Odd Question (Of course it's mine!)
  • I was asked an Angry Birds question today that I've never thought of nor do I know the answer to. Is there anyplace here (or anywhere else) where you can learn what's simply going on in the game? Or put another way: is there anywhere that you can learn what's going on in the game while you're busy playing? For example: There's a eye that pops up at the top left of the screens sometimes. If you don't know why that's on the pages that it's on, where do you go to learn that stuff? Is there a central place other than watching the Walkthroughs where you go to learn how to play?
    Many thanks in advance everyone!
  • 15 Comments
  • Ah, Gracie, that's the 64 million dollar question. ABN walkthroughs would be the best, but only if everyone with a really good score posted their strategy, which most flingers do not. My best advice, find someone with consistently good scores, make friends thru ABN and ask them for advice. Try Estars videos, which sort of encapsulate the best shots by the good flingers, she is indeed a good flinger
    Don't know about the eye you mention
  • Upon reading the first comment from Hunnybunny I confess to inhaling my tea. I thought "Oh no!! You've got to be kidding? They don't notice the eye? How can that be?" I thought maybe I'd fallen on something unbelievable yet special. I have noticed the eye several times, of course, but I don't really know how to utilize it to better my scores or if I want to do that depending on what it might 'cost' me to use it. Then I saw the post from AMslimfordy and I knew I wasn't alone. I know so very little though that I guess I'll be attending that classroom. I hope while I'm there I can also learn about the dragon, the eagle and a couple of other things that jump about in my Angry Birds games. I'm also eager to pass this answer back to the person who asked me because I'm curious as to what he has seen jumping around. Having said that isn't it amazing that somebody can put out a game like this WITHOUT INSTRUCTIONS, and everyone is not only interested but also extremely eager to learn? I thought for sure there had to be Angry Birds instructions for game play someplace and I would be told where they were if I only asked. I'm amazed!!! As always my thanks to both of you for your time.
  • Hey Gracie, A year ago when I first started playing I didn't know what "the eye" was either, and was not aware of Mighty Eagle. One day I happened to be on a difficult level and became curious about the eye so I clicked on it to see what would happen. Down flopped what I now know is bait. Suddenly, WOOOOSH!!! Completely gone was the structure and pigs I had long been trying to destroy. I was so shocked, and amazed I started laughing hysterically! I think that was the day I became hooked on Angry Birds (but rarely play for feathers).
  • Thank you BPC. If you read my post over at Angry Birds Anonymous, you'll know that I'm NOT addicted. I always play games just for the total destruction of my sleeping and eating habits, sex life, social life and the fun of a little pat on the head, don't you? I'm still waiting for someone to pat me on the head though FOLKS!!!!
  • there's a couple of instructions.... usually a 3 frame cartoon with a finger involved.... no words tho , which is great.... no language barriers.
  • @Gracie -- consider your head patted. :-)
  • Back on subject, I highly recommend the tutorial videos, which you can find under the main navigation: Sections > Guides. I think just about everything you need to know is there, except maybe the nuances of putting it all together as a strategy.

Although very often the top scorers don't post their strategies in the walkthroughs, enough people are generous enough to take the time to do so, and some even post screen captures and videos. I'll never be a top scorer anyway, but I always make sure to post a thank you when someone's strategy post helped me get a higher score. Make sure to mention the strategy poster in your thank you comment so they get notified.

I think that's the best way to encourage more people to share their strategies. I've found most Nesters to be very generous and kind folks, and many do indeed respond when asked directly about a high-scoring strategy. If they don't, I just assume they have notifications turned off, or whatever, and don't jump to the conclusion that they're intentionally being secretive.

Hope that helps, @Gracie -- and wishing you successful flinging!
  • To crash: Um, yeah, thanks crash. I'll be on the lookout for that one! Cartoon, hmm, finger, yupper I got it.

