White/blue bird's physics
  • 26 Comments
  • Alternatively:
    Does the Blue bird obey conservation of mass upon splitting?
  • If you haven't looked at the Wired series on AB physics, you might want to. References are here: http://www.angrybirdsnest.com/forum/discussion/600)
    I think the question about conservation of mass for the blue birds may be answered, but I haven't looked recently. Also haven't looked to see if there are more articles than listed in this old post.
    See also forum discussion on AB, physics, and random chance (although it is more about the existence of random or variable elements than about the physics).
  • I summarize the two issues regarding the White Bird's egg-bomb drop:

1. is realistic a vertical trajectory of the bomb?
    2. does egg-drop conserve the momentum?

Some answers:

1a. no, because its velocity has a horizontal component
    1b. AMslimfordy proposes Projected bomb vs. Dropped bomb
    1c. Burbman believes "that the egg bomb is ejected from the rear of the bird with a horizontal component approximately opposite of the bird’s horizontal momentum, allowing it to drop straight down"

2a. (me) if we suppose a (non-physic) null initial velocity of the egg, then the two angles between tangent lines to "before" and "after" parabolas and x-axis were supplementary... it's easy to verify this doesn't happen, so we have to conlcude at least that White Bird makes a... big effort to eject its bomb ;-)
  • @nchiriano Great comment. I, for one, am not sure that the trajectory of the bomb is vertical. But that could just be my lack of skill in targeting.
  • The blue bird's mass triples when you activate its power, since two more birds are added.
    The white bird's bomb goes straight down, to keep the game simple and fun.
  • @Flassari -- Is there an English version of the Coca Cola AB Chinese Olympics game? Where? Or at least a translation?
  • For the uninformed, the coca-cola game is here: http://www.icoke.cn/services/og/cmps/2012olp/pt/ab/abf.aspx

First tab is "login", second tab is "register".

On the login tab: "email"(not the nickname), "password" and login button.

On the register tab, the input boxes are in order "email", "choose pass", "confirm pass", "nickname".
    First checkbox is "remember me", second checkbox is "send me marketing email from rovio".

Then the button centered is "Register!"

Have fun you guys!
  • @Flassari -- Is there / will there be an english version?
    What is required to open the 3 bottom gold boxes with locks in them?
    I've already unlocked the middle row, but not positive what the requirements for doing so were???
  • There will (probably) not be an english version, no.
    The 3 golden bottom levels will be unlocked when all the players have together collected 10m beats (get the drums). You can see the current worldwide progress in the upper right corner.
    You personally needed to collect 15 and 40 beats respectively to open the middle levels.
  • If the blue blocks are indeed ice then I'm not too sure why they would be sinking in the Piglantis update...water actually has a lower density upon freezing and should respectively float in liquid water...maybe the blocks are actually glass? As a physicist (and soon official aerospace engineer) I love looking at the physics behind this stuff haha. The physics problems put together in another forum are wonderful! Make me realize how much I have learned/forgotten from undergrad.
  • @jtucc210 @flassari -- Interesting. In the Piglantis main post, Slim says that ice floats, yet I agree with you, at least sometimes the ice sinks. Why?
    Jtucc210 -- You haven't posted any answers to the problems in the math/physics forum. Some of which are more difficult than I intended.
    Good luck on you career in aerospace. What company will you be working for? I was a TRW employee for many years, until they were bought by Northrop Grumman.
  • @mvnla2 Thanks! Haven't had time to post solutions. I'm currently working at NASA as part of my PhD fellowship. As far as once I graduate, I would really like to work for SpaceX with all that they have been accomplishing, but I think my ultimate goal would be to teach at the collegiate level. Not sure where life will take me but I look forward to it!
  • Well, you have your priorities straight, with the possible exception of the time you spend playing AB. Good luck on your studies. I was lucky enough to be working on my PhD long before there were distractions like AB.
    BTW -- If you want to be a professor, the best route may be to do a post-doc, and then apply to colleges and universities. I can't think of anyone who worked in aerospace, and then became a professor at a known university, maybe even not a college -- a community college, yes. Plus if you work for SpaceX you will be paid a lot more than an assistant professor, and it is hard to give that up. Getting a full professorship from industry is difficult.
  • Some professors I have had did come from industry, but most did come from post-doc. Like I said, I'm not entirely sure what I want to do. Knowing the industry pays more adds fuel to my fire of pursuing that in the moment, but my feeling is that I will end up pursuing what makes me happier in the long run and that may very well be teaching. I'm grateful that my fellowship allows me to test the waters and check out government work so I can get a feel for it. If I were to teach though it would be where I did my undergrad in physics. I would love to do plasma research there and since my PhD will be in electric propulsion, I deal with plasmas quite often so my aerospace work is very highly based on physics. I still have some time so I have no doubts that everything will start to fall in place as time goes on. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I really appreciate the advice and perspective.
  • @Flassari -- So are the light blue items ice or glass, or both? In Piglantis they seem to sink, which implies they are not ice???
  • @mvnla2 this is indeed interesting. I have heard that the blue blocks are glass since the sink. But then why is the space bird named Frosssh and why does it make a cooling/freezing affect when he is activated? Also, Frosh has been coined the Ice Bird and he was first released on Cold Cuts, a ice themed update. I think the blue blocks were always supposed to be ice.
  • Maybe it's "magic" ice like the floating sand blocks from other episodes :) maybe Piglantis has mysterious properties of ice just as mystical as the lost city itself ;) who knows.
  • Actually I really like that logic. Thats it, we all should just go with that, finalized no more questioning, I can sleep in peace tonight.
  • Glass would sink.
  • the blue blocks in the AB games must be glass, especially because of the sound they make when they break.
  • My other post explained my reasoning of why it can't be glass.
    "But then why is the space bird named Frosssh and why does it make a cooling/freezing affect when he is activated? Also, Frosh has been coined the Ice Bird and he was first released on Cold Cuts, a ice themed update."
  • It's a strange debate either way. But if we really want to start poking at realism in the app, the whole thing just falls apart haha
  • True. Like I said before it is being picky of in my opinion the coolest update over the past 3 years. The normal combined with water gameplay makes some of the most memorable levels yet.
  • using the trajectories of White Bird to explain the angle between two curves
    (with a final tribute to THIS thread)

http://chiriano.thebrain.net/articoli/A&B_30_31.pdf
  • @nchiriano -- Great addition. You might be interested in Rhett Alain's latest Wired article on size of pigs.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!