How many countries have ABN members visited?
  • @hunnybunny asked how many countries ABN members have visited, so I thought I'd start a forum to see if anyone else is interested.
    List is divided into 2 parts: countries where ABN members who are listed on the map live, and other countries visited by ABN members.

Countries ABN Members Live in 37
    Australia
    Austria
    Bangladesh
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Bulgaria
    Canada
    Chile
    Czech Rep.
    China
    Denmark
    England
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    India
    Indonesia
    Ireland
    Italy
    Malaysia
    Mexico
    Netherlands
    Peru
    Philippines
    Poland
    Portugal
    Puerto Rico (US territory)
    Russia
    Scotland
    Singapore
    Slovenia
    South Africa
    South Korea
    Spain
    Switzerland
    Sweden
    United States
    Wales

Other Countries and Territories ABN Members Have Visited 94
    Andorra
    Antarctica
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Argentina
    Bahamas
    Bahrain
    Barbados
    Belarus
    Belgium
    Belize
    Bermuda
    Bolivia
    Bosnia / Herzegowina
    Brazil
    Brunei
    Cayman Islands
    Chile
    Columbia
    Cambodia
    Corsica (French)
    Costa Rica
    Croatia
    Cuba
    Cyprus
    Czech Republic
    Dominican Republic
    Ecuador
    Egypt
    Estonia
    Faroe Islands
    Fiji
    Fuerteventura (Canary Islands, Spanish dependency)
    Gambia
    Gibraltar (British dependency)
    Gran Canaria (Canary Islands, Spanish dependency)
    Grand Cayman Islands
    Greece
    Haiti
    Honduras
    Hong Kong
    Hungary
    Iceland
    Isle of Wight
    Israel
    Ivory Coast
    Jamaica
    Japan
    Jersey (UK)
    Jordan
    Kenya
    Kosovo
    Lanzarote (Canary Island, Spanish dependency)
    Laos
    Latvia
    Liechtenstein
    Lithuania
    Luxembourg
    Macau
    Macedonia
    Madeira (Portugal)
    Maldives
    Malta
    Mauritius
    Monaco
    Mongolia
    Montenegro
    Morocco
    New Zealand
    Northern Ireland
    Norway
    Palau
    Panama
    Palestine
    Paraguay
    Peru
    Serbia
    Sri Lanka
    St. John (US Virgin Islands)
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    St. Lucia
    St. Martin (France and Netherlands)
    St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands)
    Tanzania
    Tenerife (Canary Island, Spain)
    Thailand
    Tiawan
    Trinadad / Tobago
    Tunisia
    Turkey
    United Arab Emirates
    Uruguay
    Vatican City
    Venezuela
    Vietnam
    Virgin Islands (British)

Wikipedia lists 206 sovereign states. The term "country" is apparently not precise, and is more likely to include dependent territories.
    References:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_continent
  • 112 Comments
  • I have been to Spain, Portugal, Bulgaria, Scotland, Wales and live in England:]
  • @AngerManagement -- If you look at map group; I will correct error about UK vs separate countries. Sorry
  • I have visited Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland (live in England), Republic of Ireland, France, Germany, Belgium, Austria, Italy, USA, Canada, Turkey, Luxembourg, lots in Caribbean - too tired to sort out separate countries!
    Though have a confession when we were staying in NE France one time we had breakfast in France, coffee in Belgium, lunch in Luxembourg, afternoon tea (ok a beer) in Germany and dinner back in France! Have been to Belgium and France for hols but that was my only foray into Germany and Luxembourg!
    Caribbean was a cruise but we did pop into a lot of places!
    Austria was a conference for work so not much sightseeing!
    Think that's it - I'll pop back if I think of any more!
  • I've been to:

Argentina
    Chile, I lived here about a year.
    Colombia, I lived here about a year.
    Ecuador, I lived and had a business here for about 2 years.
    Panama
    Peru, I lived here about a year.
    Venezuela
    And a few other Countries I'm forbidden from mentioning, but I can say they were in Africa, The Middle East and Asia.

