Sick of in-app purchases? Page 1
  • When I jumped on the Angry Birds train last summer I knew that I had found something special. A fun $.99 App with free updates and no in-game advertising. After completing the original Angry Birds game I was quick to download Seasons and Rio. When I had spent months completing all the stars I even downloaded The Mighty Eagle for $.99 for more Rovio fun.

However the new wave of Rovio games has begun to turn me off Angry Birds. The company is in danger of losing me as a customer.

I waited a month for SPACE and when it finally released I found it full of advertising and in-app purchases. Some of the levels are now pay-only. You can now pay $20 and still not have unlimited Mighty Eagles. When Rovio launched what should have been their best game, they betrayed fans everywhere.

Rovio is selling out. Angry Birds is in danger of losing it's fans. If Rovio wants more money they can sell merchandise, but don't turn your wonderful games into a virtual Wall-Mart.

If you agree with these complaints, take a stance and tell Rovio that they are in danger of losing you as well.

https://www.facebook.com/AngryBirdsSellsOut
  • 17 Comments
  • Hello Rovio,

I am a big fan of your company and would like to file a complaint. This is in reference to in-app purchases in Angry Birds Space such as "The Mighty Eagle"

Angry Birds is a special game to me and millions of others and I believe that your new update has taken something special and turned it into another commercialized app.

When I jumped on the Angry Birds train last summer I knew that I had found something special. A fun $.99 App with free updates and no in-game advertising. After completing the original Angry Birds game I was quick to download Seasons and Rio. When I had spent months completing all the stars I even downloaded The Mighty Eagle for $.99 for more Rovio fun.

I waited a month for SPACE and when it finally released I found it full of advertising and in-app purchases. Some of the levels are now pay-only. What concerns me the most is that you can now pay $20 and still not have unlimited Mighty Eagles. The Mighty Eagle is no longer fun, only frustrating.

I have stopped using other apps because of in-app purchases like this and it might drive me away from Angry Birds as well. I have set up a Facebook page called https://www.facebook.​com/AngryBirdsSellsOut in order to protest your new policies.

Thank you for taking time to read my complaint. I will continue to play your games but I will not be purchasing any Mighty Eagles unless I can buy unlimited use at a reasonable price.

A fan,
    ~Brock Raabe
  • You should file your complaint with Rovio http://www.rovio.com/en/about-us/contact
    Angry Birds Nest is a fan community not affiliated with Rovio.
  • I don't mind the $.99 for the Danger Zone levels. They're fun and I can play them as many times as needed without worrying about cost. The same is true of the Mighty Eagle in the first three AB games. The ME was a fun add-on when one didn't have to worry about how many times it was used.

Obviously now, if I have to pay for each eagle use I'm going to start worrying about how many per level I would need and some levels need a lot of attempts to get 100%. At that point the fun of using the eagle is gone. I wouldn't even mind paying significantly more than $.99 for unlimited use - but $20 and I could still run out before the initial 60 levels are feathered!? No way. I shall remain featherless on this game.
  • @sal9 - I think Angry Brock's letter was a public posting of the letter either sent to Rovio or so that they could view it here, as I'm sure that members of Rovio visit this site. I agree that the new Might Eagle per-use purchase is unreasonable, but unless they know that the public detests it and it starts to affect their users' view of the game and ultimately their bottom line, they won't change. While I agree that a letter should be sent to them (I have as well), sometimes more is needed. They need to see how their decisions actually influence perception, and viewing the interaction on a fan site like this is a good way to do that.
  • @heathen - Exactly. We need to band together on this one if our voices are going to be heard. Rovio will ultimately lose fans if they turn the Mighty Eagle into a "Smurfberry".

If Rovio wants to be the next Disney then they can't charge kids to talk to Mickey Mouse.
  • I agree with all of you. I feel like our friends at Rovio are making a greedy mistake. Listen up Rovio...just go back to the way things were with a simple update. Change the eagle purchase to a .99$¢ inapp purchase with unlimited usage. Also if you want to make money just develop new angry birds game. Here are a few ideas. Angry Birds time travel. Angry PIGS (the revolution). Angry Birds World tour. Here are three apps that any bird fan would gladly purchase. I bet the code on the existing bird games can be slightly altered and boom, money in the bank.
    Thanks for reading.
    Angry at Rovio
  • Has anyone contacted Rovio about this yet? If not, I'll be glad to send an e-mail to them, as I too, hate the new ME.
  • I think they know. They got a few tweets within hours.
    A good hashtag #MESpaceRipOff ...
  • Everyone should contact Rovio to complain -- The more complaints they get, the more likely they will listen. See below for contacts.
    There is more on this topic at:
    http://www.angrybirdsnest.com/forum/discussion/889/angry-birds-space-mighty-eagle-are-you-kidding-me
    @sal -- The hash tag doesn't transfer automatically to twitter.
    Several people from ABN have contacted Rovio (probably non-ABN also).
    Personally, I sent messages to the following:
    Twitter:
    pvesterbacka (The Mighty Eagle) -- If you only send one message, send it to him; he is a real person with real power.
    angrybirdsspace
    RovioHQ
    AngryBirds
    E-Mail:
    Contact at Rovio (game support)
    Contact at Rovio (PR and marketing)

• What I find interesting, did anyone else notice how all of initial comments at the app store were unbelievably positive. It looks like they had more top scores than sales for Space. Then.....all of a sudden the real consumers are posting only one star. Posting "Greed" as the number one issue.

Nice try, but I think I will pass on purchasing this game.
  • @all
    In a recent tweet, Peter Vesterbacka said you could reach him by e-mail at "firstname"@rovio.com
    Given the language difference, not sure if this means Peter or Vesterbacka.
    @dnnaples -- ABOS is great even without space eagles. Very challenging. There is a glimmer of hope that Rovio will relent and make SE unlimited use. Best to send your personal comment to Peter Vesterbacka (THE Mighty Eagle of Rovio).
  • @dnnaples and all -- Don't know if App Store comments are different for different platforms, but most of the negative comments are that it crashes a lot, particularly on iPad 1. Second most negative is for paying extra for danger zone. I actually didn't mind that. Paying for SE is 3rd. I think we annoyed ABNers need to write to Rovio (Peter Vesterbacka) individually.
  • So I tweeted a message to pvesterbacka and he said "will see what we can do".
  • Like all good execs, he (Peter Vesterbacka) works Sat! And unlike most, he answers tweets and e-mail (this was e-mail response to message sent to [email protected]):
    Thanks for contactng me. I will discuss this with the team and see how
    we can make this better. Glad you like the Angry Birds Space game too.

Peter
    Mighty Eagle, Rovio
  • i don't really use the mighty eagle but i do agree about that but you don't really need it is still a good game
  • @mvnla2 Theres a load of complants on the app store
  • Keep twittering, folks!

This is what I sent.

@pvesterbacka
    Peter!

We are fans upset about The Mighty Eagle price in space. Love AB but price for ME is not fair.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!