Help/Information needed please from iPad users.
  • I am going to buy an iPad and would like some advice from other iPad owners. Please excuse my ignorance re some of the questions. I have done a lot of research but not having owned any sort of Apple device before and not being very computer literate, I have found some of the information out there a bit overwhelming.

1. How many gigabytes do you have/do you think is advisable?
    (I plan on downloading all the AB games & the once off payment Eagles plus any future games and maybe some other games – Rovio’s Amazing Alex, Bad Piggies etc. and if I finally finish all of those, other games. I’ll buy the WiFi only as I don’t want/need mobile connection.)

2. What sort of case/cover/stand do you use when playing AB?
    (Do you play with it on your lap, on a table etc.. I will take my iPad when I go on holidays.)

3. Where do you buy your AB games from?
    (There is a specific iPad App store but AB isn’t listed. It is listed on the iTunes App store so I assume there’s where I buy it from. Do you have to buy AB games from Apple (for i devices) or can you buy them from elsewhere?)

4. Is it better to have iTunes downloaded on the iPad direct or should I register/download iTunes on my PC before I buy the iPad?

5. Does downloading iTunes use up much in gigabytes?

P.S. I will be using the iPad for other purposes. I feel I must as buying one just to play AB is bit extravagant. I don’t have a laptop or mobile phone with internet connection so an iPad will be useful when travelling.

Thank you
  • 14 Comments
  • 1) I have a 16GB WiFi-Only iPad 2. I would say for the casual gamer, 16GB is probably fine, though since I'm not doing video recording I probably would get the 32GB if I could go back. Nonetheless, if you plan on staying rather causal, 16GB should probably be plenty.

2) I just have one of the little "SmartCovers" (I think that's what they were called). It protects the screen but the corners fray quickly and it offers no protection for the back. Since I usually have it purely in my hands though, I wouldn't want anything much bigger or bulkier. Protecting the screen should be the most important thing.

3) The normal iOS AppStore. On iPad, it shows both iPad and iPhone games. On iPhone, it only lists iPhone games. That's because iPad CAN run iPhone games as well. All four Angry Birds apps are indeed listed there, as Angry Birds ___ HD. There are no other AppStores for iOS (unless you jailbreak).

4) This I don't know. I would think using a PC would be easier. It's simple enough to do in about 5-10 minutes.

5) For PC or iPad? For PC, I think the current iTunes .exe is under 100 MB. For iPad, it's non-optional and pre-installed, but I don't think it takes up much space.
  • Thank you so much Slim. This information is a great help and much appreciated. :)
  • I too have an iPad 2 16GB bought it about 3 weeks before the new one came out. I have a Belkin cover -has a trifold lid that covers the screen and is meant to fold to tilt the screen when placed on a table -good for reading ebooks but tends to collapse if flinging! I take my iPad everywhere with me -love it!
  • Thanks @Mumsie. I saw a cover that looked like the Belkin and thought the same thing - i.e. when used in the upright stand position it would be OK to just look at but constantly playing AB would push it over. There sure is a lot to look at in the accessories department.
  • I just wanted to add in something to clear up your last question about, "How many GB does iTunes take up".

iTunes doesn't download onto the iPad. iTunes is only on computers. It's Apple's computer "media hub" while iPhone, iPad, & iPod Touch uses the App Store. I just wanted to clear this up because I didn't know if you thought iTunes would take up space on your iPad or not, in which case it won't.

As for question #4 since iTunes is only on computer I would recommend downloading it on to a computer if you have one. That way you will be able to update purchases and certain games' saved progress etc.

PS. I would think it'd be a great purchase even if you only ever used it to play Angry Birds & Bad Piggies.
  • I have the iPad 2 w/ 16 GBytes, which I find quite sufficient. Mine is equipped with WiFi and 3G, mostly because of the fact that I never know where I'll end up from day to day, and I need flexibility.

I use the pre-installed AppStore app w/ no problems, I haven't fiddled with iTunes a whole lot yet.

As a case, I use the Logitech Bluetooth keyboard. It does triple duty as a keyboard (obviously), a stand and a protective case so your screen is protected by stainless steel on both sides.
  • Thanks @lostgreybird. Your explanation re iTunes being Apple’s media hub and the App Store is for iPad etc. was helpful and prompted me to do more research. I used to think iTunes was just a place iPod owners bought music from! I now know iTunes is a whole lot more. It’s needed for backup, updates etc.. I phoned an Apple Store and was told I will need to download iTunes onto my computer. I took some notes whilst talking to them and wrote “has its own iTunes” (I’m guessing that may relate to them activating my iPad at the store). There’s also something called iCloud that I need to learn about but I don’t think I’ll use/need. I’ll find out when I hopefully go and buy it this week. I’m buying it from an Apple Store because they set it up/activate it for you and price match other stores prices. :) (I know I could buy it for a lot less online but for various reasons I prefer to buy from local stores.) The Apple Stores also have free Workshops although you don’t have to have bought it from them.