• @Werewolf69 -- Intriguing. Unfortunately there's not much I can do with[out] specific countries, and those [regions] are ones that are mostly unlisted as ABN member's homes or places visited.
    [edited 4/6/13]
  • I've been to Mexico, Canada, Venezuela, Great Britain, and The Virgin Islands.
  • My list outside the US is short: Canada (only across the border to BC), Mexico, Italy, France, Spain and Tunisia. I have been to over 30 US states though!
  • I've been to:
    Mexico
    Brazil
    Peru
    Boliva
    Columbia
    Panama
    Equador
    Canada
    Spain
    France
    Italy
    Croatia
    UK
    Puerto Rico
    Virgin Islands (and misc islands in Caribbean)
    Did a trip around the USA, so have been to numerous states
    And I'm hoping to get to Australia one day.
  • @all I will update list as time allows. Thanks for your contributions.
  • I've been to: US, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Barbados, Antigua, Cuba, Jamaica, St. Kitts, St. Martin, St. Lucia, Columbia, Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Fuerteventura, Madeira, Morroco, Egypt, Mauritius, Dubai, Spain, Portugal, Monaco, Italy, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, FYR Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Germany, England, Scotland, The Republic of Ireland, Thailand, Hong Kong, Malaysia, India. And probably more...
    I live in Wales.
  • Also: Bahrain, Jersey, Austria, Switzerland, Corsica, Gibraltar, Malta, St. Thomas, St. John.
    Off to Norway, Iceland and the Faroe Islands this summer.
    The link I mentioned is www.travelerscenturyclub.org which lists 321 countries and territories, but some are a bit suspicious, such Turkey (Europe) and Turkey (Asia). Just making it easier for members to get to 100 I suppose!
  • I am coming from Bosnia and Herzegovina which was integral part of ex Yugoslavia at time I was born.
    I have been in Macedonia (officially FYRM) in Ohrid while it was part of Yugoslavia.
    Serbia (Belgrade, Novi Sad, Kragujevac) - while it was in Yugoslavia
    Slovenia (Bled) - while it was in Yugoslavia
    Czech Republic (Prague)
    Poland (Krakow and Katowice)
    Hungary (Budapest)
    Austria (Vienna and Graz)
    Germany (Frankfurt am Main and Munich)
    Italy (Ancona, Bologna, Venezia, Verona, Trieste, San Marino)
    Croatia numerous times, each year, all across country, each important place.
    Greece (Athenas, coast)
    Turkey (Istanbul and coast)
    Spain (Barcelona)
    Monaco
    France (Nice)
  • Honestly i haven't visited any country... I am from Bangladesh
  • I live in the Netherlands and have seen most of Europe, but also Kenya, Tanzania, Ivory Coast and Egypt. Really want to see Australia, China and Japan some day!
  • Nice idea @mvnla2.
    I've visited the United States, England (lived there for a couple of years), Wales, & the Dominican Republic.
  • @lamia -- Your pin on the map is very important, since it's in Bangladesh, which most if not all of us haven't visited.
  • I've visited Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and New Zealand (my first trip). Same as @TenJoker I want to go to Japan someday! (my father often to go to Japan for business, so I really want to go there)
  • @mvnla2, your reply to my post has left me quite perplexed, from what the Topic question reads "How many countries have ABN members visited?", I surmised that it meant all Countries in the World, not just the ones on your list. So I put the Countries in South America that I've been to and lived at

To further add to my bewilderment, you state that the Continent of Africa isn't on your "so called" list, where my dear do you think that South Africa is located? As far as the Continent of Asia goes, where do you think that China is located? Also, I must mention that the "Middle East" is not a Continent, but rather a Region encompassing several Countries.

