iCloud and Angry Birds?
  • Hey Angry Birds fans

We all want to have our Angry Birds data to be saved in the cloud that Rovio is supposed to make. We were all hoping that the "cloud" was coming in the summer. But it didn't. I have an iPhone 3GS, and have updated to iOS 5. I have this game called doodle jump, and when look in my iCloud account, doodle jump is under the documents and data tab. Does this mean you can transfer that data onto another devices? iPod, iPad, etc. Maybe Rovio could be using this iCloud for angry birds storage. I found this piece of info on apple about app data http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/apps-books-backup.html Tell us what you think about this.
  • 14 Comments
  • Unfortunately not. The iCloud thing you are seeing is simply backing up your data to the server(cloud) in the same way that your data previously backed up to your computer. So the only thing that changed is where it is backed up. Sorry, definitely not the Angry Birds sync we are all hoping for.
  • @FujiToast
    Yes, I was sorely disappointed when I realised that my precious 100+ hours of Angry Birds game-play was was still not transferable to another device. If Apple could come up with a safe, easy data transfer to other iOS devices, my life would be complete :P
  • @dGhost: We have a whole guide for transferring data between iOS devices. I do this every couple weeks (I play on iPad but transfer my progress to my iPhone periodically).

http://www.angrybirdsnest.com/2011/08/how-to-transfer-angry-birds-progress-between-ios-devices/
  • @AMslimfordy
    Thanks Slim. That thread I now have saved on my favourites :P What I was hoping for, though, is Apple themselves integrating an option such as this into iTunes, etc, so syncing data between devices only takes 1 second - say an option when syncing a device, whether you want to "transfer data or not." That would be nice.
  • Actually apps can transfer their file saves through iCloud individually, but...
    1) they have to be reprogrammed for it
    2) only iOS apps can use it, no cross platform implementations

I don't think Rovio is likely to make use of iCloud synching because AB is a cross platform game and customers will want to be able to transfer their files to non-iCloud devices.
  • I have been playing AB on my iPad. I just got an iPhone 4s and when I went to iTunes to sync the devices, not all of my apps transferred - I was especially sad to see that ABs didn't transfer to my phone. Do I have to buy the app for my phone as well?
  • Yes you would have to. I assume you have Angry Birds HD on your iPad. This cannot run on iPhone.
  • I think the problem is that Angry Birds can not be played on iPhone and iPad using the same app. For example, scriblenauts remix can be played on iPhone and iPad by using the same app. The app was made to fit both iPhone and iPad. Angry birds have two separate games, SD verision, and a HD verision. If the two verisions were one, a full hd verision that can fit on iPhone, syncing between devices would be a breeze. But sadly, that's not the case :(
  • While I admit on more than one occasion (innumerable actually) Angry Birds has unceremoniously influenced my work ethic and productivity, I wear my title of Angry Birds Master at work with pride.

That being said, I've seen how amazing HD apps look on the new iPad and desire SO MUCH to carry over my addiction to the beautiful screen. However, that is some reason not a possibility due to the lack of either a cloud sync by Rovio or via iCloud. It is possible to sync across HD apps to standard, as Chillingo has demonstrated with Cut the Rope both first one and Experiments. So there's really no excuse as to why Rovio hasn't made provisions for this.
  • Because they want more than just iOS transferring. They want inter-OS transferring. iOS to PC to Android and more.
  • Actually, they are dragging their feet about it to be honest...I'm a DBA, and could have the structure setup within a day...take another day for any competent programmer for the actual Angry Birds program to fulfill because they already know what they call each level internally. Give him two days to a week to put some real thought into it to protect against loss of connection, etc... such as save to a local file first, date stamp it, etc... Other than that, it's really just setting up the server(s) to accept input. While I am sure that they don't have the structure immediately available to them, I'm sure that they could get it easily with the financial resources they have or someone who already has a handle on that sort of thing could do it for them (for a fee of course). Other than that, it really shouldn't take that long at all to implement...now if they were looking to profit from it somehow (charge a yearly fee for instance), then things can get a little more complicated only because of the different payment systems they'd have to go through.
  • Any update on the cloud system?
  • Look, Where' s my water has iCloud support, so you can easily switch between iPhone/iPodTouch & iPad. So does Cut the Rope(which unlike Water and LIKE AngryBirds is not a universal app but split up between normal & HD).
    I can understand they might be looking for a way to also include android & WinPhone. But if it' s already there. Why not use it for the iOS devices?
  • For exactly that reason. There would be a risk of compatibility issues between iCloud and whatever system them implement.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!