I haven’t decided what sort of cover I’ll buy yet. Slim said the Smart Covers fray quickly and I read in a review the magnetic attaching device can scratch the unit so that one’s out. I will go and get a Screen Protector put on it at a little shop where they mainly just sell phone covers/cases. They did an excellent job on a friend’s touchscreen phone and it’s quite an art putting one on perfectly with no bubbles. Apparently Apple doesn’t sell (have banned) Screen Protectors but some people advise getting one.

Thanks @truckdriver. I’ve just been reading reviews/comments from people answering the question: “Is iTunes required?” and many of them basically said no, other than having to activate with it which can be done at the Apple Store. So there must be many people using iPads without iTunes. I googled your cover and it looks like a great idea for your situation.
  • Your note "has its own iTunes" was taken while talking with an Apple employee correct? If so they are referring to the iPads, iPhone, or iPod Touch App Store. It can be confusing for someone who has yet to use an Apple product. Essentially Apple has made their own ecosystem. They play nice with each other but can't be used on PCs, except for iTunes.

iTunes first came out before Apple was the powerhouse they are today so they needed to make it PC compatible to get a foothold in the market. iTunes initially started out as just a place to buy music for iPods, then when the iPods started playing video you could purchase TV shows and then Movies.

Next came the iPhone and with that they wanted to allow people to purchase things from iTunes on the fly (since your phone could have internet access). IMO this was a smart move because impulsive people may spend $1 on an app the minute they hear about it from a friend, but might forget if they had to wait until they get home on iTunes to download it.

After that came the iPad which runs the same operating system and uses the same "rules" as what I just listed for the iPhone.

For you, I would recommend having the Apple employee set your iPad up. Have them use the email of your choice for your "App Store Account". Once this is done if you ever want to download iTunes you can use that email to login and all your purchases (no matter the device as long as they were made with that email account) will be there waiting for you.

As for iCloud I would use that same email to set up that account to keep everything easy for you. The things you can manage with iCloud can be found on any computer at iCoud.com so I would recommend heading there using your preferred email and try it out.
  • The more I read about iCloud, the more I think I won’t need it because the iPad will be the only i device I’ll have. Thanks again @lostgreybird for your information and advice. It’s appreciated.
  • @Chicadee, I have iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi+3G for over a year. The best advice that I can give is get one of 32GB. I realised very soon that I am allways short of memory and have to make difficult decision what to remove before downloading new games or other applications.
    Beside some 40 games I also have some reference applications (dictionaries), some life style apps (on cooking) and some travelling apps.
    I have about 1GB of photos and don't have any videos nor music.
    Go for 32GB.
  • Thanks @cosmo2503. I agree 32gb would be better. It’s good to hear how much others have downloaded as it confirms how much space you need. It’s going to cost quite a bit more because I have to buy the iPad 3 as iPad 2's are now only available in 16gb here downunder but I’m certain 32gb will be worth it. The plan is to buy it Sept. 26th and as long as I can work out how to buy/download the games (AB Seasons will be first as I want the levels PC users can’t access) and if all goes well, I can then buy Bad Piggies on the 27th :). Good timing eh!
  • I’m pleased to announce I’m now the proud owner of an iPad 3 32gb WiFi only and I love it. I had it activated at the Apple Store. They set me up with iCloud and iTunes which are both just on the iPad. (I was advised to get iCloud for my backups.) I didn’t have to put iTunes on my PC. I bought AB Seasons when I got home yesterday and today bought Bad Piggies. Touchscreens are a whole new ball game for me but I am getting used to it. In Seasons there’s been white bird eggs shooting off in all directions but where they’re supposed to go, black bird bombs exploding before they’ve left the sling and blue birds splitting long before they should. Note to self, don’t rest hands/fingers on screen lol. I also thought I’d lost the Safari browser but it turns out I hadn’t. It just doesn’t have a home page like I have on my PC’s Internet Explorer.

I’ve also found out why @truckdriver bought a keyboard to go with his iPad. I’ll probably get used to the miniature screen version but there’s going to be lots of “typos” in the meantime.

Thank you again everyone for your replies/advice. :)
  • @Chicadee, congratulations. Enjoy your device.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!