus” version is basically the same as Angry Birds Rio Free, which is available for iOS devices (don’t confuse with ad-free on Android). The “Free” versions of Angry Birds are like teasers and only contain a handful of levels. Angry Birds Rio Bonus Version currently includes 12 levels, plus 15 Golden Beachball levels (links to walkthroughs). However, before you can play the the Golden Beachball levels they MUST be activated. This requires a code found in the Rio DVD or Blu-ray. For detailed instructions about that please checkout this article.
Angry Birds Rio Bonus installs as a separate application and looks to be free (i.e. you don’t need the full version of Angry Birds Rio for Mac to play this). There is a “Activate the Full Version” button in the game, but that just links to Angry Birds Rio in the Mac AppStore, so it’s not actually activating the Bonus version.
Without further adieu, here’s how you can get your copy of Angry Birds Rio Bonus for Mac:
- Head to http://riodvd.angrybirds.com (opens in a new window)
- Once there scroll down a bit and in the gray instruction box click the “Mac” tab at the top.
- The first arrow prompts you to, “Download Angry Birds Rio Bonus Version from here.” Download it to your Mac. Note, that is says “OS 10.6” or better required.
- Once it’s downloaded double-click it and drag the Angry Birds Bonus icon to your Applications folder. It’s now installed. Launch it!
- If you have a copy of Rio on DVD or Blu-ray and haven’t used the secret code yet, click “Redeem Code” and enter the code found on the insert that came with the movie.
Some helpful links: