Seniors on Angry Birds Nest Page 12
  • 1086 Comments
  • Just recently turned 65, and slowly working my way towards 3 stars in all of ABS, having completed 3 stars in all of AB Classic.
    I suppose this should qualify me as a senior! :-D
  • Hello @Pigblaster007 & may I welcome you to the seniors forum. The youngsters still pop in from time to time but generally speaking its just us over 40s ( I just love that 40 = Senior!!) if you haven't popped into a forum before this is a great place to start, but the Bloated Pig is a great place too- lots of nesters pop in & out of there and stay for a drink, some food and a chat!
  • Hi @PigBlaster007 and @Mumsie I too love the 40=Senior! Guess we are kids at heart!
    My late mother in law would never take the senior discount even though she was well over senior age!
    I'm also trying the complete 3 stars! (have 3 stars in star wars Tatooine)
  • I am waaaaay over 40, retired and love my angry birds. I don't think they are difficult for seniors in fact I think it's a great game for dexterity and keeping that old brain functioning. I have all the different angry birds games and until the new levels came out today, I was completely finished in Rio. I am near completion of other series (think I play to much) but love the challenges.

The first electronics game I played was pong and Simon. I love gadgets and all electronics, especially my iPad. I introduced my grandkids to angry birds and hooked their parents as well. Don't think all "senior" are "old people" trust me we are not!

Late in discovering the thread, but better late than never.
  • Welcome @msat! I think you may also enjoy popping into the Bloated Pig (a fabulous virtual pub with the most eclectic, funny and wonderful people frequenting it!) the link can be found on the Daily Challenge page. First drink is on the house! Oh and please read the rules on page one and browse the fabulous menu!
  • Not really to play oldest game, but when In the army, took an electronics course for Nike missiles, at the time they told us that they had these new devices that took the place of vacuum tubes; they were called transistors! Down memory lane with @78RPM, 33 - 1/3 and 45, we played the first games on the Atari, and other consoles that I have forgotten the names of, and does anyone remember Solomon’s Key? However it is a download available on the Wii. Never could do well with Mario Brothers. Until I got this 7” tablet did not play games other than solitaire on my computers. I can see how a larger tablet would be helpful, but like the portability of the smaller size.
  • @WiiWillie @mspat -- If you're interested in a walk down the memory lane of old electronics games, there is a forum for that too. Might not be on the first forum page.
    BTW WiiWillie -- You might be interested to know that my husband has a vacuum tube amplifier for his stereo system. He's an audiophile, so this is not old electronics, you can still buy them. A few years ago, replacement tubes all came from the Soviet Union; now they all come from China, I think.
  • @mvnla2 that is cool, I didn't know they would still have VT's. They can handle a lot more current, more Db! So what does not come from China? A couple of things from Canada and Mexico.
  • Ammo is getting scarce!
    This morning I lucked out and was able to buy two boxes of ammo.

I placed the boxes on the front seat and headed back home, but stopped at a gas station where a drop-dead gorgeous blonde in a short skirt was filling up her car at the next pump.

She glanced at the two boxes of ammo, bent over and leaned in my passenger window, and said in a sexy voice, "I'm a big believer in barter, old fella. Would you be interested in trading sex for ammo?"

I thought for a few seconds and asked,
    "What kind of ammo 'ya got?"
  • @wiiwillie the "joke" not sure if it could be classified as one, sounds to close to the truth! On the last page had my parentage ROFLMAOing big time!! Thanks for that!!!! :D
  • @wiiwillie a bit American in content for us non gun owning Brits, but still funny

• @Hunnybunny, Pip pip ole chap and all that ole rot! Oh, just caught on to your (to me) strange bedtime. Have a friend in Leeds, we chat occasionally. Liked his name and named my son after him.
    Glad you enjoyed the joke.
  • Haha @wiiwillie ;) I must check the last page..for some reason my dinger doesn't always work in here..
  • Ohhh my Roflmao!!!, ;:)
  • Food for thought for you 40 year old seniors. My grandmother was just a few days short of 103. When she was 80 she went to the old folk’s home to sing Christmas carols to them!
  • @Mumsie & @mvnla2 Here is the link to the cartoon for you golf enthusiasts.
    They may ask you to log on or sign up if you forward it, but is worth a try, and free.

http://www.gocomics.com/bc/2012/08/19
  • Sitting playing AB, of course, I glanced at some family photos on the side table. There's one of me, 1980s, curly perm and purple eyeshadow. Cringe....
    Then me again, 1990s, in full Princess Diana, Sloane Ranger get up. Pearl earrings, crisp white shirt, navy tailored shorts (obviously to the knee) and white leather loafers. Complete with the slightly bouffant short hair. Cringe, cringe, cringe....
    Thank goodness the 1970s ones are locked away!
  • Thanks @wiiwillie - I lost my match yesterday but my opponent played fantastic golf and was a worthy winner! Off again to the course in 5 mins - can't believe what a difference a 'proper' summer makes to the amount of time I'm spending there!
  • @WiiWillie, I noticed up above where you very proudly announced your 3 stars in Tatooine and others, a bit of advice, do not be fooled by the 3 stars, they are only the starting gate, keep on playing and you will see your scores suddenly skyrocket to new heights that you could not imagine. Happy Flingin'.
  • By the way, I am 62 yrs. old, so I guess that I qualify as a Quasi-Senior.
  • @SadBird, No foolin' 3 stars is an accomplishment for me. Don’t burst my balloon! I’m not playing for high scores, just to get to the next level. Never been a gamer, too clutsy. The several hundred tries on J-35 resulted in luck and not skill! If it gets any tougher, I will stick to my Sudoku!
    The old saying that practice makes perfect is misquoted, it should be: “Intelligent practice makes perfect!”
  • @WiiWillie -- I used to be a sudoku addict too; only played the most difficult; always completed in an hour or less. Haven't played for at least a year!
    I've been playing AB for maybe 3 yrs now. How long ago did it start? Didn't start immediately, but did start when there was only ABO with a couple of episodes. Anyway, started only trying to pass levels, which was sometimes difficult for me, and I had to resort to the ABN walkthroughs. Then I started going for 3* on all levels, and went back to older episodes. Went for feathers when ME came out, although I did use the pass one level per hour sometimes, and wished you didn't have to wait an hour. Started using leaderboards when they added the your leaderboard with the sort by difference from average feature. So guess what -- I'm now trying to be above average in all levels. Haven't gone back through all of the older games, but doing OK in Space and ABSW.
    Not sure which game you are playing, but I find many levels of ABO and AB Seasons to be very difficult even now.
  • @mvnla2 The Sudoku keeps me sharp- like a new pencil. lol
    Don't try for time, have been doing them quite a while. It is a wake up exercise in the daily paper with my morning coffee before doing whatever.
    Playing SBSW for about two weeks since I got a small Tablet, had never played games on my computer (not counting solatare) before that. Wii has a double meaning, I haven't played the Wii seriously (Zelda) for a coulple of years, except games like bowling with the grandkids. Mario Brothers was way too complicated for me!
    Even the walkthrougs are a challenge to me, sometimes try a few times without looking at them, but rarely ever succeed with out them.
    Where I am with AB: when I first got my tablet it was to keep me busy while I waited for my wife. Downloaded an AB to play and couldn't do anyting with the pigs and their silly fans and found ABSW was more suited to my idea of AB. Most of the time I get below average scores, but what really bugs me is getting a score just below the three stars and doing that several times. Have done some levels with 2 birds and completed it, but no minimum 3 star level over and over. Still trying to get 25 blocks with one bird, that takes a lot of luck! :(
  • @WiiWillie -- I did play other computer games before AB, but not for several years, and in general, not those that required rapid responses. I prefer games that require logic more than precise timing. Do you know about the achievements page (on gold bar at top)? It tells you which levels are easiest to play to earn various achievements.
  • @WiiWillie, Sorry, I am not trying to burst your balloon, what I am doing is trying to get you hooked on these games like the rest of us here at ABN, and being clutsy is not a valid excuse for not wanting to score higher.

I myself have been playing AB for almost 1½ years now and joined ABN just over a month ago and thought that I had great scores until I saw the Leaderboards, suffice it to say that I have been replaying all of the games beginning with Angry Birds Original all the way to Angry Birds Star Wars, my goal of course is to get all my scores above average just as @MVNLA2 wrote above and try to garner a few top scores while I am at it.

ABN has the daily Challenge which is an excellent way to improve your scores by competing with other players at this site, and on your free time you can try to improve other scores as well. Another thing you can do is read all the walkthrough comments for each level, you would be surprised to find many alternate strategies that will aid in achieving higher scores, @e-star makes her own videos of her and others' strategies making them available for all to view.

We have a player here @rat9 that is north of 68 years and according to his own account has very fat fingers that keep getting in the way, and yet, he has managed to grab quite a few top scores in many of the games.

In essence, the great thing about ABN is the friendly and collaborative spirit shown by most players, plus of course anytime you need help you can refer to all the sections above on the yellow strip, or you can contact any of the friendly and courteous Admins if you can not find what you are looking for.

Happy Flingin'!!!

• @SadBird just kidding about bursting the balloon. If you are trying to get me hooked on AB, you are too late. I know my scores are below average, don't have to look!
    @mvnla2 you may like the old game called Solomon's Key. Does require some reflexes, but is not a killer game.
    So, if I wanted to play ABO what is the download called? Don't know if I can wait for the new star wars.
  • @wiiwillie sorry i am late to the conversation but are you inquiring about abo like original angry birds ¿
  • @Kathy Yep! is it the one with Poached Eggs?
  • Yep @wiiwillie the one that starts with poached eggs sorry needed a shower;:)
  • Its available in google play store..don't mix and match Amazon and google play trust me..you end up losing progress with updates..get the ad-free version only .99 cent its definitely worth it:)
  • @Kathy thanks, I do have that, don't know where I got it, have an android tablet. But did purchase the 99 cents to go ad free on star wars, but still got ads. Think the ABSW was a free app. Just got ad free from my google account for the AB (Poached Eggs)
  • @wiiwillie what kind of ads..i thought the same thing i have ad-free on all games..but with the new updates i alto now have ads..what it is..is instead of the mailman on the pause screen it is now video, or ad you have to x out..very annoying..especially in star wars where that thing comes shooting across the top..:(
  • @Kathy maybe I do have ad free, just get ads at start of level
  • Yep that's it @wiiwillie at the start and on pause..if you didn't have add-free they
    Ads would come across the top while your shooting your birds..
  • Okay, guess got what I paid for. I guess they have ad free anytime if you buy the game? think I answered my own question...
  • Huh? @wiiwillie ?¿ Not sure what you mean..?
  • @Kathy. I purchased ad free for star wars, but get ads at strart like you said. But if I had purchased the game, it would not have ads. sorry for the confusion.
  • I paid .99 cents for every separate version..used to be on the pause screen even on the ad-free there was a little mailman and you could shut him off, but he made Sad face..anyway the add r were only there..now even with ad-free the ads seek to interferes with game play..sorry if I'd not Made any sense of it,:(
  • makes sense now. I think I had muddied up the water. the 99c purchase for ad free for each game is clear now. The ads would only come up before a game.
    On a different note, the games may be available for purchase at a price, and those games that you buy would be ad free, as opposed to a free download, if that makes sense.?
  • I love sudoku ! Do at least one every morning over breakfast ! Hi @sadbird - I agree 62 is only quasi senior! Though some days it feels sooooo much more!
  • yes @Mumsie, Get Dressed, make coffee, do Sudoku! Then do other things.
    I see a woodlands golfer won the British Open, a community just North of Houston, so how's the game for you going?
  • @sadbird @all You added 10 years to my age. I'm only semi-semi-senior. You probably think I'm older because of how much living I've crammed into 58 years.

Edit: I do have fat fingers. You got that right!! lol
    Second Edit: I'm down to 21 top scores in Space. People keep stealing them. Grrrr
  • @wiiwillie had a purple patch recently but it seems like it together with my flinging skills have gone on holiday!
  • Ha ha @Sadbird I always thought you were a juvenile until you revealed your age.
    You thought Rat was nearly 70. Goodness knows how we form our opinions here!!
    PS I thought you were young because you fling so well. I should have known better (I'm 53 by the way)
  • @Mumsie, you will have to explain the purple patch to me.
  • Hi @mumsie42, yep..that it does, BTW..I too miss my marbles the most, but being a little cuckoo is great for the soul & spirit.

Hello @rat9, it seems that I read in one of your posts somewhere about your being "68" and having fat fingers not being a hindrance to your uberhigh scores..especially in AB Space where you are doing very very well.

Ha ha @hunnybunny, you have a most unusual way of phrasing a compliment..thank you, but I do not think I fling so well, I mostly imitate the excellent videos provided by @e-star, hey, you sure do not look 53..maybe you meant 35?

@WiiWillie, it is actually best if you just purchase and download the whole lot of AB games from Rovio Entertainment, that way you are guaranteed 100% ad free plus all the bells and whistles without any catches or bait-switching tactics..BTW, do not give average scores another thought, so what if some scores might be up to 10000 points under average, your main concern is just getting the 3 stars...or is it?

To all, Happy Flingin'!!!

• @wiiwilie purple patch means a very very good time, at doing something. Like three birdies in a row, and then it deserts you, and the rest of the round is well over par
  • Sorry SadBird just spoke my mind. It came out a bit odd!
    I too copy the great players, but seldom get close to their scores. Although I did beat one of Moonsabre's Seasons scores the other day. That will never, ever, happen again
    I think I have another misconception about you. Thought you were American, but guessing not now........
    Edit: looked at your profile, you are American. Another proof of the misconceptions we (or at least me!) make all the time
    2nd edit: scrolled down your profile, your male! Goodness how wrong I was
    Sorry, I'll get back in my rabbit hutch and shut up!
  • On her radio show, Dr. Laura said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following response is an open letter to Dr. Schlesinger, written by a US man, and posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as quite informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.
    1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
    2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
    3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
    4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
    5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?
    6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?
    7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?
    8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?
    9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
    10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.
    Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan,
    James M. Kauffman, Ed.D. Professor Emeritus, Dept. Of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education University of Virginia

P.S. (It would be a damn shame if we couldn't own a Canadian.)
  • No offence meant by the above, whatever your religion (or nationality) may be.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!