Ideas For This Website (Moved to the "New Forum"!) Page 20
  • 991 Comments
  • Oh!!! I had no idea! Actually, I probably did, but forgot... not unusual ;) Thanks for the help!
  • Does ABN have control over advertising? I've seen some... er... rather inappropriate video game advertisements on here.
  • Inappropriate video game ads? For example?
  • Some of the games where the females in them have large breasts, I assume, @angrybirdsspacemaster, I have seen a few.
  • yeah, i'm not one to ever come close to complaining about such ads, but i'm 39.... i am very open-minded and generally anything-is-fine type of person, but even I have seen some ads and thought about mentioning it because i figure you got a fair amount of kids on the site..... nothing horrible, just some ads that just give pause.... i will let you know a specific ad here in a bit if i see one..... still the best site ever !!!
  • @AngerManagement @crash We tend to show preference for mobile app developers who want to advertise, since we think that will align best with the average visitor of ABN. The idea of, let's say, "gifted female heroines" long predates mobile apps though (look at any super hero comic book, really), and I'm not sure how effectively we could remove them. Nonetheless, I'll be sure to show BL this thread.
  • @AMSlimfordy @Birdleader I thought I posted something here earlier, but it might have been gobbled by one of those blue error boxes.
    Anyway, just saw the "male gamer's only" add again a minute ago. Thought it might have been banished. Someone else commented on it, and I sent a screenshot to BirdLeader. He said he was working on it. I haven't clicked on it, so I don't know if it's as bad as it appears to promise.
  • Yes. The "males only" one that @mvlna2 mentioned was the advertisement that spurred me to mention this.
  • yes, lol, i just saw the one, and it's the WARTUNE one that says MEN ONLY at the top and then says WARNING MEN ONLY -- ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK over her cleavage.... rather the bottom 1/3 of cleavage.... i mean, i am enjoying it, but thats the one that made me pause the other day.... anyhow, i myself could care less, I'd rather the site get funded i suppose, but that's just the selfish me talking.... if anything it just *clashes* with the rest of the site which is wonderfully void of such topics/images....
  • wait ! --- i just saw an ad for the game "BEAVERS REVENGE" ...... (honestly!)
  • Hey all, appreciate the feedback. We don't control the ads that Google sends out, but I can block them. I'm trying to find the offending ads in the system so they no longer appear here.
  • @birdleader, I think this may be one of the ads that people are complaining about.

***** For those easily offended by scantily clad buxom women - do not click the link *******

http://angrybir.de/1aJtczE
  • @BirdLeader @Sparty83 -- That is definitely the add. I saw it just now. Funny that Birdleader doesn't seem to have seen it. No way am I going to click on it.
  • I'm keeping an eye out. If anyone happens to see it (and is daring and on a PC), could you RIGHT CLICK on the add and chose "Copy Link Location" or similar? Can help us target the ad source. Send it to us via PM (no need to post it publicly, yaknow)
  • @AMSlimfordy -- By PC, are you including Macs? (I have a Mac Book Air)
  • @AMSlimfordy -- Maybe more foolish than brave, right click on Mac opens the real website. URL coming in e-mail.
    Gaah! Hope this doesn't result in more adds I don't care for.
  • @amslimfordy, here is the link, but it's just a link to google leads/ double click;

REMOVED

Also, I have the entire web page's html code if you want it.
  • Thanks guys!
  • Just a bit more info if this helps. The image I posted was taken off a Win 7 box running chrome. It is also appearing on an XP box running IE 8.
  • @admins or anyone else - I just woke up and went to see my e-mail and there was a notification that someone had mentioned me somewhere, but when I clicked the link the page was not found. I think it means that the message/thread was removed, but just got a bit curious what was it about?
  • @AMSlimfordy @PJng -- As soon as you see what's in PJng's photo, you might want to remove photo.
  • What was in the photo, @mvnla2?
  • I've moved the photo to "Private". Not entirely sure what that means, but there ya go.
  • @AMSlimfordy -- Thanks!
    @AngerManagement -- The photo was an add for a game, I think in Chinese. The graphics were not suitable for a website with young kids (Somewhat worse than the Male Gamers Only add IMO, even if more cartoonish.)
    @all -- BirdLeader thinks he has banned the "Male Gamers Only" add, if you see it he would like to know.
  • Ill notify you all if I see any ads like these!
  • @AMSlimfordy @BirdLeader Maybe this can be done on main site and in forum when forum moves? I know all the admins are super busy, but if this were automated, it would take at most an extra second or two. As someone who has had her hand slapped a few times by you guys for various reasons, I would like to know if you're slapping my hand and why. Otherwise I wonder if I didn't hit the "post comment" button (I frequently hit CR and forget to hit the post button), or if some website error lost my comment.
    So the minimum suggestion would be that if you delete a member's comment, that member gets an e-mail saying comment deleted (and which one). This would not take any extra time once implemented. That could leave the member trying to decide why, so it would be really nice if the admin could click a few reasons like 1) spamming, 2) not relevant, 3) repetitious, etc. The biggest problem I can imagine is that if you delete a member altogether, they could get spammed big time with comment deleted e-mails, but perhaps you can implement this only for manual deletions.
  • When you get to choose your platform for your account you should also include consoles, such as the X-Box 360, PS3, WiiU, etc. for those who mainly play Angry Birds Trilogy, and for those who soon will play Angry Birds Star Wars on consoles. (Which I probably will.)
  • @mvnla2 I'm not a big fan of this one. If comments need to be deleted, deleting them should be easy.