JunkenMetel: Gosh, I love that name!! Thank you so much for that pat on the head!!! My life feels almost totally complete now. Gee! I don't really know what to do next. Except to address your other comment. When my pal approached me with this question (the one way up there on top that started this post), I think he was thinking of something like the instructions that go with say, Monopoly. You know, pre-printed, how-to-win-this-game-or-at-least-play-like-you-know-how instructions. Something that says this is here for this reason, and when you see that, this is happening. If you see this, you know you're heading in the right direction. You know what I mean? How to play Angry Birds. Way back in the day, did it ever come with instructions? I wanted to say No, it probably never came with pre-printed instructions, but I wasn't here then, so what do I know? For all I know, maybe it did. So I asked. I knew it was gonna be an odd question. At one time I actually convinced myself that what separates me from the really really good players is that they have the directions. They know exactly what they're doing. HA! I think they're just really good players! So in other words, I think I did know that, and I do read what the posters say. But I was asking about something more "done by the makers" I guess. From the other comments I've gotten here it looks like there is no place to go to learn how to play and you learn as you go. But then if you don't find what that eye means as you go along, what does that cost you? So I'm torn.

I've been to Lesson Three of AMslimfordy Classroom, and I've sent my pal there too. (But if we understand THAT correctly, Mighty Eagle, for example, isn't really part of the game per se. Mighty Eagle CAN help you move your game along if you get stuck and if you elect to go that route which I don't. I'd rather beat my head against the computer continually until I have won each and every level on it's own merits with my own three hands and bleary eyes. If I understand it correctly, you can play the whole game and never use Mighty Eagle IF that is your choice, right?) It just seems like there should be more to truly understand it. Maybe we are missing something. I don't know.

And I have birds to fling so I must go. Best of luck to all of you and good luck flinging!! P.S I'll never be a top scorer either so don't feel pooped upon!!
  • @Gracie -- The ME also creates an entirely new game for each level -- getting total destruction (TD) and being rewarded with a feather. Look at some of the ME walkthroughs to get an idea. There was actually a badge awarded for TD on one level of Seasons Greetings, before Rovio fixed it so mere mortals could obtain TD.
  • @mvnla2: Oh great. You mean this is a "normal, everyone plays it just as they do Rio board 5-12" part of the game of Angry Birds that I've never heard of before? I guess I will have to watch several more of the Walkthroughs to see what you are talking about. It was my understanding that if you get really, really stuck on a board, where suicide keeps crossing your mind, you can use ME to get out of it IF YOU WANT, or you can keep bashing your head against that rock thinking dire thoughts and hoping to get lucky. (This happened to me on Rio 5-12. I spent an embarrassing amount of time there trying to get my three stars. I remember thinking some really bad thoughts back in those dark, dark days.)
  • @Gracie -- The ME will let you skip a level if you're stuck (one per hour, I think). Under walkthroughs at the left of the gold bar at the top of the page, towards the bottom, it says Mighty Eagle. That is what you want to look at to find out how to get TD and earn a feather. Just think of all the levels you can play!
  • Been there, done that. Well, there's no arguing with that fella is there? His way or get out of the way. See? I come from the old school where if you don't earn it, you can't have it. Using ME would make me feel like I've cheated to get somewhere. So I guess I feel you should have to stay with a board until you get through all on you own. Having said that I'd also have to say that since I have had that wonderfully warm and gooey problem with Rio 5-12, I suppose it's nice to know that this thing exists to get you through if you can't do it. And it looks like an extra bunch of boards to play to get yourself some feathers. So I'm cool with it. I wonder if AMslimfordy remembers having this discussion with me before? Have a nice day Kids!
  • Hey @Gracie -- Don't feel bad. We old-timers had the advantage of being around when the ME was introduced, so all the explanation was front and center, we didn't have to hunt it down. Glad you found the FAQs, which were a group effort, as was the Glossary (also found under About).
  • Ooooh! Something else for me to look into. They need to post a big sign at the door cause I've been hanging around here for awhile now and I've never seen these things. Maybe something that will flash at you after the first time you successfully sign in would work. Or something like this thing that flashes "Draft saved at ?time?" would work. I never knew they were here so I never knew to look for them. How many sites do you know of with a Glossary? I don't know too many. Yeah, they need to post a sign. Thank you mvnla2 for the heads up!
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!