Around the World
  • This thread is for fellow nesters to add stories and photographs from all over the world. I know some you can't, or choose not to travel, but there is no reason why you can't talk about interesting places in your home country. ABN members live in 35 countries, and have visited 80, so there's loads of scope! Who knows, you may inspire your fellow nesters to fly away and see the world.
    Remember, normal Nest rules apply, do not reveal your city if you are under twenty one
  • 23 Comments
  • Just want to keep this somewhere where I can find it. Plan to post details of my vacation soon.
  • Well you could have said something nice, or negative, or just non committal about my post ;-)
    That really is the best put down ever mvnla2 lol
  • @Hunnybunny -- Mega apologies! I didn't mean it as a put-down. I probably didn't post anything in the BP either, because you posted this while I was on vacation, and at best I was able to lurk a little.
    I just reread your travel description above, and this is even better than the one in the BP.
    Have you ever been to Yellowstone? The biggest geyser there is called Old Faithful, because it erupts (or used to erupt) every hour.
  • @mvnla2 no offence taken, my sense of honour couldn't resist the post. Never seen Old Faithful, our only travels to America are Florida and Boston, when my sister lived there. New York and West Coast on the list though
  • @Hunnybunny (other Europeans and all those who live in small, densely populated countries) -- The only way to appreciate the vastness of the U.S. (and Canada) is to drive long distances through miles and miles of farmland and wilderness. I highly recommend taking a week or two to visit the major national parks in the mid-west / west. A very short list would include Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Crater Lake, Yosemite, Death Valley (not in the summer), the Grand Canyon, Bryce and maybe Zion, and Mesa Verde. Well, that list would be a minimum of 8 days, not including driving between locations. : D I've managed not to see Mesa Verde, the last time we planned to go there it was closed because of forest fires. I'm sure I've missed a lot of people's favorite park, not to mention any cities, and I totally left out driving a section of US 1 (along the Pacific), which would be an absolute must. You can fit that in before or after San Francisco (between Crater Lake and Yosemite), since no way are you going to miss San Fran.
  • @Theanonymoussomeone -- Where was that pic taken? Any idea what it really is?
  • @mvnla2 Louisiana. Have you heard of the show Duck Dynasty? It's hilarious.
  • @theanonymoussomeone -- I don't watch many TV shows, so no, I've never heard of the Duck Dynasty. If it's not news or golf, I don't watch TV, except for movies from Netflicks.
  • Oh. Well, have you heard of Duck Commander duck calls?
  • @Hunnybunny -- Road Trip travel report is up.
  • Lovely trip, lovingly told, @mvnla2
    Never done an American road trip, but do know about single lane roads with wood (logging) trucks, in both Wales and Ireland, although ours tend to be the opposite in annoyance: driving far too slowly.
    We always have a map in the car, so much better than SatNav.
    Good car, good scenery, good wine, what more do you need?
  • @Hunnybunny -- I didn't mention that we had no internet and no power for many hours, but that's another story. Oh, and thanks for the compliment.
  • And I thought I was good. @mvnla2 You are a master of making long dragging stories that I haven't read all of as of this comment. I bestow upon you a glass crown of long storytelling. You are one of us now.
  • @tas it's worth reading, as are your tales :-)
  • @theanonymoussomeone Dragging? Really? Thought you of all people would be fascinated by the geography of CA.
    Did you at least look at the photos?
  • I called it dragging because it was more interesting and much longer than any of mine.
  • Hmm .. Dragging must have a different meaning in the Queen's English than it does in American.
  • Lost in translation! lol
  • To me, it's a good thing. And now we're off track.
  • This is also a little "off track". But two of the most memorable people I ever met cruising:

Mavis
    An elderly, Jewish, rich, widow. Had a house somewhere in England, I'm not sure she really knew where. She spent most of her time cruising, or at her villa in Majorca. She normally cruised with Cunard. When asked about P&O cruises, she replied "Darling, never again, they're full of awful people with tattoos, who eat with their fingers"

Maisie
    Maisie lives in LA. She hates flying. Four days on a train to get to New York. Cruise Queen Mary to Southampton, five nights. Four or five nights in an hotel. Queen Victoria to Norway, Iceland and the Faroe Islands (where we met her), that's another fifteen nights. One night in yet another hotel, then a fourteen night cruise, Norway again, but this time really into the Arctic circle. Another five nights in an hotel. Queen Mary back across the Atlantic to NY. And then the train to LA. Reginald, her husband, when asked what would be his favourite holiday, replied, "Airplane, two weeks on the beach, flight home."
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!