discussions for PC users Page 4
  • 235 Comments
  • I loaded the new Seasons, got the error message but eventually discovered what they'd done, made a new shortcut and it works. BUT ... all I could find that was new was three bonus levels at the foot of the Winter Wonderham page. The same three bonus levels (which I'd already 3-starred) were repeated at the foot of the next (bonus) page. Where are the 6 new levels supposed to be?
  • Check Haunted Hogs as well, @Kewpie
  • Thanks for the prompt response. Now I feel stupid for not having thought of that.
  • Rovio is working on them actively. I think there was a bug in their coding -- perhaps related to the future of the Rovio Cloud/Sync system.
  • Thanks @amslimfordy. At least it's nice to know there might actually be a reason we are not getting updates. I mean 6 paltry bonus levels in over 2 months? Hope they get it straightened out soon.
  • So what is the Cloud/Sync system?
  • Patience @waimea, you can play the Pig Tales new 15 levels on Facebook meanwhile.
  • Has anyone found a work-around or heard about an update in the pipeline to fix the ATI blurry/low resolution bug?

(My card is an older ATI x850xt, but more than enough to push out Angry Birds at 1920x1200.)
  • Well, I just did one of my regular checks in Angry Birds Star Wars to see if we go Cloud City yet. Yet.

Usually the app is pretty good about prompting you to update when you launch it if there's a new version, but I've been in high tech for decades, and in charge of software development teams myself, so I never really trust anything to work the same way twice. So this time I actually clicked on the image for Cloud City, which still says "Coming Soon," even though that train left the station a while ago.

Not sure if this is new or now, but I get a cute little popup that asks "What do you think the next planet will be? Like us on Facebook for hints!"

My apologies if someone has already vented a rant about this here. However, this got my dander up for a few reasons:

1. Do they mean the next planet -- Cloud City -- that has already been released on most of (all?) the other platforms for several weeks now? Because apparently Rovio thinks we all live in some far corner of the galaxy, where we are unaware of what our fellow Angry Bird fans are playing on other devices. I don't think I need any "hints."

2. I "Liked" Angry Birds on Facebook a long, long time ago. Rovio knows that, because that's the way the whole Facebook thing works; otherwise there would be no point. So why do I keep seeing messages -- even, astoundingly, in the Facebook Friends and Facebook Star Wars games themselves -- asking me to "Like" Angry Birds?

If you're asking me to give you information about me on a social platform, and then don't use that information to at least stop pestering me to give you the same information when I actually can't give you the information more than once, that's just really, really lazy user experience design. Or incompetent coding -- depends on who got to make the call.

I've done user experience design -- including for Facebook apps -- for well over a decade, and on this point, I know whereof I speak.

As User Experience Designers, this is, and always has been, one of our primary commandments:

Thou shalt not ask the User repeatedly for Information that the User hast already provided thee. Unless thou hast a very, very good Reason, In which case, though hast better be prepared to provide a Reason that is entirely unto the User's benefit. Otherwise, thou hast sinned against the User, and should come no longer before the User to beseech the User for anything whatsoever.

If this were a rinky dink little startup with no aspirations to glory, I could easily overlook something this basic. But sorry -- if you can negotiate a creative collaboration with George Lucas, and figure out how to make gravity work in ways we never would have thought of, and get the freakin' Mars Rovers included as part of your game...you can certainly check whether the user has already Liked you, and not keep pestering us for ego stroking like an insecure puppy.

Whoa! That was a bit harsh wasn't it? Yeah, I think it was maybe a little harsh. Apparently, harsh is the way I've chosen to roll on this particular issue.

