Automated PC Update Checker
  • 13 Comments
  • Oh, I should add: Some apps (for me: Seasons, SW, and Bad Piggies) may be located in
    ...\Rovio Entertainment Ltd\...

I'm not too worried about that for now. I think my rough code for now already adjusts for that.
  • Josm (Windows 7) : All my Updater.exe Files from all 6 games are located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rovio\Angry Birds\
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Rovio\Angry Birds Rio\
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Rovio\Angry Birds Seasons\
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Rovio\Angry Birds Space\
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Rovio\Angry Birds Star Wars\
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Rovio\Bad Piggies\
  • updater.exe should be in that folder, where you've installed the game.

By Default in Windows 7, they are:
    C:\Program Files\Rovio\Angry Birds\
    C:\Program Files\Rovio\Angry Birds Rio\
    C:\Program Files\Rovio\Angry Birds Seasons\
    C:\Program Files\Rovio\Angry Birds Space\
    C:\Program Files\Rovio\Angry Birds Star Wars\
    C:\Program Files\Rovio\Bad Piggies\
  • Thanks @jos and @ibird. I'm not interested in those URLs since they change sure frequently. I think I've seen half a dozen differen URLs for Seasons in the past year. I removed that comment since it wasn't really relevant to my question.
  • I've been using these URLs for Quick checking of PC updates. So I thought, it can help you in create a program. Sorry AMslimfordy.
  • Indeed that will work @PJng.

For the advanced user even, this requires 6 tasks (one per app), would require the common user to know how to find the filepaths themselves, and cannot be run at will.

Ideally, I'd like a single program that will run at-will. But it mimics this idea, only using the command line instead of the task creator.
  • @amslimfordy

Here is what I use.

1. I create a new txt file with notepad.
    2. Copy the following code into it:
    cd c:\program files (x86)\rovio\angry birds
    updater.exe/checknow

cd c:\program files (x86)\rovio\angry birds rio
    updater.exe/checknow

cd c:\program files (x86)\rovio\angry birds seasons
    updater.exe/checknow

cd c:\program files (x86)\rovio\angry birds space
    updater.exe/checknow

cd c:\program files (x86)\rovio\angry birds star wars
    updater.exe/checknow

cd c:\program files (x86)\rovio\bad piggies
    updater.exe/checknow

3. Save the file as Angry_birds_updt.bat in a directory where you can find it.
    4. Go to the file and create a shortcut and drag it onto your desktop.
    5. Whenever you want to check for updates double click the shortcut.

It will tell you if your software is up to date, if it is not it will ask if you want to download it.

I had asked a few months ago if anybody wanted this and I got no takers. Maybe this isn't what you are looking for. I found it's a quick way to check all the programs without having to open each one.
  • @3star-jeff and @AMslimfordy this is better !!! Thanks
  • Thanks Jeff. I'll play around with that. I think I can make it apply in greater generality.
  • @3starjeff for the new location of angry birds original use: c:\Program Files (x86)\Rovio Entertainment Ltd\Angry Birds>updater.exe/checknow
  • I got it working really really well. It should check all possible locations, allowing for multiple install locations and logically grabbing the correct one from that list.

Trying to finalize a bit of it now (making the aesthetics nicer), and then we may look for a few beta testers!
  • Hi @AMslimfordy, there is actually a custom community made Bad Piggies update checker created quite a while ago but it works differently, by pinging the Official Angry Birds Store.

I think your method works better as many users pinging the Official Store for a http file request might look like a DDoS attack if that program were to be mass proliferated, so I declined to promote it so far.

I would be interested in beta testing the ABN update checker as it would be easier than monitoring the auto updates one by one in various AB/BP games.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!