Perhaps you should rephrase the question to "How many Countries have ABN members been to that are part of the list?"
  • @all -List should include any country mention up to noon 4/6 PDT. Please let me know if I missed any.
    @Werewolf69 -- Just updated list. ; ) I think I have all countries mentioned, either in the lived in list or the visited list. The countries in the lived in list are not repeated in the "other countries people have visited" list.
    Sorry my previous reply was confusing, not to mention "with" should be "without". I was talking about the countries you couldn't mention, and I did say "mostly unlisted." Calling the Middle East a continent was just sloppy.
  • Actualy Dubai is city in United Arabian Emirates
  • OK -- Countries I have visited: Canada, US (where I live), Mexico, Japan, Turkey, Tunisia, Greece, Montenegro, Croatia, Italy, France, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, England, Scotland. Think I managed to miss Wales.
    I would really like to go to China and Egypt, but not this year. Next country to be added to my list is probably Hungary.
    I've been to 49 of the 50 United States (not Alaska), and British Columbia, Ontario, and Quebec in Canada.
  • @cosmo2503 -- Thanks, will fix next update.
  • You should go to Alaska on your next *0 birthday, @mvnla2;)
  • We all seem obsessed with this!
    I forgot Vatican City, although BP insists in the rules that religion is not to be discussed, I guess you can figure out something from my omission.
    I am not too well today, so rather than curling up on the sofa and feeling sorry for myself, I tracked down the 195 countries in the world. Thanks @AngerManagement for confirming this, it's rather confusing, with all those dependancies, territories, etc. No England, Wales, Scotland on the list, just United Kingdom. Many of those Caribbean islands missing too, US Virgin Islands, just part of US, etc, etc. BUT out of the 195 ABN members live in or have visited 76. Come on you birders, we need more countries to show worldwide domination of birds over pigs!!
  • @mvnla2 we both seem to be counting......
    Albeit you are listing
  • @hunnybunny -- Hope you feel better soon. Did you look at my references to Wikipedia? They list 206 sovereign states. Where did you and Angermanagement find a list with 195. The 206 does [not] include England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland. Would be interesting to compare.
  • I knew out of memory, @mvnla2;)
  • @mvnla2 Wikipedia, list of sovereign states, only those in blue, bold type count 195
    @ AngerManagement no I didn't
    Getting a bit pedantic now, you should just keep on listing with your rules, nice to see nesters all over the world
  • @AngerManagement -- Not sure what list Honneybunny is using, but it could well be the same list. The Wikipedia list of sovereign states is divided into 2 parts 195 UN member and observer states, and 11 "other states".
    On that list Taiwan (the Republic of China) is counted separately. See references at end of main post.
  • @Angermanagement @honneybunny -- The more I look at the Wikipedia list, the more confusing it is. Did you literally count the number of states in blue, bold type? I guess I was incorrect in saying that Tiawan counted as one of the 195.
  • Yeah, I don't really count it as a country, but some people do, so I was just letting you know, in case somebody says they are from there, to cunt it as China (just like Macau, or Hong Kong).
  • @mvnla2 I think you are in the US, but here in the UK there is a quiz show called "Pointless" It's difficult to explain the format without taking up your valuable time. But one of the presenters on the programme, always says "Sovereign States, recognised by the UN" are the only acceptable countries as answers. It's a sort of joke, the amount of times he says it. There are 195 of these.
    But as I said before, this is supposed to be fun, lets just list!!
  • Yeah, I watch that show, @hunnybunny:) Learn't alot of what I know from it:]
  • @AngerManagement got one over on you. Gibraltar is NOT an island. It's very attached to the bottom of Spain!
  • We all should learn something new everyday:D
  • We all do learn something everyday, @hunnybunny:D Thanks again for the interesting little tidbit of knowledge about Gibraltar:]
  • @AngerManagement -- Have you been adding to your post above?
    Anyway, no more corrections today, so you can leave it there. Thanks
  • Hey @mvnla2

Great Thread!!

I visited right now as a small Austrian :-)

Germany
    Belgium
    Netherlands
    Italy
    Fürstentum Liechtenstein (Principality of Liechtenstein)
    Switzerland
    Slovenia
    Croatia
    Hungary
    Czech Republic
  • I've visited these countries:

Sweden
    Denmark
    Germany
    Russia
    France
    Estonia

I would love to travel more, but the thing keeping me from doing that is that I'm ssooooo afraid of flying. Maybe someday...
  • I have visited the Soviet Union (USSR) before it broke up.
  • @GreenImperial -- Do you know the current names of the countries for the places you visited in the USSR?
  • @Lisko I hate flying too, but I just get on the hateful plane, grit my teeth, get off, and then travel, normally by train or boat. Just once a year some horrid long haul flight, and then see the world. Sometimes organised, like a cruise, sometimes book it all myself, before hand, sometimes, when I was younger, just go and see where I ended up.
    Please try it, the places I've seen, the food I've eaten, the people you meet - especially on a train
  • @mvnla2 Um what did you mean by ''your pin''? Sorry couldnt catch what u meant in the reply
  • @lamia, 'pin' that is in mvnla2 ABN member map.
  • @mvnla2

Why didn't you add Liechtenstein in the catagory "others"??
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!