General Angry Birds Suggestions: For Current & Future Editions
  • This discussion is for ideas to be used in Angry Birds (any edition) that can possibly be implemented in current version and ready to future editions. These are ideas and concepts that Rovio could add and should help to enhance game play. Here is my list thus far:

- Tap screen to deflate Globe Bird
    You can tap the screen to activate him (as opposed to automatically activating him), we should be given the option to deactivate in the same manner. There are many times after exploding, if he were deactivated at a certain point, it would maximize destruction, but because he stayed inflated for his normal duration, he actually stabilized certain structures by allowing material to gently coagulate around him and thus made completing the level and/or obtaining a higher score harder.

- You must physically pull back on the slingshot/launching device in order to launch any bird.
    When you first start a level, you can tap anywhere and the birds will remain still. However, there are times when you are attempting to use a yellow bird or the white bomber and try to activate it EXTREMELY close to its target to maximize destruction and you just miss it and your bird hits the structure just an instant before you tap, you wind up launching the next bird in the direction of where you tapped. No bird should EVER be launched without pulling back on the launching device just like when you first start a level.

- NO CONSUMABLE EAGLES!
    No need to talk elaborate on it. I think it speaks for itself and there is a full blown discussion about it here [ coincidentally started by me :-) ]:

http://www.angrybirdsnest.com/forum/discussion/889/angry-birds-space-mighty-eagle-are-you-kidding-me

- The ability to re-order the bird lineup
    For the most part,the bird lineup is about the best way to handle things, but the ability to reorder them adds a new twist, plus there are times (and they are rare I admit) that one bird in the lineup is completely useless and is basically just tossed aside, so you loose the value of the bird in scoring when you waste it in that manner. On level 3-16 of ABO, if you actually use the first bird on it, you actually hinder the ability to even get past the level, much less three star it. After you waste the first bird by flinging it backwards, you solve the level by simply using the second bird to "one-bird it". A wasted 10K in points.

- Level Editor
    Does this really need any write up? LOL Of course, if this were to come to fruition, they might as well release ALL of the levels on all platforms with that release, because if they don't, someone will surely duplicate them and release it for them.

Aside from adding a specific bird with specific powers (there are a few topics already on this), anyone with any other ideas?

Additional Ideas (from posting from users):

- The ability to rest the bird on the launcher if you decide not to fling it at the moment (from member @Dorito)
    This will allow you to stop what you are doing and not have to sacrifice a bird or the level if you quickly need to do something else. (Personally love that idea!)

- The ability to have playback of just completed levels (from member @ChaosTsar)
    We could limit the playback to the last 2-5 minutes or so to prevent overnight plays from causing issues.

- With all the levels for each game, and the fact that many people replay levels quite often, it would be nice to have an indication of the last level played on the main screen. (from myself)

- Per level counter (from member @ChaosTsar)
  • 19 Comments
  • The only thing I disagree with is reordering the birds. They are meant to be used in that order.
  • Don't want to start a long winded debate over the merits, and I do understand that what you say is essentially true for most levels. However, take a look at level 3-16 of ABO. If you use the red bird in ANY capacity, you pretty much well doom yourself to hardly being able to complete the level, much less three star it. Like I said, these instances are rare, but they do exist. Also on levels that have the black bird somewhere during the lineup, there are quite a few levels that if it were further up in the lineup to be able to use sooner, you could quite possibly finish off the level earlier and possibly get a higher score.

Again, this isn't meant to debate the merits of these ideas. Just wanted to show an extreme case of level 3-16 where actually using the bird actually makes completing the level worse for you.
  • Interesting ideas. I'm not sure about deflating the Orange Bird since you can't clear any other birds. Physically pulling the slingshot has sort of been added with Space, or it is at least more sensitive. I disagree with reordering birds since its the game design and allowing reordering of birds would actually severely decrease my interest in the game. Level editor has been floated around for years but I'm not sure how useful it would be. And you know my feeling on the eagles.
  • I always thought the strategy for 3-16 was to hit the red bird off the left middle part of the right tower? If you hit it just right it takes everything down. I see your point though because if you don't use it that way it covers everything up making the level very hard to beat.
    I love the orange bird suggestion. I never thought of that but it would make using him way better and may be able to be utilized in more levels.
    The order is gonna be the most discussed on here. I have previously thought that changing the order would be interesting, but then came to the conclusion that the reason I like angry birds is because the difficulty of the game is perfect, and I think Danger Zone showed us that have full control over the varying difficulty of each level. I think the developers do a great job at designing levels, order of birds, and practical 1/2/3 star point totals. Changing the order may make it too easy once you figure out the most effective order. For example, while the blackbird could be used to get a higher score there are many levels that I feel I could beat with just the BB leaving the others as useless.
  • "You must physically pull back on the slingshot in order to launch any bird".
    I couln't agree more. As it is now, even when you first start a level and tap on a bird sitting on the slingshot, it will move away. This is an extremely frustrating feature. It happend to me many times that in the middle of playing a level, I would tap the screen without looking and accidentally tapped it in the vicinity of the slingshot making the next bird fly and ruining the game. Swearing out loud follows, and I am not the kind of person who swears often. :) I would really appreciate it if Rovio fixed it and wouldn't allow birds to move unless the slingshot is pulled.
  • I think that they should bring back the ability to rest your birds on the slingshot after you pull it back. Now, when you try to put it back, the bird just falls to the ground. :(
  • @lostgreybird - forgive me if I understand what you are saying, but after reading your post, it seems that you are calling my suggestion of "reordering" birds to mean replacement (at least that's what I get from reading your post. If I am mistaken in that, I apologize). Just to clarify: What I mean is actually reordering the birds already present on a given level. For instance, go back the 3-16, if possible, I'd merely swap (or reorder) the white bird which is second with the red bird which is first.

Nothing against @AMslimfordy, but that would add a new dimension and could add interest I suspect rather than diminish it...My line of thinking is if once you've maxed out your score with the given set and order (or just plain given up trying...LOL), mix it up and see if you can further improve your score. That would give you something to do between releases (I've already completed ALL available mobile levels and am waiting until ANY update or new release), so I personally don't see how that could reduce interest. Lostgreybird indicated "Changing the order may make it too easy once you figure out the most effective order."... but that's the whole point...keeping your interest and figuring out the most effective order. With that being said, I do also agree with his statement "I think the developers do a great job at designing levels, order of birds, and practical 1/2/3 star point totals" so I feel that there probably won't be a MASSIVE amount of levels garnering substantial improvement in scores by reordering because I do believe that for the MOST part, what is given is usually/probably the best order to produce the best score...but wouldn't it be fun to find out? :-)

@annach - Yeah...there have been many times where I would still continue with a level even AFTER missing the activation of a given bird, but can't because the bird behind it needlessly got fired on some weird trajectory. It still boggles my mind how that "feature" has been available since day one. I think it needs to be remedied. :-)

@AMslimfordy - With a Level Editor, I as a iOS user could get access to all levels not on iOS (as I don't play the web based ones). The reverse is true for other platforms, and I think that's what's important. Then there is the sharing of newly created levels, creating a whole new realm, including even here on ABN by having a levels pack area and downloads of those submissions. The would benefit both Rovio and ABN. Also, they could host contests with prizes for creating levels packs, which is BOUND to create a TON of interest as the winners (and possibly other submissions) could be part of an official downloadable pack from Rovio.

@Dorito - GREAT IDEA!....I will add that to the list above...never knew it was a "feature" that was taken away.
  • I still would love to see instant replay of the round where I achieved my top score. However, one drawback may be those levels where I simply park my device overnight and let the level self-destruct. Keeping that video payback might be a bit of a memory-hog.
  • @chaostsar just speed up the part where nothing happened, or edit it out.
  • @Imanangry bird - The problem is that the playback feature would still have to be recorded first, and that could cause issues.

@ChaosTsar - Pretty good idea. I do see how an overnight situation could cause issues...how about a compromise and only have playback for the last 5 minutes? That would cover most of the overnights, although there is one in Rio with the cargo airplane that it wouldn't completely cover, but we do need a compromise.
  • @heathen -- yeah, I don't think it will ever make it to the app. I just think that saving some type of recoding of so many levels would make the app become too much of a memory / space hog (no pig pun intended). Would still be a cool feature.
  • @ChaosTsar - This is true, but I was thinking that possibly it would just save the last level played, not all levels. They could even put a little film strip on the level to indicate which level has the recording.
  • @ChaosTsar - Actually, I was thinking about this a bit ago, and they actually don't have to physically record actual game footage. Since this is supposed to be a physics based game, all they would need to do is record the values of the variables, set them on the "replay", and simply let the game do its thing.

On another unrelated note, as of Seasons: Piglantis, they haven't fixed what I consider to be a major travesty in that birds can be flung without having to pull on the launcher. Aggravated me to no end on 1-15 of Piglantis.
  • "Birds can be flung without having to pull on the launcher".

Please explain a little more...
  • @PlayDBird - Read the very first post of this thread...it explains it. Hope that helps. Let me know if I can answer anything else.
  • I haven't experienced that - but don't doubt that you have. That would be aggravating.
  • Here's another one:

With all the levels for each game, and the fact that many people replay levels quite often, it would be nice to have an indication of the last level played on the main screen.
  • How about a counter for the number of times a level has been played? Restarts should count, no matter how quickly the level was restarted.
  • @ChaosTsar - Thanks...I added your suggestion to the list.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!