@BBinMiami I can check the platform listing. Be advised that such scores should not be entered on LBs due to gaming discrepancies.
  • I just checked the master list. We have them there but disabled. Our reason was likely that the leaderboards pull some logic from your selected platform, and since those platforms shouldn't compete on LBs, we disabled them.
  • I think this should stay on first page, so people don't start a new forum for each suggestion. How about making it an announcement?
  • Good idea @mvnla2 :)

@AMslimfordy - Also, Could you please make 'Thread for PC users' an announcement Discussion. PC users always create new discussion instead of posting their problems in PC thread.
    Discussion for PC Users - http://www.angrybirdsnest.com/forum/discussion/2049/thread-for-pc-users-only-for-issuesproblem
  • Would it be possible on the leaderboard pages to add the following:

In the 'Diff High' column, include the point difference from 2nd place displayed below the 'Top Score!' if you're lucky/skillful enough to hold a top score?

It would be displayed as + for points ahead vs. - for points behind.
  • It's possible but we would have to remove the beautiful trophy, I think.
  • Sorry if this has already been covered, or if everyone on the planet already knows about it except me...

I like to visit The Bloated Pig, but because of my work and whatnot, I often have many tabs and other apps open on my PC (I use Chrome for my browser), and can't just keep checking back every five minutes to see if there's a new post.

I'd love to have a way to be notified (not through email) when there's a new post in a discussion, even if that tab or the browser isn't active.

I've tried browser extensions like Page Monitor, but it only works for a specific URL. Every time there's a page change, because the latest page number is part of the URL, Page Monitor doesn't know about the new page. So if I eventually remember to check back, I have to set up a new Page Monitor for the new latest page, which is a nuisance.

I have no idea what the solution might be, but if anyone can tell me a way to keep notified about new posts in a discussion like The Bloated Pig, so that I can keep track of conversations without having to remember to go back to that browser tab and refresh it all the time, that would be great.

Sometimes I have seen little notifications popup when there's a new post, but I think that only happens when ABN is in the foreground. Not sure how that works.

I'd really like to participate more actively on the forums, and keep up-to-date with what's going on without have to read a backlog of sometimes dozens and dozens of posts, but it's hard for me to do right now, when I have to multitask so much.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/info!
  • On the friends page, I'd welcome an extra column to jot down some notes per person. Just something to help me organize real names, locations/ time zones, and a summary of recent topics we've discussed.
  • I think @BirdLeader should start a forum for Pigineering. I know they have a web page on RocketPond, but I don't think most people know how to access it, and are missing a lot of the exciting things they do.
  • @amslifordy would you allow me to start ABSW II and AB GO! giveaway thread. Generally, my idea is to giveaway my telepod duplicates to randomly chosen member who participate in thread.
  • Okay, this might be asking too much, but I will throw it out there just in case it is feasible:

When I display "All Activity" there are a few filters such as "comments", "posts", "updates" and so forth. I can also narrow it down to just my friends' activities. What I would really like to do, is filter by game. I do not play SW2, Space, Bad Piggies, so I am not interested in comments from those games. It would be great if I could see just comments from "Rio", or from "ABO", or any of the other games I play.

I don't expect this is possible, but it sure would be nice! Right now, I have to sift through a starship load of SWII comments ;)
  • Just a little forum feedback ; is there a way to open topics by newest post first? Rather than starting at the first page and having to click to (for this thread) page 20 manually.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!