ABN Math/Physics Tutorial -- A work in progress
  • 38 Comments
  • #6 - you left out the most important piece of information, what is the ABN average score? and should I just hit reset instead? lol!
  • @all Burbman was joking. Problem 6 as stated can be solved without additional info.
  • Nice job @mvnla2! I hope this will be a success!
  • @Dorito -- 6 really isn't the same as you posted in BP. Have you solved it yet?
  • @mvnla2, GREAT concept!! Please read what I posted at TBP!! :D
    Good luck I love this! :)
  • Escape velocity, in which you need to know the mass and radius of the planet you are trying to escape from. G is a gravity constant factor, I can't remember exactly what it is right off hand. In quick and simple terms, a planet the size (radius) of Jupiter, but with the mass of Earth is going to have a much lower gravity rate. Jupiter is a big ball of gas, but it still has lots of mass at the center which is supposedly extremely dense (kinda like a star's core), which more than makes up for the extra distance of gas that spans the planet. It's gravity is approx 2.5 times as strong as ours, and with it's size, it would a whole lot of power and speed beyond our current technology to escape Jupiter.
  • @all, yes joking, but that does factor into my decision tree after I have done the math to see what might be possible.
  • Square roots, or inverse squares in an equation, are usually involved in things involving moving away from an object. The same applies in sound waves. Each time you get twice the distance from a sound source, the power of the sound is inversely squared.
  • mvnla2, you know what assumptions do to people ;)
  • @adults...I know this is not my forum... but this is for our younger peeps...we can help by pm'ing mvnla2, and lending a hand with our math, science and teaching skills!! :D
  • Unless we are talking about hitting more debris off of a cliff, or an otherwise unstable structure, a red bird is not going to be able to mop up more than a couple thousand points, no matter how much debris is already partially destroyed. But it would depend on that. I'd say 45,000 + 10,000 for the pigs, 30,000 for extra birds, and another 3,000 points of collateral damage, bringing my estimate to 88,000 points.

If say there's still a structure largely in tact that you may have to use another bird (i.e. can't get the pigs on the same shot), take away 10,000 points for the extra bird and the 3,000 collateral, and add 20,000 points of collateral, bringing us up to 95,000 points. So on and so forth.
  • @all -- Thanks for comments! Hope you enjoy!
    @dollarbill Please post answers with problem number in Tutorial answer forum. Don't want people to see answer before they try to solve problem on their own.
  • Oh, younger people. Sorry.
  • @Bill -- The first 5 problems are for everyone. But please post answers in answer forum. Must be a while since you were in school. The problem should be solved as stated. Correcting the teacher's assumptions is a no-no. ; )
  • Awesome job @Mvnla2! !! :) think it will be a big help and sounds challenging:)
  • @mvnla2 I like this new question better, it is more challenging, and adding debris makes it more realistic! Still trying to solve; is the question looking for the answer with the most points?
  • @Dorito -- I am assuming your goal is to get as many points as possible.
  • @all -- No one has posted answers yet (other than to Slim's equations). Is problem 6 too difficult or too easy?
  • @mvnla2 - I thought it was for young people, of which I am not one.
  • @Burbman -- It is mostly for younger people, although the first 5 problems (Slim's equations) probably require some knowledge of physics.
  • @Dorito @dollarbill2208 Would appreciate some feedback on tutorial in general, specifically:
    Is it better to have 2 forums, one for problems and one for answers?
    Are the problems hard enough or too hard?
  • @mvlna2 I think that you're doing great! Having two forums prevents accidental answers, and the problems give a good challenge!
  • New problem added.
  • @mvnla2 in question 7, is 50 it's maximum height reached, before dropping to 6m when it makes contact, and we want p and Ek at the 6m height? :) Also, we're ignoring air resistance, yeah? :)
  • @Laurence -- Thanks for the comments. I added some clarification to the problem.
  • Added the link to the Desmos plot of big red.
  • Added Slim's next equation as problem 8.
  • I'll tweak the writing, if you don't mind.
  • @Slim -- Thanks for the help. Notice it's solved.
  • Okay, I came here to see what's this thing. And I understood nothing. I am just hopeless at anything related maths. :D
  • @Mikkor -- If you would like some help with math, let me know what kind of problems give you trouble. Number 6 is the easiest. Slim's equations require some knowledge of physics, and are hard for adults. I will be providing hints on #7, which is harder than I intended. Check back later -- Will be posting more, easier problems.
  • @mvnla2 Thanks, I'll try number six. :)
  • @Mikkor -- Try 9 and 10 also. They are easier than 6.
  • @all Just revised #7 to make it easier, and I added an easier version, as well as a lot of hints
  • Laurence tried to solve the original problem, which was much harder.
    FYI -- When I realized that the problem as stated was harder than I intended, it took me a while, not to mention paper and pencil (that archaic implement) to solve it. : (
    How do you do algebra these days without pencil and paper? And don't tell me Mathematica or Matcad; I assume they don't allow to use those in algebra class. Even Slim had to use pencil and paper for his math final.
    For the record, here it is:
    Assume you lob a red bird (small) from 1 meter above the ground to 50 meters above the ground. It's impact point on the structure is 6 meters above the ground, and 80 meters horizontally from the starting point. The gravitational force is the same as on earth (9.8m/s^2)What is the bird's mometum and kinetic energy on impact? State units for answers. (Hint -- some of this data is irrelevant. Oops, not true, you need it all.)
    Assumptions:
    gravitational force = 9.8 m/s^2
    Mass is 2 abm (angry bird mass unit)
  • @mvnla2: How's the experiment going?
  • @brave1966 -- This forum has been dead for almost 1/2 year. So I don't think anyone was really interested in it, and I have no desire to continue it. Sorry, but I don't think you're that interested anyway.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!