When should / would you post your Strategy?
  • All those in the Bloated Pig will have heard me saying I'll never comment on this subject again. Well, not in the BP!
    But some intriguing posts appeared, and I was just wondering.....
  • 20 Comments
  • I'll start, my three rules:
    1. Post if I get a top score (not too onerous!)
    2. I give thanks to another flinger who gave you the tip for a really good score, proves their prowess and generosity, and lets other flingers know they're right
    3. I don't post if I followed the walkthrough
  • I agree with 1 and 2, but I would post if I followed walkthrough to get a score significantly higher than walkthrough, and mention anything I thought I did differently. Significant differences from any other strat are also worth mentioning.
  • I pretty much follow Hunnybunny on this. Once in a while I'll throw in a comment but it's situational.
  • 1. if it's not been discovered yet, even if it is not yielding the best best scores, it may be easier to accomplish, so it would still help those trying to improve on a score.... also, it may give others fresh ideas, or maybe someone will come along and tweak your strat a bit and now you have a winning strategy --sorta co-owned, which i think is nice

2. I usually post anytime i get in the top 50 or especially in the top 30.... this doesn't take very much time out of my year.... i usually read the other strats first to see if it was already spoke of

(almost every single time of course -- no matter how odd it is, and only about 4 or 5 levels have i read others strat.... not even on level 2-12 in ABBACADABRA, lol....)

but i do have the first post of a winning strat on *one* level in ABRACADABRA -- which oddly enuf isn't the one level I have top score in also in ABRACADABRA which although i thought of strat on my own, someone had spoke of it already...

(So in this situation i posted my strat and then a couple days later realize it had been thought of and posted -- so the best thing I could think of to do was to acknowledge that that person *had* thought of the winning strategy , just nobody knew for a while , lol-- at any rate i gave them props )

hard to say which i like more,lol.... it's nice to be #1, but it will fall someday..... but the one where i posted winning strat (i'm like 26th place now, but i was 4th or 2nd at the time--- can't top my own score now,lol) has been fun too -- that strat might become obsolete too.

3. On tournament levels i will post if it's a high score without power ups..... there seems to be some informal, fun competition to see who can do best with NPU's

4. When the urge strikes or is triggered by someone else(s) comment(s).....

thats about it for strategeies.... i post other times too but that was outside the scope of your question

• I generally post what happened when I get a top-3 score, and always when I set a new high score (over a dozen).

Usually my post acknowledges or tweaks an existing strategy, but sometimes I get a highscore though sheer stupidity and luck (hey, I'll take it!) or I might have a new approach to share. I like to read how others got their super high scores so I also give that information back.

P.S. to fellow AB Space players, give level 2-5 another look!
  • I'm in Trick or Treat at present. There's little left to be said in an episode so old just about every flinger has posted something, whether useful or just banal!
  • You are obviously free to set any rule for yourself Hunnybunny.
    ABN is about sharing your experience with Rovio games.
    As long as the comment is relevant, everyone is encouraged to share their experience. Small details, observations make a big difference down the line for avid flingers.

Two major "no no": posting a score, one word comments like "yay! awesome! etc ..." They'll be quickly removed by an admin.
  • Just putting in my 2 cents worth here, I will always post a comment thanking another player for sharing their method and especially if it got me a high score, or if I see that a posted strat can use a little tweaking, or another player @ mentions me. Last but not least, to whine or blow off steam when a level proves very difficult, for some strange unbeknownst reason whenever I do that, my score improves within 5 or 10 minutes. Ciao.
  • @SadBird -- The whine effect is well known. That's the reason for "Whine Tues & Thurs" in the BP.
  • is it possible to whine about every level all at the same time? Or is that spreading the magic to thin....
  • @surfcow - you are an evil person. And some wildly inappropriate deity will get you for that.

But we knew that and I, for one, like that in a person.
  • @crash - that's the only way known to absolutely guarantee you'll never crack the top 100 again. The whine (whinge) factor must be used judiciously.
  • Basically, anytime I have something significant enough to add. Almost always for a top ten score, if only to say thank you to another for posting their strategy. If it is a level I struggled long and hard to even break average, again I might thank the poster who got me there. I will post more often on an old thread that has few comments, if only to endorse a strategy, even if my score is well outside the top ten. I also try to get back ASAP if a question is sent my way. Rarely, to prompt high scorers to contribute.

I have also been known to play leaderboard police *blush*! Sometimes I get frustrated with abuse of the blue, so a few times I have commented on that. Please folks, read before you post, especially when choosing the blue highlight feature :)
  • PS Thank you for this thread :)
  • @BPC my pet hate is not the "blue" but the inane comments that hide some good tips
  • I like a little chatter, it is a nice way to get to know fellow flingers, and I often get a chuckle from some of the comments. Too much chatter is not good, but I would not want the walkthrough pages to become sterile and boring.
  • my personal view is that if someone took the time to write it, i can take the time to scroll by it -- in other words unless someone is being obscene or something of that nature I encourage everybody to write on ALL levels that they would wish too-- like @BPC said as well it's fun to get to develop personalities in my head for some of the people who post more heavily -- cause there are some fun ones out there a lot of times someone is describing my own experiance, lol

sometimes I'll add certain things i was able to do in a level even if it's not a "strategy" per se.... for instance "I WAS ABLE TO BREAK THIS BRICK WITH THE BLUE BIRD".... or , "ITS POSSIBLE TO SQUEEZE THE YELLOW BIRD THRU THIS OPENING"... things i think may be helpful, but not an entire strategy
  • Ha Ha all my hatred of inane stuff is blown away. Surfcow sang a little song to me in a Space walkthrough. Made me smile. A lot!
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!