No need to discuss; I've said my piece, thank you all for pausing at the street corner while the demented woman rants on and on about trivial nonsense. Thank you for your time; really, you've been most kind...
  • @junkenmetel -- I don't think your experience is unique to PC. I've gotten the same thing on iPad. I unfriended AB, and then refriended them. Maybe they count that as 2 Facebook likes? If so, I think that's cheating. Anyway, you might want to send an e-mail to Rovio directly. There is contact info on their website. They eventually provide a real response.
  • The only problem contacting Rovio is that you usually just get a generic response with very little information. I have contacted them a few times over the last month and a half about the lack of updates for the PC and their response has been be patient and its coming soon.
  • Thanks @mvnla2. It would be interesting to hear what they have to say about being a company known for generally quite "smart" interactions, and then making about the lamest beginner mistake you can make. It's possible there are technical reasons behind it, but based on my experience designing a Facebook app myself, I don't believe that's true. I think they're just being lazy. And my Spider Sense is telling me that a decision like that was made by some Higher Up over-ruling a Subject Matter Expert, so if I can help someone in the trenches at Rovio fight the good fight, then I'll be happy to do so.

Not that I really believe that giving them my two cents will really make any difference; I haven't been in professional services for over a decade without learning some things...

@3star-jeff, I'm sure you're right about the generic response any query about When Are We Going to Get X on the PC; at this point, there isn't really much that their customer service team can do.

Something has Gone Awry somewhere, either in the allocation of resources, or in some bug they are having trouble fixing before release, or the way code has to be written or ported or whatever. But I also know from experience that is not the sort of dirty linen you air in public; you duke it out amongst yourselves, and either you figure out a way to do better, or you change your messaging to re-calibrate future expectations. Or you continue to keep making the same mistake and suffer the consequences.

Depends whether or not at some point people start voting with their wallets, and to what degree.
  • Keep an eye on our update log and our Twitter feed for release information.
  • @junkenmetel, you and @truckdriver are a match made in heaven.
  • @WereWolf69 -- First, hello dear friend!

Secondly, since I'm not acquainted with @truckdriver (Hello @truckdriver), I'm not really sure how to take your comment. But I'm going to go with the idea that we both amuse the hell out of you, since that's a pretty safe default position. :-)

Oh, now that I look at @truckdriver's recent activity (apologies, TD, for the mild stalking behavior), I see that he recently said to you:

"@werewolf69, unfortunately the “mildly sane” train done left the depot, and all I got left is to join Ozzy on his crazy train!"

May I remind you, WW69, that we are known by the company we keep. And birds of a feather and all that nonsense.

However, I am truly grateful whenever I stumble across an appreciative audience for my particular brand of absurdist nonsense. It is the literal truth that within about 15 minutes of meeting me in real life, most people say "Oh, you're so...*funny*." And by funny, I think they really mean slightly disturbing, but in an interesting way.

Which I take to be the highest form of compliment.

@AMslimfordy -- thank you so much for being kind enough to post a response, and allow me the opportunity to thank you for all the hard work you do to keep us up-to-date about what's new and what's coming (plus all the other amazing stuff you do). I absolutely rely on the Updates page to make sure I have the latest version of all the games. And thank you, also, for being such a patient moderator and calmly listening to the endless, uh, impatient fussing about when updates will arrive.

You really should just smack us all upside our little bird-brain heads and tell us to grow up, simmer the heck down, and go develop alternative obsessions to keep us occupied for a couple of weeks. You are much, much kinder to us than we deserve. Thank you, really.

There, that's a lovely start to my day...let me flit off and see what other trouble I can manage to cause...
  • Hello @junkenmetel, first of all allow me to clarify something, it was never my intention to find you a soul-mate, the reason I made the comment was as a compliment to you and will become clearer to you as you spend more time on ABN and read other comments made by my dear friend @truckdriver

IMHO the guy is an absolute genius that just happens to have worked as a Software Developer in Silicon Valley for close to 15 years, hence the reason I made the comparison since it seemed obvious to me that you also possess similar qualifications, if I was mistaken and you just happen to enjoy throwing technical terms around, then please accept my sincerest apologies for my indiscretion.
  • @WereWolf69 - thank you for the very fine compliment, although I would have been equally flattered, as I'm sure you realize, to know that you thought I was, uh, shall we say...slightly eccentric. Which you should, because I work darn hard at that, you know. :-)

I look forward to getting to know @truckdriver, especially since he's a friend of yours. (What he will make out of me, on the other hand, heaven only knows...)

