Touch-screen users - fingers vs stylus? - Or even a mouse vis USB:OTG?
  • To all of you playing AB on a touch screen device (phones and tablets) - what is your preferred method of control?

I am fully expecting Samsung Galaxy Note, Note II, Note 10.1, &c... users to say the S-Pen, because I have played with one in store and if I hadn't already got my SIII, it would have been the Note II.

But for all of those without a digitized stylus, do you prefer finger or stylus - and if stylus, which one do you use?

Also, has anyone tried USB: On The Go? With a cheap cable you are supposed to be able to use 90% of USB devices with the latest mobiles (SII, SIII, some Motorola's, &c...)

Here is a YouTube vid showcasing USB:OTG with the SGSIII.

• 26 Comments
  • I prefer using my fingers to play angry birds
  • Me 2 I also like 2 use the mouse but I only play the online angry birds games on the computer but I play angry birds on my iPhone 2
  • I haven't tried a stylus with this iPad, but it seems my hand would cramp up more readily. I like to play with my hand stretched out a bit, and sometimes a thumb on the edge to steady my hand. Old, arthritic hands need all the help they can get ;
  • I've been playing with a stylus on an iPad for some time now, and really think it is the way to go. (BTW -- I have never considered my fingers unnecessarily large until I started AB.) I am using a Kuel H10, which at the time I bought it had the finest tip available. The advantage is that it allows you to be more precise with your aiming, and you can use other fingers than the thumb to steady your hand, if desired (I sometimes do). The disadvantage is that you can be precise in your aiming, and shoot nearly identically wrong shots time after time. I forget who it was that pointed out that the variability introduced by the inaccuracy of your flinging finger can be an advantage sometimes. It took a while to get used to, but my hand doesn't cramp even after marathon days like yesterday.
  • flinger, i'd try stylus but i don't know how to get one
  • I just got a stylus for my iPad. I would say it depends on how you play. If you usually have your device on a table or desk in front of you, then a stylus is without-a-doubt easier to manage. It allows you to see a bit more precisely what you are doing, especially when you need to target a specific area with Han (Star Wars) or the Lazer bird (Space).

If, on the other hand, you play with your device in your hand, then a stylus will not be beneficial.
  • The only level on handhelds where a stylus would really help us fat-thumbs is the one in ABS Mooncake Festival where you have to destroy that brick in front of the bridge to expose the mooncake. My thumb is always in the way of where I need to angle the shots.
  • I am finger flinger.
    I play on phone, holding phone in left hand and playing with right hand's thumb and index finger.
    I also play on iPad which I hold on desk in its' smartcover. I couldn't find Stylus in Sarajevo as our dealer for Apple sold them out and non other stores hold them at all.
    However I'd like to read any advices which one you (all) can recomend, price isn't important I'd pay up to 40 dollars for good pen.
  • @cosmo2503 -- I got my stylus from Amazon -- If you have access to on-line retailers, you might try there. The stylus I bought (see above) is not made by Apple. I did some research on line, and bought the one with the finest point.
  • @cosmo2503

I cannot really recommend ANY stylus. I have a combination ball-point pen/stylus made by Kensington - but the rubber is too squidgy and sticky for my liking.

There are a few reviews here that might help: http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/iphoneandipodtouchapps/ss/Best-Stylus.htm

Generally the Wacom Bamboo gets good reviews, and the DAGI, oStylus and GoSmart look interesting. But I cannot recommend any as I have no experience of them.

I am kicking myself for getting the Galaxy S3 and not waiting for the Galaxy Note II - having played with the S-Pen, it is everything a stylus should be and more. I might get a C-Pen, but reviews are mixed on them.

My Kensington is a bit like that Boxwave.

• As I said earlier: I am using a Kuel H10, which at the time I bought it had the finest tip available.
    I am very happy with it. Don't remember where I found the comparisons.
  • @mvnla2 and @cmdrbond thank you both a lot. I willcheck how to buy it from Amazon.
  • @everyone we have a family I pad I use quite a bit we have a stylus to use which I use a little bit but often. The stylus type is gecko
  • Maybe you should add "... or motion control". I saw a tv plays AB and it's controlled by hand motion
  • I just remembered this thread. I got my first stylus for this iPad about a week ago, and now I wouldn't fling without one. I need one with a finer tip, and a bit firmer, but even the one I have now has helped a lot with more consistent shots. The big bonus for me, and the reason I decided to try one, was my aching, arthritic fingers. Now I can fling 18 hours straight :D
  • He, i play BP with stylus and it doesn't want to respone every I touch with the stylus :P
  • I use my fingers on iPad.

One tip: when playing Space (where there's no up or down) and those levels in Star Wars similar to Space (with asteroids etc) I find I get a much better aim by using the pad in the portrait position.
  • I play angry birds on a Tablet, I sometimes play the tournament on the computer and find the finger is much easier than a mouse.
  • I just got a stylus today, nothing special, one of the cheapest ones I could find, small & compact. Stig is what it says on the side. (Shrug) Got a top score today playing with the stylus. Coincidence? I dunno. Haven't been playing with it long enough.
  • Not long after getting a cheap stylus, I knew I needed something better. After reading reviews, and noticed it on sale, I bought the Bamboo. I am pretty happy with it, but am still looking for something better yet with smaller tip. I also have long, slim hands, so it would be nice if it was about an inch longer.

I can't believe I played so long without a stylus!
  • @BPC -- Let us know if you find something better. I also just recently got a bamboo, and so far like it a lot. I've been through 4 Kuel H-10's in the last year or so. As I said, the Keuls supposedly had the smallest tip available at the time. The Kuels come with a small hole in the tip, which ends up tearing, and Kuel doesn't sell replacement tips. They are still good for anything except AB. I also have a TrueGlide, which has sort of a metal-mesh tip. I rarely use it for AB, because the touch doesn't always register.
  • @mvnla2, One problem I had with the Bamboo was cosmetic, but it can happen with any stylus with a clip. The clip can chip the enamel and your stylus can end up looking like this

http://angrybir.de/11FpMIA

You can unscrew the small cap at the tip to remove the clip. I also find it more comfortable to hold now.
  • There Are Some Fantastic And Cheap Styluses Made In (EVEN) Iran , Check Out http://www.mytonb.com/products/555-stylus-for-capacitive-touchscreens.aspx
  • And I Tried This Stylus With Nexus 7 To Play AB:SW And It Worked Great!
  • @BPC -- Ugly -- I would ask them for a replacement. I'm surprised the clip would do that much damage. I have removed it, since I have no use for it anyway.
  • The chip in the enamel started out quite small, but is steadily growing larger. I bought it on Amazon and not worth the bother to return. I'll live with it for now.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!