How to Make Videos of Your AB Strats to Share
  • This is more of a question than an answer: how to make videos of AB strats? Here's what I researched so far...

1) PC or MAC desktops or laptops: it seems that there are plenty of software programs out there that work in the background to capture your display screen actions in real time, then you can trim, edit, and save your videos for upload onto YouTube or other server(s), then share the link(s) as a post/comment on ABN. Some programs may already be resident on your systems, for example, QuickTime Player on the latest OSx bundle may work for you. I haven't investigated the possibilities on a PC running Windows, so I don't know. Some third-party programs seem to be available, paid, shareware, or freebie. Fraps, for example.

2) iOS mobile devices (iPhones, iPads, etc.): running iOS version 6.1.2 or less, there is a way to "jailbreak" your iOS mobile device(s) using freebie software by evasion.com, then uploading the Cydia "app store," then purchasing Display Recorder (US$4), to record your on-screen actions in AB or any other app. A) On OLDER iOS mobile devices currently running version 6.1.3, there IS a way to "downgrade" your operating system to 6.1.2, and thus "jailbreak," but it is risky. Be sure to make a complete backup of your mobile device before attempting to downgrade your operating system. Follow the instructions exactly. B) On a NEWER iOS already running version 6.1.3, then you're completely stuck. Do not attempt to downgrade your iOS operating system. You'll be "shut down" and your device completely rendered useless without a hard reset, in which case all your data files will be lost.

3) Apple caught wind of this "evasive" strategy recently and quickly made a "patch" in iOS 6.1.3 that blocks third-party "app stores" to protect their own "app store" and its authorized app sellers. If you go to Apple's App Store in search of an appropriate display screen recorder, you won't find one. It seems it has something to do with protecting copyright of app developers and to what extent copyrighted material may be used or implemented before being construed as copyright infringement. On Apple's App Store, you may find an app called, appropriately, Display Screen Recorder. Don't buy it! Read the reviews. It won't do what you expect.

4) Most of us "Nesters" know that AB responds differently on different platforms. It is not their fault, that is, Rovio or ABN. Some platforms seem to have an advantage over other platforms, on certain levels. But on the other levels, the other platforms seem to have a distinct advantage. For example, I have played AB Facebook Friends on a PC desktop and laptop, a MacBook Pro, an iPhone, and two different iPad versions. The difference seems to be about 50/50. Despite the advantages one platform may have over another on a particular level, it seems to me to be about equal, that is, on the other levels, the other platform may have the advantage. Does that make sense? With that being said, all of us Nesters may have multiple choices of platforms, or we may be limited to just one. Although I have multiple choices, I prefer playing AB on an iPad mini, which brings me back to the screen recording issue on a mobile device.

5) After my research on the Net over the last 7-10 days, I discovered the following software to mirror my real-time actions from my iPad to my MacBook Pro or PC Windows. The software can be downloaded at AirServer.com. It is free for a week's trial or US$4 via PayPal, no expiry. It does NOT record display screen video! Instead, it allows you to MIRROR your actions on your mobile device onto your desktop or laptop, Mac or PC, wirelessly, or "semi-tethered," that is, both your mobile device and Mac or PC must be linked simultaneously to the same wi-fi network. Then, from your Mac or PC, you can use resident screen video-capture software or third-party screen video-capture software. Capture your video in real time, then trim, edit, save, and share.

I made a couple of test videos on AB today using AirServer and QuickTime Player via my iPad mini and MacBook Pro. Now I'm in the "trim, edit, save, share" stage. If you may have a better solution, software suggestions, tips or tricks, to make AB strat-videos to post/comment or otherwise share with other Nesters, please do! Thanks!

--muK :)
  • 7 Comments
  • @Muk Hummel -- Very interesting. I hope you will post links to your test videos in this forum when you are ready.
  • @muK thanks for sharing and investigating this material in depth. I was not aware of the "patch" Apple did and it now makes me even more protective of my on iOS 5 running iPad2. I never updated after the initial jailbreak, in fear of it all not working. I was tempted though when my husband got an iPad mini and offered to jailbreak it for me and let me upgrade mine (I think it was iOS 6.1.2 at that time). But because everything still works like a dream on my iPad2, I never did update.
    I hope the AirServer method is going to be a succes and would love to see the results :D
  • I wish there was a more convenient way to record on new iOS devices. I'm afraid to jailbreak mine.
  • How do you do it on Android (Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0?)
  • @theanonymoussomeone , I was able to make some vids on my older android phone. I used the app MyPhoneExplorer and the windows program. Connected my phone via usb. Thats the only way to mirror your phone to the pc. The resolution of my old phone was low enough that the update/refresh rate on the pc was fast enough to capture. With my new phone, the screen resolution is so much higher that the update/refresh rate is too slow to make any decent vids with.

Both phones were NOT rooted. The old phone was pre ice cream sandwich. My new phone is Jelly Bean.
  • There is a software I believe is called Reflector that works the same way as your no. 5 I know it works as I know @DonnMega use it. (It might be the same you refering to). I tried it but had some small issues but it could be that I use PC and not Mac. Anyhow for me no. 2 method works fine with IPad2 and iOS 6.1.2 but what I been told gets to laggy with newer hardware.
  • @muk as @ernor63 mentioned I use a software called Reflector which allows for airplay mirroring between iDevices and Mac/PC. sounds very similar to the software you are already using. I use QuickTime for film capturing and editing, works very well for what it is intended for.

a couple of things i'll mention to folks who are deciding on what method to use for filming. the pro's of using airplay mirroring is that you are utilizing your mac/pc hard drive so space is much larger. i can airplay mirror for an hour an chew up 3gb space, which might be an issue for folks with smaller capacity iDevices using display recorder. display recorder will not run well not matter what settings you use on an iPad 3 or 4, it is do to the retina display. it will lag and make the game unplayable. i use display recorder on my iPhone 5 without issue and very much like the ease of it. to sum up there are solutions for recording video play no matter what your device and does not need to be jailbroken. but you will need to invest some time and experiment with different software to make it useful. i can say firsthand that filming my play has helped me immensely.

this is a very amateur video I made awhile ago showing how airplay mirroring works. i'm not claiming to be the most talented videographer and am filming with my iPhone while trying to operate my iPad and Mac so excuse the shakiness :-)

http://youtu.be/Io6PzKFndyo
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!