But I hope you are not laboring under some silly notion that I am a genius, or that I even have all that much of a clue about anything. I do happen to know about designing how a user interacts with software (or a website, or other virtual stuff like that), on account of doing it so long, and being pretty darn good at my job. I'm not a software developer, though. My work falls more under Digital Advertising and Marketing. It's really hard to explain what I do to anyone who isn't in the industry. And it's boring, so never mind.

Anyway, I know I had a point to make in here somewhere, let's see...Oh! Right. I actually hate throwing technical terms around, because this is actually part of my day job, and therefore falls immediately in the Not for Fun category. Sorry if I came off as a posturing posturer; I was working up a bit of a froth at the time, and that just results in general, uh, frothiness.

I try not to get on my high horse like that very often, because it's really easy to fall off and land in the mud. One thing I've learned over the years is that I really don't know much of anything, and I am less and less inclined to make judgments about anyone.

But Rovio went and got my dander up about something that happened to be in my little geeky part of the woods, and sometimes my dignity gets out from under me before I can get everything back under control.

Hope you are well, my friend!
  • Rovio had released ABO (15 Bad Piggies levels) & AB Rio Market Mayhem update half and month ago and ABSW Cloud City 20 days ago for iOS & Android. They had already release them also on Mac. If they could release them on Mac, why they did not release them on PC ? May be they have some bug in their coding as @AMslimfordy says. But its long time since Rovio released PC update i.e. it was AB Seasons v3.2.0 in which Rovio just include 6 bonus levels & a new icon.
  • @Aman, I totally agree with you. They stated on Facebook on Apr 3 that they were releasing them in a few days. Even with a bug in the code 1 and a half months to debug a program is a very long time. I wonder if they gave up on updates for the PC, although I sure hope not.
  • @3star_jeff They always says on twitter & Facebook about PC updates - "Its in the works, we will keep you posted on that"..... Now we have to see that they will release PC updates before AB Seasons update or not ? :-/
  • @Aman, @3star-jeff, I couldn't agree more. I'm pretty sure the admins are getting pretty tired of us poor neglected PCers complaints, but this IS our thread, so I think we have the right to bellyache when the time lag on updates is so egregious. At this rate, we will be behind everyone on the leaderboards by 6 months.
    Not that the fine folk who run this site have any say in when we get an update, but I can't hope but that the squeaky wheel will get some grease. So squeak...squeak....
  • I'm wondering if they overhauled the PC code and it's causing more problems than they expected.
    It might put a hold on updates.
  • @waimea I agree with exactly with what you said. My complaints are with Rovio not the admins of this site. I feel like if nobody voices the concerns of PC users, we will get overlooked even more.
    @Landstander, I was thinking the same thing, but if they had that huge of a problem wouldn't you just roll back the code and just give the level updates and keep working on the major overhaul in the background. That is the usual way of coding, don't bite off more than you can chew.
  • I, for one, think they have too many irons in the fire. Diversifying this rapidly without servicing the current product doesn't sound like good business sense. But I guess that's for Rovio to know and for us to wait.
  • @waimea @3tar_jeff @Landstander Now we have to just wait for PC updates to come.
    May be they have some big problem in their PC coding.
  • I don't know if I speak for the majority of PC users or not, but I wouldn't mind paying a couple dollars for updates. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but Rovio apparently is trying to make money on powerups that don't work as well on PC, so I would expect if they had a way to make money with PC updates, they would be more timely with the updates. I'LL PAY!!!!!!!
  • @stocktoad Charging for an update might be MORE difficult than introducing Power Ups.
  • Again, a second daily challenge in one week that PCers are left out of. @stocktoad....yeah, I'd pay! It's pretty obvious. Their bread and butter is apps and we are not considered lucrative.
  • Speculation without evidence is dangerous.
  • I probably would pay for updates if that was the system and IF the prices would be reasonable. I'm not sure how that would work on PC though. When the PU's came to other devices I remember someone said something that they didn't come to PC versions 'cause those in-app purchases wasn't working on PC (correct me if I'm wrong). If that's the case, how could new levels be purchased?

