Finally, after months of anticipation, Angry Birds Friends is now available on mobile devices. This far, we have seen the app land for iOS as a FREE universal app for iPhone and iPad, and for Android via Google Play.
Disclaimer: No, we do not know if your specific device is now or will ever be supported in the future. These types of questions should be directed to Rovio Support.
Can’t find it? Go to the AppStore and select any Angry Birds app. Go to the developer page and, under iPhone apps, it should be listed as the last one. Also, be sure to grab the v1.0.1 bug-fix update, which may help users with login issues.
Let’s get down to the details here. What’s included?
- Foremost, let’s stress again that this is a FREE app, a universal app on iOS, optimized for iPhone 5, and all that awesome stuff. Note that free means ad-supported, though ads will be removed if you purchase any pack of Bird Coins (see more below).
- The app requires a Facebook account. On iOS 6.x, the login is truly seamless if you have your Facebook login information set in your iOS Settings. On other devices, I would imagine you are prompted to login via a dialogue box.
- Before you can login to your Facebook account, you have to complete the tutorial. It’s not hard at all, we promise. You MUST use whatever Power Ups the game prompts you to use, but since you aren’t logged in, they are free PUs.
- After you finish the 5-step tutorial process, you can login to Facebook to earn a bonus of 200 Bird Coins, which can be used toward the purchase of Power Ups. All of your to-date Tournament progress will be there, and I mean all of it — including past results, available Power Ups, and all of your Facebook competitors.
- All the typical Power Up rules exist. On a given try, you may use at most two distinct PUs from Sling Scope (adds a trajectory line), Super Seeds (supersize your fowl), King Sling (super strong and fast slingshot), and Birdquake (shake shake shake). Wingman is another Power Up, treated independently of the original four, and exclusive to the Angry Birds Friends Tournament.
- At this time, the only levels available for play are the Tournament levels. It is possible that, in the future, the app will be expanded to include the other levels available on Facebook. For now, it is a means of playing the weekly Tournament away from your PC.
- Feel free to enter any legitimate scores (including scores obtained using legitimate use of Power Ups) on our brand new Angry Birds Friends Tournament Leaderboard. You will be competing against the best of the best, so be prepared for some tough competition.
For more information, see the following posts:
- Our original post about the coming of this release.
- Facebook Power Ups explanatory post, which highlights how these are used (if you need more info beyond the in-game tutorial).
- Direct Link to our Tournament walkthroughs.