I also think that if PC users should pay for updates, others should pay for them too. And there's also A LOT of players who wouldn't be able to buy the updates (doesn't own a credit card or parents not willing to pay...) so I don't think that it would be fair either.

I would love to see the updates PC is missing at the moment, but I'm also pretty sure that they've got their reasons why those haven't been released yet.
  • Then it might be nice if they put out an announcement to say why they have ceased providing updates at this time, instead of just leaving us hanging. I agree, speculation without evidence is dangerous, but if they would give us an explanation, instead of the ever constant 'coming soon', we wouldn't have to speculate so much.
  • I would not pay for updates but I´m really tired of waiting for the Rio, Star wars and original update to land on PC. This is way to long time to wait, I purchases the PC version that was very expensive and still the updates comes much later then on android where it´s free...
    But I could understand that more people play on android and iOS so Rovio wants the updates to land their s soon as possible.
    But now I really hop that the PC updates are soon going to come, I´m checking every day for updates...
  • I totally agree with @waimea. All Rovio has to do is keep us informed. I have to believe that most of us are intelligent human beings. When we pay for something with the expectation that updates will be provided in a somewhat expeditious fashion and then hear nothing, it feels a bit like a rip-off, especially considering other platforms have been updated.
  • Except Rovio IS informing users. Everyday in fact.

7 hours ago: "There are a few technical hitches causing the delay but we're working around them"

Yesterday: "Sorry for the delay, we are still releasing them but there are a few technical hiccups. You know we like to get them out asap :)"
  • @AMslimfordy - That's all very well and good but I (and apparently a myriad of others) haven't received any notification. How do you receive yours?
  • Those weren't addressed to me. Those are publicly-viewable posts from the Angry Birds Twitter account.
  • Ah ha! I don't use Twitter any more. Thanks @AMslimfordy.
  • You must have to be following them on twitter. When I go there I can't find those messages. Actually I just emailed Rovio about the delays and they didn't say anything about technical problems. Just the same thing "coming soon". It would have been very nice if they would have said what they did on twitter.
  • 3star-jeff If you're on PC, you might have to adjust the filter. I think there's an option near the top that says "With Replies / Without Replies"? I believe Without is chosen by default, whereas With is what we want for this specific circumstance. Sorry if my description is vague, but I haven't been on Twitter on PC in a while.

Also, the employee(s) who man the Twitter account are not the same who reply to support@ or contact@ emails.

Last, the amount of information that Rovio employees are allowed to divulge varies with time. A couple weeks ago, perhaps they were not at liberty to say "technical problems". Perhaps now they are.
  • @AMslimfordy I found the filter option. That worked perfect. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!
  • I would rather wait for a well prepared update than get an update with bugs and issues. If they are saying that there's technical problems, there probably is some. Why would they lie about that? I'm sure they're doing everything they can to get those new updates out 'cause the longer it takes, the more they're getting negative feedback and who would want that?
  • Why do my comments keep getting deleted?
  • @thebrown - I haven't seen any comments from you? Where have you commented - in the forum or somewhere else?
  • in this forum. I submitted a post a couple hours ago about my frustration with the total lack of support for PC users and it was deleted a few minutes later. This isn't the first time it's happened.
  • 3 hours ago: @AngryBirds: I know it's taking a while, this is mainly due to some technical issues we are resolving. I'm sorry!
  • Those are some pretty serious technical issues. What I don't understand is how they can keep developing new games and new updates before resolving the "technical issues" they are having with the PC versions. It really makes no sense.
  • The people who develop the levels are different people than implementation for each platform.
This discussion has been closed. Please check the new forum.
← All Discussions
Post in the New Forum!